Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Captain Monkey posted:

S/he probably wants the other QoL improvements but different FTL options. Thankfully Stellaris has a robust modding community.

Yeah I got that. It's a just in case option since the changes are part of a free patch. Who knows how well warp/wormhole would work in a system that isn't designed for it at all.

Also handy to know whenever a new DLC drops and everything is buggy except for the beta patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did Wiz ever actually say the other FTLs can easily be modded back in? If not I wouldn't bet on it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to maintain all that code if Paradox isn't using it.

I suppose since jump drives will definitely stay in, you can probably make them a starting tech and remove the new drawbacks, but I wonder how well the AI would handle it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 8, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Having played with it a little, I kind of feel that World Shaper is a bit of a trap pick. Terraforming to your preferred planet type costs at least 2500e, whereas MoN plus genetically adapting your race to any given planet type is considerably cheaper and available at nearly the same time. You also only need to adapt once, rather than terraforming over and over again.

There may be an outside case for it if you've got ethics that give you a Purity faction, but lol if you went Xenophobe and didn't pick up at least Adaptable.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Aethernet posted:

Having played with it a little, I kind of feel that World Shaper is a bit of a trap pick. Terraforming to your preferred planet type costs at least 2500e, whereas MoN plus genetically adapting your race to any given planet type is considerably cheaper and available at nearly the same time. You also only need to adapt once, rather than terraforming over and over again.

There may be an outside case for it if you've got ethics that give you a Purity faction, but lol if you went Xenophobe and didn't pick up at least Adaptable.

If you're playing a machine empire, I'd say it'd be worth it for terraforming everything into Machine Worlds.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

If you're playing a machine empire, I'd say it'd be worth it for terraforming everything into Machine Worlds.

That's true, especially with the relative lack of other picks available to machines.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I dunno, as machine I went

1 anti blocker tech
2 cores
3 fleet cap
4 anti FE
5 habitats
6 anti crisis
7 maybe Machine Worlds but I stopped playing

you could argue to skip anti blockers, but then MWs are still 6th in line

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Just finished this: Smart Modification - Traits by Tile.

A mod that adds a trait that you can apply during genetic modification/robomodding. Once the project finishes, the trait's removed from your pops and replaced by the appropriate +Resource one for the building they're working (e.g. Industrious for Mines) or the cost of modding that pop is refunded if there's no valid trait. This should make biological ascension perks useful without insane levels of micromanagement.

Unfortunately as there's no way to get the *resources* a tile is producing it just checks via a huge list of buildings so won't modify pops working modded-in buildings appropriately (it'll just refund them), but it's still useful for anyone running mostly vanilla.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Talkie Toaster posted:

Just finished this: Smart Modification - Traits by Tile.

A mod that adds a trait that you can apply during genetic modification/robomodding. Once the project finishes, the trait's removed from your pops and replaced by the appropriate +Resource one for the building they're working (e.g. Industrious for Mines) or the cost of modding that pop is refunded if there's no valid trait. This should make biological ascension perks useful without insane levels of micromanagement.

Unfortunately as there's no way to get the *resources* a tile is producing it just checks via a huge list of buildings so won't modify pops working modded-in buildings appropriately (it'll just refund them), but it's still useful for anyone running mostly vanilla.

Stellaris is pretty robust about rolling with tokens it doesn't recognize (it just ignores them) so if you're willing to deal with the hassle, and users want compatibility, you can add mod-added buildings to the list. They will only be relevant if a user has the appropriate mod but they won't hurt anything otherwise.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

GunnerJ posted:

Stellaris is pretty robust about rolling with tokens it doesn't recognize (it just ignores them) so if you're willing to deal with the hassle, and users want compatibility, you can add mod-added buildings to the list. They will only be relevant if a user has the appropriate mod but they won't hurt anything otherwise.
Argh, fair enough. I've added a bit of text to the mod page telling people how to provide me with a list of buildings. If people want support they can do the legwork!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/928244924402819072

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Talkie Toaster posted:

Unfortunately as there's no way to get the *resources* a tile is producing
I'll be away from my computer until late tonight/tomorrow evening so I've no idea what your mod currently looks like under the hood, but I know if you make a building you can add modifiers by checking the tile for minerals > 1, energy > 1 etc. I was trying to make intelligently transparent buildings, which ironically it's useless for since it only checks for produced resources.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So it looks like claims are like if you were "building a sector" out of an opposing empire, and then fight a war to confirm it?

Influence cost seems high (though Wiz acknowledges it's WIP), considering a colony-less system costs 139.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

This is brilliant and a massive buff to influence, which was well needed. A +1 influence civic is now a must for conquerors. Also clicking on claims from the map is ace.

I'd like to see this interact with the faction system - if you have unhappy egalitarians on a planet, egalitarian opponents should get reduced costs for claiming it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

I'll be away from my computer until late tonight/tomorrow evening so I've no idea what your mod currently looks like under the hood, but I know if you make a building you can add modifiers by checking the tile for minerals > 1, energy > 1 etc. I was trying to make intelligently transparent buildings, which ironically it's useless for since it only checks for produced resources.

Yeah actually this is easier and I totally forgot about it. In the planet scope you definitely can check for this. For example, this is code from a mod I made:

code:
random_tile = {
	limit = {
		has_resource = {
			type = energy
			amount = 1
		}
		has_building = no
	}
	if = { limit = { has_blocker = yes } remove_blocker = yes }
	set_building = "building_power_plant_1"
	create_pop = {
		species = event_target:my_species
		ethos = owner
	}
}
In this specific case, it's setting up a planet with a colony and builds a power plant on a randomly selected tile with 1 energy (possible it's implicitly at least 1) and then creates a pop of a previously referenced species on it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

I'd like to see this interact with the faction system - if you have unhappy egalitarians on a planet, egalitarian opponents should get reduced costs for claiming it.

