Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Hello mouse thread,

My middle mouse button is crapping out on an MMO mouse my brother bought me please don't hurt me, and I'm considering upgrading.

If there's one thing I wanted to love about that mouse, it was all the buttons, but none were bindable to their own unique keys (e.g. MB4/5), just keyboard binds, which made it difficult to use a universal combination that worked for binds in games.

For upgrades, I am concerned about DPI and want at least five buttons with a good software suite for customization. I'm looking for a low-key (read: not garish) look+feel and like a bit of weight behind my mice. So far, this has led me to the SteelSeries Rival 500 line. Any thoughts on this model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

f#a# posted:

Hello mouse thread,

My middle mouse button is crapping out on an MMO mouse my brother bought me please don't hurt me, and I'm considering upgrading.

If there's one thing I wanted to love about that mouse, it was all the buttons, but none were bindable to their own unique keys (e.g. MB4/5), just keyboard binds, which made it difficult to use a universal combination that worked for binds in games.

For upgrades, I am concerned about DPI and want at least five buttons with a good software suite for customization. I'm looking for a low-key (read: not garish) look+feel and like a bit of weight behind my mice. So far, this has led me to the SteelSeries Rival 500 line. Any thoughts on this model?

the G600 will certainly deliver on those, particularly for "a bit of weight"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I want a new mouse.

I have a g700s right now and it's starting to double click, which is one of the only three complaints I have with it (#2: battery life is bad, and #3: it's still logitech reciever and not bluetooth)
It has lots of good buttons in good places.

anything even worth considering? Must be wireless and work with mac. Any price range.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So my G902 got stolen. I'm using a G502 that's a bit long in the tooth now, but I kinda want something wireless for travelling place to place. Since I'm hesitant to get a G902 again, is the MX Anywhere 2 a good alternative?

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010
I use a WMO mouse most of the times which i bought for 10 bucks from ebay. No need to spent that amount of money

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

What is the cool new wireless Logitech mouse that the cool kids are using these days? I forgot the number.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
G703 for the powerplay version of the G403.
G903 for the powerplay version of the G900.

Powerplay is the charging through mousepad feature they introduced earlier this year.

FYI Best buy has their BF sales going early. Good deals on mice, including G403, G703 white version, G900, and a G203 for $20.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/computer-acc-logitech-g-series-savings

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Sweet thanks, I can get a 900 for less than I thought!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

This isn't specifically mouse related, but it crossed my feed and if true, is enough to push me away from Logitech products foooorever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/7bg8gi/logitech_is_killing_all_logitech_harmony_link/

Apparently they fire-saled their inventory of harmony remotes and are now bricking it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Did logitech get purchased recently? It seems like lately I've been hearing about bad customer service, which used to be one of their huge positives. And now this, which sounds pretty nasty if the reddit narrative is right.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deviant posted:

This isn't specifically mouse related, but it crossed my feed and if true, is enough to push me away from Logitech products foooorever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/7bg8gi/logitech_is_killing_all_logitech_harmony_link/

Apparently they fire-saled their inventory of harmony remotes and are now bricking it?

Harmony was always loving garbage. Noble misguided garbage.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's not Harmony Remotes, it's the Harmony Link, which is a controller hub that works by an app on your phone or tablet. Its replacement is the Harmony Hub, which largely does the same thing.

Regular-rear end Harmony Remotes still do the same job they've been doing for 15-ish years. But I bet Logi wants to kill them too... they're just not the same product as what they're killing in that article.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Audax posted:

G703 for the powerplay version of the G403.
G903 for the powerplay version of the G900.

Powerplay is the charging through mousepad feature they introduced earlier this year.

FYI Best buy has their BF sales going early. Good deals on mice, including G403, G703 white version, G900, and a G203 for $20.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/computer-acc-logitech-g-series-savings

Hrm. Good eye. I think I'll grab a couple to try out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wasabi the J posted:

Harmony was always loving garbage. Noble misguided garbage.

Yet somehow still a million times better than the competition. They have some definite design flaws and their mandatory wizard-based configuration is annoying when you just want to change one little thing that's eleven menus deep, but I have yet to find another remote with the concept of activities which allowed the user to program it themselves. Everything else that even comes close to the functionality of a Harmony is "contact your local professional installer" and gently caress everything about that. It's a remote control, not some super-precise machine. I can configure it myself.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got a G502. It was a toss up between that and the 602. Hopefully I made the right call on this one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It was the wrong call, you will now forever not be able to use a mouse that DOESN'T have the infiniscrolling wheel. =P

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

As much as I love the freewheel mouse wheel I just know I’m going to fiddle with it all the time and break it. It’s like a fidget spinner.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

skooma512 posted:

As much as I love the freewheel mouse wheel I just know I’m going to fiddle with it all the time and break it. It’s like a fidget spinner.

The best part about the freescroll wheel is that it is actually harder to break if it's in free spin mode. There's no ratchet, so you're just spinning a ball bearing, and from how it feels a pretty decent one.

