Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
NBA Finals: Sixers vs. Pelicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the Sixers are good

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

What did Jordan win without Phil Jackson?

A NCAA championship and two gold medals. :vince:

NotWearingPants posted:

What did Pippen win without MJ?

A gold medal.

On Twitter all you need is five characters to construct the famous "U bum".

SA has a 50,000 limit so anyone can say U bum 10,000 times.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Report: Arrested UCLA players in China could face prison time
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-arrested-ucla-players-china-023220711.html

"UCLA freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill could face between three and 10 years in prison if standard Chinese practices are applied and they are convicted under suspicion of shoplifting, according to a report from Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports.

Nee told Wetzel that Chinese prosecutors will usually make a defendant wait 30-37 days before an official indictment. Research from Nee also indicates that Chinese prosecutors enjoy a 99.2 percent conviction rate among those who are indicted.

...defendants could be held in detention for weeks at a time before prosecutors might even decide how to proceed with the case. In other words, American-style bail is usually very rare in the case of Chinese law procedure.

LaVar was expected to address media in a press conference in his hotel suite. But according to ESPN’s Arash Markazi, LaVar has opted not to do so because his counsel advised him not to, “due to the legal nature of the matter.”"

:rip:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
man, UCLA is gonna have to pay out the rear end for this to go away.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zogo posted:

A NCAA championship and two gold medals. :vince:
Lol at NCAA play and early 90s/80s international play.

Zogo posted:

Report: Arrested UCLA players in China could face prison time
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-arrested-ucla-players-china-023220711.html

"UCLA freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill could face between three and 10 years in prison if standard Chinese practices are applied and they are convicted under suspicion of shoplifting, according to a report from Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports.

Nee told Wetzel that Chinese prosecutors will usually make a defendant wait 30-37 days before an official indictment. Research from Nee also indicates that Chinese prosecutors enjoy a 99.2 percent conviction rate among those who are indicted.

...defendants could be held in detention for weeks at a time before prosecutors might even decide how to proceed with the case. In other words, American-style bail is usually very rare in the case of Chinese law procedure.

LaVar was expected to address media in a press conference in his hotel suite. But according to ESPN’s Arash Markazi, LaVar has opted not to do so because his counsel advised him not to, “due to the legal nature of the matter.”"

That's one way to prevent the Lakers from signing LiAngelo to the end of their bench next season. You know it is serious when LaVar doesn't comment. 99.2% conviction rate! I recently had to read a few articles on the Chinese justice system. They better hope someone pulls some strings for them.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/928131443661799424

Kings social media dude undefeated

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dexo posted:

man, UCLA is gonna have to pay out the rear end for this to go away.

"What an amazing coincidence that every child of every major Communist party member has been accepted to the UCLA class of 2022!"

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Zogo posted:

“due to the legal nature of the matter.”"

To me, that's preposterous. Shoplifting, things of that nature

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

:laffo:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

We may get peak 2017 soon.

"Wen Yu, the attorney, said one thing that could save the UCLA players is presidential leverage.
'President Trump can beg mercy to his Chinese counterpart,' Wen Yu said."

https://sports.yahoo.com/liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-3-10-years-prison-convicted-shoplifting-013958780.html

LaVar Ball and Donald Trump are on an inevitable collision course.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

"Wen Yu, the attorney, said one thing that could save the UCLA players is presidential leverage.

https://sports.yahoo.com/liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-3-10-years-prison-convicted-shoplifting-013958780.html

Just loving kill me now please

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I want to see
Ball meet Xi.
On live TV.
On a screen near me.
Since I don't own a TV.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Just loving kill me now please

Death is too kind. You will experience this hell.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Spacebump posted:

That's one way to prevent the Lakers from signing LiAngelo to the end of their bench next season. You know it is serious when LaVar doesn't comment. 99.2% conviction rate! I recently had to read a few articles on the Chinese justice system. They better hope someone pulls some strings for them.

The Chinese justice system is essentially a convoluted system of bribery and influence peddling.

The Chinese govt will throw a tantrum and UCLA will shell out a few million directly/indirectly.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The Chinese justice system is essentially a convoluted system of bribery and influence peddling.

The Chinese govt will throw a tantrum and UCLA will shell out a few million directly/indirectly.

Sometimes you can't bribe your way out and you just get screwed.
(articles are a little over a decade old)

Dispute Leaves U.S. Executive in Chinese Legal Netherworld
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/01/world/asia/dispute-leaves-us-executive-in-chinese-legal-netherworld.html

Deep Flaws, and Little Justice, in China's Court System
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/21/world/asia/deep-flaws-and-little-justice-in-chinas-court-system.html

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 8, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Like yeah lol Ball family and yeah money will probably get them out of it, but this has got to be terrifying for those kids right now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Like yeah lol Ball family and yeah money will probably get them out of it, but this has got to be terrifying for those kids right now.

I mean, being in jail should be scary. That's kind of the point.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Could someone explain this real fuckin slow for me?

Why would Kawhi's sister say he's coming back soon? The guy isn't even playing basketball yet. I still think it will be December before we see him.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

In 10-15 years when LiAngelo is released we'll all be guffawing and scoffing and uproariously laughing at the teams LBJ had to face.

Spacebump posted:

“LaVar is going to be a wild card, no one knows what he is going to do,” the source said. “Will he rail at the Chinese government? Will he rail on UCLA? Or just say, ‘My kid is an idiot’?”

