Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

theodop posted:

yeah i started to do a lab report in latex and got up to putting things above one another in a column header and immediately opened up word instead.

is there a good resource for learning latex? I mean I understand why it's good but learning it by rote isn't working

have you read Lamport’s LaTeX: A Document Preparation System? no? you should

do you keep it next to you while writing LaTeX? no? you should

(I don’t know if there’s a PDF floating around as :filez: but if there is I’d want one to augment my paper copy, but I’d also have the paper copy for convenience of flipping around to different sections as I write)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

eschaton posted:

(I don’t know if there’s a PDF floating around as :filez: but if there is I’d want one to augment my paper copy, but I’d also have the paper copy for convenience of flipping around to different sections as I write)

I have not, but I'll pick it up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

*wanders into thread*

hey guys but what about docbook
sorry im not 70 year old

theodop posted:

yeah i started to do a lab report in latex and got up to putting things above one another in a column header and immediately opened up word instead.

is there a good resource for learning latex? I mean I understand why it's good but learning it by rote isn't working
searching stack overflow, like with the rest of things. really, i think ive maybe read a blog article or two with latex since there's barely anything involved in writing w/ it, especially if you use a grpahic editor

eschaton posted:

when last I wrote LaTeX, I authored it using Pete Keleher’s Alpha editor on System 7, and used OzTeX to render it, on a 25 MHz 68040 with 12MB of RAM and a 120MB hard drive

it worked pretty drat well, so well that I’d probably just load that up in Mini vMac and use it there rather than try to figure out how the gently caress anyone actually writes LaTeX in hellyear 2017

eschaton posted:

you cannot give outright harmful suggestions just because this is a terrible programmer thread and something worked for you before internet was invented

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

to address multirow table cell question specifically, use multirow or tabularx or use one of like half a dozen native options, such as p-columns, nested tabulars, shortstacks, arrays, text bullets, etc

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
google and snack overflow worked p well for me figuring out latex

yesterday i managed to get emoji working in pdflatex and it only took me like an hour!!!! (dont ask what shameful things i am doing with this)

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 8, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

google and snack overflow worked p well for me figuring out latex

yesterday i managed to get emoji working in pdflatex and it only took me like an hour!!!! (dont ask what shameful things i am doing with this)

same, my first latex project was to digitise a nuclear physics college textbook written by a prof who worked at my alma mater in soviet times and it was basically rear end clenching experience for 6 months but random blogspot pages, stack overlfow, and cigarettes got me through

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also please post your emoji movie transcript when you are done

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
LaTeX is fine

plain TeX is also fine

i cut my teeth on the latter because the university library didn't have a copy of lamport's book

i did some of my computer science science using plain TeX and thought the output was the neatest thing ever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There Will Be Penalty posted:

LaTeX is fine

plain TeX is also fine

i cut my teeth on the latter because the university library didn't have a copy of lamport's book

i did some of my computer science science using plain TeX and thought the output was the neatest thing ever

plain tex is fine but there are virtually no reasons to ever use it in 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
why are latex distributions giga mega huge?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why are latex distributions giga mega huge?

because full distors are offline ctan mirrors containing just the latest version. entire ctan with all history is less than 40 gigs

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

because full distors are offline ctan mirrors containing just the latest version. entire ctan with all history is less than 40 gigs

but i thought latex is text, code, and vector graphics. why is it so huge?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

but i thought latex is text, code, and vector graphics. why is it so huge?

distro doesn't have much graphics per se, just a lot of text, code, and binaries. ctan is collection of all packages ever developed for latex by someone competent

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

plain tex is fine but there are virtually no reasons to ever use it in 2017

sure

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

latex is a superposition of awful and awesome

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
c tp s:
did a change, tested it locally. found a bug and fixed it.

fast forward to it being merged, the bug persisted.

the problem? i never loving committed the bugfix :bang:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
latex is a hot mess but it makes pretty documents and at least you can loving git diff the nasty-rear end \source{code}

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

gonadic io posted:

c tp s:
did a change, tested it locally. found a bug and fixed it.

fast forward to it being merged, the bug persisted.

the problem? i never loving committed the bugfix :bang:

Still have you beat. Yesterday I made a change, tested it, looked into diff --staged to make sure I didn't add something by mistake... noticed a commented out line that shouldn't have been, uncommented it, commited and went to sleep.

