Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Amazon. It's no questions asked, at least with the other refunds I've done. Just sent back a GTX 1080 a few days ago as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GobiasIndustries posted:

My old pc, Phenom X2 processor I think, randomly powered off today. I opened the case up and it appears the fan on the processors heatsink is dying, it isn’t spinning fast at all and sometimes doesn’t spin at all. Computer is currently off. I’m not in a position to get a whole new pc, is replacing just the fan possible?

Of course. Most computer fans are 40, 80, 92, or 120mm. Your heatsink likely has one of those attached to it and you will want to figure out which one and get a replacement. It's possible that you have a heatsink with a weirdo built in fan of some kind, but those aren't that common. It's probably 92 or 120mm but I don't know what kind of cooler you have.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So for those looking for cheap bulk storage, Best Buy is selling those 8TB WD externals for $129.99 at the moment: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...2d0325ecb310INT

I wouldn't expect that price to last past noon tomorrow.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like I'm ready to pull the trigger. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making any stupid mistakes. I'm not going to overclock anytime soon.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/p9fWNN
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/p9fWNN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.46 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($194.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($289.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1317.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-08 02:35 EST-0500

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GobiasIndustries posted:

My old pc, Phenom X2 processor I think, randomly powered off today. I opened the case up and it appears the fan on the processors heatsink is dying, it isn’t spinning fast at all and sometimes doesn’t spin at all. Computer is currently off. I’m not in a position to get a whole new pc, is replacing just the fan possible?

From my google-fu your stock HSF is probably using an 80mm fan. The depth of the new one doesn't really matter as long as it has a 3-pin connector, but the noise it's gonna be pretty noticeable and the overall cooling performance is subpar compared to modern 120mm fan tower coolers like the Cryorig H7, so I would recommend the latter and since you can carry that over to a new build. You can probably look at a cheap upgrade with a used Phenom II X4 955 and it's beefier stock cooler combo if you want.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 8, 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is there a good alternative to Newegg and their retarded credit card must be from the same country as shipping address policy? Even hippie shops don’t have an issue with that :mad:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Looks like I'm ready to pull the trigger. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making any stupid mistakes. I'm not going to overclock anytime soon.

Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($194.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($289.89 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Two quick points:

- you're about to buy last generation Intel chips, whereas the new ones (Coffee lake, number starts with 8) give you more cores for the same price, which is increasingly relevant for gaming and computing.
- you should swap your motherboard for a z-series, and your cpu for a non-k. K-chips are made for overclocking and cost more, so you're wasting money by putting it on a h-board, and with a z-board you could always upgrade if you change your mind.

Otherwise, it seems fine to me :)

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 8, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

obi_ant posted:

-Kaby Lake is old and busted. Coffee Lake the new hotness
-If you have no intention to overclock, the i7-8700 is exactly the same as the i7-8700k in practice.
-You don't need an aftermarket cooler for the 65w 8700, especially not a liquid one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($289.89 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair - 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1307.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-08 07:25 EST-0500

edit: ignore this if you're actually using an old 7700k, you could mark things as "already purchased" for less confusion

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 8, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think you're the guy who was getting a hand me down 7700k, so I won't beat that drum like everyone else is. But do get a Corsair RMx power supply, which is newer and better than the CSM.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
I'm thinking of re-purposing my old pc (i5 2500k) as a storage/Plex server. The only part I need is the PSU (and some HDDs in the future). If I just use onboard graphics and up to 5 drives, I assume I can get away with a 300-400W supply?

They seem a lot more expensive in the UK but can anyone recommend something from here - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/power-supplies/all

franchise1 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 8, 2017

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is there "best of" z370 board? I started to pick up a Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 since they have a solid review on Tom's Hardware, but apparently it can't fit a 1080TI due to stupid audio heat sink placement in front of the PCI-E slots.

I posted this a but earlier, but it got lost in the mix. Recommendations for a Z370 board over the Asus TUF Gaming I have now?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Edit: Wrong Thread.

eames
May 9, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I posted this a but earlier, but it got lost in the mix. Recommendations for a Z370 board over the Asus TUF Gaming I have now?

Can't go wrong with any of the high end Asrock/Asus/Gigabyte boards. It depends on what you want to do with it. The Asrock Extreme 4 is supposedly the best overall in the mid range segment. Solid VRMs, decent build quality, good BIOS and support.

overclocked.net has a "best of VRM" chart (click "comments" in the OP): http://www.overclock.net/t/1638955/z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Chikimiki posted:

Two quick points:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

edit: ignore this if you're actually using an old 7700k, you could mark things as "already purchased" for less confusion

Arivia posted:

I think you're the guy who was getting a hand me down 7700k, so I won't beat that drum like everyone else is. But do get a Corsair RMx power supply, which is newer and better than the CSM.