Everything else about it is also the best part.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

f#a# posted:

Hello mouse thread,

ahahaahah, I literally suggested this mouse a couple of pages back, I have been using mine for years, but I am glad to get someone who found a problem with it. (but sad for you that the problem exists.)
personally I'd just get another perdition and strip the one you have atm and clean it, might make the wheel work, might not, but either way, you then have a donor if anything else goes wrong.
oh, and sorry, for universal bindings, try shift, ctrl, win or alt +number key. under combo keys.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 10, 2017

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It was the wrong call, you will now forever not be able to use a mouse that DOESN'T have the infiniscrolling wheel. =P

honestly, i much prefer microsoft's touch explorer mouse, which uses a touch strip as the mousewheel and lets you quick swipe to freewheel scroll BUT you still get tactile feedback of the scrolling through haptics

freewheeling without feedback just feels gross

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dear Goons,

I am still using a Logitech MX518. This thing has lasted me years and is a really good mouse and I've killed a lot of people in FPS games with it. However, it is starting to break. I'll probably cremate it and keep the ashes.

Would the G502 Proteus be it's spiritual successor? It's ugly as sin, tbh.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Dear Goons,

I am still using a Logitech MX518. This thing has lasted me years and is a really good mouse and I've killed a lot of people in FPS games with it. However, it is starting to break. I'll probably cremate it and keep the ashes.

I wasn't into the looks of any of the new Logitech mice either so I went looking elsewhere.. I was/am a long time MX518 user (still use a knockoff one I got from ebay at work), and I now use a Roccat Kone Pure at home which is close to the same shape but a little smaller. It was naturally comfortable to me like the MX518 was, and the side buttons are easier to use. Haven't tried it but there is a Kone XTD too which is a slightly bigger version of the Kone Pure which might be closer to true MX518 feel?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dear Goons,

The 502 is a bit bigger and heavier than an MX518 but it's a solid mouse. I don't think what a mouse looks like matters as long as it's comfortable to hold.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dear Goons,

When my MX518/G400/G400s finally started biting it again, they sent me an G502. It's heavy as a brick and looks like somebody beat it in the face with one, too.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 12, 2017

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Varg posted:

I wasn't into the looks of any of the new Logitech mice either so I went looking elsewhere.. I was/am a long time MX518 user (still use a knockoff one I got from ebay at work), and I now use a Roccat Kone Pure at home which is close to the same shape but a little smaller. It was naturally comfortable to me like the MX518 was, and the side buttons are easier to use. Haven't tried it but there is a Kone XTD too which is a slightly bigger version of the Kone Pure which might be closer to true MX518 feel?

I have well over two dozen mice and I think you hit the nail on the head on the ones that have a similar style. One I would throw out there is to see if you can grab a deal on the Mionix Castor. I'm also a big fan of the G403/G703 - these are some very smooth mice.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Dear Goons,

I wish they would just keep making the G400. Stop with the tryhard 1337 pro gamer yee yee rear end aggressive styling and leds. I like the subdued style of the G400.

Somebody gave all the doctors in radiology at work 518s back in the day and they still have them . If I could find a forgotten spare I’d steal the gently caress out of it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I am just checking in to say the Corsair Glaive RGB is very good.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Dear Goons,

I'm in the same boat! I've heard good things about the G403. Its design looks similar enough to the MX518 (and a far cry from the wannabe stealth fighter G502) for my tastes but with more modern internals. Available in both wired and wireless variants.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you to everybody who replied to me, I appreciate the suggestions. Will be looking at all of them soon and deciding which to go for. Buying mice is serious business.

RE the 502 being very heavy doesn't endear it to me as the MX518 is fairly easy to move around the mousepad and I don't want to feel like I'm pushing it particularly hard. Was the weight a significant factor you had to adjust to, or did you kind of just get used to it straight away?

I like the size of the MX518 and I find smaller mice a bit difficult to use as I like to rest my palm on the mouse -- no mlg420 claw grip here.

If the Kone XTD is more similar to the size of the MX518 that definitely does suit me.

The G403 does indeed look very similar to the MX518; will have to see if they carry it locally.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thank you to everybody who replied to me, I appreciate the suggestions. Will be looking at all of them soon and deciding which to go for. Buying mice is serious business.

RE the 502 being very heavy doesn't endear it to me as the MX518 is fairly easy to move around the mousepad and I don't want to feel like I'm pushing it particularly hard. Was the weight a significant factor you had to adjust to, or did you kind of just get used to it straight away?

I like the size of the MX518 and I find smaller mice a bit difficult to use as I like to rest my palm on the mouse -- no mlg420 claw grip here.

If the Kone XTD is more similar to the size of the MX518 that definitely does suit me.

The G403 does indeed look very similar to the MX518; will have to see if they carry it locally.

The G502 is definitely heavier than the MX518 or G400 or G400S, all of which I've owned. It's pretty easy to get used to. It helps if you have a nice cloth pad - I use the Corsair MM300 because it was basically free with my roommate's Best Buy employee discount.

The side buttons are placed higher and further back than on the 500 body mice, so that might take some getting used to, but you do get a third button at least (I found mine to F13). Despite the shape looking pretty drastically different, it's very similar to the 500/518/400/400S in the hand.

