Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don’t see how this show could literally be taking place in the mirror universe, or what it explains if it is. The mirror universe Starfleet doesn’t talk about how its mission is to explore strange new worlds and come in peace and we just have to fight dirty now to safeguard a shiny happy future, it talks about how if you don’t give me the dilithium our ships need we will loving unleash world wide genocide on you. Uniforms are skimpy, knife fighting is accepted means of conflict resolution, judicial torture is commonplace, assassination of superiors is not just normal but the expected path to rank. I get being disappointed with the moral attitudes of Disco crew since in my opinion they range from namby-pamby to incoherent to simply disgusting, but the whole point of the mirror universe is that people there aren’t just bad at living up to moral code or plain ol jerks, they’re beyond depraved, outright demonic incarnations of amoral sex and violence, representing everything that sucks about people just as the Enterprise crew tries to represent what is good. And that’s surely nothing like what STD is going for.

Stamets could be traveling to the mirror universe or something, which would indeed be a really funny and even good explanation for why he refers to Tilly as captain, but my thought when i watched the episode was that he has come “unstuck in time” as it were and sees Tilly momentarily as captain because someday she will be (as she has said she intends) and he’s been then and seen that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That last episode solidified the "flaming dump truck rolling downhill towards a large pile of poo poo*" nature of this show, that was the worst one yet

*the pile of poo poo symbolizes the finale

**and my posts

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Anyway, my Enterprise rewatch is going great. Flox introducing a character to a Tribble before dumping it into a cage as food for one of his pets and giving his goofy smile was better than anything on this show

ickna
May 19, 2004

Mirror universe theory aside, I think the implication of Staments time transcendence weirdness is that Tilly makes the rank of captain in the future.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't, Tilly is the best of all of them, she'll the best Captain in the fleet.

If Voq is Commander Boytoy, it will feel really unearned at this point.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I thought lobotomies were illegal in the future? Because there is no way Tilly should be anywhere near a Captain's chair unless her brain is rewritten.

Hell she shouldn't be on a starship either to begin with.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She's so random thoguh

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tilly's great, I don't know what you all are on about.

skasion posted:

I don’t see how this show could literally be taking place in the mirror universe, or what it explains if it is.
People only say this as a more roundabout way of saying this show is bad or "anti-Trek" or whatever. As you pointed out it doesn't make sense at all on the face of it.

I'm more sympathetic to the joke prediction that mirror Discovery will be full of happy people who are nice and get along, but even that doesn't really ring true for the ship as a whole since we've settled down and had a nice few episodes where people worked together to solve problems.

It may still be what's going on with Stamets specifically.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

twistedmentat posted:

If Voq is Commander Boytoy, it will feel really unearned at this point.

Yep. It would have been really easy to set up in the pilot with like 90 seconds of screen time, but they didn't bother. Just open on him interacting with some training hologram about human culture, change why he is outcast to be/include "you study humans and their ways so closely you practically are one of them." "only to better defeat them by exploiting their own weakness!" "we do not need to understand our enemies, we are klingons, rock is best nothing beats rock" etc.

The Voq we are introduced to was the opposite of a super-spy, he was a misfit religious zealot. He'd be barely be able to pass himself off as a shy, awkward human federation Janitor, let alone the right hand man to a suspicious Fed captain and romancer of a former commnand track officer. I really don't care what the technobabble reason he got his brain in a handsome human package is, I'll buy it because it's Trek and body swaps/radical cosmetic alteration are a thing, but you have to earn the other part, too. This is 100% going to be a cheat.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I have a feeling it's Voq's Klingon Katra hiding within Ash Tyler.

L'Rell was supposed to do something to activate/bring it forward.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Every time discovery jumps it jumps to another universe, similar but just different enough. That's why nothing makes sense and nobody uses or talks about the spore drive in the other shows.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

yaffle posted:

Every time discovery jumps it jumps to another universe, similar but just different enough. That's why nothing makes sense and nobody uses or talks about the spore drive in the other shows.