Yeah, sorry about that I am the guy who was getting a 7700k from a friend.

If I were to swap out the H100i for a Noctua system, which fan system would you guys recommend? I understand that the failure rates for the water pump are low, it's just something I don't want to deal with. Any suggestions?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

franchise1 posted:

I'm thinking of re-purposing my old pc (i5 2500k) as a storage/Plex server. The only part I need is the PSU (and some HDDs in the future). If I just use onboard graphics and up to 5 drives, I assume I can get away with a 300-400W supply?

They seem a lot more expensive in the UK but can anyone recommend something from here - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/power-supplies/all

Yeah, easily. Hard drives top out around 10W each, you'd be fine with a 300W supply. The main problem is that 300W full ATX power supplies tend to be low efficiency and sometimes low quality.

The Game Max supplies seem to be cheapest there but I've never heard of them before, so I'd recommend the EVGA 450BT for efficiency in a 24/7 build vs. ones that are only a bit cheaper.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, easily. Hard drives top out around 10W each, you'd be fine with a 300W supply. The main problem is that 300W full ATX power supplies tend to be low efficiency and sometimes low quality.

The Game Max supplies seem to be cheapest there but I've never heard of them before, so I'd recommend the EVGA 450BT for efficiency in a 24/7 build vs. ones that are only a bit cheaper.
If you're using refurb drives poached from decommissioned datacenter clusters they often need 40-60w to spin up, worst case scenario being 70-100w, so if you don't have staggered spinup keep that in mind with the number of drives you have compared to the power supply's peak wattage.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Hello, thankyou for the guide in the OP. I haven't made a PC before, and I want a nice one for games - I've been using a laptop for years. Please can you let me know if this'll work? The prices here are in Australian dollars. Google says it's about 1550 USD

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.00 @ Scorptec)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC) Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($299.00 @ Umart)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($279.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($210.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card ($407.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV TG (Gray) MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($199.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.00 @ Shopping Express)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($124.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $2013.00

The CPU and motherboard are the new Intel type. I wanted this motherboard for the wi-fi antenna
I was going to select 8gb of RAM but a friend said to go for 16
I'm a huge sucker for open-world-'em-ups and planned to have a few installed, so I went with a big SSD
I can barely tell the difference between GPU models. The OP said MSI was pretty good, and this model has sideways fans which I understand are quieter
I'm not sure if I need the 650W PSU, but figured I might want to upgrade components in a few years
The case is expensive because I wanted a pretty one. I figure cases don't need to be upgraded
After all this I still need a monitor which seems a whole new set of hassle to figure out

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You could save a bit of money by getting a 2.5” SATA SSD instead of a m.2 one. 850 EVO is a great pick in either form factor though.

I wouldn’t get a Seagate HD, they’re pretty unreliable. Look for a Western Digital Blue/Red/Black instead.

Otherwise you’re good. There’s a separate dedicated monitor thread for getting advice for that.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My 8700K 1.25V 4.7GHz, gtx 970, 2ssd+1hdd take 310-320W on realbench and 270-290W in destiny 2. I use a 500W passive psu, so a few regular HDD's wont break a psu...

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you're using refurb drives poached from decommissioned datacenter clusters they often need 40-60w to spin up, worst case scenario being 70-100w, so if you don't have staggered spinup keep that in mind with the number of drives you have compared to the power supply's peak wattage.

Uh... you're talking about 10k-15k RPM stuff, right? I've never heard anything like this for 3.5" drives. I went to check on the WD Reds I use and based on peak amps they take around 20W to spin up but the average read/write load is listed as 6.4W.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Gaming headsets: are they it worth it? If so, does a good one exist that allows you to adjust the game audio / voice mix?

Most list volume control as a feature though not always clear if you can adjust the mix as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GeorgieMordor posted:

Gaming headsets: are they it worth it? If so, does a good one exist that allows you to adjust the game audio / voice mix?

Most list volume control as a feature though not always clear if you can adjust the mix as well.

Most gaming headsets that are "usb" just have a built-in USB sound card. This is going to be a single device that gets the sound from windows but is usually unable to adjust the volume from each program itself. The volume mixer in Windows is going to be the way to do this.

