Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Gotta laugh at the people thinking ridiculing thoughts and prayers is a cool thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

sarehu posted:

Gotta laugh at the people thinking ridiculing thoughts and prayers is a cool thing to do.

Republicans ridicule the concept of "sending thoughts and prayers" every time they use it to excuse them not helping in any material way

It's almost as though what you say and what you do should be in some way connected

*yells "Support our troops", votes for more wars*

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, until the GOP stops using it as a pass on doing their civic duty, it's an empty platitude to start.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sarehu posted:

Thoughts and prayers represent the pathetic inaction Republicans have when it comes to society's problems.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

sarehu posted:

Fixed it for you

They don't do anything except make you feel good about not doing anything.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
There's no such thing as society.

Many people have problems but it's their own fault or their parents' fault. Basic poo poo like not having kids while single. Nothing you can do about some fuckup like this besides genetically engineering psychosis out of your offspring or taking away people's freedoms.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

sarehu posted:

Many people have problems but it's their own fault or their parents' fault. Basic poo poo like not having kids while single. Nothing you can do about some fuckup like this besides genetically engineering psychosis out of your offspring or taking away people's freedoms.

Very sad what happened in this post. Our thoughts and prayers are with sarehu's family, they need all the love they can get today.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sarehu posted:

How much gold do you own?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

How much gold do you own?

Not with that avatar

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gillispie has a take on the situation in virginia:

https://twitter.com/EdWGillespie/status/187566550289625088

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

sarehu posted:

ow gently caress tag your takes man, i'm using this phone

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Its pretty crazy seeing how many people on the right are starting to pivot, most notably /r/the_donald.

Obviously don't let them pull the wool over your eyes, those idiots were die hard supporters and truly elevated the man beyond simple presidency. Now they are trying to act like "Yeah we like him but we make fun of him, we have a sense of humor, he is obviously not perfect!"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

sarehu posted:

Why wouldn't you mock people that are basically saying "gently caress you, I'm not doing poo poo to help you"?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

sarehu posted:

Why are so many anime avatars complete idiotfuckers?

Rhetorical question, I know why

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
dreading the day that America elects its first anime president

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Krabboss posted:

got some bad news bro

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

sarehu posted:

Many people have problems but it's their own fault or their parents' fault.

And many people have problems that are no fault of their own. Problems that those with power and money could alleviate with no effective cost to themselves. Instead they say "Our thoughts and prayers are with you" and then campaign to ensure that nothing is done to address the problems.

And then they get mocked, and then you show up to defend the rich and powerful.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krabboss posted:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

sarehu posted:

god drat it man didn't you know that every time you say that thatcher rises from tartarus itself to steal children's milk?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

dead comedy forums posted:

god drat it man didn't you know that every time you say that thatcher rises from tartarus itself to steal children's milk?

Hopefully she's covered in lots of piss.

If not, get to work you Brits.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Petr posted:

This would make sense, except their proposed solutions are things like "random women should volunteer themselves to stop men from committing suicide" or "legalize rape one night of the year" and poo poo like that. That's not exactly enforced Stepford Wives. If domination is your thing, there are clubs and workers and websites to find consensual partners. It's like they tried one thing, it didn't work, and so they went "welp, guess I'm a terrorist now."

Domination as in control and ownership over women, not the sexual fetish around power play.

Incels literally think women have "serve men sexually" as a basic function, and they're either failing to pay their part of that social contract/disrupting the natural order of things by refusing to insure all men get the sex they are owed. Prostitutes don't count because why pay for what you are entitled to, nor do the actual girlfriends/fuckbuddies of professed incels who don't count because reasons (probably involving magical vaginas that can cure a man of his deep-set misogyny so he can stop going to absurd lengths to justify it.) Basically they're just bitter, resentful assholes who have cross-pollinated "society has failed me" with "I never get laid" to produce their own unique excuse for hating the world.

