Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Please provide your case as to why the prequels are more genuine than what we got in TFA.

I'm not saying it's an impossible argument. I'm just saying you're too lazy to do it.

why would provide a case for something impossible to prove and dumb as some movies released under the star wars brand being 'more genuine' than others

they're all legit star wars dude, you can dislike some movies without pretending like they're heretical texts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You can say ROTJ was the "last legit Star Wars" without meaning that the prequels are heretical texts. Unless you just want to pick a really dumb internet fight, which you clearly do.

fake edit: "lol"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every movie made after the theatrical release of return of the Jedi is a heretical work, actually

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Kylo was the only character I liked from TFA

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

precision posted:

You can say ROTJ was the "last legit Star Wars" without meaning that the prequels are heretical texts. Unless you just want to pick a really dumb internet fight, which you clearly do.

fake edit: "lol"

i wasn't picking a fight, just loling that a star wars fan thinks the 'last legit star wars' came out before i was even born

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Legitimacy?

Luke Skywalker is a literal Star Bastard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The last legitimate Star Wars film came out a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

why would provide a case for something impossible to prove and dumb as some movies released under the star wars brand being 'more genuine' than others

they're all legit star wars dude, you can dislike some movies without pretending like they're heretical texts

Not pretending it's apocryphal. I'm recognizing that they're just much worse in quality than the original trilogy and TFA. Actors phoned in performances. The scripts for all three were atrocious. I'm not even leveling criticism like some nerd who's miffed that what they thought should happen didn't happen. I'm saying that what was released was poorly made and mostly incoherent with some good ideas sprinkled over and not on the same tier as the OT and TFA.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Legitimacy?

Luke Skywalker is a literal Star Bastard.

Yo, Thought-disorder-bro, I never mentioned the word "legitimate."

Now please carry on about Natalie Portman's revolving door.

edit: it seems, on reflection, that I did mention "legit star wars movie." My point still stands.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

i wasn't picking a fight, just loling that a star wars fan thinks the 'last legit star wars' came out before i was even born

Don't worry. It was before I was born too.

And please don't lol. It's a very serious matter that some folks don't see the prequels as the Saturday morning cartoon based on the OT that they actually are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Natalie Portman's revolving door.

I doubt I want to know, but then again, I kind of do.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Don't worry. It was before I was born too.

And please don't lol. It's a very serious matter that some folks don't see the prequels as the Saturday morning cartoon based on the OT that they actually are.

a saturday morning cartoon based on a saturday morning cartoon?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The reason we haven't seen Luke's green saber yet is because he hid it inside of R2 again.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

a saturday morning cartoon based on a saturday morning cartoon?

Based on actual movies.

Remember when that Men in Black cartoon came on Saturdays after the movie was successful? Not the greatest movie in the world, but the cartoon was silly season. Which was great if you were a child just waking up and waiting for Spider-Man and Batman TAS reruns. Probably a bad example though because that cartoon was actually decent iirc unlike the prequel films.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't think of any set of criteria that would make a movie like a Saturday morning cartoon that would apply to the PT but not the OT.

Even "follows from an established film series" applies to 2/3rds of the OT.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remember when I was waiting in line for TFA and I heard the guys in front of me in line complain about midichlorians for over twenty minutes.

"If George Lucas had not created the prequels, it would have been necessary to invent them" - the Porg

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
"May the Porg be with you."

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't think of any set of criteria that would make a movie like a Saturday morning cartoon that would apply to the PT but not the OT.

Even "follows from an established film series" applies to 2/3rds of the OT.

You're not focusing on what I actually said though. I was speaking mainly about quality, and less about the premise of the whole thing. Although, while we're on that topic, let's go there! The fact that the prequels were telling a story that didn't need to be told is not something that I hold against them. If executed well, they could have been rewarding experiences. They just weren't.

"Solo," however, has a much higher bar to meet. I see no upside to that film existing. It will likely only cheapen one of the best (if not the best) characters in the entirety of Star Wars or even cinema. Such is the curse of prequels in any genre.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

You're not focusing on what I actually said though. I was speaking mainly about quality, and less about the premise of the whole thing.

Well, yes, exactly.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 8, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Based on actual movies.

Remember when that Men in Black cartoon came on Saturdays after the movie was successful? Not the greatest movie in the world, but the cartoon was silly season. Which was great if you were a child just waking up and waiting for Spider-Man and Batman TAS reruns. Probably a bad example though because that cartoon was actually decent iirc unlike the prequel films.

Men in Black cartoon was better than MiB2 and parts of MiB3. Similar to The Real Ghostbusters often being better than Ghostbusters 2 amd the remake.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man bunch of posts in the star war spoiler thread I wonder what the....

:gary:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is Star Citizen is taking so long because Coberts wants to incorporate the entire Star Wars universe into his game?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

I think the porg looks cute and this thread's obsession with it is hilarious

like it's just a fuckin' movie guys

*leans in real close as if to say something of great import* Porg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Porg... heh, that's a funny word, right? Porg? Try sayin' it. C'mon! Try it! Porg, heh. Porg. Porg. Porg.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your porg.
Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Vader: No. I am your porg.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Of all the Jedi caves in all the island planets in all the galaxy...a porg has to walk into mine....

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Luke is all about those BBQ pulled porg sandwiches on Ach-To, when he isn’t busy building hot rod kit cars with the lizard nuns or drinking himself to sleep because he was a stupid rear end in a top hat who thought it’d be an amazing idea to train Vader’s grandkid in the ways of the Force.

Man, I sure hope Watto shows up out of nowhere in TLJ. Maybe even the Greg Proops podracing commentary alien.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"Solo," however, has a much higher bar to meet. I see no upside to that film existing. It will likely only cheapen one of the best (if not the best) characters in the entirety of Star Wars or even cinema. Such is the curse of prequels in any genre.
Out of curiosity, have you enjoyed other roles of Ford's?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
"Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most.... [voice breaks] porg."

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dramatic reveal, Luke was a stack of like eight or nine Porg in a cloak the whole time

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

sebzilla posted:

Dramatic reveal, Luke was a stack of like eight or nine Porg in a cloak the whole time

Spoiler that! :stonk:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Porg in the trailer was formerly Luke's hand which is how the lightsaber was retrieved from Cloud City. It all makes sense.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

I think someone already did this and I'm late to this party.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dude where's my porg?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Based on actual movies.

Well the cartoon was better than MIB II at least.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alas, Porg Yorick! I knew him, Luke Skywalker, a mascot of infinite jest, of most adorable CGI.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally, a new Star Wars OVA.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

By the way there's no point in trying to decide whether the prequels or TFA are worse because the ways they're bad are so different. Maybe even the exact inverse of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Red Tails was actually a good movie with a positive message.

I know this because the 2012 national champion Alabama football team watched it during their team meeting and proceeded to beat the everloving poo poo out of Notre Dame on live television the next day.

• Locked thread