Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I'm just glad that putting on a T-shirt will noticably increase my odds of surviving a blow from a chainsaw. The rules support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
A guardsman has a 1/6th chance of ignoring a melta shot that hit him

Think about it

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

Think about it

Are you suggesting that the brave men and women of the imperial guard aren't capable of surviving a direct melta hit 1/6th of the time? Their standard munitorum-issued flak armor is nearly impregnable, and only the finest specimens of humanity are graced with a posting in the Astra Militarum.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Are you suggesting that the brave men and women of the imperial guard aren't capable of surviving a direct melta hit 1/6th of the time? Their standard munitorum-issued flak armor is nearly impregnable, and only the finest specimens of humanity are graced with a posting in the Astra Militarum.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Boon posted:

I just stopped at my local store to see if there is a box and two things:
1. No
2. I just learned that my local store is the FFG headquarters

You better sign up for Combat Patrol at Renegade. I need players dammit.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

goose willis posted:

Think about it

Could just mean they ducked. Forge the narrative.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It is my sad duty to report that 5/6th of all Guardsmen are insufficiently pious to survive a direct strike by a melta weapon. however, 1/6th are pious enough to have their Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Prior in their hands at the moment of the attack, and the noble tome was consumed instead. :angel:

(Due note that such Emperor blessed Guardsmen must still report to their Commissar for punishment for losing their copy of the Primer!) :commissar:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Has anyone seen any IG Air-Cav lists in 8th? I've been searching around for the last few days and all I can find are theoryhammer posts and army lists with no followup as to how they did.

I'm looking at doing a new army from scratch, flamer heavy Catachan vet squads in Valkyries, and enough armor and boots on the ground to prevent turn-1 auto-loss (I'm thinking Hellhounds and command squads with 4 sniper rifles).

Arven fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 8, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Arven posted:

Has anyone seen any IG Air-Cav lists in 8th? I've been searching around for the last few days and all I can find are theoryhammer posts and army liw5w with no followup as to how they did.

I'm looking at doing a new army from scratch, flamer heavy Catachan vet squads in Valkyries, and enough armor and boots on the ground to prevent turn-1 auto-loss (I'm thinking Hellhounds and command squads with 4 sniper rifles).

I remember seeing a bit of discussion about trying to run a list with Stormtroopers and Valkyries over on Bolter and Chainsword. The person who'd tried it got beaten very soundly in a tournament, but this was also pre-codex so things may have changed a bit. My read is that Valkyries still aren't great compared to a lot of the other options guard have available, but the models are great and I'm certain a good player can make them work.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I've got a friend that's building a list with two MT platoons, two valks, and taurox primes supported by a cadian batt with infantry squads + lots of heavy weapons and either some sentinels or FW flyer. It's still probably a month from being ready though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Still planning out my DG purchases here for my upcoming payday and I had some follow up questions after reading over some of the rules and tactics articles:

-I'm overwhelmed by Plague Marine options here, are there some standard builds I should be looking at here? It was suggested that I keep the unit small to help with morale on one of the articles I read but how seriously should I take that?
-How important are the Daemon units? Plaguebearers seem superfluous and Plague Drones seem pretty good in such a slow army but thats just my gut take.
-Is there still tank shock in 8th? I've got some old editions floating around from a short live career in 7th and admiration from a distance in 5th.
-wtf is power?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Possible leak of some of the rebalancing for Chapter Approved on Faeit. Seems to be pretty decent for the most part- particularly what looks like a price drop for Inceptors- but this is Faiet so it could easily be bullshit.

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/11/chapter-approved-2017-coming-in.html

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool. I was just looking for rumors a bit ago. Looking forward to see what Deathwatch get.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Main thing I'm hoping for from Chapter Approved is Looted Wagons.

