Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

axeil posted:

Honestly tonight's results make me think there just might be a chance that Doug Jones wins AL-SEN next month.

Easy, big fella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
I gotta say, as a VA resident, I'm super stoked about what this portends to medicare expansion in the ol' commonwealth. Also 2020 redistricting.

Man, I've needed this so bad since last November. It's like a little bit of cloud lifted from my brain.

Existential dread still, but at least *my* state is ok for now.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

axeil posted:

Honestly tonight's results make me think there just might be a chance that Doug Jones wins AL-SEN next month.

The Dems are going to dump what money they can and boost his chances however they can. This race shows that Democrats know how to win elections, especially against Trumpy folks like Gillespie and Moore. It'll be tight, but they'll have the best shot at Alabama for probably a decade or more.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Larry Krasner won the DA race in Philly. He's AWESOME.

I’m still surprised he hasn’t gotten more national press. It’s a pretty radical move. Rebecca Rhynhart too. Philly is shifting away from machine Democrats in a big way.

My lawyer friend is not happy with Krasner, surprise surprise.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B B posted:

I grew up in Fredericksburg! :hfive:

What’s up Fredericksburg friends. Stafford County ex-pat.

We bout to do it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Teddybear posted:

The Dems are going to dump what money they can and boost his chances however they can. This race shows that Democrats know how to win elections, especially against Trumpy folks like Gillespie and Moore. It'll be tight, but they'll have the best shot at Alabama for probably a decade or more.

Alabama is not Virgina. I can not concieve of the electoral gymnastics neccesary for that to happen.

But gently caress it lets go.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Teddybear posted:

If Alabama goes blue the GOP will choke on their own impotent rage

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

axeil posted:

r/the_donald sister subreddit and nazi-recruiting, misogynist platform r/incels got banned tonight too

:laffo:

Oh hey in the end they got hosed after all

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Petr posted:

:golfclap:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Your Boy Fancy posted:

What’s up Fredericksburg friends. Stafford County ex-pat.

We bout to do it.

I literally drove to Fredericksburg from school in Williamsburg because I was like "maybe my mom and sister's suffering in Cole's awful campaign could mean something" after I forgot to sign up for absentee.

It turns out not so much, but I helped make Northam a landslide. :unsmith:

(Spotsylvania ex-pat, family moved into the city proper four years ago.)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Teddybear posted:

The story I quoted upthread from July makes me wonder if this DNC isn't better suited for statewide up & down ballot elections than it is for the specials we'd seen prior to today (and will see in AL-SEN).

B B
Dec 1, 2005

hopeandjoy posted:

I literally drove to Fredericksburg from school in Williamsburg because I was like "maybe my mom and sister's suffering in Cole's awful campaign could mean something" after I forgot to sign up for absentee.

(Spotsylvania ex-pat, family moved into the city proper four years ago.)

I actually grew up in Spotsylvania, but I say "Fredericksburg" so that people in NOVA know what I'm talking about. :) I also went to W&M!

Thanks for the vote, btw!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

Tribe pride?

I moved out of VA last year but it's still my real home and I'm overjoyed tonight. Pat on the back for all of you who organized this blowout. I'm so happy Bob Marshall went down.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I am loving astonished about the Philly DA.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Petr posted:

lol

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Teddybear posted:

The secret is having an actual Southerner running in a Southern state. Northam is a bona fide Virginian while Gillespie is a New Jersey invader.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
So what happens in the VA HoD if there's a 50/50 tie? Does the Lt. Governor tie-break?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

The story I quoted upthread from July makes me wonder if this DNC isn't better suited for statewide up & down ballot elections than it is for the specials we'd seen prior to today (and will see in AL-SEN).

the specials were all in really red places and the Dems were still doing 10-15 points better than they were in 16. Just wasn't enough to put 'em over the top.

But now? Now we have a real victory not just a moral victory.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CAAAAAAAAAAM

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/928094498974044160

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Office Pig posted:

I am loving astonished about the Philly DA.

I️ mean he won when he won the nomination. The big surprise was when he won the primary. But yeah it’s great!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Your nightly reminder that Danica Roem, who just kicked bigot Bob Marshall's bigot rear end, is the frontwoman for this band

https://cabridehome.bandcamp.com/album/crash-the-gate

she rules hard

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

cheetah7071 posted:

The fox news take seems to be that the Rs didn't embrace trump hard enough

Good. He's the anvil we're going to break them on.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yes 3 to 1 Virginians say their vote was to oppose Trump but really they should have embraced him more.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yessssss :getin: :boom:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

JeffersonClay posted:

Good. He's the anvil we're going to break them on.

Trump can not fail he can only be failed.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ewiley posted:

So what happens in the VA HoD if there's a 50/50 tie? Does the Lt. Governor tie-break?

yes

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://www.facebook.com/podsaveamerica/videos/327460587723337/

Pod Save America is on FB live if you're a fan of them.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Danica Roem is going to be on Lawrence O'Donnell's show tonight!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

gently caress YES I didn't realize that. That means the Dems only need to pick up 3 of the remaining 7.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So do Democrats for sure get to challenge the district mapping before they go up for reelection or only if they take the House of Delegates?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Northam probably still working on his speech, didn't expect to have to take the stage this early lol

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

So do Democrats for sure get to challenge the district mapping before they go up for reelection or only if they take the House of Delegates?

They at bare minimum have veto power over them.

House of Delegates is up again in 2019 though so if they fail to take it they get a second bite at the apple. And the state senate is up that year too (21-19 in the GOP's favor right now)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axeil posted:

https://www.facebook.com/podsaveamerica/videos/327460587723337/

Pod Save America is on FB live if you're a fan of them.

if i a ran a leftist podcast id just record me saying 'lol' as the episode

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for all the hard work Fancy (knew I recognized your name from the recovery thread) and everyone else who worked this election. I'm still waiting on results for the county races we were working on here in NJ, stoked for the VA results. Best birthday I've had in awhile.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

axeil posted:

They at bare minimum have veto power over them.

House of Delegates is up again in 2019 though so if they fail to take it they get a second bite at the apple. And the state senate is up that year too (21-19 in the GOP's favor right now)

I'm not sure I understand. Somebody was asking in USPOL about whether or not the Dem gains would survive gerrymandering.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/928097377365479432

:getin:

Get

The

gently caress

IN

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I forgot my harikari sword, friendo

I hope you don’t mind.

All good dawg all is forgiven

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Ugh the projection is down to 9.1 :matters:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/WillDrabold/status/928089450600529921

Danica owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Somebody was asking in USPOL about whether or not the Dem gains would survive gerrymandering.

Redistricting will happen in 2020. Northam will serve until January of 2022 so even if the Dems fail to take the House or Senate they can't push through a GOP-favored gerrymander.

However, there is another election before 2020 so even if the Dems fail to take the House they can try again in 2019.

• Locked thread