Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Price Check posted:

Kawato is super over already and ready to make the next step. I knew he had to be taking the pin yet I still bit on the near falls.

Kawato's anguish when he thought he had the 3 count only for the kickout to happen was so well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Price Check posted:

HM - KUSHIDA and Hirai Kawato vs. Roppongi 3k - 10/23
HM - Dragon Lee and Titan vs. L.I.J (Hiromu and BUSHI) - 10/23

I liked both of these matches a lot. Kawato is super over already and ready to make the next step. I knew he had to be taking the pin yet I still bit on the near falls. Dragon Lee/Hiromu never gets old. I love that NJPW has kept the continuity of those two just killing each other whenever they get the chance.

Seconded.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: TAKA & Taichi vs SUPER 69

And I guess I'll throw the tag matches from last week a 3rd.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Baron Corbyn posted:

And I guess I'll throw the tag matches from last week a 3rd.

Seconded.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Price Check posted:

HM - KUSHIDA and Hirai Kawato vs. Roppongi 3k - 10/23
HM - Dragon Lee and Titan vs. L.I.J (Hiromu and BUSHI) - 10/23

I liked both of these matches a lot. Kawato is super over already and ready to make the next step. I knew he had to be taking the pin yet I still bit on the near falls. Dragon Lee/Hiromu never gets old. I love that NJPW has kept the continuity of those two just killing each other whenever they get the chance.

Baron Corbyn posted:

nth

also

HM - Roppongi 3k vs. L.I.J. (Hiromu and BUSHI) - 10/30
HM - SUPER 69 vs. Suzuki-gun (Kanemaru and El Desperado) - 10/30

this Jr. tag team tournament has been really fun

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HM: Kota Ibushi vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW Power Struggle

Probably an outside shot at MOTYC in another year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yeah I'll second that as an HM - excellent final few minutes really brought it up.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

All those heavy slaps to the head that Big Dave claims not to like and then gives a million stars to (I kinda feel the same)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

third and

HM: Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll.

I might have gone MOTYC for the main event and might still on a second watch but it was really hard to get into the early stages after that loving reveal.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

HM: Tanahashi vs Ibushi - NJPW Power Struggle
HM: Ospreay vs Scurll - NJPW Power Struggle

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Gate of Destiny 2017 on 11/3

HM: Eita vs Ricochet
HM: Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Verserk (Shingo Takagi, Takashi Yoshida, El Lindamam) vs MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Kotoka) vs Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, BxB Hulk, Kzy)
MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - CK-1 (CIMA & Dragon Kid) vs Big Ben (Big R Shimizu & Ben-K)
MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Masaaki Mochizuki vs Susumu Yokosuka

What a loving outstanding show.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Joe Coffey vs. Matt Riddle, Discovery Wrestling Uncivil War, 5/11

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WMOTYC: Abyss vs. Grado, Impact Bound for Glory 11/5

I'm sure there will be more to come from this show

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
WMOTY: Grado vs. Abyss, TNA Bound for Glory 2017

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

EugeneJ posted:

WMOTY: Grado vs. Abyss, TNA Bound for Glory 2017

Nth. So bad.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Benne posted:

WMOTYC: Abyss vs. Grado, Impact Bound for Glory 11/5

I'm sure there will be more to come from this show

They had to replace the BFG Gauntlet with something. But yes, nth because holy poo poo that is up there with the worst hardcore matches that I've ever seen

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

WMOTYC: Team TNA vs TNA AAA, TNA Bound for Glory 2017

What an awfully worked match. It would have been even worse if not for Phantasma & Storm

Julio Cruz posted:

I thought Abyss v Grado would easily be the worst match on this card

I was wrong

wmotyc: bonnar & Moose vs Lashley & King Mo, TNA Bound for Glory 2017

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 6, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WMOTYC: King Mo & Lashley vs. Moose and Stephen Bonnar

There's bad worked MMA, and then there's worked MMA that makes you feel embarrassed for everyone involved.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Tanahashi vs Ibushi Power Struggle
HM: Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll Power Struggle

