Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ANTHONY KLAN,SAM BUCKINGHAM-JONESThe Australian4:20PM November 8, 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on emailShare more...

Salim Mehajer’s right hand man — and the face of his new wedding planning company — has been arrested over the execution-style murder of Sydney underworld figure Kemel Barakat earlier this year.

Ahmed Jaghbir, 28, was arrested this morning at his Guildford home as police simultaneously raided that property and the nearby Frances Street Lidcombe mansion owned by Mr Mehajer, the embattled property developer and former deputy mayor of Auburn in Sydney’s west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
loving property developers man.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Can the cops look for evidence of wrongdoing unrelated to the crash now they have Mehajer's PC and files? Has Mehajer's stunt landed him in hot water?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
salim mehajer owns and i respect him living his life

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I hope the never ending trainwreck that is Salim Mehajer never stops derailing because he just cant loving stop drawing attention to himself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
this guy no one outside of Auburn has heard of throws this one wedding so garish and everything up to including murder is met with "this is entirely unsurprising"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
nobody likes the noveau riche

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:siren:One of Rupert Murdoch's key business allies, who was arrested in last week's corruption crackdown in Saudi Arabia, has quietly sold off his $1.5 billion stake in 21st Century Fox.:siren:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/key-murdoch-ally-saudi-prince-sells-shares-in-21st-century-fox/9129470

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on emailShare more...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Synthbuttrange posted:

:siren:One of Rupert Murdoch's key business allies, who was arrested in last week's corruption crackdown in Saudi Arabia, has quietly sold off his $1.5 billion stake in 21st Century Fox.:siren:

Also they're just about to have a shareholder meeting that will mean Murdoch loses his controlling vote.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

copied from phone, dont care

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also they're just about to have a shareholder meeting that will mean Murdoch loses his controlling vote.

:getin:

Entropy gets all empires in the end. Once someone with a basic calculator who is revenue focused takes over how long until every non profitable venture gets shuttered?

I can think of a few that might be on the chopping block if it comes to that.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

ANTHONY KLAN,The Australian

A newscorp name if ever I saw one

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
oh look good work nsw labor you loving tools

Two greyhound training brothers who were suspected of involvement in a race-fixing cartel that administered alcohol to dogs have pleaded guilty to possession of euthanasia drugs, steroids and weapons.

Greyhound industry heavyweights John Vanderburg, 42, and Wayne Andrew Vanderburg, 45, were arrested in September, five months after detectives investigating race fixing and irregular betting swooped on properties at Yarramundi and Seaham, seizing veterinary pharmaceuticals, steroids, ammunition, knuckle dusters and magazines.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
never ever ever going to forgive Luke Foley for that one, it was beyond the pale

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/key-murdoch-ally-saudi-prince-sells-shares-in-21st-century-fox/9129470

We still don't know who he sold it to.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tasmanian crossbench Senator Jacqui Lambie is the latest MP to be drawn into the citizenship scandal threatening the Turnbull government.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I liked in this weeks media watch episode where Barry pointed out that if they don't do a proper audit, the media will dig and dig and dig and just do it that way.

They are making this so much worse and so much longer than it needs to be.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Can you look up other people on ancestry dot com or similar?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Reasonably important NBN news today:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/telstra-to-compensate-42000-customers-for-slow-nbn-speeds/9129166 posted:

Telstra has offered to compensate around 42,000 customers who experienced slow National Broadband Network (NBN) speeds.

The telco has admitted it may have engaged in misleading or deceptive conduct and made false or misleading representations, in breach of the Australian Consumer Law.

Over the last two years, Telstra mentioned in its NBN advertising it could provide download speeds of up to 100 megabits per second (Mbps), and maximum upload speeds of 40 Mbps.

After investigating this claim, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) concluded many customers were not receiving the high speeds they had paid for.

The corporate regulator said these maximum speeds "could not be achieved in real-world conditions", due to the limitations of customers' fibre to the node (FTTN) and fibre to the building (FTTB) internet connections.

"Our investigation revealed many of Telstra's FTTN and FTTB customers could not receive the maximum speed of their plan," said ACCC chairman Rod Sims.

