Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not seeing a WHM-6D in that list. Very disappointed in you all.

I've been buying oddball mechs lately...

AWS-8T - 5x ML, MRM80
ON1-K - AC20, 2x SRM6, 4x ML

Think I'm going to get a Kintaro next. Or build a MRM Treb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Skippy McPants posted:

Agreed on all counts. If you're getting back into things and want to do well then the HBR, EBJ, and MAD-IIC all offer peak performance at the C-bill level.

I might just switch over then. I also have 17k MC from being a Founder so I can buy up MC-only stuff and I don't mind spending some of it on a mech or two to get me out of this gutter.

My current mechs are the original Founders mechs, plus a couple (L) mechs for some reason: CN9-AH(L), AS7-S(L), and KGC-000(L). I also have an AS7-D-DC, STK-5M, and STK-3F, which I'm not particularly attached to with the current meta being so strongly against brawlers.

I don't know what the new Skill tree poo poo is so I didn't spend a dime of anything into those.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Office Thug posted:

I might just switch over then. I also have 17k MC from being a Founder so I can buy up MC-only stuff and I don't mind spending some of it on a mech or two to get me out of this gutter.

Wait for holiday sales.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

Wait for holiday sales.

Alright will do.

Another question, how do I buy Clan mechs regularly like the Ebon Jaguar? I don't see it in the store.

Edit: nevermind I'm dumb, I thought it was a light mech :downs:

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 5, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The only mechs I really own are storm crow variants and locusts. Are any of those good right now? I have the pirate's bane variant.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Alright. It's been 3 months. I'm re-installing. The need for shooting robots has superseded my desire to not get kicked in the digital beanbag. :(

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why do they like grungy piss-colored maps so much?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Office Thug posted:

If you have MC to burn, I'd save your C-bills for the skill trees. It costs about 4m C-bills and 75k Exp to fully skill out a single mech, and if you don't have access to legacy GSP (did you have a lot of mech modules?) you can run out of C-bill pretty fast, and buying more with MC is a horrible idea.

If you did have a lot of modules then between that and your MC reserve you should be set to play anything you want. The skill tree is a lot more straightforward than it looks at first. Most of the optimal specs are mapped at this point, so once you've got you mech ready just ask and someone here can give you a decent skill build.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The only mechs I really own are storm crow variants and locusts. Are any of those good right now? I have the pirate's bane variant.

The Stormcrow has fallen off quite a bit. Not awful, but IS Brawlers are the best mediums these days thanks to dem quirks. As for the Locust, it's a very capable light. Here's a Newtech build with all the good poo poo.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 5, 2017

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

If you did have a lot of modules then between that and your MC reserve you should be set to play anything you want. The skill tree is a lot more straightforward than it looks at first. Most of the optimal specs are mapped at this point, so once you've got you mech ready just ask and someone here can give you a decent skill build.

How much of a difference does the Skill Tree make? I'm currently at a loss as to why loving medium mechs can stare down and core my Atlas before I can even break their center armor.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
You should only waste MC on cosmetic stuff (one shot patterns). Cockpit items can be earned from events. Unless you really want a hero mech, but wait for it to go on sale. Other than that, most of the good mechs are available for cbills. The rest will probably be real money locked until their c-bill release.

johntherussian fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 5, 2017

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Office Thug posted:

How much of a difference does the Skill Tree make? I'm currently at a loss as to why loving medium mechs can stare down and core my Atlas before I can even break their center armor.

The skill tree does make a difference, but it won't fix bad play. Learn to torso twist and aim properly. If you are getting cored out by a medium, you must be standing still and staring at mechs. Twist off damage. Use cover while you/your weapons cool down.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

johntherussian posted:

The skill tree does make a difference, but it won't fix bad play. Learn to torso twist and aim properly. If you are getting cored out by a medium, you must be standing still and staring at mechs. Twist off damage. Use cover while you/your weapons cool down.

I know, I'm doing everything I can and I'm still getting wrecked at light speed.