That would be fantastic.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The costs reducers are percentile so they are most useful if you are running high per-pop costs, as that will get reduced more. They're not bad if you're looking to stack mineral income but I would generally suggest getting +mineral output first.

Well I was thinking with combining it with mineral buffs as well! Then again, considering I am potentially picking Egalitarian-Fan Materialist, I am starting to wonder if pops living costs will not really matter. IIRC, I think robots are an upfront cost.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also why is there a +- button on claims? Can you double-claim a system? :haw:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

code:
		has_resource = {
			type = energy
			amount = 1
		}
Thanks, not being able to remember the exact syntax was driving me slowly mad.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
You can also do just "has_resource = energy"... If I recall correctly.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Aethernet posted:

would make deviants very risky too, I really like it

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LordMune posted:

Oh, cool.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Work in progress UI, is my guess. It might eventually just be arrow buttons or check boxes something.

eta: I was wrong!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 8, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Aethernet posted:

This is brilliant and a massive buff to influence, which was well needed. A +1 influence civic is now a must for conquerors. Also clicking on claims from the map is ace.

They're going to redo influence, because none of it currently supports every system costing a flat sum and all the other changes. I would just ignore any numbers in the previews.

But claims being handled with the map up to click on is a great change.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The Egalitarian voice is a low key Ronald Reagan impression, right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

Is there any way to pull info about the base tile? Like if I build a power plant on a mineral tile can I pull up suppressed resources?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Yeah!

I conquered a fallen empire for the first time, its neat how many weird little things they have. Opened up a shielded planet and got three spiffy battleships! I'm opening another, assuming they're like treasure chests - could be good, could be a trap, right?

Also I'm about to integrate a hive mind into my empire, how does that work? Am I going to be essentially killing it and all it's pops?? At least it's a devourer

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Splicer posted:

Oh, that *is* useful. I was testing:
code:
has_resource = {
			type = energy
			amount = 1
}
And that would *only* return the base resources, not what was being actually produced- which meant any tile that was being overwritten by a different building would assign the wrong trait. Right, time to fix that one up too!

E: Nope, looks like has_resource is the only thing that checks tile resources. Are you sure you were getting the *current* production?

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 8, 2017

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The Egalitarian voice is a low key Ronald Reagan impression, right?

Mr. Glurbachev, TEAR DOWN THIS ENERGY WALL

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gowb posted:

Mr. Glurbachev, TEAR DOWN THIS ENERGY WALL
Blorgachov was right there, man.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

canepazzo posted:

You can claim the same system multiple times to get a stronger claim than someone else.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wiz posted:

You can claim the same system multiple times to get a stronger claim than someone else.

So basically this is the new claim system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aflyz9IFoZE

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wiz posted:

Wow this sounds suspiciously like you can declare war on someone who is currently already in a war.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Aethernet posted:

My guess is we will see reduced claim cost civics/traditions/etc. for conquerors (and possibly increased claim cost for pacifists).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canepazzo posted:

So basically this is the new claim system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aflyz9IFoZE
Thought this was going to be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3e0EkvIEM

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Splicer posted:

Is there any way to pull info about the base tile? Like if I build a power plant on a mineral tile can I pull up suppressed resources?
I haven't tested if has_resource checks actual output or base tile resource, but if it fails you should be able to use has_deposit = d_immense_engineering_deposit to check the original base deposits assigned to the tile. In theory.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 8, 2017

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

LordMune posted:

I haven't tested if has_resource checks actual output or base tile resource, but if it fails you should be able to use has_deposit = d_immense_engineering_deposit to check the original base deposits assigned to the tile. In theory.
I've just checked and it definitely checks the base tile resource. I don't think there is any way to check a tile's output, there's definitely none on the wiki.

The old effects_doc/triggers_doc console commands don't seem to work any more so we can't see if there's any been added since about 1.6. Is there any chance we could get a list of current effects/triggers/modifiers/scopes? Even if it's undocumented names only, it'd be a huge help. The pop={} scope for tiles, for example, isn't on the wiki or even used in any of the scripts but works.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Talkie Toaster posted:

I've just checked and it definitely checks the base tile resource. I don't think there is any way to check a tile's output, there's definitely none on the wiki.

The old effects_doc/triggers_doc console commands don't seem to work any more so we can't see if there's any been added since about 1.6. Is there any chance we could get a list of current effects/triggers/modifiers/scopes? Even if it's undocumented names only, it'd be a huge help. The pop={} scope for tiles, for example, isn't on the wiki or even used in any of the scripts but works.
So how the hell was I doing it? This is going to bug me for the next 27 hours.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

Well that doesn't sound very fun. In what context does having a better claim matter?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PittTheElder posted:

Well that doesn't sound very fun. In what context does having a better claim matter?

It seems like it works on Hearts of Iron rules. So basically, when the war ends everybody involved on the winning side picks what they want to have, and that seems to have influence costs for each thing you want (that are probably modified based on a variety of factors, like "I said I wanted this at the start" or "this is right next to my borders"). If you really want a thing you claim it multiple times (and pay multiple times) to beat someone else who only wants it a little bit and claims it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thanks to all the advice my latest restart has gone much better. I've taken good care of my navy, vanquished pirates, fled from marauding aliens and even rescued some weird cloud xenos from their dying world.

This must mean a black hole is about to open in my home system... :ohdear:

• Locked thread