I'm prepared to be disappointed.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
For anyone who is interested, Wargames Foundry https://www.wargamesfoundry.com are closing down their 2000AD line and having an accompanying 25% sale. Ends 15 Nov. I have already got Nemesis and Torquemada for my Cult Militia horde.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Stormraven would be 20 pts more expensive, hurricane bolters 2 pts more expensive. My standard loadout would be shooting up to a solid 350 points. Probably deservedly so but ouch.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hurricanes went up 6 points, from 4 per to 10 per according to that. It'd take my usual assault cannon + multimelta to 352, up from 311.

Still totally worth it but more fairly priced. And part of that will be offset by the terminator librarian I like putting in it becoming 29 points cheaper.

I'm hoping the 45 point inceptor thing is true. That'd let me put a 5th one into my squad and still save 15 points. Or proxy the 4 I have as plasma ones.

I doubt this is true because of 18 point intercessors though. That's some ridiculous wish fulfillment.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 8, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Hurricanes went up 6 points, from 4 per to 10 per according to that. It'd take my usual assault cannon + multimelta to 352, up from 311.

Still totally worth it but more fairly priced. And part of that will be offset by the terminator librarian I like putting in it becoming 29 points cheaper.

I'm hoping the 45 point inceptor thing is true. That'd let me put a 5th one into my squad and still save 15 points.

Oh right, the hurricane bolters were only 4 a piece before. Yeah, that was definitely pretty undercosted.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

chutche2 posted:

I'm hoping the 45 point inceptor thing is true. That'd let me put a 5th one into my squad and still save 15 points. Or proxy the 4 I have as plasma ones.

I doubt this is true because of 18 point intercessors though. That's some ridiculous wish fulfillment.

Consider intercessors cost 20 points current. I can get Grav-chute Reivers for basically that cost.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles are 21 points. Reivers with Bolt Carbines and Grav Chutes are 20 points. They are literally identical in every way except the Reivers can deep strike and have better pistols.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goose willis posted:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing I'm just curious lmao

Basically it's like Everlong right

Wrong music video
https://i.imgur.com/SJ98aYV.gifv

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Then change them in a way other than points?

Making them 18 points without changing tac marines means 7 tac marines are more points than 5 intercessors.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Strobe posted:

Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles are 21 points. Reivers with Bolt Carbines and Grav Chutes are 20 points. They are literally identical in every way except the Reivers can deep strike and have better pistols.

Yeah I'd say that elite slot is a pretty big difference....

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Pendent posted:

Possible leak of some of the rebalancing for Chapter Approved on Faeit. Seems to be pretty decent for the most part- particularly what looks like a price drop for Inceptors- but this is Faiet so it could easily be bullshit.

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/11/chapter-approved-2017-coming-in.html

If true that's some odd Sisters of Battle strategems, is it the character that gets to use the Act Of Faith? Could they then use the martyrdom act to get more wounds and hence not die? Or does the Act let someone else use it? Also the anti-psyker one is neat I guess, certanly better than the current SoB shield of faith that does nothing. At least it has yet to stop a single power for my army.

Relic makes sense and the warlord trait is serviceable if boring.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

AnEdgelord posted:

Still planning out my DG purchases here for my upcoming payday and I had some follow up questions after reading over some of the rules and tactics articles:

-I'm overwhelmed by Plague Marine options here, are there some standard builds I should be looking at here? It was suggested that I keep the unit small to help with morale on one of the articles I read but how seriously should I take that?
-How important are the Daemon units? Plaguebearers seem superfluous and Plague Drones seem pretty good in such a slow army but thats just my gut take.
-Is there still tank shock in 8th? I've got some old editions floating around from a short live career in 7th and admiration from a distance in 5th.
-wtf is power?

1. You either run them as 5 with max special weapons, or go full 20 and try to make use of the grenade strategem combo.
2. Almost all of the demons are not that useful. The Plaguebearers (and Nurglings) are the only really good ones IMO, but they're a tarpit unit. If you take PB in a 2nd chaos detachment then you won't be using Poxwalkers. PB are much, much better than Poxwalkers if both are completely unsupported. However, Poxwalkers are real good with Typhus + spell buffs.
3. No
4. Alternate to points.