For fun I decided to buy an Arctic Cheetah (since I needed a good Light anyways) and ran a few matches with it without skills, and it was pretty much horrible all around. I then skilled it up and it's night and day. I killed 4 mechs in a single match with it, then in another match I was the last mech standing and brawled it out with way too many mechs to handle but still managed to tear off parts and live for quite a while.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Office Thug posted:

A big difference. To give a practical example, here's what a mech's full effective HP looks like with and without the full survival tree (32 of 90 total points):

As you can see, a 65-ton mech with full survival has the same HP as an unspec'ed 85-tonner. I'd call that a pretty big deal.

Edit: Anyhoo, here's a baseline Skill Tree Build that'll work well with most Laser Boats. Although you'll need points in Sensors for the ECM if you use a Hellbringer, something like This.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 5, 2017

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: Anyhoo, here's a baseline Skill Tree Build that'll work well with most Laser Boats. Although you'll need points in Sensors for the ECM if you use a Hellbringer, something like This.

Thank you, these skill plans are exactly what I needed!

One last thing, how do I redeem those loot bag things? I tried every link I could see on the website but no dice.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Office Thug posted:

Thank you, these skill plans are exactly what I needed!

One last thing, how do I redeem those loot bag things? I tried every link I could see on the website but no dice.

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Holy poo poo, I would have never looked there, thank you!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

General Battuta posted:

The Black Lanner has some extremely silly tabletop art, so I'm always impressed when an artist rescues it from itself

In MWLL the Lanner had some hitbox problems which let it swallow damage, especially splash damage, so it could shrug off an ungodly amount of fire. For a few patches the tryhard scourge was a variant called the Sunny D, with MASC, a bunch of heavy lasers and an ATM-HE - it could run up to just about anything and cook it, then you'd have plenty of time to argue about your glitched cheese mech while you ran away on MASC.

Yeah Alex does an amazing job at that too bad pgi's digital artists make it retarded again

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bubbacub posted:

So you can RP PGI pissing on your hopes and dreams.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Bubbacub posted:

:smugdon: -> :pisstape:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Thoatse posted:

Yeah Alex does an amazing job at that too bad pgi's digital artists make it retarded again

It is extremely retarded that the pictures of hero mechs on their store page does not reflect the loadouts that are possible to have on that mech. The Sköll being a good example, it looks amazing but when you check the actual hardpoints....it's nothing like the picture god drat dude.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Pretty sure there's a variant with those hardpoints. They're just showing off the camo pattern.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure it even says on the page that the mech in the picture will not necessarily reflect the loadout on the mech for purchase.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

johntherussian posted:

Pretty sure it even says on the page that the mech in the picture will not necessarily reflect the loadout on the mech for purchase.

Correct, it's just stupid.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Anyone got some good ideas on what to do with the Thanatos? The hero with the 5 missile slots right hand should be interesting at least.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Anyone got some good ideas on what to do with the Thanatos? The hero with the 5 missile slots right hand should be interesting at least.

You have 9 crits(no hand actuator), which is the limiting factor.

I mean, if you have the tonnage you can do 4 streak 4 and an MRM30.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think your biggest problem with that is going to be as soon as people see what you're running, that arm is coming straight off.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

On the plus side, if you run LRM5's, nobody will see you! And assist xp on everything.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fil5000 posted:

I think your biggest problem with that is going to be as soon as people see what you're running, that arm is coming straight off.

Of course everyone will aim for the hand. Just like everyone tries to XL check your 5xLPL BLR-2C or blow off the MG arm in the Crit Lynx or your left torso in the laser Hellbringer or your right godhand in the EXE-D and so on.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh yeah, it's just that between the Thanatos' barrel chest and that big beefy arm, they've got a lot to aim at. I've not seen what the hitboxes look like but I'm going to hazard a guess that anyone aiming for the right side of you is going to comfortably hit one or the other, and losing either costs you the arm.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fil5000 posted:

Oh yeah, it's just that between the Thanatos' barrel chest and that big beefy arm, they've got a lot to aim at. I've not seen what the hitboxes look like but I'm going to hazard a guess that anyone aiming for the right side of you is going to comfortably hit one or the other, and losing either costs you the arm.

