Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I would kill to get a Wachowski's 2099 flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Wachowskis did Speed Racer and that's a really good film. Its visual design and execution is excellent. They'd make an extremely visually interesting comic book film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Jankel and Morton can make their big comeback from Super Mario Bros.

To be fair they've been stuck in movie jail for a long time

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jimbot posted:

The Wachowskis did Speed Racer and that's a really good film. Its visual design and execution is excellent. They'd make an extremely visually interesting comic book film.

They already did one, V for Vendetta.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They already did one, V for Vendetta.

V for Vendetta was directed by James McTeigue.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Sir Kodiak posted:

V for Vendetta was directed by James McTeigue.

So it was. Well, they wrote and produced it and he was AD on The Matrix so close enough v:v:v

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jimbot posted:

I want them to make anime movies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So it was. Well, they wrote and produced it and he was AD on The Matrix so close enough v:v:v

I also think they had to come in and do some of the reshoots because the movie didn't look good enough. that's a half-remembered thing that may not be true though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Wachowskis might genuinely do a good Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
If Zack Snyder isn't fired from DC after this inevitable disaster JL drops then just lol

I would go gay for Jason Momoa.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

viral spiral posted:

If Zack Snyder isn't fired from DC after this inevitable disaster JL drops then just lol

Are you for real lol

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ghosthotel posted:

Are you for real lol

pretty sure they aren't

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sorry viral spiral, you already lost to the guy who said that the church shooting in Texas can be prevented if more people conceal carry.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Let me just hand the keys to my multi-billion dollar cinematic universe full of beloved characters to this guy who has never even come close to making a good movie.

-some WB executive when hiring Zach Snyder, probably

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Except that Snyder had made 300 and Watchmen before MoS, both made a lot of money for the studio, and MoS wasn't conceived as the start of a cinematic universe. :confused:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'd rather have Snyder and his what some may consider to be a failed vision on the screen than the Marvel movies that get put through the patented Disney movie blandifier machine.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'd rather have Snyder and his what some may consider to be a failed vision on the screen than the Marvel movies that get put through the patented Disney movie blandifier machine.
i'd like the opposite

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

Except that Snyder had made 300 and Watchmen before MoS, both made a lot of money for the studio, and MoS wasn't conceived as the start of a cinematic universe. :confused:

Also MoS was well received. While looking up the embargo dates I kept finding reviews from major publications that were all positive, some of them extremely so. It seems like the backlash came from internet fans later.

MoS is personally my favorite superhero film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also MoS was well received. While looking up the embargo dates I kept finding reviews from major publications that were all positive, some of them extremely so. It seems like the backlash came from internet fans later.

MoS is personally my favorite superhero film.

:same:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Sorry viral spiral, you already lost to the guy who said that the church shooting in Texas can be prevented if more people conceal carry.

The governor?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As a qualifier I'd say I like BvS but didn't love it, same for Watchmen, haven't seen any of his other films. Tried watching Guardians Owl of Gahoole once but kid wasn't interested.

I just think it's an excellent Superman film, my favorite Superman film, of my favorite comic book character.

Serf
May 5, 2011

watchmen was about as good of an adaptation of the comic as you could make. i'm curious about lindelof's supposed hbo series, but i remain apprehensive

also dawn of the dead 2004 ruled

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

K. Waste posted:

I wonder what Shane looks like in black and white

lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shane was filmed to be in color at a time where that was still not always a sure thing and could be a novel concept.

Not quite a gimmick, but definitely not the norm.

Logan is a modern movie supposedly filmed to be black and white when I think I can safely say the vast majority of Logan's intended audience has never seen a black and white movie.

I think it's a valid question about how Logan looks or if it's just a stupid gimmick to make you buy an over priced bluray.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Burkion posted:

Shane was filmed to be in color at a time where that was still not always a sure thing and could be a novel concept.

Logan is a modern movie supposedly filmed to be black and white when I think I can safely say the vast majority of Logan's intended audience has never seen a black and white movie.

I think it's a valid question about how Logan looks or if it's just a stupid gimmick to make you buy an over priced bluray.

Hey I got that bluray for $7 on Amazon. I haven't and probably won't watch the B&W version, but

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

I saw Logan in the theater and outside of a few scenes I did't think the BnW would add very much. Did you enjoy it?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe that's the difference, I've never liked suicide squad or any of those characters in particular, so I thought it was "ok".
Suicide Squad didn't know whether it wanted to be a riff on Deadpool, Mission Impossible, or Ghostbusters.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Kurzon posted:

Suicide Squad didn't know whether it wanted to be a riff on Deadpool, Mission Impossible, or Ghostbusters.