"Even worse, many of these customers could not receive the maximum speed of a lower-speed plan."

The ACCC found that 56 per cent of FTTN customers (26,497 people) on the top 100/40 Mbps plan were unable to achieve those speed levels. Within that category, 9,606 customers could not even reach half of that speed.

Furthermore, 45 per cent of FTTN customers on the 50/20 Mbps plan could not benefit from that full speed.

Telstra has provided a court-enforceable to the ACCC regarding the remedies it will provide affected customers.

In addition to refunds, Telstra will allow them to change their internet plans, or leave their contracts without paying a fee.

It's not just Telstra, but an industry problem

The ACCC said Telstra came forward to notify it of these issues.

"We are pleased that Telstra proactively reported this serious problem to the ACCC and has cooperated in creating a remediation plan for affected customers," Mr Sims said.

"However, we are mindful this is not just a Telstra problem; it is an industry problem where consumers are often not getting the speeds they are paying for."

The corporate watchdog said it would investigate other retail service providers selling broadband plans over the NBN, and take enforcement action "where appropriate".

It also highlighted two separate issues affecting NBN customers.

"First, and the subject of today's action, is the situation where the connection is not capable of delivering the speed that has been sold," Mr Sims said.

Telstra has provided an undertaking to the ACCC that if it advertises to potential customers a particular speed "it will, within four weeks of connecting service, check each customer's attainable speed".

Mr Sims said: "If it is below the advertised speed, Telstra will notify the customer and offer remedies."

The second issue is where the promised speeds can "technically be delivered" but the internet service provider (ISP) has not purchased enough capacity from NBN Co to provide those speeds, particularly during peak times.

To address this "under provisioning" problem, Mr Sims urged "all ISPs to advertise the typical speeds customers can expect in the busy evening period between 7:00pm and 11:00pm".

"We have changed our advertising, marketing and sales processes," said Vicki Brady, the head of Telsta's consumer and small business division.

"We now use the standard ACCC naming convention to describe our speed plans and quote the typical speeds a customer can expect, including for the period when most people tend to use the internet."

I have no idea what overall effect this will have for consumers but it has to be good, right?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
nearly 80% of eligible voters returned the marriage survey :kimchi:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Periphery posted:

Reasonably important NBN news today:

I have no idea what overall effect this will have for consumers but it has to be good, right?

Would be interesting to see how many of these 42,000 customers attain decent sync speeds but do not get enough bandwidth allocated by Telstra. I know when I was with Optus I was always syncing at ~90 but only achieving less than 10Mbps at peak times. Always full speed with my current provider.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Zenithe posted:

I liked in this weeks media watch episode where Barry pointed out that if they don't do a proper audit, the media will dig and dig and dig and just do it that way.

They are making this so much worse and so much longer than it needs to be.

And yet I find myself preferring it this way. :munch:

The Before Times posted:

nearly 80% of eligible voters returned the marriage survey :kimchi:

Three possibilities:

1. Enough idiots said NO for goalpost-shifted reasons and/or to be an edgelord
2. Just enough idiots said NO for an otherwise clear YES to be weaselled out of by the remnants of the government who have managed to dodge S44 so far
3. Not enough idiots answered to gently caress up the YES result and same-sex marriage is begrudgingly made into law; Onion Man and his ilk won't STFU about their disappointment at people being granted equal rights, showing how divided the Coalition says they're not.

Do Labor and the Greens even need election campaigns at this point?

:munch:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tasmanian crossbench Senator Jacqui Lambie is the latest MP to be drawn into the citizenship scandal threatening the Turnbull government.

I thought both her parents were born in AU?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Any business that wants the constitutional right to refuse business to same-sex couples should be forced to have to have a big ol’ STRAIGHTS ONLY sign in their front window.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Konomex posted:

Doesn't the constitution also forbid politicians sitting if they're entitled to citizenship?

No, this is a misreading of 44i. You can be as entitled as you want, it only applies if you have a citizenship (or something that grants full analogous rights as a citizenship.)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ranter posted:

Surely that can't be right. That would mean that any country that entitles someone meeting certain criteria citizenship effectively prevents that Australian citizen from ever becoming an MP, ever, no matter what? Or is the prospective MP meant to follow through on the entitlement only to renounce it immediately?

