Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

John Murdoch posted:

Other city builders and similar sims aren't necessarily off the table but Skylines fills its niche perfectly enough that they'd have to be really different to catch his attention. The Anno games are more removed from Skyline's contemporary style but they're also a bit more technical and involved. Project Highrise is unique, but dunno if he's specifically into that scale. It's possible some of the older, single civ builders like CivCity Rome might be a hit, but that's all down to his taste. The Sims (3) is also in a weird grey area because he fell down the Second Life hole a long time ago, so a lot of the core Sims gameplay is passe for him. I might try spinning it as more of a "let's design and furnish an OTT house" simulator, since that's also more co-op friendly.

How about the more strategic builders like Prison Architect, Evil Genius, or Dungeon Lord (War for the Overworld is a pretty good modern remake)? You could collaborate to build effective designs, even if only one of you is controlling it at a time.

Invisible Inc. might be worth a try too. It's X-COM like but instead of shooting aliens you're sneaking spies through compounds and trying to steal intel and poo poo. Turn based with an emphasis on avoiding combat, but there's base building and character upgrades between stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Prison Architect is pretty accessible but the graphics are crude and the subject matter is too grim. The rest are likely too mechanics-driven. What springs to mind though is Theme Hospital. (He was unfortunately ambivalent on RollerCoaster Tycoon.)

Invisible Inc. is too hardcore in terms of difficulty and learning curve.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I recently lost someone important to me IRL and I've been having a hard time shutting off the bad thoughts when I need a break from them, I've been having a hard time booting up any of my old games so I want something new that I haven't played before to distract me.

It needs to be something without much downtime, if I'm just sitting back reading dialog or watching cutscenes my mind wanders and I stop paying attention to the game. Preferably some kind of strategy game or strategy RPG that's engaging my mind and keeping it busy thinking about tactics or upgrades or whatever.

Can anyone recommend me some obscure/new non-grognard strategy titles that aren't $60 (total warhammer...)? I've already played Voidspire and Alvora (big fan of both), I've been playing a lot of Age of Wonders 3 recently and loving it. I like stuff like XCOM (I don't have War of the Chosen yet so maybe I'll get that) where I get a diverse crew and get attached to each of them but honestly I don't know how well I could handle losing a soldier I'm attached to right now, and it seems like WotC gives me more reasons to get personally attached to my soldiers than ever before. I definitely don't want to play something like Stardew Valley right now where there's a ton of sentimentality all over the place.

Bomber Crew looks pretty cool, but is there anything else people can recommend? If it's a well-known game and not basically brand new I've probably already played it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

deep dish peat moss posted:

I recently lost someone important to me IRL and I've been having a hard time shutting off the bad thoughts when I need a break from them, I've been having a hard time booting up any of my old games so I want something new that I haven't played before to distract me.

It needs to be something without much downtime, if I'm just sitting back reading dialog or watching cutscenes my mind wanders and I stop paying attention to the game. Preferably some kind of strategy game or strategy RPG that's engaging my mind and keeping it busy thinking about tactics or upgrades or whatever.

Can anyone recommend me some obscure/new non-grognard strategy titles that aren't $60 (total warhammer...)? I've already played Voidspire and Alvora (big fan of both), I've been playing a lot of Age of Wonders 3 recently and loving it. I like stuff like XCOM (I don't have War of the Chosen yet so maybe I'll get that) where I get a diverse crew and get attached to each of them but honestly I don't know how well I could handle losing a soldier I'm attached to right now, and it seems like WotC gives me more reasons to get personally attached to my soldiers than ever before. I definitely don't want to play something like Stardew Valley right now where there's a ton of sentimentality all over the place.

Bomber Crew looks pretty cool, but is there anything else people can recommend? If it's a well-known game and not basically brand new I've probably already played it.
Factorio can keep my mind distracted for hours.

Maybe check out Gratuitous Space Battles.

The Total Annihilation games are solid and on steam now if you haven't played them yet.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 8, 2017

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You've probably played everything I can recommend, so all I can say is, sorry for your loss, and I've used games in a similar way, but more the mindless, continual engagement, click-forever kind (Counter Strike, Diablo, Doom with the Oblige level generator, etc.).

Newer games: there's a 3D TBS Battlestar Galactica space battles game that looks pretty intense.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

I'm sorry for your loss. Chroma Squad might scratch the tactics itch. It's not as deep as XCOM and the like, but there's a lot of fun to be had trying to satisfy the optional objectives and chasing upgrades, AND everybody pops right back up after a battle is over. The plot is basically Galaxy Quest with Power Rangers and you can skip through it pretty quickly.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

If you like Real-time strategy you could look into Wargame series (Wargame: Red Dragon is its most recent installment) or its World War 2 spiritual successor Steel Division: Normandy 1944.

