Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've been undecided on whether to grab a switch or not, because I was only really interested in Zelda at the time before all these new games are coming out. I've also got about 5 WiiU games (and quite a few Wii games) to finish that put me off jumping on yet another console, but it'll probably take me the next year or so to play through those.

I was just wondering if it's expected that XBC2 was going to end up with the same stock scarcity as the first one? Hell, is it even a thing now if you can get it from a digital store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kin posted:

I've been undecided on whether to grab a switch or not, because I was only really interested in Zelda at the time before all these new games are coming out. I've also got about 5 WiiU games (and quite a few Wii games) to finish that put me off jumping on yet another console, but it'll probably take me the next year or so to play through those.

I was just wondering if it's expected that XBC2 was going to end up with the same stock scarcity as the first one? Hell, is it even a thing now if you can get it from a digital store?

Yes, you can preorder it on the eShop right now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's already pre-puchasable on the Switch eShop or whatever they're calling it as of today, according to this morning's Direct.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kin posted:

If you're seriously that desperate for a physical release, no it will not be a XB1 situation. That was a very specific type of fuckery in which NA Nintendo did not want to localize it due to projected bad sales, and EU Nintendo picked up the tab and localized it themselves. Then NA Nintendo cribbed that version to gamestop orders.

They are heavily advertising XB2, especially since Monolith is a 1st party team (to the point of helping development with Zelda BOTW).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kin posted:

I was just wondering if it's expected that XBC2 was going to end up with the same stock scarcity as the first one?

The first didn't have stock scarcity. No one wanted it and eventually stock ran out because they stopped making them. Then they realized people did want it and it got made again.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Now that I think about it I would have rather had a tacky Elder Scrolls tie-in costume in BOTW than a XC2 one.

But then again it'd have probably just been the basic armor the Dragonborn is shown wearing in any advertisements and merchandise that BOTW already kinda has a version of.

No cool Dwemer armor or anything like that.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wish that XBC2 had a fully British voice cast like the first did.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

If you're seriously that desperate for a physical release, no it will not be a XB1 situation. That was a very specific type of fuckery in which NA Nintendo did not want to localize it due to projected bad sales, and EU Nintendo picked up the tab and localized it themselves. Then NA Nintendo cribbed that version to gamestop orders.

They are heavily advertising XB2, especially since Monolith is a 1st party team (to the point of helping development with Zelda BOTW).

And after XB1 sold far beyond what Noa had every thought possible XBX's announcement included "and yes it'll be getting an English release eventually" as part of the announcement.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I am addicted to 100%ing Odyssey like I haven’t been with a game before Nintendo what have you done

Gave up on Darker side of the moon timed challenge. Nope. Never again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/IntelligenTom/status/928072509114560512

I love this game.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Upcoming games that I am excited to play while on a train or in a coffee shop: Rocket League, DOOM, and LA Noire. Games that can suck my dingus: Weeaboo Sword Chronicles 2 and The Elder Scrolls “already bought it for 3 other systems” Skyrim

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

more like LA SNORE am i right

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TFRazorsaw posted:

It was a joke

Because an archaeologist can't dig up a digital game

I wasn't trying to disparage anything I was just trying to be funny
oh okay fair enough.

lelandjs posted:

Digital-only releases can be preserved indefinitely IF they can be hacked, ripped, and emulated.

Plus there’s a huge difference in experience between playing an emulated game and playing a hard copy on the original hardware. I played Picross 3D on my desktop with a mouse and keyboard and on my touchscreen laptop and smartphone, but it pales in comparison with the experience of playing it on an honest-to-goodness DS Lite.

[Edit: poo poo, I just picked up an old G3 iMac so I could play Spectre Challenger and Myst like how I remembered as a kid because I couldn’t get Sheepshaver to work correctly on my Macbook]
We are already at the point were a lot of retro consoles and computers are breaking down. If all games are to be preserved for future generations 'hacking, ripping and emulating' isn't an 'if' it's a when.

Also sadly the hardware we use to play games will change with time and most people won't seek out authentic experiences over convenient ones. There's a lot of games out there with pixel graphics intended to be displayed on a CRT screen, but even filters designed to emulate that appearance aren't very popular, for example.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sensual Simian posted:

Weeaboo Sword Chronicles 2

:vince:

Mods

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I beat Fire Emblem Warriors. I thought it was neat during the final fight how one by one all your friends get sucked back to their own worlds. It gave the fight a nice sense of progression, that you were fixing the world by fighting this dragon.

It was slightly ruined at the end when there's a bunch left. I guess they were the main ones from the old games? I don't give a poo poo, I never used boy Marth or his girlfriend. We never teamed up in battle. Why does he get to say a special goodbye instead of my girls Lissa and Cordelia? It was hosed up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nintendo Switch: Weaboo Sword Chronicles

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

more like LA SNORE am i right

LA Noire was an interesting game 6 years ago and really tried to do something new and unique with the extremely detailed facial mo-cap but the game design and choice options completely removed any sense of nuance for the facial reactions. You ended up with a textbook guilty facial reaction and the options were "believe everything he says" or "TAKE HIM OUTSIDE AND SHOOT HIM HE'S GUILTY"