All builds were red today, because I was an idiot and didn't test the change afterwards :v:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
where’s the half assed latex reimplementation in nodejs with json syntax and a bootstrap homepage describing it as minimal and beautiful

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a modern-ish replacement for latex is the one situation where xml might sort of make sense so of course nobody has done it

actually, looking at the abomination that is mathml, probably not. forget i said anything.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
We've used html-to-pdf poo poo a bunch where we might possible have used latex. I guess 1) we have lots of webdevs, and 2) with electron too, html/js really is becoming the go-to lang for front-end pretty stuff even outside of strictly web contexts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

where’s the half assed latex reimplementation in nodejs with json syntax and a bootstrap homepage describing it as minimal and beautiful

http://www.prat0318.com/json_resume/ here?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lay-tecks or lah-tech?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

carry on then posted:

lay-tecks or lah-tech?

It depends on whether I'm in the bedroom or the office

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

lay-tecks or lah-tech?

lay-tech or lah-tech

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

don't leak my pitches

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

id love to have just some solid loops & string-manip stuff in latex that isnt either a) half-baked or b) a nightmare of expl3

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

id love to have just some solid loops & string-manip stuff in latex that isnt either a) half-baked or b) a nightmare of expl3

Isn't this was luatex is for?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about luatex and might be horribly wrong

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Isn't this was luatex is for?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about luatex and might be horribly wrong
kinda but not quite

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Soricidus posted:

you mean in ocaml

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i recently had to decompile a deployed assembly and compare it to a local build (also decompiled) to figure out why something was broken.

turns out someone had compiled their own version of this assembly which replaced a very important validation method with return true, and threw it up onto the server

luckily, this was pre-prod. however, there's nothing stopping people from doing this to production systems (and in fact we've had multiple issues from people doing similar things to prod in the past!)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont like the idea of embedding a whole nother language and i dont want to learn lua

i just want some readable builtins for basic poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

a modern-ish replacement for latex is the one situation where xml might sort of make sense so of course nobody has done it

actually, looking at the abomination that is mathml, probably not. forget i said anything.

i don't know how they compare to latex or to each other, but there's a bunch of xml-based typesetting programs and sysrems

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
latex is great if you want something to look "nice" and you're not picky about which version of "nice" you need

it is literally completely impossible to use if you want it to look a specific nice way unless you have severe brain damage. dont even try, you cant do it. if you don't believe me just pick a random question on the tex snackexchange board: every single answer is a completely different and equally disgusting hack, presented as a rational and routine solution.

lay-tech for cool dudes, lah-tech for technically correct but insufferable linguistics nerds.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ShimaTetsuo posted:

latex is great if you want something to look "nice" and you're not picky about which version of "nice" you need

it is literally completely impossible to use if you want it to look a specific nice way unless you have severe brain damage. dont even try, you cant do it. if you don't believe me just pick a random question on the tex snackexchange board: every single answer is a completely different and equally disgusting hack, presented as a rational and routine solution.

lay-tech for cool dudes, lah-tech for technically correct but insufferable linguistics nerds.

or if someone with severe brain damage has already done all the work for you, like conferences that publish templates or whatever. just cross your fingers it puts your figures in a sane place because if not then rip

also lah-tech because it sounds the least like latex

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hot

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ShimaTetsuo posted:

every single stack overflow for LaTeX has three answers:

- a straightforward way to get what you want which is invariably deprecated

- a method which involves swapping out one of the packages you're using for a package with almost but not quite the same name

- a 'modern' method involving function names containing underscores which won't work with whichever version of TeX you have

and they're always presented as a block of code to copy and paste rather than an explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Arcsech posted:

tbh i have done this in latex when i couldnt figure out how to get it to make the loving table look right

i've used things like plot.ly for tables and graphs when crunched for time, with deadlines do whatever is "good enough." if it needs to be better than that it is no real effort to yank someone elses config or template as you said, but fiddling around with it isn't that painful considering the alternatives

ShimaTetsuo posted:

word is great if you want something to look "nice" and you're not picky about which version of "nice" you need

it is literally completely impossible to use if you want it to look a specific nice way unless you have severe brain damage. dont even try, you cant do it

• Locked thread