Divinity: Original Sin II definitely has a bunch of good combat but it's an RPG so the downtime between them might be too long for you.

If you don't mind games that are fairly mediocre I could recommend Tom Clancy's Endwar, old as it is: it's an RTS that is relatively fast-paced with rock-paper-scissors gameplay and progression for your units. Every platoon/group you deploy in combat has persistent stats and they level up/you can upgrade them as they gain experience, and each of them also has its own voiced commander, so you start caring a bit about them. It's not a bad game, just not very deep once you have the hang of it.

Frozen Synapse and games like it (Breach & Clear?) are also pretty quick to pick up and play strategy games that might scratch your itch.

Maybe Battle Brothers or the Mount & Blade series?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 4, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks y'all, there are some good suggestions in here and I'll be getting some playtime out of these. I already have Chroma Squad and barely ever played it, plus it will probably run on my crappy laptop so I can lay in bed and play.

I like Factorio but after a certain point it gets way too complex for me. Lots of these I have already played but that's because I have a bad habit of just buying every game that looks interesting to me in my favorite genres :argh: It might be time to give Battle Brothers another playthrough or try to really get in to Mount & Blade for the first time. Gratuitious Space Battles looks cool too! And the Battlestar Galactica game looks pretty neat but I think for the price I might go for Homeworld Remastered instead, I only ever played Homeworld 1 back in the day and I don't think I beat the entire campaign, but either way thanks for mentioning BSG which made me think of Homeworld!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's a Streets of Rage Remake that's very good and free. It basically mashes all the games together into one super game. Seems good for time limited co-op. I'd link it but I'm on my phone

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks y'all, there are some good suggestions in here and I'll be getting some playtime out of these. I already have Chroma Squad and barely ever played it, plus it will probably run on my crappy laptop so I can lay in bed and play.

I like Factorio but after a certain point it gets way too complex for me. Lots of these I have already played but that's because I have a bad habit of just buying every game that looks interesting to me in my favorite genres :argh: It might be time to give Battle Brothers another playthrough or try to really get in to Mount & Blade for the first time. Gratuitious Space Battles looks cool too! And the Battlestar Galactica game looks pretty neat but I think for the price I might go for Homeworld Remastered instead, I only ever played Homeworld 1 back in the day and I don't think I beat the entire campaign, but either way thanks for mentioning BSG which made me think of Homeworld!

Well, here's something to listen to while you don't play Galactica.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love the poo poo out of Monster Hunter, but there's not really a good Online Community for 4, and I really like grinding with goons online, or just playing with people in general, what's a good F2P MMO where you can group up and do poo poo from the beginning?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Turtlicious posted:

I love the poo poo out of Monster Hunter, but there's not really a good Online Community for 4, and I really like grinding with goons online, or just playing with people in general, what's a good F2P MMO where you can group up and do poo poo from the beginning?

Only partially F2P, but Guild Wars 2 is like this. Level pretty much isn't a factor when it come to grouping up with people. The OG game is free but you have to buy expansions. But theres no monthly fee either.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Guild Wars 2 has a lovely goon community and is a good game for low-effort screwing around and looking at the scenery. It's also got pretty decent PvP, which puts everyone on equal footing gear- and talents-wise.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If I already have the original Roller Coaster Tycoon, is there any reason to buy 2 on Steam? I've never played it, but I've heard that there are certain gameplay enhancements. I just don't want to spend money on a game I already own.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If I already have the original Roller Coaster Tycoon, is there any reason to buy 2 on Steam? I've never played it, but I've heard that there are certain gameplay enhancements. I just don't want to spend money on a game I already own.

You may be interested in this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/683900/RollerCoaster_Tycoon_Classic/

Supposedly it combines 1 and 2 into one remastered game. I haven't played it though, I just noticed its existence a few weeks ago. Personally I would go with Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 but download scenario packs from 1 and 2. That way you have all the games in to one mega game. The only downside to this that I'm aware of is that in 3 you can't kill your guests like you can in 1 and 2.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You may be interested in this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/683900/RollerCoaster_Tycoon_Classic/

Supposedly it combines 1 and 2 into one remastered game. I haven't played it though, I just noticed its existence a few weeks ago. Personally I would go with Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 but download scenario packs from 1 and 2. That way you have all the games in to one mega game. The only downside to this that I'm aware of is that in 3 you can't kill your guests like you can in 1 and 2.

Hmm..I might have to give 3 another try. I bought it way back when it first came out, but the Steam version might be better for my laptop (which doesn't have a CD/DVD drive). Thanks!