What you'd be looking for is some kind of device that presents itself as multiple sound cards so that it can differentiate which program is outputting sound to it by itself. I'm not a huge sound card nerd but I don't recall seeing something like this. I'd imagine you'd have to home brew it with multiple sound cards and an actual mixing board. It's probably not worthwhile unless it's a big deal to you. I think most voice chat programs have the ability to turn down other audio devices while someone is broadcasting in channel, though.

As to whether a gaming headset is worth it; the main consideration for any headset is if it's comfortable and if it has good sound quality. I think goon consensus is usually to get a nice pair of headphones you like and a separate mic (like the Antlion modmic). Things like positional audio and 7.1 surround are meaningless on headphones because you only have two ears and positional audio is done by mixing the right and left signals, not multiple drivers (see A3D from the 90's and soforth) so it's done in software and not in the headphones themselves.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
I am planning to build my daughter a PC, she's primarily interested in Minecraft. I've already got a I5-2500k with appropriate motherboard and RAM with a 24" 1920x1080 monitor.

My question is what is the minimum video card and power supply I'm looking at? I'm assuming 450W would be ok on the power supply and that a GeForce 1050 would be overkill for Minecraft.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GeorgieMordor posted:

Astro A40 is fine if you're not a self-described audiophile; they are comfy/durable and have a mixer that lets you do that voice/game audio thing you describe.

They're overpriced on Best Buy (like $250-ish) but easy to get used pairs with mixer on eBay for around $100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astro-A40-...6UAAOSwYwJZ9Ad9

Edit: I use mine without a mixer, I just plug the hedset straight into my Xbox One controller headphone port, Windows 10 recognizes both the headset and mic fine that way and you can use it wirelessly (wire from headset to controller, but no wire to PC)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Depends on if you want to use shaders. Shaders make the game really, really beautiful looking. Like a totally different game. I run shaders at 2560x1600 with gtx 970 and 8700k and they work fine. 1050 is probably fine for shaders, and more than enough for regular minecraft :v:

E: I recommend considering a separate mic and headphones. That way you can upgrade one if neccessary, or if one breaks.. I bought Sennheiser HD650 in 2004 so haven't had to touch them. Switched my logitech classic USB mic which I used for a thousand years to a microphone arm, mic and a preamplifier for the mic or whatever it is called, which provides 48V phantom power and has a mic gain knob and all that.

I really like the "professional" mic instead of gaming mic, I point the mic towards the roof and it doesn't pick any sounds below the horizontal level. So all of my typing with cherry blue switches, computer sound etc. get completely ignored. It also doesn't register while I eat and so on.. really great setup and sound quality is so much better than on cheap mics. Of course the whole setup was like $130 -,- I always get too excited and forget people have a budget :D

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 9, 2017

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I'm looking at building a new system, will be for 4k video/photo editing with some games thrown in.

Should I be looking at Nvidia cards for the gfx? Is the cpu beefy enough? Trying to keep as close as I can to a £1k budget and still have to add a case and a few cheap bits. (I have an ssd sitting unused so will be using that)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£169.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Lite 120 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£37.13 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£77.00 @ Ebuyer)

Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£129.99 @ Ebuyer)

Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.34 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Dragon Video Card (£248.99 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.98 @ CCL Computers)

Monitor: AOC - Q2778VQE 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor (£199.97 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £1002.39

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I am planning to build my daughter a PC, she's primarily interested in Minecraft. I've already got a I5-2500k with appropriate motherboard and RAM with a 24" 1920x1080 monitor.

My question is what is the minimum video card and power supply I'm looking at? I'm assuming 450W would be ok on the power supply and that a GeForce 1050 would be overkill for Minecraft.

Your picks are all fine, including the video card. If she's playing an old single player world with lots of discovered areas, it'll tax her resources more, so whether or not the 1050 is overkill kinda depends on that.

I would recommend getting a decent CPU cooler and overclocking that 2500k to at least 4GHZ, though. Minecraft is pretty CPU intensive, but can only run on one thread, so a little OC goes a long way.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Rexxed posted:

As to whether a gaming headset is worth it; the main consideration for any headset is if it's comfortable and if it has good sound quality. I think goon consensus is usually to get a nice pair of headphones you like and a separate mic (like the Antlion modmic). Things like positional audio and 7.1 surround are meaningless on headphones because you only have two ears and positional audio is done by mixing the right and left signals, not multiple drivers (see A3D from the 90's and soforth) so it's done in software and not in the headphones themselves.

