Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The link describes the child as his son, but that topknot is misleading. It's a shame he doesn't have two puppies on leashes.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Also re plague marines: Plague flails seem worth it to me even if the other weapon options aren't. D3 attacks that spill over looks nice. I'd never take a cleaver for 1 attack.

Once I get some rhinos I was going to fit a squad with 2 flails, 2 flamers (either a belcher or a spewer depending on how my points look), a powerfist, and either keep the other two as bolters or give them knife + axe.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

glitchkrieg posted:

How foolish is this for an Emperor's Children army?

Actually, how foolish is it to go ahead and assemble/paint a Slaanesh-based army?

Do what you want, and I say this as a fan of Emperor’s Children, but bear in mind the Emperor’s Children models are awful, awful, awful. You need to buy two kits to make noise Marines, and the sculpts are tired. They’re also likely to get a refresh maybe the end of next year (would fit with the pattern). Slaaneshi Daemon models are also just bad, even ignoring nipple based nonsense.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
WIP: Just polling for opinions.

I decided to have a Counts-As Shrike for my RG Successors, at Primaris size, and have aquired one of the Dark Fury Jump Packs. The question is, do I include the little wings it comes with or not? It looks a bit too Raven Guard (and I'm continuing to do my Greek 'Are they Alpha Legion or not?' vibe) with them on, but is it too bare with them off?

(Oh, and gently caress that super-visible when photo'd mold line forever. :suicide:)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

chutche2 posted:

People who run plague marines in squads of 5 and not squads of 7 should have their models taken away

Same but berzerkers and 8

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

this is canon

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Milotic posted:

Do what you want, and I say this as a fan of Emperor’s Children, but bear in mind the Emperor’s Children models are awful, awful, awful. You need to buy two kits to make noise Marines, and the sculpts are tired. They’re also likely to get a refresh maybe the end of next year (would fit with the pattern). Slaaneshi Daemon models are also just bad, even ignoring nipple based nonsense.

I have nearly everything on that list, in pieces somewhere, including 20 Noise Marines and the best bits of the old school Keeper of Secrets. But I'll be picking up a load of third-party torsos/helmets/heads to try and improve them, once I've sorted a decent pink painting recipe.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

SRM posted:

this is canon

I am going to guess that the dad is the bigly marine in this relationship?

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Is it realistic to expect Chapter Approved to amend Chapter Tactics for SM and Legion Traits for CSM to apply to all their units instead of just infantry, bikers, and dreadnoughts? With Ad Mech, AM, CW Eldar, and Tyranid equivalents applying to all their units, I feel like it would make sense for them to try and change it in Chapter Approved.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Is it realistic to expect Chapter Approved to amend Chapter Tactics for SM and Legion Traits for CSM to apply to all their units instead of just infantry, bikers, and dreadnoughts? With Ad Mech, AM, CW Eldar, and Tyranid equivalents applying to all their units, I feel like it would make sense for them to try and change it in Chapter Approved.

I would be very surprised if they did.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
If those numbers are legit from chapter approved plasma inceptors might actually be worth a look now, since its ~12 plasma gun shots anywhere on the board for 178pts.

13pts more and 4 wounds and 1ap fewer than hellblasters for on average 2 more shots that can always be in range.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah idk. I've fought against plasma inceptors and they just didn't impress me. At 2d3 shots each they will die if you overcharge guaranteed, and if you're not overcharging they're not *that* much more threatening than assault bolters unless you're shooting at TEQ or MEQ in cover. Against 3+ save you're paying a good bit more per model for on average like 1 extra dead marine for a 6 man inceptor squad, and against 4+ and worse the assault bolters pull ahead. I've had inceptor plasma squads drop on me, kill like 3 or 4 tac marines (or 1-2 primaris) then get annihilated the following turn. Marines need rerolls to work and you've got to make a big investment to deep strike rerolls with inceptors.

They do compare decently to assault hellblasters though you're right, expecially with assault incinerators going up in price according to that. But I think they're better at filling the role of mulching light infantry, hellblasters will hold ground better and have better AP so let them handle plasma duty. Hellblasters are better suited to holding ground with a reroll bubble and a higher model count, while inceptors want to be more mobile so they likely won't get a bubble and can't overcharge unless you just drop them next to a captain and don't make use of their movement. Plus assault hellblasters outrange them by 6 inches which is again pretty favorable for using rerolls.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 8, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been deepstriking 3 squads of jump pack company veterans with stormbolters along with Dante for infantry mulching duty so the cheaper bolter Inceptors is incredibly exciting in several ways. 130 points for 18 heavy bolter shots anywhere on the table is an absolute steal.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished painting up some more Templars and it made me realize two things:
1. I really don't like painting capes, and can never for the life of me get smooth transitions
2. My phone camera blows and everything not directly centered looks like it's smeared in vaseline