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I finished Shin Megami Tensei IV earlier this year, and have moved onto SMT IV: Apocalypse. I would move on to SMT: Nocturne, but I played through about half of that last year and got distracted, and would rather start on a fresh game. My question is: Which SMT series should I move on to when I finish Apocalypse? I tried Persona 3, and found it to be way too story heavy, so I’m not interested in the Persona games. It seems that my options are the Digital Devil Saga series, the Devil Survivor series, SMT: Strange Journey, or the Devil Summoner/Soul Hackers games.

Can anyone do a quick write-up about the differences in the series and what they like/dislike about each one? For instance I hear that Soul Hackers is dated, but I can't find much info on what that means.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I played through both Raidou games and enjoyed them both very much.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Digital Devil Saga is SMT except you are the demons.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've got a hankering for a low-pressure wilderness exploration game. With resource collection if possible. I guess kindof like No Man's Sky but less bad, and not necessarily involving space travel?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

McFrugal posted:

I've got a hankering for a low-pressure wilderness exploration game. With resource collection if possible. I guess kindof like No Man's Sky but less bad, and not necessarily involving space travel?

If you don't mind it being under water Subnautica is so loving good.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I'm looking for a game to occupy my time at work as a night-shift security guard. Something that I can easily pause or put down if anything serious is happening, either turn-based or with a good pause system so you won't lose a lot of the game if you happen to miss a single dialogue prompt or lose a bunch of progress because you suddenly need to put the controller down. I'm a big fan of strategy games (especially 4x and xcom styles), rpgs, and rogue-lites and repetitive but advancing abilities or goals really helps me pass the time. It also needs to be able to run on a laptop, so preferably something indie or that doesn't look terrible when you turn the graphics way down.

Any suggestions?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fumbles posted:

I'm looking for a game to occupy my time at work as a night-shift security guard. Something that I can easily pause or put down if anything serious is happening, either turn-based or with a good pause system so you won't lose a lot of the game if you happen to miss a single dialogue prompt or lose a bunch of progress because you suddenly need to put the controller down. I'm a big fan of strategy games (especially 4x and xcom styles), rpgs, and rogue-lites and repetitive but advancing abilities or goals really helps me pass the time. It also needs to be able to run on a laptop, so preferably something indie or that doesn't look terrible when you turn the graphics way down.

Any suggestions?

I'm guessing you've played Invisible Inc?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fumbles posted:

Any suggestions?

DROD
SteamWorld Heist

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fumbles posted:

Any suggestions?

Rimworld - pausable at any time, can run on anything considered a computer nowadays; you manage a group of people on barely-inhabited planet, trying to survive, build a spaceship and fly away. Almost infinitely replayable because of the randomness in events and world generation.
Check its thread to learn more - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FTL

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

As a night shift security guard myself, I have the following recommendations:
If you can afford a 3DS, consider getting one. All games are instantly pausable by folding up the console. There are several turn-based tactics RPGs available; Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon is decent and there's a bevy of Fire Emblem games if you have tolerance for anime.

In addition, roguelikes are excellent for this purpose. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a pretty good tileset, if you don't want the ASCII look. It's also completely free and runs on basically any system. Roguelikes are with very few exceptions turn-based.

Darkest Dungeon.

For repetitive but advancing goals I'm pretty sure you can't beat Stardew Valley, which is pausable at any time (IIRC) by opening the inventory.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Stardew Valley is available for both PC and the nintendo switch now. It does limit you to saving at the end of a day, but is otherwise an excellent game.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I've never played invisible Inc, and the stranded on a distant planet game sounds fun. What are DROD and steamworld heist like?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Fumbles posted:

I've never played invisible Inc, and the stranded on a distant planet game sounds fun. What are DROD and steamworld heist like?

DROD (Deadly Rooms of Death) is a puzzle game that feels like a roguelike. Rooms are grids where walking AND rotation take one turn, and you have to move your sword between you and any incoming monsters or else die in one hit. The monster behavior gets pretty complicated. There's a free version called the Architect Edition that you can download, but the paid version looks better and has some QOL improvements.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

SoR Blaze posted:

I finished Shin Megami Tensei IV earlier this year, and have moved onto SMT IV: Apocalypse. I would move on to SMT: Nocturne, but I played through about half of that last year and got distracted, and would rather start on a fresh game. My question is: Which SMT series should I move on to when I finish Apocalypse? I tried Persona 3, and found it to be way too story heavy, so I’m not interested in the Persona games. It seems that my options are the Digital Devil Saga series, the Devil Survivor series, SMT: Strange Journey, or the Devil Summoner/Soul Hackers games.

Can anyone do a quick write-up about the differences in the series and what they like/dislike about each one? For instance I hear that Soul Hackers is dated, but I can't find much info on what that means.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I played through both Raidou games and enjoyed them both very much.

I really liked strange journey. It's pure SMT dungeon crawling at its best.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

McFrugal posted:

Minecraft :v:

It depends on your tolerance limits for "low-pressure". There are a lot of survival exploration games with resource collecting, but most of them have elements of danger to give the collection some purpose.