Ah, hadn't thought of something like this. I do already have a great pair of sounding studio cans anyway. Might just go this route.

Zero VGS posted:

Astro A40 is fine if you're not a self-described audiophile; they are comfy/durable and have a mixer that lets you do that voice/game audio thing you describe.

They're overpriced on Best Buy (like $250-ish) but easy to get used pairs with mixer on eBay for around $100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astro-A40-...6UAAOSwYwJZ9Ad9

Edit: I use mine without a mixer, I just plug the hedset straight into my Xbox One controller headphone port, Windows 10 recognizes both the headset and mic fine that way and you can use it wirelessly (wire from headset to controller, but no wire to PC)

I've seen these pop up a few times. What about them might offend an audiophile though? I'm not one, but after paying $100+ for some headphones I'd at least want to pretend I was.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there an updated general guide for a nice machine like the one in the OP but with Coffee Lake? I'm planning on putting something together with the goal of doing pretty high end 1440p gaming on some nice G-Sync/144hz monitor that I haven't bought yet. In my head I can spend $2000 between PC and new monitor but less would obviously be fine as well.

Is the 8700k worth spending a bit extra to get if I am just planning on using the mild motherboard auto-overclocking thing?

Thanks

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

GeorgieMordor posted:

Ah, hadn't thought of something like this. I do already have a great pair of sounding studio cans anyway. Might just go this route.

I've seen these pop up a few times. What about them might offend an audiophile though? I'm not one, but after paying $100+ for some headphones I'd at least want to pretend I was.

The 'audiophile' recommendation is to get a separate headphone/standalone mic rather than a headset. Something like http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f6e3988012a67cd1/index.html + a blue snowball ice

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GeorgieMordor posted:

I think they sound great, I just figure a serious audiophile would mock the "major league gamer" aesthetics of them.

I think I saw an audiophile site to a review lineup of the Astros next to some like, $200-300 headphones like Sennheissers and AKGs and give it middling reviews.

Long story short though, if you type "Astro A40 review" into google, pretty much everyone likes them a lot, even though they're reviewing them at $250 MSRP. If you snag a pair at ~$100 like I was posting I don't think you can go wrong.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The 'audiophile' recommendation is to get a separate headphone/standalone mic rather than a headset. Something like http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f6e3988012a67cd1/index.html + a blue snowball ice

Like he said, on paper that'll give you higher quality at a better value, but in real life the A40 is more practical because it's entirely designed around being a gamer headset, with little perks like the flexible mic you can angle to your mouth or pivot up and out of the way when you don't use it, in-line mic-mute on the cord for privacy, the mixer, optical audio in or USB-in on the mixer so you have multiple digital input options, etc.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 9, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, as of right now, the 8700k is in stock at NewEgg for $420 each, blaze it: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Finally snagged an 8700k on Newegg, looking for some hand holding before I pull the trigger on the rest. Primarily gaming and gaming while watching streams and whatnot on 1080p monitor and 4k tv at 60hz.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($414.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z370 Pro Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card ($514.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1635.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-09 15:31 EST-0500

(Already have 2 SSDs, also the retailers are wrong... I'm saving 5% this month on Amazon purchases, but that doesn't help when nobody else charges tax.)

Is that motherboard alright? I feel like I saw someone complaining about an issue with the Asus Z370 boards, but I don't know. I'm also not sure what I'm missing out on as far as features go when all the other Z370 boards seem to be $200.

I've gone back and forth a lot about the case and I think I've decided not to get an over the top case. Would appreciate a suggestion for one in the $80-$120 range that is well regarded and does well against dust.

Thanks in advance friends.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Still awaiting my Amazon pre-order. Delivery date pushed back from Friday to next Tuesday.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

Finally snagged an 8700k on Newegg, looking for some hand holding before I pull the trigger on the rest. Primarily gaming and gaming while watching streams and whatnot on 1080p monitor and 4k tv at 60hz.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($414.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z370 Pro Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card ($514.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1635.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-09 15:31 EST-0500

(Already have 2 SSDs, also the retailers are wrong... I'm saving 5% this month on Amazon purchases, but that doesn't help when nobody else charges tax.)

Is that motherboard alright? I feel like I saw someone complaining about an issue with the Asus Z370 boards, but I don't know. I'm also not sure what I'm missing out on as far as features go when all the other Z370 boards seem to be $200.

I've gone back and forth a lot about the case and I think I've decided not to get an over the top case. Would appreciate a suggestion for one in the $80-$120 range that is well regarded and does well against dust.

