Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

joat mon posted:

Tell us your Clayton Hartwig theories too!

16 inch inflatable kickball accidentally kicked into barrel of gun causing the gun to backfire Looney Tunes style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Not necessarily, I'd think? I mean, my current contract is aecf, so I figure I would actually have to sign for nuke or secf for that form to become relevant?

You signed a piece of paper saying that you forever and irrevocably agree to serve on submarines at the needs of the Navy for whatever reason they present you.

If you are, for any reason, unable to complete your contract (including the Navy saying there are too many of you) you can be easily cross-rated into whatever the Navy wants which now includes submarines.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
But think about the sweet sub pay he will be raking in.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The foods better!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PneumonicBook posted:

The foods better!

Plus he'll become noseblind to pretty much all BO! :v:

Oh, heh - some nuke guy wrote an article about what it's like to be a nuke submariner: http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1276-6-things-movies-dont-show-you-about-life-submarine.html

"While I was in "A" school, we had one girl take a bunch of pills and try to off herself. In power school there was a guy who took a swan dive off of a third-story balcony. Last we heard, he was a vegetable. Yet another girl took the pill route; a dude started cutting himself and got kicked out. You probably have similar stories about your time at college, except in this case, those casualties are out of a class of about 20 people. It doesn't help that the Navy already has the highest rate of attempted suicide in the armed forces. There's a reason the mothers of Nukes have their own support group."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 8, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
this thread never stops giving, does it

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

KetTarma posted:

You signed a piece of paper saying that you forever and irrevocably agree to serve on submarines at the needs of the Navy for whatever reason they present you.

If you are, for any reason, unable to complete your contract (including the Navy saying there are too many of you) you can be easily cross-rated into whatever the Navy wants which now includes submarines.

You could literally be in and AECF A school, your chief walks in and says your getting on a plane to Groton, CT in 3 days. It's happened before, it will happen again. You may now rate change ONLY to submarine rates. That paper hosed you. Submarines aren't all bad, there are just a lot more better options out there. Feel free to PM me if you have sub lifestyle questions.

We don't want you to fail or become a statistic, just to inform you that nuke is literally the worst choice you can make when joining the navy.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Going through primary right now is really weird among the SNFO's, everyone is fighting to try and get slots at VT-4 to fly in any of the big wings, but people keep getting jet drafted even though VT-86 has a five month wait time to class up, you'd think with that giant pig in the python they'd slow the flow there.

I think they're just trying to get ahead of the looming problem. This is already having real effects on current O-4 selects, and it's only going to get worse before it gets better. Tailhook Navy is the best Navy anyways.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Being a nuke on a sub is the best life choice you can make. You will enjoy a great opportunity to STAR for a car and get instant E-5 along with a massive bonus check!

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Ouch, that sucks, when you were waiting for A-school did they make you guys do sweepers at the API building? When I was going through I usually saw some airmen and rescue swimmer aspirants sweeping/moving crap/standing random I.D checks in the hallway and felt bad so I'd sneak them candy bars when no one was looking.

Mostly just the barracks, plus some of us were put on working parties for MWR maintenance and such. I helped build a deck at the bowling alley on Corry, it was surprisingly chill.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

ded posted:

Being a nuke on a sub is the best life choice you can make. You will enjoy a great opportunity to STAR for a car and get instant E-5 along with a massive bonus check!

And with that check, the best car deals can be found at any lot located directly across the street from base.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Evil SpongeBob posted:

And with that check, the best car deals can be found at any lot located directly across the street from base.

To be fair, if that car kills your debt ratio and keeps you out of 7th fleet, it might be a really good deal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

Speaking as a statistic, I suppose it was my own fault for not explicitly stating that I didn't want to become one, I guess.

gently caress, you're stupid.

You probably don't know why this statement is a huge loving People's Elbow from the top rope, but trust me...it is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah it was one hell of a slam

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MancXVI posted:

Mostly just the barracks, plus some of us were put on working parties for MWR maintenance and such. I helped build a deck at the bowling alley on Corry, it was surprisingly chill.

Deck still safe to stand on as of two years ago.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McNally posted:

Speaking as a statistic, I suppose it was my own fault for not explicitly stating that I didn't want to become one, I guess.

gently caress, you're stupid.

