Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'm coming back to this game after about 6-7 months of not playing, and my old main, Roadhog, seems absolutely useless. Hook/Shotgun/Melee hasn't killed a single person, not even supports. Am I doing something wrong or did they just make him absolutely worthless now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fenarisk posted:

I'm coming back to this game after about 6-7 months of not playing, and my old main, Roadhog, seems absolutely useless. Hook/Shotgun/Melee hasn't killed a single person, not even supports. Am I doing something wrong or did they just make him absolutely worthless now?
Half damage and ability to move during Take a Breather makes him much tankier and his hook is key to putting enemies somewhere very dangerous for the enemy Mercy. But he has difficulty following up on his hooks solo now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You can still get a clean 200 HP kill if you're lucky and get enough pellets into their brain but generally you need to wing them first.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Straight White Shark posted:

You can still get a clean 200 HP kill if you're lucky and get enough pellets into their brain but generally you need to wing them first.

Seconding this, it's possible with a lot of practice and some modification to the technique to pull off a clean 200-0 hook kill but it's generally more advisable these days to do more like M2-hook-M1.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Please don't forget to melee after post-hook M1

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Really enjoying the newer version of Hog. He doesn't play that much differently, but the changes have improved my enjoyment immensely.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Snazzy Frocks posted:

does her ult do enough damage to

The answer to any question starting with this is no. For an example, she can manage to kill 2 testbots that aren't lined up over the course of her entire 8 second channel. Mentally compare that to how quick any dps can kill two separate testbots. I've been thinking about why it feels weak and maybe it's because that's 8 seconds of you promising the enemy you aren't gonna shadow dash off when they engage you.

Her ult is like her float orb, people aren't yet realizing that the heal side of it is superior and that the true terror of Moira is similar to what makes Mercy a pain. She can utterly undo multiple heroes damage efforts while also being an evasive motherfucker who's tough to kill.

Good note by gimmickman about the discord ball adding so much ult. That's very true. I'm getting better at banking the orb off of clutter, which seems important for making her threatening in open spaces. Definitely noticed how insane her ult gain is as I get better at making sure my orbs don't get wasted. They don't disappear until the cd on the ability is up after 10 seconds, it's very much worth your time to not let them just fly off into the sun.

I learned something today. her orb can bounce off a hay bale on hollywood to fry some fools around a corner, but they'll actually pass through those little cactuses that break on touch, and destructable rails as well.

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 8, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I played Moira at blizzcon and she is op as loving Christ

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Roadhog and his drat hook wreck 200hp people. It normally goes Shot/Shot/Hook/Shot when I'm getting boned.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Gay Horney posted:

They could make her drain attack do zero damage and entirely be a negative mechanic she has to deal with to self heal / gain healing charge, and i'd still consider playing her as an alternative to mercy. I'm not smart enough to know what to tweak to balance her.

I did some more testing. In addition to her discord orb giving a lot of ult, her heal spray, drain, and heal ball give a lot of ult as well. You can't not have ult as Moira.

The more I try her on ptr, the more I think the one thing that will keep Moira from being utterly dominant is how totally the newly buffed Ana can keep her in check. Anyone who is good at Ana, prepare to have a loving field day slaughtering the glut of weaboo Irish for a few weeks. Sombra too, actually.

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 8, 2017

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Its amazing what a few months can do. Now people are saying hog is OK after playing with the changes for a while? Weird how that worked out...

Has anyone said that Moira is "just a mix of Zen, Sym and Tracer" yet?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Redundant posted:

Its amazing what a few months can do. Now people are saying hog is OK after playing with the changes for a while? Weird how that worked out...

The 50% dr works enough that he can get into peoples faces and not instantly die anymore, so he can actually get his damage out. It's a pretty huge change.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Redundant posted:

The oneshot hook combo was one of the most satisfying things you could pull off in the last 10 years of video games and it's a loving tragedy that it's been lost to time but he's still good and effective even without it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Redundant posted:

Hog was far from OK after the nerf, it wasn't until two months later that his heal was changed to provide damage reduction and to be usable while moving which made him worthwhile again. During that two-month period he felt terrible to play and people's initial complaints were entirely justified.