Good show that set up the dome also that reveal

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Testekill posted:

What an awfully worked match. It would have been even worse if not for Phantasma & Storm

hey yeah nth to both of those

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Testekill posted:

Agreed to both of these

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think the Abyss vs Grado Monster's Ball match on the same card would get my nomination for WMOTY over either of those. It was abysmal, overbooked, and they screwed up the finish.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
MOTYC: Kento Miyahara vs. Suwama, AJPW Raising an Army Series 09/10/17

HM: Joe Doering vs. Shuji Ishikawa, AJPW Raising an Army Series 09/10/17

Both were great but Kento is a special wrestler. If you've never watched AJPW I'd recommend watching this match. And also his matches with Ishikawa. And the one with Jake Lee from Champion Carnival.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Jinder Mahal (C) vs AJ Styles for the WWE Championship at Smackdown, 11/7

Probably the best Jinder Mahal match I've ever seen - whether that's because he upped his game all of a sudden or because AJ Styles carried the entire match and made him look great, the end result was a shockingly good match with a hot crowd and an excellent ending.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Jerusalem posted:

Probably the best Jinder Mahal match I've ever seen - whether that's because he upped his game all of a sudden or because AJ Styles carried the entire match and made him look great, the end result was a shockingly good match with a hot crowd and an excellent ending.

Going to vote no on this. Jinder still looked like garbage in the ring imo. AJ did all the lifting and I still wouldn't give this match more than 3 stars.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Jerusalem posted:

second

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

Going to vote no on this. Jinder still looked like garbage in the ring imo. AJ did all the lifting and I still wouldn't give this match more than 3 stars.

Seconding this feeling. Pretty much everything Jinder did in that match looked like poo poo.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
AJ vs Jinder might not be in the top 250 matches this year

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jerusalem posted:

third

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

MOTYC: Ospreay vs Sabre Jr, RevPro Global Wars night 2:

absolutely perfect match. watch when you can

WM: Ishii/ Mastiff at same, just incredibly dull.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mkay0 posted:

AJ vs Jinder might not be in the top 250 matches this year

To be fair, it's been a loving incredible year for wrestling. Tanahashi vs Ibushi would have been in the reckoning for MOTY most other years.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Ishii/Keith Lee Global Wars Night One

I want Keith Lee is NJPW like yesterday.

And I haven't watched Night Two yet, is Ishii/Mastiff really that bad?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC: Ishii/Keith Lee Global Wars Night One

I want Keith Lee is NJPW like yesterday.

And I haven't watched Night Two yet, is Ishii/Mastiff really that bad?

That says a ton about Mastiff if he can't have a good match with Tomo-fuckin-hiro Ishii.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ishii might be the only other wrestler with an argument for Most Outstanding this year.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
HM: Tanahashi vs. Ibushi, Power Struggle

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Ishii might be the only other wrestler with an argument for Most Outstanding this year.

His year this year would win him wrestler of year almost any other year in the last 10 but he doesn't stand a chance this year cause Okada just went Nah, gonna have an all time year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Okada just went Nah, gonna have an all time year.

Kenny: Me too.
Okada: Doesn't matter :smug:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

His year this year would win him wrestler of year almost any other year in the last 10 but he doesn't stand a chance this year cause Okada just went Nah, gonna have an all time year.

If you look at the array of Ishii's top level singles matches in 2017 he has put out maybe double the level of Okada, but Okada's peaks have been higher, obviously. Obviously he won't win, and probably shouldn't but I don't think he'll even be in the top 3 which is a shame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Ishii, Naito, Styles, Tanahashi and Omega would all be far and above the top choice any other year, and this year you can make a decent argument for any of them being #2-6 in any order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Ishii, Naito, Styles, Tanahashi and Omega would all be far and above the top choice any other year, and this year you can make a decent argument for any of them being #2-6 in any order.

Would Styles even be a contender in a normal year? A good third of his year was consumed by the feud with Owens which wasn't very good and then his last few months were forgettable until he had the best match of Jinder's career (which is a feat.)

• Locked thread