:smith:

gently caress

SeismicTriangle
Nov 5, 2012
Hi yall, I've been lurking for a bit and probably going to continue with that just wanted to chime in that your pleads to not go nuke are heard by some. I decided against nuke when I started reading thru this thread a few months back and some other idiot asked about it. Lucked out and ended up getting CTN and now i'm at Corry and life is a whole lot better than what i'm hearing about Charleston from nukes I met in boot camp.

MancXVI posted:

Your deck still stands, unfortunately holding doesn't do anything as interesting or useful as that now, half of the people in holding just arrange rock gardens in hooyah navy ways. Its chill but would of been nice to have spent 2 months with something to show for it instead of just wasting time looking busy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hey LogicallyChallenged, go to the Navy recruiter, say no changed my mind, and go join the USAF to hand our basketballs at the gym or failing that, literally anything else

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Like no poo poo, you've hosed up in a way that cannot be unfucked by signing submarine paperwork. You can fail out of nuke school but you can't fail out of subs. I mean I guess you could fail to get your dolphins but you're going to be so loving miserable before they kick you to surface it isn't worth it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I take back my earlier comments, no way LC isn't a clever troll right?

Right???

e: If I was gonna troll the Navy thread I'd ask about the nuke program and tell people I'd already volunteered for subs then say that I'm a stubborn dumbass who doesn't listen to advice.

Actually, he sounds like a perfect fit for the Navy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lou Takki posted:

I take back my earlier comments, no way LC isn't a clever troll right?

Right???

e: If I was gonna troll the Navy thread I'd ask about the nuke program and tell people I'd already volunteered for subs then say that I'm a stubborn dumbass who doesn't listen to advice.

Actually, he sounds like a perfect fit for the Navy

Yeah i would say hes trolling but ive seen kids join the navy with exactly that outlook and they bullheadedly commit to the stupidest possible combination of job and location that the navy offers.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's hard to tell. There are people out there that like to "dig in their heels" because they derive satisfaction in doing these things and being "unique and interesting" enough to triumph under these circumstances. They some how only got or get attention and affirmation from this stuff. A god drat tragedy in this case though. There is nothing to win here.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

When I met with Navy recruiters back in college, they definitely tried to make it sound like nukes were the smartest most advanced job they had to offer.

Different subject, I know CEC expects 4 years active and 4 years reserve. Can I do the reserve part first? I recently saw that I might be able to do reserves and a state department job at the same time. I passed half of the state department application testing before I had to withdraw for personal matters, so I have a really solid chance with it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

SeismicTriangle posted:

Hi yall, I've been lurking for a bit and probably going to continue with that just wanted to chime in that your pleads to not go nuke are heard by some. I decided against nuke when I started reading thru this thread a few months back and some other idiot asked about it. Lucked out and ended up getting CTN and now i'm at Corry and life is a whole lot better than what i'm hearing about Charleston from nukes I met in boot camp.

Your deck still stands, unfortunately holding doesn't do anything as interesting or useful as that now, half of the people in holding just arrange rock gardens in hooyah navy ways. Its chill but would of been nice to have spent 2 months with something to show for it instead of just wasting time looking busy.

I was a CTN for 6 years. It was a comfortable rate with minimal stress. I'm now a govt contractor and life is great.

One of the other CTN goons is/was an instructor down there when I went through jcac.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Billzasilver posted:

Different subject, I know CEC expects 4 years active and 4 years reserve. Can I do the reserve part first? I recently saw that I might be able to do reserves and a state department job at the same time. I passed half of the state department application testing before I had to withdraw for personal matters, so I have a really solid chance with it.

No, you do the active part first. The only other way is to go from the street to commission is to get a direct commission in the reserve as a CEC O.

Edit: ^ Seriously, for the dumb soon-to-be nuke guy, I will give my last pitch to go intel or some at least some brand of crypto. Just find something in the Information Warfare rates, you could be a weather observer as an AG

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 8, 2017

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

I was a CTN for 6 years. It was a comfortable rate with minimal stress. I'm now a govt contractor and life is great.

One of the other CTN goons is/was an instructor down there when I went through jcac.

