Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Busy dying to the first red bokoblins in normal botw lmao

Glad I didn’t choose master mode after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

They're huge maps but I imagine you can mitigate that headache in an emulator by giving yourself save state "checkpoints"
I've been using save states a bit but honestly the in-game save system is pretty useful and forgiving and I've found myself relying on that more often than not.

I'm trying to think of the maps as just a bunch of smaller levels bunched together and that helps a bit but it still bothers me that I started Chapter 3 today, played it for quite a while, and still haven't quite finished it yet because all of the pirates ever just had to invade at the end here and now I'm tired.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 8, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
BotW's difficulty curve is awful. The hardest part of the game is first dozen hours because you have no gear or strong weapons. Then you get more hearts, armor, and powerful weapons. The enemy scaling doesn't keep pace with you so you'll quickly reach a state where enemies do barely any damage and you can demolish most with ease. When I played it for the second time I didn't wear any armor just to keep things interesting.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

BotW's difficulty curve is awful. The hardest part of the game is first dozen hours because you have no gear or strong weapons. Then you get more hearts, armor, and powerful weapons. The enemy scaling doesn't keep pace with you so you'll quickly reach a state where enemies do barely any damage and you can demolish most with ease. When I played it for the second time I didn't wear any armor just to keep things interesting.

Also you learn how to break the game with the food system

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Internet Kraken posted:

Lynels still two shot you for most of the game, but it doesn't matter because you can carry 60 full heals plus unlimited partial heals plus 5 (or was it 7?) revives.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Andrast posted:

Also you learn how to break the game with the food system

Oh yeah lol how could I forget the biggest difficulty breaker; infinite food stacking and eating in combat. Even if you're total garbage you can beat anything in the game if you have enough food to eat. Master mode doing nothing to address that is pretty stupid.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You could just not use that stuff then

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

The food system is a really integral part of the game though so not using it is lame.

It really is s something a good master mode would have balanced.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Training posted:

Well yeah, that's what I did. Most people don't like to do that though. Plus if you're buying a DLC designed solely to make the game harder, it not addressing the core mechanics that make the game easy is stupid.

Like to make the game a challenge again I had to do the following things;

-not wear armor
-not eat food in combat
-not eat raw ingredients or stack food
-not use fairies
-not use special abilities
-not climb Talus
-not shoot Hinox in the eye

It got pretty ridiculous. If I played Matser Mode I'd still have to follow most of those house rules because all it really does is buff enemy damage and health.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 8, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I had a lot of fun doing all those things instead of not doing those things

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think being able to use a bunch of steak to infinitely regenerate oneself to defeat Lynels is pretty ok. So that someone as bad at videogames as me can manage it in early game just in a longer and more arduous way than actually good zelda mans.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no problem with these mechanics in the base game. I played for over a hundred hours the way the devs intended and enjoyed it. I just think its silly that a mode specifically designed to make the game harder doesn't actually address the core mechanics that make it easy. I don't really think that's such a crazy stance to take.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 8, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't like action games letting you instantly and almost infinitely heal yourself to full where your main aversion to doing so is that it makes you stop the action each time, which feels bad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hm I’d forgotten how tedious actually climbing in botw is

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

to be fair most hard modes are awful at actually addressing the elements of difficulty in a game, the hero modes in the past couple zelda games have been pretty bad also. botw is a game that I like a whole lot but its very much in spite of the combat and I hope if they make another game in that style that's the first thing they improve

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I already started and this seems like it's probably the best advice because yeah it's kind of a drag

I meant to say "but if you're going to try it then crank the difficulty down" but yeah.

The type of floor you get is random, and getting several of the "hallways full of enemies" or "the entire floor is a warp zone to the stairs so getting in a fight means starting over" is just so meaninglessly tedious

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I wouldn't expect anything more out of a hard mode in a video game than 'enemies do more damage, take less damage'. Like yeah it would be good if they did more than that but it would very much be an exception to the norm.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Because they were adding it as a DLC I was hoping for something more substantial but I'm certainly not surprised it wasn't.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the botw mode mostly just knocks everything up a tier. tbh the first dlc pack is not good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beat 5 bosses in Furi and decided to stop there for tonight, good time

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Raxivace posted:

I've been using save states a bit but honestly the in-game save system is pretty useful and forgiving and I've found myself relying on that more often than not.

I'm trying to think of the maps as just a bunch of smaller levels bunched together and that helps a bit but it still bothers me that I started Chapter 3 today, played it for quite a while, and still haven't quite finished it yet because all of the pirates ever just had to invade at the end here and now I'm tired.

That's pretty much it, there are only a dozen maps in the game so you need to take slightly different mindset compared to other FEs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

I meant to say "but if you're going to try it then crank the difficulty down" but yeah.

