Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Who What Now posted:

It would have been better just being a visual novel about growing up with depression, because, subjective or not, I honestly don't know how things like this are supposed to be scary.

bad example. That pic's not supposed to be scary on it's own. It's that you (have a random chance to!) see it for like half a second, probably out of the corner of your eye, as you focus on another mechanic that has become mundane. You go wait, what was that? Did I imagine that or was something there? The image itself is not scary, but it contributes to the atmosphere, the sense of wrongness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mazerunner posted:

bad example. That pic's not supposed to be scary on it's own. It's that you (have a random chance to!) see it for like half a second, probably out of the corner of your eye, as you focus on another mechanic that has become mundane. You go wait, what was that? Did I imagine that or was something there? The image itself is not scary, but it contributes to the atmosphere, the sense of wrongness.

I'm pretty sure that shows up once in the game, at about the time that the gameplay it's associated with has just about worn out it's welcome. So you're probably not even paying attention to it when it jumps you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm gonna play DDLC this weekend just so I can read this thread again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ImpAtom posted:

Wild Arms 2 is actually a pretty difficult translation. The script has a lot of nonsense jargon and weird wordplay and the game itself isn't really popular enough to get a dedicated effort. Keep in mind that even Final Fantasy 7 probably the most popular JRPG of all time and one which has a pretty poo poo translation, has all of 1 retranslation which is a low-effort one, and FF7 is a way way way easier translation job than WA2.

By jargon do you mean things like FF13's L'Cie/Fal'Cie/Cie'th thing?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Inzombiac posted:

I'm gonna play DDLC this weekend just so I can read this thread again.

if you read all the spoilers in this thread about DDLC, youll find that the entire plot of the game has basically already been spoiled

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

By jargon do you mean things like FF13's L'Cie/Fal'Cie/Cie'th thing?

I mean that it has a ton of technobabble and metaphysics stuff. FF13 is in comparison a way way easier translation as it just has those three terms which are just basically proper names. Wild Arms 2 involves battling an encroaching parallel universe via nonsense technobabble.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Right. Nazis dead. Nazi robots dead. Broke all your poo poo. Helicopters secured.

He just sounds so tired and proud.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Right. Nazis dead. Nazi robots dead. Broke all your poo poo. Helicopters secured.

Wolfenstein is, without a doubt, a proof that you can write an interesting, fun, lovable and engaging protagonist for your video game, even if they happen to be a short-haired scowly straight white male dad.

It just takes a hell of a lot of voice acting, and a metric shitton of care during the writing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Somfin posted:

Wolfenstein is, without a doubt, a proof that you can write an interesting, fun, lovable and engaging protagonist for your video game, even if they happen to be a short-haired scowly straight white male dad.

It just takes a hell of a lot of voice acting, and a metric shitton of care during the writing.

BJ is the most :911: shooter protagonist I think I've ever played.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Wolfenstein had so much heart and effort put into its writing that I didn't expect at all. I bought The New Order because Wolfenstein hasn't yet disappointed me in the shooting nazis department, and then I recommended it to every one of my friends because despite being a game where you were dual wielding assault rifles with underslung rocket launchers (:black101:) it was also written well enough that I actually found myself watching cutscenes instead of just mashing start to get back to the shooting.

This here is my favorite objective I've ever gotten in a game, not gonna lie.

E: forgot to mention my favorite one liner BJ gives "Okay... Okay... You put a Nazi on the moon"

Beat

"gently caress you, moon"

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Nov 8, 2017

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I love that it's entirely possible to get a full game of Persona 5 without a guide, maxing every social link and doing every mementos request. I didn't quite - I literally got rank 9 on my last social link on the last day I had control, and had I think two mementos requests still laying around that I had to investigate - but I love that I -could- have. It's a huge step up from Persona 3 literally requiring a guide and some healthy dice rolls. Also this game is fantastic, and this is a pretty amazing final dungeon. Grinding up money from the encounters in here to make Alice to have some new friends Die for Me!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Is that font for real?! :barf:

Wild Arms 1 and 2 are the main reason I have an instinctive loathing for "fancy" fonts in game. Just gimme a clean sans-serif font goddamn it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

If it's a mystery or puzzle game? Keep them tasteful serifs in

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh and they were even harder to read on lovely old SD TVs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blind Sally posted:

if you read all the spoilers in this thread about DDLC, youll find that the entire plot of the game has basically already been spoiled

I haven't read any but the thread became a minefield especially for mobile.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The devs for Horizon: Zero Dawn really took all the complaints about the stuff dialogue animations to heart - The Frozen Wilds animates each conversation uniquely, injecting just a poo poo ton of character into every NPC. Even the first guy who gave me the quest to check out the DLC, some spoiled noble, was so well done that I thought he was going to be an important, recurring character.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it depends on whether you get invested into the characters, which you shouldn't, because they're broad archetypes instead of real people.

I disagree here. The characters are broad archtypes and the game actively calls that out Monika says they're just automatons who exist in game code, and she's aware of that fact. So the writer knew this. Granted you're probably only gonna be affected by Sayaki if you have personal encounters with depression, because the writing is so on point it's startling in what was otherwise an upbeat anime game.