Two. FartSandwiches and I are both instructors.

Also, I don't know why you guys even tried to talk LogicalFallacy out. The Navy Thread must thrive. It can't thrive if no one is Navy. We sacrifice him to the reactor so our thread may live off his pain.

It's for the Greater Good.

When he stops posting. We'll know he went sadbrains. By the way LogicalFallacy, read the sadbrains thread so you know how to handle your future suicidal ideations. We don't really want you to kill yourself. It's just statistically probably you will attempt to do it. Memorize those resources when the time comes so you can get proper help.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Vriess posted:

Two. FartSandwiches and I are both instructors.

Also, I don't know why you guys even tried to talk LogicalFallacy out. The Navy Thread must thrive. It can't thrive if no one is Navy. We sacrifice him to the reactor so our thread may live off his pain.

It's for the Greater Good.

When he stops posting. We'll know he went sadbrains. By the way LogicalFallacy, read the sadbrains thread so you know how to handle your future suicidal ideations. We don't really want you to kill yourself. It's just statistically probably you will attempt to do it. Memorize those resources when the time comes so you can get proper help.

Also currently a CTN. I think Laranzu is one too.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Null Integer posted:

Also currently a CTN. I think Laranzu is one too.

Right. So were we.

Any CTNs that came through JCAC in the last 4-5 years have met one or both of us.

SeismicTriangle
Nov 5, 2012
Cool, class has been great so far you guys are doing a good job. Haven't gotten to the hard stuff yet though only a few weeks in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SeismicTriangle posted:

Cool, class has been great so far you guys are doing a good job. Haven't gotten to the hard stuff yet though only a few weeks in.

Be sure to visit all the local civil war sites and the aviation museum.

SeismicTriangle
Nov 5, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Be sure to visit all the local civil war sites and the aviation museum.

I've been meaning to get around to it. I'll be sure to check out one of them soon with the long weekend, plus a mandatory fun day tomorrow which includes a lovely 5am muster even for people in night classes :confuoot:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SeismicTriangle posted:

I've been meaning to get around to it. I'll be sure to check out one of them soon with the long weekend, plus a mandatory fun day tomorrow which includes a lovely 5am muster even for people in night classes :confuoot:

The fort and lighthouse are great and be prepared to spend a full day at the naval air museum because it's out-loving-standing. Just when you think there can't be more you realize there's a whole second building.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh and there's a crypto museum on Corry that you have to ask the front office a key to. It had multiple enigma machines (including a very rare jap-ger version) among other cloak and dagger stuff.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

SeismicTriangle posted:

It's not much harder.

Unless you gently caress up your math and are off by 1 in every block of some dumb loving sub net test.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

join the USAF to hand our basketballs at the gym

I've noticed this come up a bunch of times in this thread. As someone who isn't in the military, or even American, is this a really common joke about the USAF or is there actually a job where you will be handing out basketballs?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arrinien posted:

I've noticed this come up a bunch of times in this thread. As someone who isn't in the military, or even American, is this a really common joke about the USAF or is there actually a job where you will be handing out basketballs?

Yes to both.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It's not a rate or mos. It's usually a job done by civilian contractors but supposedly people have been assigned temporarily to work at the gym and other places and do that crap.

Depending on the kind of trouble you get into, big Navy has something called temporary holding units and they farm people out to do lovely jobs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I was put in a temporary holding unit for a fews days until someone realized they don't do that to reservists and just sent me home. Duty was 24/7 standby driver. Never got the call so I just slept and played video games.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blackchamber posted:

It's not a rate or mos. It's usually a job done by civilian contractors but supposedly people have been assigned temporarily to work at the gym and other places and do that crap.

Depending on the kind of trouble you get into, big Navy has something called temporary holding units and they farm people out to do lovely jobs.

In the navy that's true. In the AF it is an actual job. 3M0X1 is the career field and you can literally hand out basketballs for your full enlistment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Going through primary right now is really weird among the SNFO's, everyone is fighting to try and get slots at VT-4 to fly in any of the big wings, but people keep getting jet drafted even though VT-86 has a five month wait time to class up, you'd think with that giant pig in the python they'd slow the flow there.

Wanting to go big wings is dumb.