The type of floor you get is random, and getting several of the "hallways full of enemies" or "the entire floor is a warp zone to the stairs so getting in a fight means starting over" is just so meaninglessly tedious

At this point if I don't get the hall full of cat balls or treasure chests, I just teleport back to the entrance and try again anyways, so that isn't really a problem. The actual non random areas are WAY too full of enemies though. Like the normal game has poo poo enemy distribution and these areas are somehow far worse and the fights are actually hard, then there's the timer aspect which also just sucks. I really might just turn it down to easy is the next area is as bad as the last one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

At this point if I don't get the hall full of cat balls or treasure chests, I just teleport back to the entrance and try again anyways, so that isn't really a problem. The actual non random areas are WAY too full of enemies though. Like the normal game has poo poo enemy distribution and these areas are somehow far worse and the fights are actually hard, then there's the timer aspect which also just sucks. I really might just turn it down to easy is the next area is as bad as the last one.

every area is worse than the last

seriously, just, don't bother with the post-game dungeon. it's ten loving hours long

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

The armor system they implemented is also pretty bad. It just straight subtracts damage with no scaling down to a point where you are so buff that everything does the minimum 1/4 heart damage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been playing doki doki literature club for like 3 hours and nothing weird has happened yet, have I been tricked or does it actually ever get interesting

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

I've been playing doki doki literature club for like 3 hours and nothing weird has happened yet, have I been tricked or does it actually ever get interesting

3 hours seems too long to get to the interesting part. From what I heard it takes the average person around an hour or two at most. Its pretty obvious when the game is going to get weird too.

It does get interesting. Whether or not its enough to warrant sitting through all that is debatable. I'd never be able to do it which is why I just watched a stream.

Linking this again because it makes me laugh.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well i was originally gonna spend tonight implementing the code where you can jump down ledges but instead i ended up doing repairs on weird enemy damage code, and redoing the way player spritesheets are mapped because i added the animations to jump down ledges

e: i guess this is one of those this post is useless without pics

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 8, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
sonic forces is three hours long and costs 40 dollars

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The new Horizon DLC areas look insane. Very excited for the future of vidya game aesthetics.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

exquisite tea posted:

The new Horizon DLC areas look insane. Very excited for the future of vidya game aesthetics.

What I can't get over is how good the engine is. Not only is it pretty, it runs remarkably well, even on a normal PS4.

I was absolutely floored by how good blizzards look in the expansion zones. Albeit they also make life very difficult, because they limit visibility so well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never thought deformable snow was absolutely needed in the base game but now that it's in the difference is incredible.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wait, the expansion is out? How big is it, TW3 expansion big? Does it continue the story or is it something parallel?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haha people are complaining about the hitman expansion costing money, loving cretins

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am trying to beat Doom after having just finished Wolfenstein and the second phase of the Cyberdemon is causing me a lot of trouble! Goodness!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

homeless snail posted:

haha people are complaining about the hitman expansion costing money, loving cretins

it's pretty loving slight for twenty bucks, though. one of the missions is just a sniping sequence, and the mission in sapienza is tiny and basically only has two, very obvious, solutions (besides just murdering everyone with violence of course)

the hokkaido mission at least has an interesting gimmick, I guess

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Palpek posted:

Wait, the expansion is out? How big is it, TW3 expansion big? Does it continue the story or is it something parallel?

Came out yesterday. Not entirely sure about the size, but I've seen 15ish hours quoted for it. It's a parallel sidestory. You even have Sylens berate you for going on a side adventure, rather than focusing on more pressing matters. Aloy quickly tells him off and goes anyway. :haw:

But even at first glance it does seem to connect to the main story, just not directly.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This seems sort of reasonable. I always find it a bit strange if something is said to be the full version, but still has extra parts missing. That does not seem to be the full version, but the nearly full version. Hitman is a great game though!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Attestant posted:

Came out yesterday. Not entirely sure about the size, but I've seen 15ish hours quoted for it. It's a parallel sidestory. You even have Sylens berate you for going on a side adventure, rather than focusing on more pressing matters. Aloy quickly tells him off and goes anyway. :haw:

But even at first glance it does seem to connect to the main story, just not directly.
Ok, cool. I loved the main game so I'll be getting this as soon as I finish the new rear end Creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VideoGames posted:

This seems sort of reasonable. I always find it a bit strange if something is said to be the full version, but still has extra parts missing. That does not seem to be the full version, but the nearly full version. Hitman is a great game though!
it came out over a year and a half ago, I don't think its reasonable to expect that this thing that they didn't plan for and is being released a year since the last episode would be included in that package. if it wasn't this thing that is kinda slight (for obvious reasons) they'd just be complaining whenever they charge for season 2. its a really lovely semantic argument

• Locked thread