Thanks in advance friends.

Why not consider a Core V1 and a Mini ITX motherboard like the Asus Z370-I:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8EF5UY1178

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119036

Case is $55 instead of $180, much much smaller, will still fit your two SSDs and your full-size PSU.

They are dust free since they have a huge 200mm fan that sucks in air through a filter, causing positive pressure inside the case.

Also, just get the cheapest 16GB of RAM you can find, I'm seeing some around $135 like PNY Anarchy.

Between the case and ram savings, you should have almost an extra $200. Use that to get a 1080ti instead of the 1080 so you can jam that 4K TV, and thank me later: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487337

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zero VGS posted:

suggestions

I'm all about cost reduction to the point where maybe I go with a 1080ti for a near price as my current build, but the reviews for that case, and motherboard, have me a little hesitant and the case doesn't show as compatible on pcpartpicker. This one shows up as compatible though with better reviews: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QMp323/thermaltake-case-ca1d500s1wn00

I'm just so used to seeing 5/5 reviews for things. The issues with reviews don't sound like anything major, but maybe more than I'd like to deal with as someone who only learns enough to do this once every 5 years or so.

As for the RAM, I'm not seeing any DDR4-3000 priced that low. (I'm in the US) Was just going with what I've seen suggested in the thread. I'd love to save $60bux though, so if you have a link that would be great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

I'm all about cost reduction to the point where maybe I go with a 1080ti for a near price as my current build, but the reviews for that case, and motherboard, have me a little hesitant and the case doesn't show as compatible on pcpartpicker. This one shows up as compatible though with better reviews: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QMp323/thermaltake-case-ca1d500s1wn00

I'm just so used to seeing 5/5 reviews for things. The issues with reviews don't sound like anything major, but maybe more than I'd like to deal with as someone who only learns enough to do this once every 5 years or so.

As for the RAM, I'm not seeing any DDR4-3000 priced that low. (I'm in the US) Was just going with what I've seen suggested in the thread. I'd love to save $60bux though, so if you have a link that would be great.

I would not worry about the case, I have literally built no less than a dozen PCs with that case and never had a problem. I have the Z270 version of that motherboard which had an identical layout, no trouble there either, but you could go with an ASRock Z370 and save even more money if you don't need dual M.2 slots.

Understand that both don't have many reviews on NewEgg, and the people who show up to a review to complain are going to be over-represented vs satisfied customers.

Edit: The RAM was simply DDR4, not 3000mhz, but unless there's been some new developments, ram speed doesn't make a lick of difference with most things, like encoding or game FPS.

Edit 2: Some Linus benchmark:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 10, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Arivia posted:

You could save a bit of money by getting a 2.5” SATA SSD instead of a m.2 one. 850 EVO is a great pick in either form factor though.

I wouldn’t get a Seagate HD, they’re pretty unreliable. Look for a Western Digital Blue/Red/Black instead.

Otherwise you’re good. There’s a separate dedicated monitor thread for getting advice for that.

Thankyou. Surprisingly, the SATA SSD is the same price as the m.2, but I'll swap the HDD

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Here's NewEgg selling 16gb DDR4 3000mhz for $140: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GeIL-EVO-SPEAR-16GB-2-x-8GB-288-Pin-DDR4-SDRAM-DDR4-3000-PC4-24000-Desktop-M/292232667719

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

I would not worry about the case, I have literally built no less than a dozen PCs with that case and never had a problem. I have the Z270 version of that motherboard which had an identical layout, no trouble there either, but you could go with an ASRock Z370 and save even more money if you don't need dual M.2 slots.

Understand that both don't have many reviews on NewEgg, and the people who show up to a review to complain are going to be over-represented vs satisfied customers.

Edit: The RAM was simply DDR4, not 3000mhz, but unless there's been some new developments, ram speed doesn't make a lick of difference with most things, like encoding or game FPS.

Edit 2: Some Linus benchmark:

Definitely don’t get an Asus Z370 board for overclocking. (Unless you’re buying one of their top end ROG ones.) The VRMs aren’t good and don’t hold up. ASRock is fine.

RAM speed was proven awhile back to matter for gaming. (It matters even more for Ryzen due to the Infinity Fabric.) 3000 or 3200 speed is the sweet spot.

I wouldn’t trust LTT to benchmark a toaster these days, but that graph seems to be showing a GPU waiting on resources from the CPU and is poor RAM analysis.