Do you have any good builds to share or do you just want to complain about a mech that isn't even released yet?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dual Guass, ECM, and Stealth Armor. Sit max range and plink away at people.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

Do you have any good builds to share or do you just want to complain about a mech that isn't even released yet?

Yeah man, talking about the mech geometry is completely irrelevent to build discussions, good talk.

I'm not saying "mech is bad", I'm saying that a mech with big side torsos and hands that loads most of it's weapons into one component is a risky proposition, just like the AC/20 or AC/10 Hunchback variants.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

Dual Guass, ECM, and Stealth Armor. Sit max range and plink away at people.

Yeah, yeah, that's a good build but so boring. I spent the money for the fist of god, now I need some cool poo poo to put there. Don't tell me PGI lured me in with the promise of blasting face but unable to do so due to low amount of slots. Tell me it isn't true, tell me I made a good purchase. Please.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah man, talking about the mech geometry is completely irrelevent to build discussions, good talk.

I'm not saying "mech is bad", I'm saying that a mech with big side torsos and hands that loads most of it's weapons into one component is a risky proposition, just like the AC/20 or AC/10 Hunchback variants.

My point was that you are just stating the obvious. I asked for cool builds and got a response about getting the god hand blown off. Of course people will aim for it. Every pre-order is the same, people talk poo poo about geometry, torsos, arms, heads (Annihilator anyone? Omg it won't work the head is so tall...).

It's so boring to constantly hear the same poo poo over and over again. The only people still playing this game is the ones that have been playing it for long, we all know about that poo poo, we heard it a thousand times.

Hey john, maybe now would be a good time to post that prepared rant you were talking about yesterday :smug:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Yeah, yeah, that's a good build but so boring. I spent the money for the fist of god, now I need some cool poo poo to put there. Don't tell me PGI lured me in with the promise of blasting face but unable to do so due to low amount of slots. Tell me it isn't true, tell me I made a good purchase. Please.

As a brawler? Probably not. Hardpoints aren't quite there and as Fil points out the Hitboxes are awful. Good quirks might elevate it a tad, but there's no way it competes with something like the Onion IIC.

Looking through the variants, the TNS-5S is the only one that jumps out at me. It'll fit the 2xGuass 4xERML that WHM-6Rs favor, which is a good build. Pros are five more tons of space, ECM, and Jumpjets. Cons: can't strip the arms, worse hitboxes. That one goes down to the quirks, probably.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TjyvTompa posted:

My point was that you are just stating the obvious. I asked for cool builds and got a response about getting the god hand blown off. Of course people will aim for it. Every pre-order is the same, people talk poo poo about geometry, torsos, arms, heads (Annihilator anyone? Omg it won't work the head is so tall...).

It's so boring to constantly hear the same poo poo over and over again. The only people still playing this game is the ones that have been playing it for long, we all know about that poo poo, we heard it a thousand times.

Hey john, maybe now would be a good time to post that prepared rant you were talking about yesterday :smug:

Dammit fil! Your grasp of the obvious has ruined my immersion!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

armchairyoda posted:

Dammit fil! Your grasp of the obvious has ruined my immersion!

Eh, I didn't get a "my immersion!" vibe there, to be fair. I DO think it's pretty dumb to assume that anyone asking for builds automatically knows all the possible downsides though. And I'm looking forward to this John rant.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Fil5000 posted:

Eh, I didn't get a "my immersion!" vibe there, to be fair. I DO think it's pretty dumb to assume that anyone asking for builds automatically knows all the possible downsides though. And I'm looking forward to this John rant.

$5 on it containing “twist”.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Well now you all ruined it. Epic rant: CANCELLED FOREVER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Man, you said it was PREPARED. Are you just going to let it go to waste?

• Locked thread