Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Dude got a job working on Outrun? I'm impressed, that couldn't have been easy.

:wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Coruscant

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Batgirl preferring to play South Park rather than SC is one of the funniest things I have heard in a while

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/188522103
@ 03:00

Batgirl:
Maybe we could start a new show. We could do a show with the RECEPTIONIST at CIG. Call it... Call it... Conversation From The Water Cooler At CIG. Hey, the grapevine is 70% accurate."

Twitch Viewer:
Have you thought about a show were you interview backers and how they feel about certain things?

Batgirl:
Yeah actually I have thought of that. But that would have to be specific backers and... or MANY backers, like having them come into this chat channel...

Twitch Viewer:
Yeah that's what I mean, have a group come in and you just have like a round table discussion.

Batgirl:
(whilst docking at Lubbock Ring in Elite Dangerous) I think that's what happens on our Friday night Twitch stream, only we get drunk when we do it.

@05:00
Batgirl:
I'm longing to play some Star Citizen, I just don't know if we're ever going to get the game at this point.

(long pause)

Twitch Viewer:
Oh... quit being down it's just a bump in the road

Batgirl:
But they bumped MY road! Not somebody else's, MINE.

Twitch Viewer:
But didn't they bump everybody's road?

Batgirl:
But nobody else was doing BENSDAY, I was

Twitch Viewer:
Well it's personal that way. When they do it to YOU it becomes personal to YOU.

Twitch Viewer 2:
I thought it was more of an organisational announcement

Batgirl:
Well no, they said 'no more recurring shows', there's only one person that does a recurring show, that's Ben.

Twitch Viewer 2:
I'm sure it's the WHINERS

Batgirl:
What whiners?

Twitch Viewer 2:
The ones that complain about, not having you interview... or complain that everything's not (audio cuts) cos they're too lazy (audio cuts) to look in places besides the website

Batgirl:
But... aw whatever. I know people whine about it but the people that matter don't.

Twitch Viewer 2:
If that's all they're seeing on Spectrum cos most people don't bother with it like me, I didn't even know there was stuff going on again on the forums...

Batgirl:
There's stuff going on on the forums?

Twitch Viewer 2:
Apparently there's stuff I've missed, I've gone, 'ah, I'm not even gonna dive into that'

Batgirl:
Joe consistently plays forum commander all the time, so if you ever want to know what's going on on the forums, talk to him

Evidently in a fit of rage, I rage-purchased Destiny 2

Twitch Viewer 2:
What were you so angry about that made you purchase that? We're here to talk, it's THERAPY

Twitch Viewer 1:
(laughs his rear end off)

Batgirl:
I need a hell of a lot of therapy at this point. Nah, I have a son that's probably gonna play it, that's what happened

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yes, that's a better post. :five:

peter gabriel posted:

Batgirl preferring to play South Park rather than SC is one of the funniest things I have heard in a while

I wonder if she would play Destiny 2 with me lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lol I just caught up with a couple of friends I haven't spoken to in years, bad kickstarters came up in conversation and now one of them is pursuing the £300+ refund he didn't know he could ask for.

Whoops!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Friends, mine that video and drop me timestamps

Or don't

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Star Citizen is basically the church of Scientology and Derek is Leah Remini

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

vyst posted:

Star Citizen is basically the church of Scientology and Derek is Leah Remini

Batgirl is Leah Remini

e: didn't see that coming

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes, that's a better post. :five:

I saw my arcade guy the other night and he is sorting me another JAMMA cab out, I used to have one but my old house was too small really.
Now though I have space to burn, he can get me all original hardware - i used to have loads of games and the Neo Geo arcade board with 4 slots and poo poo, can't wait to get collecting again. I WILL have an Outrun machine!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I hope moma gets some time off from work so he can post again soon.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Chambers is smiling, but his eyes are like "SEND HELP"

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

beep_boop posted:

There are a bunch of people who know something about making video games here - can someone explain how the gently caress this happens? How does a player model get all spaghettified?

Is it because Star Citizen has physics so real that you actually go through spaghettification? They must have put a black hole near the space station, so its a feature, not a bug.

Judging how their guns keep getting magazines stuck on the barrel, I'd say the indices used to mark which joint is which is messed up and shifted around. To use a puppet analogy, the knee becomes the ankle, the ankle becomes the toes...

edit2: It could also be related to inverse kinematics, the thing you do to work out how to bend the knees so the feet make contact with the ground and such. If that messes up you can get spaghetti mans. Or also you can do maths on these puppets so you can blend between two final positions. With this, you can also do additive and subtraction stuff, which messing up, can make arms twice as long and stuff. Basically broken animation systems.

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 8, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

beep_boop posted:

There are a bunch of people who know something about making video games here - can someone explain how the gently caress this happens? How does a player model get all spaghettified?