MikeJF posted:

No, this is a misreading of 44i. You can be as entitled as you want, it only applies if you have a citizenship (or something that grants full analogous rights as a citizenship.)

gay picnic defence posted:

Can you look up other people on ancestry dot com or similar?

Normal country

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
just to continue the farce - although it's AIMN so take it as wishful thinking:

https://theaimn.com/turnbull-must-urgently-clarify-whether-not-entitled-israeli-citizenship/

quote:

The S44 citizenship saga has thrown up possible queries concerning the citizenship status of Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

The first is this interview with the Times of Israel in September 2015, recorded when Turnbull ousted former Prime Minister Tony Abbott and took over the top job:

My mother always used to say that her mother’s family was Jewish, he (Turnbull) told the Australian Jewish News two years ago. Judaism is passed from generation to generation on the mother’s side, so if his mother was in fact Jewish, so is Turnbull.

The second is a piece from the Australian Jewish News, August 2013, headlined “Menachem Mandel Turnbull?” in which the same statement is made by Turnbull about his mother, Coral Lansbury.

If Turnbull is Jewish, he is, as is every Jew in the world with the exception of criminals and terrorists, entitled to Israeli citizenship under the 1950 Law of Return.

How does this bring into question Turnbull’s legitimacy as an MP?

Section 44(i) of Australia’s Constitution disqualifies someone from office if that person:

…is under any acknowledgment of allegiance, obedience, or adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or a citizen of a foreign power… (emphasis mine)

E: extra bonus farce:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/08/jacqui-lambie-drawn-into-citizenship-saga-after-revealing-father-born-in-scotland

quote:

Jacqui Lambie has denied that she holds dual citizenship despite the fact her father was born in Scotland and may therefore have passed her British citizenship by descent.

In a further twist in the citizenship eligibility saga on Wednesday, the Examiner reported that Lambie had “revealed” her father was born in Scotland.

The revelation was drawn from a feature published in Guardian Australia in June 2016 in which Lambie talked about her Scottish heritage. A spokeswoman for Lambie confirmed her father was born in Scotland in 1950.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 8, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

freebooter posted:

Normal country

if you look at it from a certain point of view, we're willing on the collapse of an illegitimately elected government that has been urging the public persecution of minorities, using the federal police to bully their political opponents, and maintaining concentration camps described as 'human rights abuses' in our name

i believe when historians look back on these internet forums posts they will witness a tragic but valiant effort at resistance before we were all put to work in the coal mines

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

SadisTech posted:

https://theaimn.com/turnbull-must-urgently-clarify-whether-not-entitled-israeli-citizenship/

It seems that a lot of people are misreading the "...or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or a citizen of a foreign power..." bit. I thought it was pretty clear that if you're eligible to apply for a citizenship, but receive no benefits until you actually get it, you're in the clear. Hell, Xenophon did hold a second citizenship, but since it didn't actually grant him the 'rights or privileges' relevant to 44i, he was fine.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

SadisTech posted:

Crittenden v Anderson in 1950 probably puts this one to bed - it was about Catholics being disqualified sine they held allegiance to Vatican City, but the High Court held that this would be a defacto religious test and thus against the construction of s.116. I doubt being Jewish would be much different.

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 8, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
[quote="“Resident Idiot”" post="“478183368”"]
Crittenden v Anderson in 1950 probably puts this one to bed - it was about Catholics being disqualified sine they held allegiance to Vatican City, but the High Court held that this would be a defacto religious test and thus against the construction of s.116. I doubt being Jewish would be much different.
[/quote]

I honestly expected to read about turnbulls maternal Judaism on the UPF Facebook page before AIMN

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Yeah if someone thought Right of Return seriously did cause a breach then someone would have tried(and failed) to whack Dabny with it awhile ago.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Other posted:

Yeah if someone thought Right of Return seriously did cause a breach then someone would have tried(and failed) to whack Dabny with it awhile ago.