One more thing. The most common feature of every mass shooter is overwhelmingly a history of domestic violence, and most mass shootings (defined as a killing of at least three people at once) involve the death of a current/former partner or family member. Of women murdered in the US, most are as a result of intimate partner violence. "I got rejected by a women, guess I'm a terrorist now" isn't a radical jump for a large amount of men; it's just scaling up their violence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pop culture and society in general fetishizes the idea of 'getting the girl,' of working hard enough to make some attractive girl fall over for you. therefore, men are the ones that sweep women off their feet and women are the ones that are supposed to go 'okay, you've swept me off my feet now, lets gently caress.'

there are infinite stories of guys who a girl originally hated working hard enough to earn their love. so a bunch of idiots who never talk to anyone and only watch refried nerd stuff go 'oh, I have to work to get a girl to love me, what should I do for thee fair maiden?'

and then the girl says 'gently caress off, I'll never be interested in you,' and those guys don't take it as 'okay, fair enough, time to move onto the next girl,' but as a challenge to keep trying, to win her over.

and when that doesn't work the takeaway isn't 'maybe I'm being a creep' but 'women have impossible standards that I can never meet,' because they're stuck in the idea that a rejection is an offer to keep trying, that the women they're interested in expect them to meet any standards whatsoever instead of just wanting them to go away or valuing them as a friend without having any romantic interest in them.

so the guy feels completely worthless from the ground up, so he blames women for making him feel that way, because their standards are too high. It isn't about sex, it's about wanting to feel validated. Buying a prostitute or whatever would be an admittance of failure, acknowledging that they can't get laid any other way. If you look through some of those forums and subreddits, there's lots of stories of guys buying prostitutes and it making them feel worse and making them dig their heels in even more.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Also the concept of the friendzone is a crock of poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

pop culture and society in general fetishizes the idea of 'getting the girl,' of working hard enough to make some attractive girl fall over for you. therefore, men are the ones that sweep women off their feet and women are the ones that are supposed to go 'okay, you've swept me off my feet now, lets gently caress.'

there are infinite stories of guys who a girl originally hated working hard enough to earn their love. so a bunch of idiots who never talk to anyone and only watch refried nerd stuff go 'oh, I have to work to get a girl to love me, what should I do for thee fair maiden?'

and then the girl says 'gently caress off, I'll never be interested in you,' and those guys don't take it as 'okay, fair enough, time to move onto the next girl,' but as a challenge to keep trying, to win her over.

and when that doesn't work the takeaway isn't 'maybe I'm being a creep' but 'women have impossible standards that I can never meet,' because they're stuck in the idea that a rejection is an offer to keep trying, that the women they're interested in expect them to meet any standards whatsoever instead of just wanting them to go away or valuing them as a friend without having any romantic interest in them.

so the guy feels completely worthless from the ground up, so he blames women for making him feel that way, because their standards are too high. It isn't about sex, it's about wanting to feel validated. Buying a prostitute or whatever would be an admittance of failure, acknowledging that they can't get laid any other way. If you look through some of those forums and subreddits, there's lots of stories of guys buying prostitutes and it making them feel worse and making them dig their heels in even more.

As someone who pined for a girl who, quite rightfully, spurned me, this is eerily accurate. The difference is that it provoked me to self examine instead of trying to turn those gut reactions into a loving ideology.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Play for full effect.

boner confessor posted:

he got twelve grand directly from the party and tens of thousands more from dem affiliated pacs

But apart from all of that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

As someone who pined for a girl who, quite rightfully, spurned me, this is eerily accurate. The difference is that it provoked me to self examine instead of trying to turn those gut reactions into a loving ideology.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you'd gotten the Reddit community help you needed, you too could have been an incel.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Incels are basically people who have still not read the incel mocking thread on SA enough to learn how loving embarrassing they are with everything they say and do in person and post online when it comes to women. They haven't seen the pattern of meltdowns repeat itself enough times to learn how being pathetic goes down every time.

They look for the answer to the big question, what is it that they're missing that popular men have, thinking once they get it they'll finally be popular with the girls. But the problem is what they already have - those internet posts and corresponding actions. Women are attracted to people who don't do all those things. Women abhor uncomfortable situations. Give women the intellectual credit that they prioritize that over some primal poo poo.

The secret cure for an incel is to realize they need to focus on what not to do, which girls care far about more as opposed to what to do. Sitting back and doing nothing would be enough to fix the social life of a supposed "incel" because it would mitigate their damage. Like, jesus, just do the opposite of any of the posts in the incel mocking thread, read it all front to back, internalize / learn it by heart, and stop creating similar uncomfortable situations for everyone.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 8, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trump Thread: Incel Saga

Kale
May 14, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Why are so many anime avatars complete idiotfuckers?