I think best way to start DG is just get the DI starter, then trade the Primaris half for a second DG half. It is an extremely good start to a force. After that all of the following can be useful.
Mortarion
Typhus
2 Demon Princes
2 Plagueburst Crawlers
1 Biologius Putrifier

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
"Serviceable if boring" makes sense as index 1.5 rules. A bandaid until a proper codex.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Is there a preferred loadout for Tartaros Terminators? I was planning on just giving them dual lightning claws to rip and tear their way through whatever, I got a box of them at NOVA and haven't figured out what to do with them yet. If they're dropping to 26 ppm that'd be nice though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SRM posted:

Is there a preferred loadout for Tartaros Terminators? I was planning on just giving them dual lightning claws to rip and tear their way through whatever, I got a box of them at NOVA and haven't figured out what to do with them yet. If they're dropping to 26 ppm that'd be nice though.

Depends on how you use them really.

IMO, lightning claws if in a transport, storm bolters and powerfists if deep striking. If you fail your charge roll you don't want to be standing around like an rear end in a top hat, you at least pump some SB shots into stuff.

Maybe give the sgt a chainfist or power fist for 3 attacks that can threaten multiwound stuff, and free him up to take a plasma blaster.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Then change them in a way other than points?

Making them 18 points without changing tac marines means 7 tac marines are more points than 5 intercessors.

It also makes them cost the same as a combat squad with a lascannon which is how that works.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Those seem mostly reasonable. TWACBacks up to 124 from 100, Stormravens up slightly. Guilliman is 360 now right so he goes up by 25? In 2k Guilliman + Razors + Stormravens probably loses a unit and a half now.

My only concern is that the rest of the SM book is still kinda weak, so if those are true where do they go next?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

bonds0097 posted:

I guess I would have expected a similar 1/3 thing. Imagine fielding 2 batallions of MSU Dire Avengers and then spending 6 CP to drop 6 fire prisms or wave serpents full of 'bad stuff' behind enemy lines.

RAW it’s definitely unlimited on Cloudstrike, I guess the thinking being that it’s a more restrictive list of things that can do it and that the stuff doing it has more built in mobility. At least transports dropping in can’t disgorge passengers on the same turn.

I’m not sure this was good reasoning, especially as fire prisms exist. The reason dropping in three prisms for a putative tournament list is so attractive is that it gives you guaranteed first strike capability against any sort of nightmare lord of war.

Also, dual battalions? Let me tell you about Brigades my friend...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Phyresis posted:

They were the best unit in the Index and to the surprise of exactly no-one they are the best unit in the Codex (complete with an inexplicable decrease in their point cost). There were a few auctions for complete metal units (four + Exarch) up on eBay and I just missed them :shepicide:

I'd even... settle... for........ Finecast :gonk:

I have 10 Finecast Rangers. I previously had 10 metal ones, which were sold/traded for Imperial Guard stuff. I thought it would be better. I thought resin was a lighter material, better suited to gaming and conversions (I did some headswaps). I thought it was . . . progress. I was wrong.

The loving rifles won't stay straight. No matter how often I heat and bend them back, no matter how carefully I put them back into the carrying foam, I am absolutely stuck with 10 erectile-dysfunction-rifle snipers. Pisses me off to no end.

gently caress Finecast.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Last night I had my first game using Tyranid codex rules, a fairly casual one against World Eaters using the open war cards. The game was really entertaining thanks to some choice dice rolls at critical moments, and was a really good advert for GW's whole "forge the narrative" shtick. I'll definitely be using open war cards again if they result in more games like this. We got the super-nightfighting twist, which means the game starts with all psychic and shooting attacks limited to 12" and gradually increases. This slightly dented my ability to try out the new rules for my Tyrannofex and Hive Guard, but most of our other units were melee-focused anyway. We also drew the card that makes a single game-winning objective arrive at a random spot on turn 3, and who ever holds it at the end of turn 5 wins the game outright.