Also the right of the return is an entitlement that isn't "is Jewish, is Israeli". I think there are things you have to do while in Israel.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Treasurer expressed doubts over PM’s dual citizenship resolution

TREASURER Scott Morrison fired a fervid warning across the Cabinet table that Malcolm Turnbull’s plan to end the dual citizenship debacle could end them all – a prediction many in the Government now feel is inevitable.

The leak – the third serious betrayal of Cabinet confidentiality in as many months – for the first time embroils the Treasurer and raises questions about loyalties within the Turnbull Government.

In the past few months The Courier-Mail has revealed Attorney-General George Brandis used a technical legal argument against introducing world-first laws from stopping pedophiles from travelling overseas, and that Cabinet had strongly rejected the Referendum Council’s “radical” blueprint to recognise indigenous Australians in the Constitution.

As the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten failed to reach a compromise yesterday on a mandatory family tree disclosure, new details can be revealed about Monday’s Cabinet meeting.

Highly placed sources say Mr Morrison stated “I want to win the next election”, arguing the PM’s blueprint could be an own goal.

However, Mr Morrison’s criticisms were drowned out by those who said they “needed to do the right thing”, while questioning what the alternative option was.

It is understood Mr Turnbull had the backing of the room on Monday and Cabinet then signed-off on the draft resolution, which would give Parliamentarians 21 days to submit documents stating where their parents were born and to their knowledge that they were not dual citizens.

Mr Morrison is said to be frustrated by the Government’s inability to unshackle itself from the dual citizenship saga and wants to talk about real issues affecting voters, like cost of living pressures.

When asked about the matter yesterday, Mr Morrison’s spokesman said, “the Treasurer supports the Prime Minister’s resolution measure, as reached by cabinet”.

Yesterday, Mr Morrison was publicly backing-in Mr Turnbull’s plan.

“I think the Prime Minister has put forward a very commonsense proposal to deal with an issue that is not of the Government’s making (and) ... what we must be careful of is not to be distracted by this,’’ Mr Morrison said.

“Who people’s parents or grandparents are is not the reason that we need to act on petrol prices and electricity prices or on any of the issues that are affecting households across the country.”

After a two-hour meeting yesterday, Mr Shorten refused to sign-off on the declaration blueprint, saying it should be done sooner, be extended to grandparents and based on proof and not belief.

Some sources spoken to by The Courier-Mail since the Cabinet meeting say they feel they have already lost the election, and are ready for a number of Coalition MPs and Senators to be referred to the High Court and kill their majority – and possibly send them to Opposition trenches.

However, they are also real questions over at least two Labor MPs – Tasmanian Justine Keay and Queensland’s Susan Lamb – and face being referred to the High Court by Parliament by the end of the year if Mr Turnbull’s plan is successful.

It comes as Special Minister of State Scott Ryan has put up his hand to run as President of the Senate, meaning he would create a ministerial vacancy.

It has re-sparked speculation a reshuffle will happen by the end of the year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...6a83b373ece8980

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

"Oh hidy ho High Court, we've had a doozy of a day. There we were minding our own business, just putting up some bills in the house, when these Liberals started killing their political careers all over Parliament."

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mr Morrison is said to be frustrated by the Government’s inability to unshackle itself from the dual citizenship saga and wants to talk about real issues affecting voters, like cost of living pressures.

Definitely not intentionally leaked. No siree!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

quote:

LIBERAL Jason Falinski is facing questions about dual Polish citizenship as Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Labor leader Bill Shorten yesterday failed to agree on a deal to quash the growing constitutional crisis in Parliament before Christmas.

Mr Falinski could be a Polish citizen by descent, with ­immigration documents from June and July 1958 showing his father and grandfather had Polish citizenship when they arrived in Australia.

The MP for the blue ribbon north shore seat of Mackellar — previously held by Bronwyn Bishop — vehemently denies any suggestion of his dual citizenship.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal Labor MP Emma Husar wrote to the Polish Consulate in Sydney on May 24 last year to renounce her citizenship because Labor could not be certain the complicated Polish laws meant she was a dual citizen or not going into the 2016 federal election.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...1d22-1510156094

The pile grows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I honestly expected to read about turnbulls maternal Judaism on the UPF Facebook page before AIMN

It got taken down.

• Locked thread