Is it because Star Citizen has physics so real that you actually go through spaghettification? They must have put a black hole near the space station, so its a feature, not a bug.

Animation is, in a lot of ways, like controlling a marionette. You add "bones" to a 3d model and connect them with "joints." One bone has two "nodes" on it, one on each end. Connect two nodes and now you have a joint. Next, you create rules governing how the bones are allowed to move, and how the joints are allowed to rotate. Think of a human torso. The arms have limits to how they can rotate. The head can't rotate 360deg. If you bend at the waist, you shouldn't be able rotate your torso through your legs and back up around, etc. All this is done in the 3d modeling program (Maya for example), and it's called rigging. You're building your marionette and attaching the strings.

Important note for later: The bones are not rigidly "attached" to the 3d mesh. Bones "move" the mesh by pushing/pulling on the vertices in their proximity. Think of an arm. I create a bone that starts at the wrist and ends at the elbow. I connect a second bone to the elbow and run it to the shoulder. The bones just know what vertices are closest to them, and when the forearm bone moves, it says to the forearm vertices "hey fellas, come along this way." The vertices stretch and flow in mysterious ways to stay as close as possible to the bones without stretching and deforming the mesh too much. This process is automatic, you don't control the vertices at all. The word "deskeletonization" is now in the realm of the possible.

Animations are created kind of like stop-motion. Your model starts in a root pose (for humanoid models this is typically T-pose). You take a "snapshot" of the root pose (called setting "keyframe"). This "keyframe" saves the position and rotation of every node in 3d space (x, y, z) to a data set.

So if I want to make a walking animation, I would move the bones and joints to a slightly new position, maybe one arm swings forward, the other back, one foot/shin/femur moves up and forward, the other straight back, etc. Then I set another keyframe. Then I keep moving/rotating bones and setting keyframes until I've built up this data set that defines one walk cycle. Cool!

Next step is to import the 3d model and all the associated animation data and "hook it up" to the engine's animation system. Every engine "hooks up" differently, and there are no real standards. This is where things can get tricky.

Let's say I import a humanoid model and its animation data which includes walk, run, aim, jump, crouch, salute, and the ol' bird flip animation sets. The engine saves that model/anim data in its own internal data structure, so it has to modify what it got from Maya. Note: we have two copies of the animation data. Now the programmer writes code that basically triggers animations when they are appropriate. He then writes some additinal code that controls individual bones and joints directly because Crobberts wants the commando's legs to dynamically match the surface of what he's standing on. Looks fine, my dude walks like a champ, and when he's standing sideways on a hill, the higher leg is bent and even with the ground instead of clipping through the hill.

Things are getting a bit complicated.

Now lets say crobberts sees another game's character models, gets jelly, and decides his doesn't have enough fidelity. He strolls over to the artist's desk. Make his shoulders wider, his hips narrower, longer arms, and a bigger head. The 3d artist changes the model, and now the position and rotation of your keyframe data doesn't match the new 3d mesh. Well, your rigger/animator has to clean up the keyframe data (position/rotation) so the bones will match the mesh again. Citizencon is two weeks away so in a panic he writes a script to do it, and makes a mistake. He exports the data and sends it to the programmer, who re-imports the model and does some quick spot checks, because he needs to get back to fixing doors.

Well, maybe the animator failed to clean up one of the animation sets. He did running, aiming, jumping, crouching, prone, salute, flippin the bird... but he missed walking. So now everything looks fine until the player hits "w". The game code says "go get the data for the walking animation" and suddenly, the bones and joints snap to positions/rotations that don't match the 3d model. Remember, the mesh (in this case, the player's skin) will stretch and move in mysterious ways to stay close to the bones. Well, if the bones are too far off, the implicit logic that keeps those vertices close to their bones collapses and all types of horrible, fucky, unpredictable things can happen.

In a nutshell, the animation data is corrupted/incorrect, which causes severe deformation of the character mesh.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

Batgirl just confirmed by tweeting that btw that Ben is an employee, as in he's on the payroll.

A few folks might know the significance of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUS3ZpgMORg

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Erenthal posted:

Absolutely, he's brilliant in it. Very understated but sublimely played. The whole series is up on youtube, it's well worth a watch even today. Thing is when you watch it though is that for the modern viewer it does feel exruciatingly slow at first, because you are so used to modern TV with its jumpcuts and frantic pace. But once you get in the mood, it's top notch BBC goodness.

Yes, also the Smiley’s People sequel. My other recommendations for older BBC shows are:

Colditz (ww2 great escape type show)
Fall Of Eagles (great for history buffs, Patrick Stewart makes a great Lenin)
Riley, Ace Of Spies (another great history buff show, more James Bond-esque)
War And Peace (Anthony Hopkins as Pierre)
Traffik
State Of Play

Warhawk109 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 8, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Yes.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

Animation is, in a lot of ways, like controlling a marionette.