This makes too much sense. Maybe eventually they'll end up somewhere D-7s look right.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Eiba posted:

The most amusing implication of this is that this would make mirror Tilly the captain of mirror Discovery.

Oh Captain, My Captain.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ickna posted:

Mirror universe theory aside, I think the implication of Staments time transcendence weirdness is that Tilly makes the rank of captain in the future.

I'm pretty sure this is it. Either that or he's hopping between different universes Parallels-style.

The idea that the show takes place in the mirror universe is pretty dumb, though. I don't really care too much about canon continuity and I especially don't care about mirror universe canon continuity, but come on. You'd have to ditch everything that makes the mirror universe the mirror universe (such as the Federation not existing at all) just so that you could pull a surprise reveal that doesn't even make any sense.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
"Thank god the war's over, and we can all get back to normal!"

*Everyone dramatically pulls out their agonisers, affixes them to their uniforms, Saru assassinates Lorca and takes his place as captain.*

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Slavishly recreating a 1966 tightly-budgeted television production design for an earnest futuristic science fiction piece is never not going to land visually like a gag; like parody in TYOOL 2017. It sort of works for the Family Guy Trek to do the bland beige TNG style 80's corridors because it's a deliberate pastiche.

If you want to look at someone recreating the colorful plywood, unlabeled buttons, celophane screens, and blinky lights Enterprise bridge, I think there's still two really lovingly made fan-series... if the rules Axanar's excesses forced on them didn't drive them out of production, I don't really follow that sort of thing.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

If you want new TOS, look no further.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

skasion posted:

Stamets could be traveling to the mirror universe or something, which would indeed be a really funny and even good explanation for why he refers to Tilly as captain, but my thought when i watched the episode was that he has come “unstuck in time” as it were and sees Tilly momentarily as captain because someday she will be (as she has said she intends) and he’s been then and seen that.

This is what I thought too. The Mudd episode already showed us he's unstuck in time after all.

Also the klingons having a second layer of nostril and seeing their lips move underneath their mask is really lovely, it takes me out of it altogether. I just really don't like these guys, they're not Klingons. Their horrendously ugly ships don't help. It almost feels like it's spoiling future Star Treks but I guess they'll "make it okay later" so whatever.

The guy who posted about the universe feeling bitty, like it doesn't connect to the larger star fleet is just totally spot on. The Orville does a nice job of making it feel like they're part of a larger whole and I don't get that in Discovery, at least not yet. It's like other stuff only exists on the perepherals.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eiba posted:

Tilly's great, I don't know what you all are on about.

People only say this as a more roundabout way of saying this show is bad or "anti-Trek" or whatever. As you pointed out it doesn't make sense at all on the face of it.

I'm more sympathetic to the joke prediction that mirror Discovery will be full of happy people who are nice and get along, but even that doesn't really ring true for the ship as a whole since we've settled down and had a nice few episodes where people worked together to solve problems.

It may still be what's going on with Stamets specifically.

She should be someone you meet on the ground, a recurring character that isn't there to be a hero or take up plot time, but a gentle reminder that there are things and people back home worth fighting for.

And not anywhere near a position of any importance because drat.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

evilmiera posted:

She should be someone you meet on the ground, a recurring character that isn't there to be a hero or take up plot time, but a gentle reminder that there are things and people back home worth fighting for.

And not anywhere near a position of any importance because drat.

Why not? She’s been shown as good at her job so far.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You know something interesting about this show? All the major characters on the Disco seem to be Americans except Saru. Lorca is a southerner, Tyler’s from Seattle, Tilly, Stamets, Culber, Burnham are just generally American. A couple of the minor bridge crew could be from elsewhere (Owosekun for example) but the Disco crew that we focus on specifically don’t have even a slightly international character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

You know something interesting about this show? All the major characters on the Disco seem to be Americans except Saru. Lorca is a southerner, Tyler’s from Seattle, Tilly, Stamets, Culber, Burnham are just generally American. A couple of the minor bridge crew could be from elsewhere (Owosekun for example) but the Disco crew that we focus on specifically don’t have even a slightly international character.
Yeah, the show gets away with this because two of the main cast are gay characters.

