Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If Pauline is singing Jump Up, Superstar!, does that mean Peach is singing the Honeylune Ridge: Escape song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I like how the mario party 8 presenter/host is wearing a top hat with eyes on it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If Pauline is singing Jump Up, Superstar!, does that mean Peach is singing the Honeylune Ridge: Escape song?

No, the same VA is singing that song.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Haha okay folks and everyone on twitter, you can stop joking about the jump rope moons being hard, ya got me, ya trolled me good you had your fun

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i didn't know there was a moon for jumping rope i just did it for fun. what a nice surprise

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Now THIS moon, can eat my entire rear end:

I feel like if I could reliably do the spinning hat thing I could get it, but I can't, no matter what. The motion control way of doing it DOESN'T loving WORK. Mario always just spins his hat forward. Doing it with controls is too slow and clunky for this

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
You know the scene at the beginning where Princess Peach is screaming "Mario!" and reaching out to him for help as Bowser laughs and takes her away?

In reality, Bowser is just a normal man. A "Chad" in some circles, with whom Peach, an attractive but ultimately normal citizen, is madly in love. Bowser and Peach are simply fleeing from her short, underdeveloped, pedo-mustached incel stalker.

We are simply viewing the world through the cracked, gritty lens of a lonely plumber, his desperation so wholly consuming it has manifested in complete delusional hallucination.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 8, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Macaluso posted:

I feel like if I could reliably do the spinning hat thing I could get it, but I can't, no matter what. The motion control way of doing it DOESN'T loving WORK. Mario always just spins his hat forward. Doing it with controls is too slow and clunky for this

Flick both joycons in the same direction. Worked perfectly for me after a bit of practice

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Flick both joycons in the same direction. Worked perfectly for me after a bit of practice

I literally cannot flick them in the same direction more. I even attached them back to the controller dongle so they'd stay perfectly symmetrical with each other to try to get it to work. HE JUST KEEPS FLICKING IT FORWARD. I am not capable of doing the spinning move with motion controls

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

You know the scene at the beginning where Princess Peach is screaming "Mario!" and reaching out to him for help as Bowser laughs and takes her away?

In reality, Bowser is just a normal man. A "Chad" in some circles, with whom Peach, an attractive but ultimately normal citizen, is madly in love. Bowser and Peach are simply fleeing from her short, underdeveloped, pedo-mustached incel stalker.

We are simply viewing the world through the cracked, gritty lens of a lonely plumber, his desperation so wholly consuming it has manifested in complete delusional hallucination.

This take was already cold when it showed up in Braid (2008).

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

... you know, I never even considered using the hat for that moon. I thought the gimmick was to possess the bird and use its beak to collect all the notes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bluff Buster posted:

... you know, I never even considered using the hat for that moon. I thought the gimmick was to possess the bird and use its beak to collect all the notes.

Holy gently caress thank the loving LORD for this post. I could NOT get the stupid motion controls to do anything but spin the hat forward. The bird was the only way I could do it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This advice may only work with the pro controller, but to do the hat spin, I let go with my left hand and flick the controller forward and to the right, pivoting my right wrist like I was throwing a frisbee (or a loving hat) and it works probably 99% of the time.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Had some fun with the doggo glitch on the moon

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bluff Buster posted:

holy poo poo this would have beat the hell out of me learning how to swipe my entire Switch in handheld mode like I'm on Tinder

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Macaluso posted:

I just said gently caress it and used 2 player mode. Cappy can bang it out with plenty of time to spare.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TFW you find a random moon, then see the name and realize it's a recurring moon type.

E: HOW THE gently caress AM I SUPPOSED TO WIN ANY OF THESE RACES

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 8, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Waffleman_ posted:

TFW you find a random moon, then see the name and realize it's a recurring moon type.

Most of them have a semi-obvious shortcut that helps and a not-obvious platforming wizardry thing that just completely breaks them. Unless you mean the bouncing race thing in which case gently caress THAT.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I drew a picture of the peck birb for my brother because its his favorite capture.

Which made me wonder what my own favorite capture is and I can't come up with an actual answer. There are just a lot I really like equally. I guess the onion because I didn't expect "grow tall" to be a mechanic utilized so well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

In addition to shortcuts and platforming virtuosity, in a lot of them you can use the same route as the gold koopa but use long jumps and/or rolls to do it faster than him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I drew a picture of the peck birb for my brother because its his favorite capture.

Which made me wonder what my own favorite capture is and I can't come up with an actual answer. There are just a lot I really like equally. I guess the onion because I didn't expect "grow tall" to be a mechanic utilized so well.

Pokio is a powerful friend. Strongest capture is steak though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Internet Kraken posted:

The dog that captured my heart.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
After playing through almost the entire game I realized that you can make the camera and controls more sensitive. Really makes a difference.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Very last level spoiler vid:

https://twitter.com/pwnens/status/928133037434347520

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wow i'm getting upset just watching that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My heart went out for them when they did the futile little beak poke after being knocked off

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That's what they get for not shaking the joycon after bending the beak

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
just got to wooded kingdom, struck by the most incredibly surf rock song holy crap this game is fun

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Christ, the 2D section in the well in Mushroom Kingdom is some high-speed way to murder all the goodwill I had for this game after its awesome ending. gently caress whoever decided the smaller sections didn't need checkpoints.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reallycoolname posted:

Christ, the 2D section in the well in Mushroom Kingdom is some high-speed way to murder all the goodwill I had for this game after its awesome ending. gently caress whoever decided the smaller sections didn't need checkpoints.

That's one of them post-game difficulty post-game challenges.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I really liked the tropical wiggler for the same reason.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

just got to wooded kingdom, struck by the most incredibly surf rock song holy crap this game is fun

Wait till you hear the 8-bit version :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They should of used the Wooded Kingdom song as the Odyssey theme instead of Cascade Kingdom. Its so much better than that Galaxy wannabe track.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

You can actually poke into the rock at the end, not just the white board. Gave me some more leeway when I found that out.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can actually poke into the rock at the end, not just the white board. Gave me some more leeway when I found that out.

That's good to know! I did get it like 2 or 3 attempts later since I had the rest of the stage mostly down by that point. I got through that section with one heart left, which made the DK 8-bit section super tense.

It would also have been nice to know (next to last level) about the hidden 6-life heart before the boss rush, but I got through without it.

I really thought the difficulty was perfect across the game. It's easy to beat, then some moderately challenging things in the main stages, and the post game is all endurance mastery tests.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Reallycoolname posted:

The last section of this was really the only portion I had trouble just for how inconsistent those controls feel on the orb platforms.

I finished that area and then instantly found Hard Mode Picture Match and I haven't touched the game in like a day now

The bullet bill section was fun tho, it reminded me a lot of hard Mario Maker levels which I was big on for a while

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
99/100 purple coins is so stressful because you know you accidentally didn’t pick one up in a set of three

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nina posted:

99/100 purple coins is so stressful because you know you accidentally didn’t pick one up in a set of three

the Shame Coin

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

The last section of this was really the only portion I had trouble just for how inconsistent those controls feel on the orb platforms.

I finished that area and then instantly found Hard Mode Picture Match and I haven't touched the game in like a day now

The bullet bill section was fun tho, it reminded me a lot of hard Mario Maker levels which I was big on for a while

Hard Mode Picture Match is something i've decided i'm completely fine with never doing. I'm glad that's a thing in Odyssey. I can just not do a moon I don't like and be completely ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I got it second try. No post-it note over the screen or anything. Just use your eyes!

• Locked thread