Ultimately I feel the goal is to feel that sense of discomfort at having someone obsess over you and destroy other people to get to you, which is what VN protagonists frequently do in a less over the top fashion. You're now a 2 dimensional target of someone's obsession and its disconcerting when they're absolutely psychotic. It requires you to buy into the concept tho.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Mario Odyssey has a town populated by Seal people. This is the best mario game.
Also everything in New Donk City is amazing (except jump rope).
My favorite moon involves a time race where you have to shove, or hop over a bustling city crowd to reach it in time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

scarycave posted:

Mario Odyssey has a town populated by Seal people. This is the best mario game.
Also everything in New Donk City is amazing (except jump rope).
My favorite moon involves a time race where you have to shove, or hop over a bustling city crowd to reach it in time.

There are some quite clever moons in the game, and I feel like New Donk City has the best ones and is probably the best level flat out.

The Jump Rope and its cousin the Beach Volleyball however are why Ill never 100% the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

There are some quite clever moons in the game, and I feel like New Donk City has the best ones and is probably the best level flat out.

The Jump Rope and its cousin the Beach Volleyball however are why Ill never 100% the game.

Volleyball's not quite as hard as you may think; Stand in the center of the area and just flick Cappy at the ball.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Volleyball's not quite as hard as you may think; Stand in the center of the area and just flick Cappy at the ball.

Thanks, but motion controls arent happening. I cant get cappy to reliably do a drat thing since i only play in portable mode which belongs very much so in the other thread.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This is a great clip, but it’s missing the part right before where a Nazi opens up the trunk you’re hiding in, shouts for his friends to raise the alarm, and his head explodes. Then this old jewish grandpa, who up until this point hasn’t done anything more violent than cutting into his dinner, walks in from stage left with a smoking double barrelled shotgun.

It’s an awesome character moment, and also a good bellwether for the value placed on Nazi life in the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
New Donk is the crown jewel of the game and will probably be the setpiece added in future Mario Kart and Smash Bro games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, New Donk is just a genuinely fantastic level, easily one of the best 3D Mario levels ever. It's a delight to explore and rewards you for using advanced mechanics while feeling busy and packed with things to do.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Len posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6BaujmeF_4

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm glad I did the jump rope 100 jump challenge on my first try because I'd probably be with y'all in hating it if I had to do it more than once.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Since Super Mario has gone from collecting 120 stars to collecting 800+ moons there must be a poo poo-ton of filler. Reminds me of how The Witness boasted it wouldn't waste your time, and then it had a puzzle where you had to wait an hour. One guy speed-runned the game and during this part he completed a game of Super Mario Bros (SNES).

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since Super Mario has gone from collecting 120 stars to collecting 800+ moons there must be a poo poo-ton of filler. Reminds me of how The Witness boasted it wouldn't waste your time, and then it had a puzzle where you had to wait an hour. One guy speed-runned the game and during this part he completed a game of Super Mario Bros (SNES).

The way the game works is - that you have to collect certain Moons to progress the game which are the games "true stars", and then everything else is optional or needed to power your ship and they're either just at the end of some mario sunshine esque dimension, needing you to do some kind of sidequest, or just literally lying right in front of you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the most part moons are rewards for little 30 second to minute long snippets of gameplay with unique focus on mechanics in defined platforming spaces in addition to moons which are story or light exploration. Very few feel like true filler without any gameplay element (buy this moon being a glaring exception) which is why the hundred jumps and hundred beachball returns stand out so much.

I honest to goodness like the rest of the game so much I would buy my first amiibo even if all it did was complete those specific moons for me.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Playing Destiny 2 and after the intro you lose your powers and are cooked. Right after this happens they give you a ledge you can’t jump onto without your double jump, so you have to walk over to an outcrop and use that to get the necessary height. Pretty slick.

Also when you are doing the whole walking around powerless thing they give you the sickest track to listen to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

For the most part moons are rewards for little 30 second to minute long snippets of gameplay with unique focus on mechanics in defined platforming spaces in addition to moons which are story or light exploration. Very few feel like true filler without any gameplay element (buy this moon being a glaring exception) which is why the hundred jumps and hundred beachball returns stand out so much.

I honest to goodness like the rest of the game so much I would buy my first amiibo even if all it did was complete those specific moons for me.

You only have to buy a single Moon in the Crazy Cap store of each world, and it's really just to show that you can buy them to pad out your count.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You only have to buy a single Moon in the Crazy Cap store of each world, and it's really just to show that you can buy them to pad out your count.

You do need to buy them to hit 999 and get the last bit of content in the game though. That is entirely for show though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Think of the bought moons as being like the collect 100 coins stars of Mario 64 except you don't have to do it all in one level or even in one session.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Thats, like, the definition of filler content which is my point.

Yeah once I encountered the jump rope I stopped collecting moons I didnt need to progress because Ill never get 999 so off to youtube instead.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If I’m paying 500 AUD to play Mario you better believe I’m clocking it

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
DDLC is bad because if it wasn’t anime, no one would care. Anime nerds love anything they can point to for saying, “see, anime is deep”

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This is the worst post I've ever seen.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

jon joe posted:

DDLC is bad because if it wasn’t anime, no one would care. Anime nerds love anything they can point to for saying, “see, anime is deep”

Yeah that's my favorite little thing in games too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

jon joe posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is the worst post I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Don Gato posted:

E: forgot to mention my favorite one liner BJ gives "Okay... Okay... You put a Nazi on the moon"

Beat

"gently caress you, moon"
I literally just saw that bit and came here to post it and decided to at least read the current page and I can't believe I've been beaten to it so recently!

This is the best game I've played in years. I've never seen a silly shooter (as in, no care for realism, dual wield shotguns and eat dog food for health) be so goddamn profound.

His "gently caress you moon" is just delivered so perfectly.