It was still a fun game and a pretty decent story, but if they had just expanded on more casual things to do outside of the linear chapter story mode the game would've been way more then the 8-10 hours max you could get from it.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
I never played it the first time around, so it will be a new experience for me. It would be cool if Rockstar ported Vice City & stories to Switch, but ill be content playing as an off brand Elliot Ness.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I um...I found what else brings Mario Odyssey down for some people: (linked thread has spoilers for the ending of the game)

quote:

While most AAA games, including even male power fantasyish games have made a lot of progress since the 360 era in terms of how they portray women -- Mario games remain the most horrifically sexist games in the mainstream. It's just considered acceptable by most because the packaging is cute and whimsical, but I still wonder how little children, girls and boys, are supposed to internalize it when the "first lady of Nintendo" is, again and again, nothing other than the motivation for Mario to have an adventure. He doesn't even care about her, he doesn't care that she's about to be raped by a monster -- He's laughing and smiling and whooping and trying on fun outfits. He doesn't care. She's just a thing that shouldn't belong to bowser and should belong to him.

:yikes:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Well I fully beat Odyssey. What a ride. The very last level was as touching as it was hard.

I still have about 20000 coins left to grind but I doubt I will bother. Even the suggested stage for that gets old pretty fast.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
the real problem is the jump rope

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Calling Bowser a monster is racist.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I um...I found what else brings Mario Odyssey down for some people: (linked thread has spoilers for the ending of the game)

I made the mistake of reading a few pages of that thread. Someone actually said they haven’t done any of the moons where you find Peach in the different kingdoms post-game because he’s upset she was ungrateful for her rescue.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
who cares about the story in a mario game, cmon people

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bing_commander posted:

the real problem is the jump rope

After about 30 reps, tossing Cappy on every jump will get you through with no trouble

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Back in my day we spent hours trying to get 100 super jumps in SMRPG and liked it. :corsair:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

what a weird take. in the ending, i thought the opposite was true: it's Peach that doesn't care about Mario and Bowser's stupid antics. and why should she? she's a cool princess seeing the world, with an enormous list of potential suitors from every race imaginable and a legion of weird loving mushroom men at her command. in the end Mario's motivation to have an adventure is not encouraged or even really participated-in by Peach.

what i love about mario odyssey is basically how it sort of cribs the worldbuilding from Adventure Time, which is also an enthusiastic nonsensensical mash of aesthetics and ideas.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I am extremely respectful of Princess Peach

I thought "this children's game is actually ExTreMeLy hosed Up AnD DaRk" takes were annoying but this might top them

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

lol. There he is, that's the guy that tipped the scales and made Trump win :sad:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got Steamworld Dig 2 off reviews and seeing “indie portable Metroidvania.” I didn’t play the first one so I don’t really know what’s going on with the plot but it’s really fun. I like the exploration and it’s perfect for the Switch in its pick up and play-ness. :)

I really like the indie store on the Switch, it’s got some real gems in there. Not like trying to wade through garbage in Steam.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Mario makes me very sad because I personally relate to Toad and never get my time in the spotlight. Mario and Bowser are Eiffel Towering Princess Peach and Im still wearing diapers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sensual Simian posted:

Mario makes me very sad because I personally relate to Toad and never get my time in the spotlight. Mario and Bowser are Eiffel Towering Princess Peach and Im still wearing diapers.

Go play Captain Toad right now.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Captain Toad should absolutely get a Switch sequel, that game had such beautifully crafted little levels

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love one of the lines he gets in this game "How did I get here? I was dropped by a bird! Not my usual bird though!"

The original Captain Toad was great having those bonus levels showing how he ended up in the places you find him in 3D World, the same gimmick would work great for having him visit these kingdoms.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's already pre-puchasable on the Switch eShop or whatever they're calling it as of today, according to this morning's Direct.
Thanks for this, I skipped the Direct but I gave them my money because :retrogames:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want XBC2 to be good but I'm so certain it won't be :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I want XBC2 to be good but I'm so certain it won't be :(

If its another 70+ hours of bad combat where success is based almost entirely on level number im not interested. If the story is good i could hang for 20-30 hours. Deffo waiting for reviews.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Captain Toad should absolutely get a Switch sequel, that game had such beautifully crafted little levels

I heard captain toad described as “gaming comfort food” and that’s 1000% correct.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Real hurthling! posted:

If its another 70+ hours of bad combat where success is based almost entirely on level number im not interested. If the story is good i could hang for 20-30 hours. Deffo waiting for reviews.

Beating higher level enemies in XB1 and XBX was definitely possible, to an extent, and in XBX when you hit level 30 the Amadusias can kill level 50+ enemies (which power levels you like mad).

Also in XB1 enemies took fall damage so you could kill level 70+ enemies by using Melia to sleep them near a ledge and use one of her attacks with knockback to drop them off a cliff in to water, which instantly killed them.

Killing enemies through normal combat when they were a few levels above you definitely took some work but those games aren't meant to allow a Fallout or Elder Scrolls style situation of "level 1 player with rusty fork for weapon kills Brotherhood of Steel/Umbra-tier enemy."

(I killed umbra immediately after starting a new game in Morrowind. Took over 500 Chitin arrows and close to a week of in game time, IIRC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If they are above you by 5 levels you wiff forever and every enemy attack sets off a 20 second future vision. Game has some problems, mang

• Locked thread