First is Marshall "Too Old For This poo poo" Löwe:

Next is a Devastator Squad, featuring grimdark baby:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is that Bomb Baby wearing a Kylo Ren mask?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Yeah idk. I've fought against plasma inceptors and they just didn't impress me. At 2d3 shots each they will die if you overcharge guaranteed, and if you're not overcharging they're not *that* much more threatening than assault bolters unless you're shooting at TEQ or MEQ in cover. Against 3+ save you're paying a good bit more per model for on average like 1 extra dead marine for a 6 man inceptor squad, and against 4+ and worse the assault bolters pull ahead. I've had inceptor plasma squads drop on me, kill like 3 or 4 tac marines (or 1-2 primaris) then get annihilated the following turn. Marines need rerolls to work and you've got to make a big investment to deep strike rerolls with inceptors.

They do compare decently to assault hellblasters though you're right, expecially with assault incinerators going up in price according to that. But I think they're better at filling the role of mulching light infantry, hellblasters will hold ground better and have better AP so let them handle plasma duty. Hellblasters are better suited to holding ground with a reroll bubble and a higher model count, while inceptors want to be more mobile so they likely won't get a bubble and can't overcharge unless you just drop them next to a captain and don't make use of their movement. Plus assault hellblasters outrange them by 6 inches which is again pretty favorable for using rerolls.

Ah, right, luxury of being the best legion, we can give them reroll 1s in the field so they're a bit less likely to die.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I love the flames on those boys.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is that Bomb Baby wearing a Kylo Ren mask?

He's wearing a Chaos Warrior helmet, same as my Neophytes:

I figure it's because he's a failed aspirant. Also it's huge on the tiny body and it makes me laugh a little.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
They remind me of luchadore masks

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bomb Baby is a pale shade of his cousin, Li'l Babby Stabbins.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Is there a particular scheme you're going for with the weapons on your templars being yellow or red? Got the impression it was all special weapons in yellow and small arms in red but then you posted the land speeder.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

I've been deepstriking 3 squads of jump pack company veterans with stormbolters along with Dante for infantry mulching duty so the cheaper bolter Inceptors is incredibly exciting in several ways. 130 points for 18 heavy bolter shots anywhere on the table is an absolute steal.

Yeah now they're a bit more competitive with aggressors when it comes to volume fire.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Finished painting up some more Templars

These look great!

I find that painting smooth transitions on cloth is really a tedious matter of doing lots of very thin layers of gradually mixed paints, followed by some really watery/glaze-like layers for the deepest recessions

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

glitchkrieg posted:

How foolish is this for an Emperor's Children army?

Actually, how foolish is it to go ahead and assemble/paint a Slaanesh-based army?

You might want to swap out the havocs for obliterators and use endless cacophony on them. It'll save you 30 points, plus the 10 left you have to spend elsewhere. I completely flattened an entire squad of eldar bikes in one volley. And they can deep strike. It all depends on your play style of course.

Run that sorc as deep strike support for your other units. Delightful Agonies and warptime are a fun combo that gives heretic astartes infantry a 5+ fnp and a 2nd movement. Even prescience on your ranged units would be good.

Maybe consider possessed? I love those boys. I beef them up with Fabulous Bill, jump them in a rhino to get them up field, then let them go bananas in melee. Have them run with an exalted champ and a dark apostle and get your rerolls on hits and wounds, plus the delightful Agonies fnp, and any extra attacks on a 5+ if you are fighting imperium with the icon of excess. :unsmigghh:

It seems like a solid list regardless.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

Is there a particular scheme you're going for with the weapons on your templars being yellow or red? Got the impression it was all special weapons in yellow and small arms in red but then you posted the land speeder.

That's the general gist of it, but on vehicles I kinda do whatever. I also have some characters with yellow weapons - the only real hard and fast rule I have is "boltguns/pistols in red, Sword Brethren have gold weapons" but it's all based on this artwork by John Blanche:

Safety Factor posted:

Bomb Baby is a pale shade of his cousin, Li'l Babby Stabbins.

His real nemesis is grot baby:

TheChirurgeon posted:

These look great!

I find that painting smooth transitions on cloth is really a tedious matter of doing lots of very thin layers of gradually mixed paints, followed by some really watery/glaze-like layers for the deepest recessions
Thanks! I kept having washes gently caress up in the recesses and turn white, and I was way too impatient with the cape.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm just really bad at figuring out where the shadows and highlights should go on folded cloth. Does anyone know of a decent explanation of this? I can copy what people do for an individual mini but adapting that without an example is the tough part.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The changes to Primaris make me ashamed I didn't start painting them sooner even though there was a 99% chance that GW would try to make their new models more viable.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is Bomb Baby friends with Panascope?