My opponent took Khârn, several squads of Berserkers, a Knight, Land Raider, & Havocs. I had a brigade padded out with lots of spore mines, rippers & gaunts, a Malanthrope/Tfex/Biovore firebase in my deployment zone, but most of my points were invested into a huge deep strike. Swarmlord dropped in a pod alongside a Trygon using the Jormangandr tunnel stratagem on several supporting infantry units.

I unleashed everything on turn 1. While my little firebase and Hive Guard couldn't do much due to the 12" limit, the first part of my deep strike did pay off. By using Hive Commander on the Genestealers that arrived via tunnel, they got a solid surround on a Rhino and prevented all the Berserkers disembarking when it exploded. They also managed to inflict enough wounds to kill Khârn himself, but a crucial CP invuln reroll saved him. The 'stealers were wiped out by relentless attacks from another Berserker squad, but got a couple of kills in return from Caustic Blood. After wounding it with the battlecannon, my opponent charged his Chaos Knight into the Trygon and proceeded to totally fluff his attacks, getting snake eyes on the two wound rolls. The Trygon retaliated and (thanks to Voracious Appetite) took a full half of the Knight's wounds.

(some of the Berserkers were proxied with terminators as my opponent left a box of minis at home)

The Land Raider managed to creep within shooting range to degrade my Tyrannofex with lascannons, however in my next turn the Rapid Regeneration stratagem let me recover enough wounds to bring it back to full effectiveness. It retaliated by stripping 10 wounds off the Land Raider with a Rupture Cannon, sidelining it for the rest of the game. The Swarmlord stepped in to support the Trygon and inflicted an incredible 17 wounds on the Knight - more than enough to kill it. The resulting explosion killed the Trygon, half the infantry that I brought up in the tunnel, Khârn, and several of his Berserker retinue. The Tyrant Guard successfully prevented the Swarmlord taking any damage from the explosion, but were wiped out by it before I could try out their new crushing claws. The explosion killed about 800pts between both armies.

Then the objective turned up in the one quarter of the board I had no units whatsoever. I had already burned my deep strike, so the only option was to make a beeline for that spot with everything I had left while my opponent tried to speedbump my units. The Swarmlord laughed off an assault from the Berserkers that had survived the Knight explosion, and carried on to Smite the only real threat to him in the form of the Havocs between him and the objective. The crippled Land Raider tried to block his path, only to be finished off by a Neurothrope dishing out Smite and Psychic Scream. Yet another explosion from that finished off the Havocs! This game was definitely directed by Michael Bay.

Using Hive Commander on itself the Swarmlord made it to the Rhino holding the game-winning objective and mulched it, unleashing the final Berserker squad for the start of the final turn. I burned my final few CP to deal with that, keeping the Swarmlord alive on half wounds into my 5th turn. With the final roll of the game he successfully used Smite to finish them off, tabling the World Eaters force at the same time as taking the game-winning objective.

So some thoughts on the new codex:
  • Without really trying to do so, I put out an impressive amount of mortal wounds during the game. Really tempted to try out a list with several Biovores / Neurothropes / Zoanthropes / Maleceptors to see what they can achieve.
  • The Swarmlord when properly supported is loving amazing. Literally took out over half of the enemy army himself.
  • Rupture cannon - great on the one turn it got to fire, although was a bit sidelined by the mission cards in this game
  • I need to pick up some Raveners for more Jormungandr infantry tunnel strikes without the points overhead of Trygons. It was a struggle to fit so many units around one and I didn't have enough points free to bring another.
  • The new stratagems are great. I didn't even have to resort to my plan B approach for the objective, which was to use Metabolic Movement to get Termagants or Rippers over to it in time. However Rapid Regeneration and Voracious Appetite swung things at crucial moments, as did the Tunnel Swarm / Hive Commander combo.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 8, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

xtothez posted:

*assorted gribbling*
Sounds interesting, I look forward to my first game against a tyranid player who knows what they're doing.