Yeah, gonna have to correct you here goonie, here is Sean Tracy to explain to you how it all really works.

Sean Tracy posted:

Ah... one of the BIG ONES is some TOOLS that we do within MAYA and our... our... MOTION BUILDER... ah... ahh... SETUP... there's a BIG ONE that we use with a company called RED NINE called SCENE MANAGER and uh... SCENE MANAGER and ASSET MANAGER is basically a way within MAYA to take all our PERFORMANCE CAPTURE in basically TWO CLICKS... and you're WITHIN MAYA, builds up all the CHARACTERS, they've got all their WEAPON ATTACHMENTS... TWO CLICKS and it's OUT TO ENGINE

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

Animation is, in a lot of ways, like making love to a beautiful woman.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Don't you mean this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4206969/Love-Pledge/

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

SomethingJones posted:

Yeah, gonna have to correct you here goonie, here is Sean Tracy to explain to you how it all really works.

lol, sounds legit Sean.

No the marionette example was just a gateway to explaining the relationship between keyframes, animation bones/joints, and the 3d mesh. Once you export the model from maya, doesn't matter if you made the anims via keyframe, IK paths, mo-cap, whatever. It's all the same data format.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a little annoyed they seem to be named after the best pistol in Resident Evil 4. Might have to download RE4 for another playthrough soon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sunswipe posted:

I'm a little annoyed they seem to be named after the best pistol in Resident Evil 4. Might have to download RE4 for another playthrough soon.

Its German so they should've called themselves Red Nein

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't like SC any more and have no interest in it, I am here because I love you all and for no other reason tbh

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

I don't like SC any more and have no interest in it, I am here because I love you all and for no other reason tbh

:glomp:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

you're awesome and I enjoy you're posts. never leave

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Is Star Citizen Vaporware?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_eJJZxEXQ

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Warhawk109 posted:

Yes, also the Smiley’s People sequel. My other recommendations for older BBC shows are:

Colditz (ww2 great escape type show)
Fall Of Eagles (great for history buffs, Patrick Stewart makes a great Lenin)
Riley, Ace Of Spies (another great history buff show, more James Bond-esque)
War And Peace (Anthony Hopkins as Pierre)
Traffik
State Of Play

You forgot Hichhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

:love:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU

And you may find yourself
Living in a shotgun shack
In another part of the world
Behind the wheel of a large spaceship
And you may find yourself in a beautiful wankpod
With a beautiful sexdoll
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?

Letting the days go by, let the coding hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing under space
Into the black again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing under space

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large spaceship?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wankpod!
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful sexdoll!

Letting the days go by, let the coding hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing under space
Into the black again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing under space

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

etc etc

This was cool and good and deserved more love

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

This isn't real, right?

It's as real as you want it to be*

*no

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Thoatse posted:

This was cool and good and deserved more love

:same:

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

drat you for getting my hopes up! :argh:

peter gabriel posted:

Awww, that's one of the main reasons I hang out here too, SC truly does bring people together. :shobon:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad Batgirl is finding other vehicles to further her gaming/streaming/personality hobby.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

That's cool and all, but... you're gonna do a video if 3.0 gets released to the general plebs, right?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

The Titanic posted:

As an Egyptian slave building the pyramids at the time, I’d like to ensure everybody this story is true. In fact one day while we were hauling giant sand stone blocks that were about 1 cubit by 1 cubit, we had a sweaty conversation about just this thing.

“Hol, nigh sumpter delis, TheAgent!” I chortled happily as my bloody fingers curled around more sandstone cargo.

“Dey bous, The Titanic! Velis navgat fortho jepradihgmn!” He proclaimed, literally calling it at that time.

“Dans sept nar rona reshi!” I said, pointing to the sun for surely the gods had looked crossly upon him today! Surely lightning was about to strike him down!

“Io neg! Flesthi grotha bo rava!” TheAgent said triumphantly!

Why I never, and right there we all dropped out cargo sandstones and just dropped to our knees. Even today I still remember our chanting, “Blog! Blog! Blog! July! Blog! Blog! July!” All night long into the next day, until we were whipped and shown the inevitable result of such heresy as we were beaten most violently over the hard stones. But by Anubis it was called!

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sunswipe posted:

That's cool and all, but... you're gonna do a video if 3.0 gets released to the general plebs, right?

Sadly, given his new bionic skull and along with increased reasoning skills we might have to crowdfund him to actually play the "game".

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

This year we pledge to double down on non recurring communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

If I'm ever on your side of the pond, I want to buy you a drink and take turns playing Out Run with you.