There might be other, better options. I'm just sharing my experience with the 502.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As long time MX518 owner I literally went on Ebay and bought another one that's was still brand new. It's not just the look of newer mice but that don't feel solid in my hand.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Neither do I endorse nor condemn buying what purport to be new MX518s on Ebay, but if you do so, caveat emptor, because there are ebay listings for MX518s whose Right-Click-Of-Doom which have been repaired, then sold as new:

I did a teardown with photos here:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&pagenumber=185&perpage=40#post461266582

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
also, speaking of mouse breakdowns:

Say hello to the twins. And the mice they shall be judged against. (I don't know where my Roccat Kone or Savu are, or I'd have gotten them in the shot, too.)

One of these days, though, I gotta get a Zowie ZA13 and/or EC2 in the house, because if I wasn't using either the Kone or the G502 or the resurrected MX518 on a daily basis, it would probably be that one. I mean it when I said that I can't use any mice that don't have the freescrolling wheel anymore, but I will endeavour to put that part of me aside, and not count it against the mouse when I reach for a nonexistent clutch button and it doesn't disengage.

Also no, I am probably *not* going to rip these mice apart to get at their guts. We'll see if I wind up keeping one, both, or none.

duckfarts posted:

honestly, i much prefer microsoft's touch explorer mouse, which uses a touch strip as the mousewheel and lets you quick swipe to freewheel scroll BUT you still get tactile feedback of the scrolling through haptics

freewheeling without feedback just feels gross

I dunno, I use freewheeling as an alternative to pgup/pgdown. I disengage the clutch and let it spin to scroll up/down through things rapidly, and then stop by touching my finger to the wheel or clicking the clutch back on. I don't *care* about feedback, because the feedback that I'm using is the sound of the wheel spinning so I can tell if it's slowing down and needs another flick or not, or my eyes, because I've hit the bottom of the page.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 12, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

lol I have all the same unboxed mice

I upgraded from MX518 to G502 and don't regret it one bit. The mouse looks a bit silly but you soon grow to like it and the ergonomics are much better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Say hello to the twins. And the mice they shall be judged against. (I don't know where my Roccat Kone or Savu are, or I'd have gotten them in the shot, too.)

One of these days, though, I gotta get a Zowie ZA13 and/or EC2 in the house, because if I wasn't using either the Kone or the G502 or the resurrected MX518 on a daily basis, it would probably be that one. I mean it when I said that I can't use any mice that don't have the freescrolling wheel anymore, but I will endeavour to put that part of me aside, and not count it against the mouse when I reach for a nonexistent clutch button and it doesn't disengage.

Also no, I am probably *not* going to rip these mice apart to get at their guts. We'll see if I wind up keeping one, both, or none.

I dunno, I use freewheeling as an alternative to pgup/pgdown. I disengage the clutch and let it spin to scroll up/down through things rapidly, and then stop by touching my finger to the wheel or clicking the clutch back on. I don't *care* about feedback, because the feedback that I'm using is the sound of the wheel spinning so I can tell if it's slowing down and needs another flick or not, or my eyes, because I've hit the bottom of the page.

Oh goody, I look forward to reading your review. Pity you don't have a G903 as well to play with...

My G602 has been having click issues for a while now that are getting worse, so It's time I think. I'm probably going to get the 703 or 603. I've soured on the shape of the 602 over the years; and those side buttons were always too stiff and small to use in games.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder why they didn't just make the G60X their MMO lots of butan line.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I got my G502 in the mail today.

It feels lower profile than the G400 it's replacing. I put a couple of the weights in for the hell of it but I can't really see it hurting or helping me as I suck at FPS and 30 years old is getting closer everyday. I haven't decided what I want to do with the extra buttons since volume up/down and mute is taken of and I don't want to change my DPI. I'm loving the infinity scroll/fidget spinner. It smells like garlic now because I was cooking. It looks much better in person since I'm not looking at it from an angle that's emphasizing the aggressive styling.

I think it's a good upgrade.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Bought a G502 with a G440 hard mat and its a really great mouse/pad combo but the sharp edges of the mat have started chewing right through the braided cable. Worse still, further down the cable I've ended up with this bullshit;

(not my pic but same make/model)

Had to snip the braiding the straighten out the kink (probably voiding the warranty, doh.) I've patched it up with duct tape for now but eventually I'm just going to be stuck with the laborious task of just completely un-braiding it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah, I'm hoping for a G600 refresh or a new model at some point. I don't care for Razer and I've had enough trouble with Corsair's software on my keyboard that I'd rather not expand the list peripherals that depend on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Jose Mengelez posted:

Bought a G502 with a G440 hard mat and its a really great mouse/pad combo but the sharp edges of the mat have started chewing right through the braided cable. Worse still, further down the cable I've ended up with this bullshit;

(not my pic but same make/model)

Had to snip the braiding the straighten out the kink (probably voiding the warranty, doh.) I've patched it up with duct tape for now but eventually I'm just going to be stuck with the laborious task of just completely un-braiding it.

What the gently caress is the point of braiding? Why is this poo poo on every USB cable now?