That's because it's more riffing on Avengers, Escape from New York, Dirty Dozen than those. I'll grant you Enchantress is very Gozer-like, but Deadpool?? :psyduck: Beyond Deashot's name and costume, what are the similarities there?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Black Bones posted:

That's because it's more riffing on Avengers, Escape from New York, Dirty Dozen than those. I'll grant you Enchantress is very Gozer-like, but Deadpool?? :psyduck: Beyond Deashot's name and costume, what are the similarities there?

Probably the "edgy" humor

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Black Bones posted:

I've never seen The Dirty Dozen so maybe you're right. I see the Suicide Squad as a sort of Mission Impossible made up of bad guys -- that's at least what they were in the Ostrander comic book. They do the government's dirty work, and if journalists ask questions the government can deny involvement by saying "oh that was just supervillains being supervillains". They're not supposed to be doing the sort of work the Justice League normally does. In the movie Waller pitches the Suicide Squad as a counter-weapon to superhuman threats, which is an odd notion because most of her recruits are not superhuman themselves and this sort of goal doesn't require press-ganging supervillains in secret because the public would totally approve of a government-run anti-superhuman police force.

I do think Deadpool encouraged this movie because it proved that comedic anti-heroes were viable. Harley Quinn wants to be an evil female Deadpool. Obviously the soundtrack was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy. And Enchantress would have perfect for a Ghostbusters movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Suicide Squad came out six months after Deadpool. There simply wasn't the time for Deadpool to encourage the development of Suicide Squad.

Kurzon posted:

In the movie Waller pitches the Suicide Squad as a counter-weapon to superhuman threats, which is an odd notion because most of her recruits are not superhuman themselves and this sort of goal doesn't require press-ganging supervillains in secret because the public would totally approve of a government-run anti-superhuman police force.

You're confusing a few different things Waller is doing. Enchantress is the one being pitched as the anti-Superman weapon (though also as a generally useful asset). The Suicide Squad are some disposable killers she's doing the same sort of leveraged-control over, but they're not supposed to fight gods or anything. That's why their eventual attempt to take on Enchantress is self-directed.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I guess Deadshot's weary sarcasm and Harley's ditzy moll kinda seem like Deadpool's manic teenager on paper, but the movies sense of humour have a pretty different tone I feel. There's a deep well of sadness underneath the banter of the Slave Soldier Squad, whereas Mr. Pool really enjoys what's happened to him, vanity over mottled skin aside.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Waller's got a big thing about transformations and mutations going on. She pitches them against Enchantress in the expectation that something hosed up will happen, which it kinda does to Diablo in the end.

Enchantress is also ultimately pretty ineffectual. At full power she destroys a boat and a satellite dish.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

josh04 posted:

She pitches them against Enchantress

She does not. They decide to go after Enchantress on their own while in a bar, pushed by Harley. Waller brought them in to rescue her, that's it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sir Kodiak posted:

She does not. They decide to go after Enchantress on their own while in a bar, pushed by Harley. Waller brought them in to rescue her, that's it.

This is true for the finale, but the whole mission is superfluous - Waller states that she needed to hang around so she could watch Enchantress on a livefeed? And gets directly airlifted out in a matter of seconds once they reach the roof.

Also she totally sets them up in the office fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNjh06ZnBk&t=130s

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

josh04 posted:

Enchantress is also ultimately pretty ineffectual. At full power she destroys a boat and a satellite dish.

Cthulhu: :(

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

josh04 posted:

This is true for the finale, but the whole mission is superfluous - Waller states that she needed to hang around so she could watch Enchantress on a livefeed? And gets directly airlifted out in a matter of seconds once they reach the roof.

Also she totally sets them up in the office fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNjh06ZnBk&t=130s

Right, she uses them to cover her escape to the roof, because the area is swarming with monsters. She then abandons them to die, because they're disposable. None of which means she pitches them against Enchantress.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is there a better zombie movie than 2004s Dawn of the Dead? That movie has everything. I know a lot of people like 28 Days Later but I was pretty eh on it. I remember seeing it in theaters with my dad and not liking it. We rented the first Resident Evil movie to wash the taste out of our mouths.

Dawn of the Dead 2 is so, so bad. I fuckin hate Nick Cannon.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 8, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is there a better zombie movie than 2004s Dawn of the Dead? That movie has everything. I know a lot of people like 28 Days Later but I was pretty eh on it. I remember seeing it in theaters with my dad and not liking it. We rented the first Resident Evil movie to wash the taste out of our mouths.

Return of the Living Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Day of the Dead

• Locked thread