He still doesn't feel as good to play as he used to but at least you don't have to feel bad about picking him anymore.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

dogstile posted:

The 50% dr works enough that he can get into peoples faces and not instantly die anymore, so he can actually get his damage out. It's a pretty huge change.
Right, it was 2 separate changes to hog. Its less weird how that worked out then.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
:)

No worries, i just used to really, really love hog, so i (painfully) remember every change.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Redundant posted:

I mean they buffed him after the Nerf everyone complained about.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Moira will be a lot less OP when they double both her cool downs. Having an invulnerable dash on a 6 second CD on a support was never gonna last. Change it so she gets a little less healing juice from her damage ability and reduce the range on it as well and she'll be in good shape

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's way too early to be talking about changing moira. she's been on ptr for less than a week

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I love the armchair game designers in this thread. :allears:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

They nerfed the hell out of his damage, and buffed the hell out of his ability to feed the enemy ult charge take damage. His killing power - and especially his single-shot killing power - are down, but he's better at surviving.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

lmao

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Gay Horney posted:

Moira will be a lot less OP when they double both her cool downs. Having an invulnerable dash on a 6 second CD on a support was never gonna last. Change it so she gets a little less healing juice from her damage ability and reduce the range on it as well and she'll be in good shape

How about we let the new character be good and have the new healer have a chance of dethroning Mercy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

thank goodness. might actually have other people on my team picking healer for once.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Gay Horney posted:

This kneejerk armchair designer poo poo murdered roadhog. Let people learn the new hero before you start whinging

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

pakman posted:

I love the armchair game designers in this thread. :allears:

Me too! I'll dial it back, i'm just really excited about her.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

They nerfed the hell out of his damage, and buffed the hell out of his ability to feed the enemy ult charge take damage. His killing power - and especially his single-shot killing power - are down, but he's better at surviving.

I wouldn't be so upset about this if his alt fire did 30% less honestly. I figured that out after reading it, because it felt like I barely chipped away at anyone even with alt fire headshots, which makes the hook and pull seem weaker too. Guess it's time to find a different tank to play.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

dogstile posted:

:)

No worries, i just used to really, really love hog, so i (painfully) remember every change.
No explanation needed from the RoadGod. I had a blonde moment and merged 2 updates together. Oopsie. I am legit glad hog is back in the meta though, he was always a comfort pick for me when things were going badly.

The World Cup kind of rekindled some of the OW hype, the UK taking a beating didn't exactly help but the hype survived so it's all good. How have the other big changes impacted things? Is D.Va considered good or bad now DM is nerfed but she has missiles? Is Junkrat actually OP or is that just water cooler banter? We will pretend Mercy doesn't exist. Did the Orisa changes help her to suck less? Did I miss anything else? Sorry for the wall of questions folks, for all the talk of change being slow in OW it feels like I have missed a whole bunch.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Junkrat is perfect right now please don’t do anything to hurt my perfect funhaving baby

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Junkrat is perfect right now please don’t do anything to hurt my perfect funhaving baby

Conc mine too strong. With two, it's like automatic death if he gets close to you. I hardly ever play him, but now I'm winning quite a lot with him.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Orisa never sucked and changes made her real good with teams who will actually play to her strengths.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm just telling you guys what's gonna happen shrug emoji. The armchair game designer remark is particularly funny

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Redundant posted:

No explanation needed from the RoadGod. I had a blonde moment and merged 2 updates together. Oopsie. I am legit glad hog is back in the meta though, he was always a comfort pick for me when things were going badly.