Edit: Are Biglys rumored to get any changes aside from that adjustment?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

Finished painting up some more Templars and it made me realize two things:
1. I really don't like painting capes, and can never for the life of me get smooth transitions
2. My phone camera blows and everything not directly centered looks like it's smeared in vaseline

Looking good.

My advice for cloaks is just lots of layers...it basically becomes a question of "How much time do I want to invest in this cloak?".

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
So, we were apparently teased that the fate of slaanesh will be revealed next year, do we think it's going to be a new EC model line or the ynnari killing it for good? Same with the horned rat just eating slaanesh in AoS now he's part of the pantheon of chaos gods and is also said to be plotting against the og pantheon

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

SRM posted:

He's wearing a Chaos Warrior helmet, same as my Neophytes:

I figure it's because he's a failed aspirant. Also it's huge on the tiny body and it makes me laugh a little.

I've totally stolen the chaos helmets idea for my neophytes and it makes the scout models 1000% more tolerable.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

The changes to Primaris make me ashamed I didn't start painting them sooner even though there was a 99% chance that GW would try to make their new models more viable.
Whats likely to make the cut in light of those changes?

Tiger Millionaire posted:

So, we were apparently teased that the fate of slaanesh will be revealed next year, do we think it's going to be a new EC model line or the ynnari killing it for good? Same with the horned rat just eating slaanesh in AoS now he's part of the pantheon of chaos gods and is also said to be plotting against the og pantheon
Would be nice for them to put the edgelord sexmurder god to bed finally, but I'd still want the emperor's children around since the noise marines' brand of chaos worship is so damned cool.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Looking good.

My advice for cloaks is just lots of layers...it basically becomes a question of "How much time do I want to invest in this cloak?".

the upside is that cloaks are usually only on character models, so the tradeoff is often worth it.

Slaanesh never went anywhere in 40k

mango sentinel posted:

Edit: Are Biglys rumored to get any changes aside from that adjustment?

There are two things you can set your watch to for GW in 2018:
1. Biglys will get adjustments to make them competitive as needed
2. Biglys will get more models/support

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Artum posted:

Whats likely to make the cut in light of those changes?

Going forward as a person that is going to attempt to play Ultramarines in a competitive manner? Assuming those changes are valid we have the most powerful units(points to the damage they do) Razorbacks and Stormravens receiving a 10-20% increase, while things like Aggressors, Intercessors, and Inceptors are getting a counteractive decrease.

Ultramarine chapter tactics favor infantry units and dreadnaughts. The idea is to create an army that can reliable find itself in melee, while still having the ability to fall back and shoot, or units that being tied up in melee is irrelevant(rhinos for example).

Primaris Marines lacking a cheap transport is still a problem, but with these changes I could easily see myself transition to regular Rhinos to block LoS for my advancing Primaris, while going heavy into Aggressors, Inceptors, and Intercessors(with the assault boltgun) moving behind them or deepstriking in.

I could even see some sort of block formation using several rhinos(turned sideways, because facing doesn't matter) to provide a wall for advancing Infantry and Guilliman. The point increase of Ravens and Razors also makes Dreads more tempting as their cost to firepower ratio becomes more on par, and they benefit from chapter tactics. If my Leviathan's aren't increased in points in this book, then I will definitely be taking them over Ravens going forward.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Uroboros posted:

Looking good.

I think wet blending is probably the fastest way to get good results on a cape/cloak.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Artum posted:

Would be nice for them to put the edgelord sexmurder god to bed finally, but I'd still want the emperor's children around since the noise marines' brand of chaos worship is so damned cool.

It'd be nice if they could imply the whole excess and hedonism aspect without just doing cheesy sex demons. Make daemonettes in to gluttonous fatty-monsters or something.

Or way more androgynous and weird like the crab-claw 2nd/3rd ed daemonettes.

eSportseXpert fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 8, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

FiestaNinja posted:

It'd be nice if they could imply the whole excess and hedonism aspect without just doing cheesy sex demons. Make daemonettes in to gluttonous fatty-monsters or something.

I'd prefer a sort of androgynous "hellraiser" vibe. Lots of custom leather and exposed flesh that simultaneously implies sex and torture.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

AnEdgelord posted:

I'd prefer a sort of androgynous "hellraiser" vibe. Lots of custom leather and exposed flesh that simultaneously implies sex and torture.

That'd be too close to the DEldar Coven aesthetic, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

They ditch Slaanesh in 40k I'm out personally. They'd also have to adjust the entire Emporers' Children an Fulgrim somehow. I don't see how they could an messing with their cash cow is not a fantastic idea.

I'm getting some noise marines in my chaos force as of now but I'd think about buying new stuff if they did a DG level move.