7 Days to Die has randomly generated worlds to explore with tons to find (including underground caves and mines and stuff), but the entire point of scavenging is to build a base that the zombies won't bash to bits on the 7th day. But you can also tweak the settings and difficulty by quite a lot.

Terraria is randomly generated and has tons to explore and find, but it's 2D and focused on gearing up for boss battles.

The Long Dark is pure wilderness survival and exploration, and doesn't have the same elements of base building that the others do, but it's definitely a bit higher pressure and you'll spend the entire time desperately digging through trash piles hoping to find mouldy granola bars. You can turn off aggressive wildlife and only do battle with the elements, though. It has multiple maps, and I think it has randomly generated ones now, but the base maps were static.

Miasmata has excellent exploration, with semi-realistic map triangulation and lots of creepy ruins, but the movement is a little wonky and there's a demon cat stalking you (which has realistic AI, at least. I thought it was cool). I think the map is static but it was huuuuggeeeee. Lacks resource collection in the traditional sense (you can pick flowers to make into a limited amount of medicines and items but no real sense of building or progress, just exploration).

Honourable mentions:
The Forest (stressful cannibals trying to eat you)
Don't Starve (a war against attrition that you will inevitably lose)
Stranded II, if you can find it (possibly the first 3D "survive and build a shelter" game ever. The graphics look like poo poo but you can be eaten by blocky lions while trying to build a treehouse!)

Tagra fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 9, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you're going to seriously consider Minecraft in 2017, I would suggest trying Creativerse instead. It's basically vanilla Minecraft but way better, and also F2P.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah Long Dark is almost exactly what I want, but I'm waiting for when Episode 3 comes out because they're going to patch in some improvements to the first two episodes. 7DTD and The Forest are also in early access. There's a bunch of early access wilderness survival games actually...

I do typically enjoy Minecraft for this kind of thing but the combat kinda sucks and the modpacks available nowadays are a bit lackluster as well.
I've played Terraria to death already.

I think I'll give Creativerse a shot!

edit: holy crap please tell me the combat gets better than just standing there and holding left-click. That is WORSE than minecraft.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 9, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Since we're talking about minecraft-like building games, does anyone know some good minecraft-but-in-space games I'm not yet aware of?

I adore Starmade but with over 2 months of no updates and the multiplayer server population all but dead, it's passing development purgatory and well on it's way to development hell. Speaking of development hell, there's also Space Engineers and Empyrion, both are all right and I've been spending time with.

I'd really like a game with a heavy focus on complex spaceship building, complete with interiors to move around in. I know it's too much to ask for one that's out of early access, but one that has a glimmer of hope that maybe one day it might leave early access would be grand.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm looking for a competitive (as opposed to co-op) multiplayer fps that'll hit that COD itch without actually being COD if that makes sense. Something arena-y. I've recently been playing tf2 and had a short crack at Doom's multiplayer, but there's not many players on that. I played loads of BF4 and BF1 (dont have any dlc for the latter) and want something a bit smaller, I rinsed MW2 through to Ghosts multi and am hankering for that sort of thing, mostly played tdm or domination.

On PC, preferably Steam.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm looking for a competitive (as opposed to co-op) multiplayer fps that'll hit that COD itch without actually being COD if that makes sense. Something arena-y. I've recently been playing tf2 and had a short crack at Doom's multiplayer, but there's not many players on that. I played loads of BF4 and BF1 (dont have any dlc for the latter) and want something a bit smaller, I rinsed MW2 through to Ghosts multi and am hankering for that sort of thing, mostly played tdm or domination.

On PC, preferably Steam.

Titanfall plays almost exactly like CoD when on foot.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'd really like a game with a heavy focus on complex spaceship building, complete with interiors to move around in. I know it's too much to ask for one that's out of early access, but one that has a glimmer of hope that maybe one day it might leave early access would be grand.

From The Depths kinda? It's more focused around actual ships, but it's also possible to build pretty elaborate flying vehicles. Still actively developed.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

On PC, preferably Steam.

I'm looking for exactly this as well. I'm kind of deciding between Rainbow Six Siege and DOOM right now but I guess DOOM doesn't have many players :(

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

McFrugal posted:

7DTD and The Forest are also in early access.

Maybe I'm biased as I have been blessed as the Herald of 7 Days To Die, but it is a fantastic game that is very nearly feature-complete and far better than "early access". The PVP is pretty lacking (but avoidable), but the exploration, cooperation/teamwork, building, zombie-killing, progression, resource-collecting are all best-in-genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

AnimalChin posted:

I'm looking for exactly this as well. I'm kind of deciding between Rainbow Six Siege and DOOM right now but I guess DOOM doesn't have many players :(

Doom's campaign is worth the price of admission alone