The World Cup kind of rekindled some of the OW hype, the UK taking a beating didn't exactly help but the hype survived so it's all good. How have the other big changes impacted things? Is D.Va considered good or bad now DM is nerfed but she has missiles? Is Junkrat actually OP or is that just water cooler banter? We will pretend Mercy doesn't exist. Did the Orisa changes help her to suck less? Did I miss anything else? Sorry for the wall of questions folks, for all the talk of change being slow in OW it feels like I have missed a whole bunch.

the d.va rework sort of reclassed her into an attack hero. she's really good and sees a lot of play.
junkrat isn't op he's just viable for the first time in this game's lifespan please don't touch my beautiful australian trash boy

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Roadhog didn't just "feel" bad to play following the initial nerf but before the buff, his numbers sank into the dumpster, pickrates and winrates both. He was in absolutely dire straits. I was skeptical that 50% DR was really what the doctor ordered and to be honest I'd still rather have a less tanky but more murderous character but it does seem to have put him back into a "you're not throwing if you pick this character" range so all right, cool I guess.

Junkrat is currently, without exaggerating, considered one of the best DPS heroes in the game, with pickrates and winrate stats to back that up.

The new D.Va is seeing a lot of use but she's very different than she used to be. You don't really want to dive the backline with her these days so much as wait for someone to get isolated or out of position and then blitz them with everything. For example, it used to be that if you went in on a Soldier on high ground that the best you could hope to do is maybe boop him off onto the ground or stalemate him because you couldn't really hope to trade into a Soldier standing on a healing pad, whereas now if you go in even on a Soldier with his heal down you can put out enough burst damage to kill him quickly. In a way D.Va basically functions as a Roadhog-esque murder tank.

Is that just a scrub tier thing? No, in pro games she's had as much as a 90% pickrate...but the thing is that a lot of that is almost certainly to do with the fact that Mercy also has a 90% pickrate. It's hard to tell how valuable D.Va would be if Mercy wasn't an issue, because in a game where achieving Mercy Superiority is a significant concern D.Va is the tank most suited to hunting down and ganking Mercy, so her pickrate and Mercy's are likely related. If the Mercy nerfs are enough to dislodge her from the dominant support pick it's unclear where that's going to leave D.Va at a pro level, maybe she'll stay strong, but maybe if people aren't as concerned about killing this one particular 200 hitpoint hero their off-tank choices will slide back towards Zarya.

e; also regarding Moira, remember people thought Sombra was gonna be OP as gently caress when she was still on the PTR and look how that turned out.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 8, 2017

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I can see them adding a couple seconds onto the cooldown of Moira's fade, but I'll be bummed if they do since it feels AMAZING.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I actually really like the new DVA and getting outright kills with her since the change. Helps I never really used Defense Matrix that much, only for ults and probably shielding someone from around corner gunfire. Also helps the missiles really help get her ult going now, as it was just so slow to get it to build in the past. Also the new "defense matrix and firing missiles while it active" is a death sentence to any Bastion if the other team has one, as they can do nothing while she just pumps missiles into them. They almost always die from it too.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 8, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Naerasa posted:

I can see them adding a couple seconds onto the cooldown of Moira's fade, but I'll be bummed if they do since it feels AMAZING.

I'm not really sure how a 6 second cooldown escape ability would somehow be considered more OP than, say, a 2 second cooldown Guardian Angel. Yeah, she blinks out of existence for a bit, but it's pretty quick and six seconds is still plenty of time to get murdered. Her utility seems good but by all accounts her damage is also not super great, everybody was predicting she'd be some Zen-esque DPS support but feedback like "her primary attack does less damage than Winston's gun" suggest that's not really the case.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Moira relies on being able to safely get in and get out to zap enemies just to keep her basic healing functionality running, so I'm not sure they can do much to her blink without crippling her. The orb seems like a more obvious target if anything needs to be nerfed, although I hope they just wait and see.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

e; also regarding Moira, remember people thought Sombra was gonna be OP as gently caress when she was still on the PTR and look how that turned out.
This was a really good post, thanks for the recap. I also agree that talking about any change to Moira is a bit preemptive, unless she is obviously broken (and it doesn't sound like she is) give things a few weeks/months to shake out first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

Moira relies on being able to safely get in and get out to zap enemies just to keep her basic healing functionality running, so I'm not sure they can do much to her blink without crippling her. The orb seems like a more obvious target if anything needs to be nerfed, although I hope they just wait and see.
If anything, I think they need to up the damage on the basic attack and drop it a bit on the orbs. The basic attack is really lackluster at the moment.