For season 2 I would really like another Vulcan or an Andorian or someone alien besides Saru.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I liked that this episode bothered to name a bunch of the bridge officers. Owosekun at Ops? Rhys at tactical, Detmer is Conn?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

skasion posted:

It's especially weird when Jason Isaacs and Clem Fandango are from the UK.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Unfair that La Forge has to have a hair clip over his eyes 120 years after Detmer's rad robot eye implant.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

It's especially weird when Jason Isaacs and Clem Fandango are from the UK.

Apparently Detmer is German, according to the tie-in novel.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Unfair that La Forge has to have a hair clip over his eyes 120 years after Detmer's rad robot eye implant.

Well you see, the studio didn't really have the technology to accurately portray rad robot eye implants in the 90s but now they do and furthermore

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Well you see, the studio didn't really have the technology to accurately portray rad robot eye implants in the 90s but now they do and furthermore

I am unironically fine with this answer tbqh

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I am unironically fine with this answer tbqh

Yeah maybe Geordi was terrified of getting his eyeballs plucked out and used an external device until Rick Berman told him to get future-LASIK in time for First Contact.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
OBVIOUSLY someone who is socially awkward only deserves to be kept on a planet because starfleet is only for the lucky few to be born without minor issues that have no bearings on scientific work. Otherwise, it takes people out of the fantasy that they would be perfect as they would be a starfleet officer themselves, naturally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The_Doctor posted:

I liked that this episode bothered to name a bunch of the bridge officers. Owosekun at Ops? Rhys at tactical, Detmer is Conn?
Some of them were named a few episodes back but it was very quick. Detmer is one of the Shenzhou survivors.

I️ forget the name of the Android lady.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some of them were named a few episodes back but it was very quick. Detmer is one of the Shenzhou survivors.

I️ forget the name of the Android lady.

Oh oh, Airiam!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If she's an android and not a cyborg that will bother me b/c an android in starfleet in the 23rd century messes with more than cometic production stuff timeline wise.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If she's an android and not a cyborg that will bother me b/c an android in starfleet in the 23rd century messes with more than cometic production stuff timeline wise.

I hope this clears things up for you.

'Airiam's nature has been subject to a number of divergent background statements. StarTrek.com described Airiam as being a "synthetic-Human hybrid", while Ted Sullivan tweeted that she was an alien. Meanwhile After Trek: "Episode 3" described her species as "augmented alien", while After Trek: "Episode 5", involving Gretchen J. Berg, Neville Page and Glenn Hetrick called her instead an "augmented Human".'

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

My head cannon is that she's a sort of Dalek-like non-humanoid species that controls a humanoid robot outer shell so as to interact better with the crew and ship.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HD DAD posted:

Yeah maybe Geordi was terrified of getting his eyeballs plucked out and used an external device until Rick Berman told him to get future-LASIK in time for First Contact.

Or it could also be the way in which Geordi is blind. Maybe the implants in Discovery only work if the optic nerve is still attached and Geordi wasn't born with them or whatever.

In the grand scheme of Fictional Discovery Anachromisms, it's a really silly thing to complain about.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Was there anything in the show that implied that any Klingon (much less Voq) was going to infiltrate undercover or is that just a "hey this would be a cool plot point" that people are speculating on?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

cjg posted:

Was there anything in the show that implied that any Klingon (much less Voq) was going to infiltrate undercover or is that just a "hey this would be a cool plot point" that people are speculating on?

It has got something to do with Voq's actor Javid Iqbal being obviously fake, which leads people to believe that he's probably actually played by Shazad Latif.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

And More posted:

It has got something to do with Voq's actor Javid Iqbal being obviously fake, which leads people to believe that he's probably actually played by Shazad Latif.

And that Shazad Latif's original surname was Shazad Iqbal as well as the fact that Shazad was originally cast as Klingon.
He's Voq, he is.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

marktheando posted:

Why not? She’s been shown as good at her job so far.

she's fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fartbox posted:

she's fat

you misspelled 'thicc'

When she lets her hair down, my "spore drive" sure activates.