Finished my black reach terminators! :toot:

Its a drat shame people cant get ahold of these so easily anymore.

Ripped the worthless reaper cannon off my tartaros and now they're apparently getting a points drop so i look forward to getting those properly painted up soon. Next up though i need to finish my repulsor redemptor and whirlwind and then I'll officially have a fully painted 2k army.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

https://killhunger.deviantart.com/gallery/64678039/Lil-Space-Wolf-2017-costume

They walk among us and they are little girls

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 8, 2017

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

-I’m overwhelmed by Plague Marine options here, are there some standard builds I should be looking at here? It was suggested that I keep the unit small to help with morale on one of the articles I read but how seriously should I take that?
A solid standard is the minimum sized unit (MSU) with two special weapons and a plasmagun on the Champion. I tend toward two Blight Launchers, as they have solid range and fire rate but are only S6 and d3 damage. All plasma is another good standard (and easier to find the bitz for), as it allows you to overcharge if you want to risk losing models and their 18” rapid fire range makes them better than other armies.

Personally I would avoid melee options except for a powerfist, simply because the unit doesn’t have a ton of attacks and the stratagems/powers to cause mortal wounds aren’t really great for them unless you field a gigantic block, at which point you should be using a Biologus Putrifier and Blight Bombardment strat to inflict a ludicrous number of wounds/mortal wounds.

You can also just run boltgun barebones units for Troop filler, which isn’t terrible. But for the 26-28pts, tossing in special weapons is almost always preferred.

quote:

-How important are the Daemon units?
Avoid Daemon units unless you have a specific plan. Daemons (except the Prince) do not have the Death Guard keyword, which means they break your detachment for the purposes of getting Death Guard special rules.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
People who run plague marines in squads of 5 and not squads of 7 should have their models taken away

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

chutche2 posted:

People who run plague marines in squads of 5 and not squads of 7 should have their models taken away

This though is the most crucial advice.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
How foolish is this for an Emperor's Children army?

Actually, how foolish is it to go ahead and assemble/paint a Slaanesh-based army?

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [34 PL, 660pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Sorcerer [6 PL, 102pts]: Bolt pistol, Death Hex, Force sword, Infernal Gaze, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [14 PL, 257pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-plasma, Power axe
. Terminator: Combi-plasma, Power axe
. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Heavy flamer, Power axe

Helbrute [7 PL, 137pts]: Dual Blastmaster, Mark of Slaanesh, Missile launcher

Helbrute [7 PL, 164pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Twin lascannon
. Helbrute fist: Combi-bolter

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [42 PL, 731pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [5 PL, 94pts]: Intoxicating Elixir, Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh, Power fist

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 91pts]: Combi-plasma, Mark of Slaanesh, Power maul

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 80pts]: 19x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun, Mark of Slaanesh
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Noise Marines [11 PL, 222pts]
. 2x Marine w/ Blastmaster: 2x Blastmaster
. 7x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 7x Sonic Blaster
. Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

Noise Marines [11 PL, 172pts]: Icon of Excess, 8x Marine w/ chainsword
. Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Doom siren, Power axe

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [32 PL, 599pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Warpsmith [5 PL, 78pts]: Combi-bolter, Flamer, Mark of Slaanesh, Meltagun, Power axe

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator [9 PL, 159pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Predator autocannon
. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

Chaos Vindicator [8 PL, 137pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh

Havocs [10 PL, 225pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
. 5x Havoc w/ boltgun
. Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Autocannon
. Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher
. Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher
. Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Lascannon

++ Total: [108 PL, 1990pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

And is there anything to spend the last 10 points on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

That's actually quite fantastic. Way to doom that child to nerdom though...