Rhetorical question, I know why

The one's in here are downright tolerable if not fine and well adjusted in comparison to the one's you normally encounter around the internet just shouting memes and being ignorant of just about everything. I used to kind of be into that stuff in high school and early university life (we're talking like early 2000ish) but then it all started getting really loving weird and unpleasant and the fans creepier and creepier and annoying to be around in any capacity so I was just kind of like NOPE. Now I just kind of come to expect certain things from the anime avatar internet crowd......mainly the worst. I still play JRPG's so that's usually where I get the full dose of annoying antics. Ever been in a Persona discussion? How about Final Fantasy? Awesome games but my first instinct in running across a fan of it is to get the gently caress out fast.

Also wait what thread am I in again? Are we giving dating advice, talking about off year elections or did I stumble into ADTRW by mistake?

Kale fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 8, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

gonna pivot as far away as possible from incel chat

boner confessor posted:

everyone knew taft was a big guy, they had pictures and other graphic imagery representing the man. his fatness was used to make him seem more jolly and approachable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

gonna pivot as far away as possible from incel chat

VOTER'S face in the bottom panel would make an excellent av

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

America should have gone with re-electing Taft.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Just woke up, did Hillary win?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

sarehu posted:

the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community

:thunk:

I guess if you sincerely believe the first part you could think the second without godwinning yourself but...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

logger posted:

America should have gone with re-electing Taft.
Didn't somebody do a book that was about Taft vanishing at the end of his first term, then reappearing in 2012 and running for a second?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Duke Igthorn posted:

"My family was killed by a shooter who shouldn't have been able to get a gun!"
"Here are some thoughts and prayers to fill that hole in your life."
"I can't take my gun into Starbucks!"
"WE MUST PASS SOME NEW LAWS WITHOUT DELAY!!"

"My child was in a movie theater and got shot"
"We can't legislate away evil people doing evil things"

"A Muslim guy was on an airplane and tried to blow it up with a bomb hidden in his shoe"
"Everyone must take their shoes off at airports until the end of time, and Muslims are no longer allowed to get tourist visas"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't somebody do a book that was about Taft vanishing at the end of his first term, then reappearing in 2012 and running for a second?

Taft 2012.

Bought it as a novelty item for the 2012 election. Not an awful book but still not something I would go out of my way to read. It relies heavily on the “past man doesn’t know how future works” joke. Has a “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” vibe throughout.

I think Taft hooks up with a heavy metal guitarist at one point.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 8, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I’m bummed Rev Cole didn’t win the VA 28th here in Stafford, however it was only by about 7k votes. This county is now juuuust on the red side when only a few years ago it was something like R+5.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

there wolf posted:

Domination as in control and ownership over women, not the sexual fetish around power play.

Incels literally think women have "serve men sexually" as a basic function, and they're either failing to pay their part of that social contract/disrupting the natural order of things by refusing to insure all men get the sex they are owed. Prostitutes don't count because why pay for what you are entitled to, nor do the actual girlfriends/fuckbuddies of professed incels who don't count because reasons (probably involving magical vaginas that can cure a man of his deep-set misogyny so he can stop going to absurd lengths to justify it.) Basically they're just bitter, resentful assholes who have cross-pollinated "society has failed me" with "I never get laid" to produce their own unique excuse for hating the world.

One more thing. The most common feature of every mass shooter is overwhelmingly a history of domestic violence, and most mass shootings (defined as a killing of at least three people at once) involve the death of a current/former partner or family member. Of women murdered in the US, most are as a result of intimate partner violence. "I got rejected by a women, guess I'm a terrorist now" isn't a radical jump for a large amount of men; it's just scaling up their violence.

These idiots hold up Elliot Rodger as an ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Hence Evangelical support for the Muslim ban. You don’t target restrictions at potential terrorists, those with relevant skills, capabilities, training or dispositions. You need to target those sincere believers who have honest justification for hating you. Because otherwise they will use their magic prayer powers to make terrorism happen. And this terrorism would be the worst kind, that with no secular explanation.

Like, say, some everyday white guy decides to just go shoot up a church some day...

• Locked thread