Trump and LaVar try their hand at diplomacy in China. Because you've waited for World War III long enough.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 8, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bashez posted:

Could someone explain this real fuckin slow for me?

Why would Kawhi's sister say he's coming back soon? The guy isn't even playing basketball yet. I still think it will be December before we see him.

For some, there's a glitch in the new iOS that when you type "i" it displays that A[?] monstrosity instead

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, being in jail should be scary. That's kind of the point.

All of my experiences in American jails have been pretty alright actually because I knew what to expect. The only time I was actually scared was being handcuffed in Mexico for half an hour. The whole foreign law, foreign jail element absolutely amps it up.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 8, 2017

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

You know on draft day 2017 I was just thinking to myself "Lavar Ball is going to ignite the war between China and the USA." And here we are.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Drunk Canuck posted:

You know on draft day 2017 I was just thinking to myself "Lavar Ball is going to ignite the war between China and the USA." And here we are.

America really did go all in on the Big Baller Brand.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Sometimes you can't bribe your way out and you just get screwed.
(articles are a little over a decade old)

Dispute Leaves U.S. Executive in Chinese Legal Netherworld
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/01/world/asia/dispute-leaves-us-executive-in-chinese-legal-netherworld.html

Deep Flaws, and Little Justice, in China's Court System
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/21/world/asia/deep-flaws-and-little-justice-in-chinas-court-system.html

China tends to pull this heavy handing/manipulating/blackmailing/intimidating/etc... almost exclusively with Chinese Americans who have relatives back in the homeland; e.g. that big intel hack from a few years ago was basically harvesting data on every U.S. govt employee with that criteria.

They'll bluster a bit, but they'll lose a shitload of $ if they go draconian. This literally might be the one example where Trump as POTUS is beneficial for young black American men. He's so loving batshit that it's probably not worth the Chinese govt's time and energy to deal with the potential bullshit that he would gin up out of this.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

The Glumslinger posted:

Can we spend a minute to talk about how insane Cousins and Davis has been this year?

As of 10 games in, they are averaging:
code:
Cousins: 29 ppg, 14 rpg, 6 apg, 2 spg, 2 bpg, 47% FG, 33% 3PT
Davis:   27 ppg, 13 rpg, 2 apg, 1 spg, 2 bpg, 54% FG, 33% 3PT
Thats loving insane to both put up those numbers on the same team

As of tonight, the Pelicans are 6-5

Davis' averages are tanked by him only playing 5 minutes in that Portland game, too, so he's actually much more impressive than that on a nightly basis. I also don't think this updated with tonight as Davis' 3pt shooting tonight bumped his % up to 41 (which goes to show how volatile that number is given his relatively low volume of 3s).

If Jrue could stop sucking this team would be great. Like I get we overpaid him but if he was just playing at his usual level of play that'd solve so many problems. Instead he's much worse.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 8, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

Oh god, just end it now

Turn off the loving simulation, this one broke

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Maybe they can put them on electronic monitoring and they could play in the Chinese league for a few years with ankle bracelets.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh god, just end it now

Turn off the loving simulation, this one broke

If we had to give up Twitter to get rid of Trump and Ball, mankind should consider that deal.

edit:

quote:

According to the Routledge Handbook of Chinese Criminology, minor crimes, such as petty theft and prostitution, are often handled through so-called “administrative punishments.” An administrative punishment is one imposed after the police determine that a person is guilty. A basic administrative punishment is some combination of up to 15 days in jail, fines and warnings.

As an additional type of “administrative punishment” in China, a person accused of petty theft or similar crimes can face “Reeducation through Labor,” or RTL. Such a punishment appears reserved more for repeat offenders. It can carry up to a four-year sentence in a reeducation facility (jail).

(...)

Louis Vuitton is described as a “fashion house” that retails “luxury” items. A quick scan of the store’s website shows many men’s items, such as sunglasses and shoes, that cost several hundred to several thousands of dollars. In other words, one who steals from a Louis Vuitton store probably has stolen high value items.

This is potentially worrisome for the UCLA players since theft of higher value can lead to prosecution in the formal Chinese criminal justice system.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 8, 2017

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/928114644992118784

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

trial of the century incoming when America sends Stephen A to represent them in court.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

the Sixers are good

They are getting supremely lucky on opponent fg%

Which is fine. They need to clean up turnovers and ft/fga before they start getting normal luck.

Good start tho . This is the hardest part of their schedule .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers strong on efg%, orb% and drb% which can continue and I don't think are flukes.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

euphronius posted:

They are getting supremely lucky on opponent fg%

Particularly threes. Interior defense has been pretty good.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

NotWearingPants posted:

What did Pippen win without MJ?

the Dong Lottery

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

make em dance, babey

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

OH WORD SON posted:

gently caress the NCAA

gently caress 'em

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Brolander posted:

the Dong Lottery

Brolander posted:

make em dance, babey

vaginal facsimile posted:

gently caress 'em

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What’s up with Donovan Mitchell? Saw he went 3-for-21 last night and in general can’t hit a shot.

I thought he had a chance to be a real good three-and-d guy but might be slightly miscast after balling out in Summer League. That the case or are shots just not falling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

morestuff posted:

What’s up with Donovan Mitchell? Saw he went 3-for-21 last night and in general can’t hit a shot.

I thought he had a chance to be a real good three-and-d guy but might be slightly miscast after balling out in Summer League. That the case or are shots just not falling?

Rookie.

• Locked thread