Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

TerminalSaint posted:

When axe chat comes up I'm always compelled to share this: https://youtu.be/22tBYD-HMtA

If you like watching a master ply his craft while talking you through it with a folksy accent, the hour will feel like 10 minutes.

Watching the poo poo out of this later. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Are there any good YouTube videos on sanding? This is such a strange question, but getting metal parts I've been building to a mirror shine is surprisingly difficult. Knowing when you're done at a particular grit is the most boring skill to have to learn

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The idea of using finer grits during sanding is to remove the previous grit's marks. So essentially you want to try to knock it all down to a flat (not in a gloss/flat sense but a surface sense) and even surface with one grit before moving on to the next. Once the whole piece has pretty much the same finish while sanding with any given grit, you're pretty much done.

I picked up a vintage shifter handle this last weekend and cleaned it up with sandpaper. Went from this (on the left):

to this:

Now it's not a perfect mirror finish, but these are aluminum handles and not chrome plated. Process started at 1000 grit and ran all the way up through 12000. Took maybe a half hour or so. Probably less. Again, I just gave it a good solid pass with each grit until it looked like it wasn't making any more of a difference. Don't know if this helps at all, but maybe it will give you an idea with what to shoot for.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

ante posted:

Are there any good YouTube videos on sanding? This is such a strange question, but getting metal parts I've been building to a mirror shine is surprisingly difficult. Knowing when you're done at a particular grit is the most boring skill to have to learn

When possible it helps to sand in a different direction each time you change grits. It makes it much easier to see whether you've fully eliminated all the scratches from the previous grit or not.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Illuminado posted:

I'm quite partial to John Neeman, now 'Northmen' stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paCyA9ypEOE

I can't get enough of this poo poo.

Good hangover watching, thanks for that.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Good hangover watching, thanks for that.

Hell yeah, that's some good watchin'. All their other stuff is more/less the same and I'm just enraptured when I tune in.

Mostly because I don't get to play with those toys on my own, one day.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeah, that really is a great watch.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm thinking about making a thread for Burning Man art projects. Is there any interest in that kind of thing in this forum?

The Prodigal Swan is probably the prettiest project I've worked on.

A couple buddies and I built this guy for Burning Man in 2016.

The crown shoots fire, of course, because why wouldn't it?

I didn't manage to get any good pictures on it at the burn itself, but here I am on it at an event in Oakland.

It's built on top of an electric load hauler and can carry around 6 people comfortably or 10 if they squeeze, plus a bumpin sound system. All the plating is hand cut sheet metal, we bent tubes to form the wings and the structure inside the neck and head, and the wings and driver's seat are covered in expanded sheet metal.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 8, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Overwhelmingly yes. That's incredibly cool.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yes please :justpost:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I mean :yeah:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Is there any interest in that kind of thing in this forum?

Man what the gently caress you think?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Holy poo poo yes :getin:

Work in process would be awesome too

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Man what the gently caress you think?

:laffo:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Alright. Alright. I'll start working on one. WIP shots to be included for sure.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nice

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The idea of using finer grits during sanding is to remove the previous grit's marks. So essentially you want to try to knock it all down to a flat (not in a gloss/flat sense but a surface sense) and even surface with one grit before moving on to the next. Once the whole piece has pretty much the same finish while sanding with any given grit, you're pretty much done.

I picked up a vintage shifter handle this last weekend and cleaned it up with sandpaper. Went from this (on the left):

to this:

Now it's not a perfect mirror finish, but these are aluminum handles and not chrome plated. Process started at 1000 grit and ran all the way up through 12000. Took maybe a half hour or so. Probably less. Again, I just gave it a good solid pass with each grit until it looked like it wasn't making any more of a difference. Don't know if this helps at all, but maybe it will give you an idea with what to shoot for.

Looks nice. You could fill in all those dings with solder if you want to, given that they're aluminum.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

dyne posted:

Looks nice. You could fill in all those dings with solder if you want to, given that they're aluminum.

That's decades of character, man! Can't cover that up :)

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's decades of character, man! Can't cover that up :)

Wasn't there decades of character before you started :confused:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

dyne posted:

Wasn't there decades of character before you started :confused:

Touche...

But I like the dings and dents. They tell stories of guys banging out hard 2-3 shifts as they try to pull ahead of the guy that was just giving them poo poo at the last stoplight. Or maybe they got made by somebody stealing the handle out of a car and then dropping it in a parking lot as they ran away when the owner came back.

The oxidation and grime is kinda sad. It speaks of unuse. So get rid of the years of waiting and get ready for another adventure.

And I like shiny stuff.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 9, 2017

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Okay, I made the thread for BM art. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840035

So far it's just context but I'll dive into more detail soon.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Liked and subscribed.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I freshened up an old leather pouch with a new zipper and lining from a shirt.

Should've cut the fabric in the corners to avoid bumps but I like it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Skills. Looked good. Did you sew by hand or machine?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

wormil posted:

Skills. Looked good. Did you sew by hand or machine?

There were nice regular holes where needed, so I reused those and hand sewed everything.

vvv: thanks !

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 21, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
very clean looking.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I got a used scroll saw a few weeks ago, and I suck at using it. The only way to get better is with practice, so I decided to make some Christmas ornaments for friends and family.

My wife's friend returned to Nebraska from several years living out of state. I made this ornament to celebrate her return. I dropped it as I was sanding it and it broke in two, so here it is mid-glue-up. I have since refined the cuts inside the letters, sanded the whole thing, and mounted it to a little piece of pine. The little bits inside the 'e' and the 'o' are lined up somewhat better, but still not perfect.

My wife's parents are pretty conservative, so I made this delightful silhouette of Colin Kaepernick kneeling. I made this out of 3/4" pine and cut it down the middle so I have two of these.

My mom passionately dislikes Donald Trump, so I made this for her:

Yeah, my scroll saw work could be a bit cleaner. Practice makes perfect (someday, I hope).

coathat
May 21, 2007

Scroll saw is hard. I’ve got a big pile of terrible ornaments.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I finally finished my main project for my Welding Fabrication class!

Its a square steel tube frame with oiled birch shelves. It stands about 5 feet tall.

I made it to match another desk I made as a personal project

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
A mate of mine and I both have 3d printers and an engineering mind, so we are competing to make the best slingshot.

I looked at spearguns and that German slingshot fella on YouTube.

The influence is quite obvious

This was my first self made design with moving parts
My CAD designs were a bit tricky but Fusion360 is very well made and intuitive.

I had a bit of carbon fibre floating around from a previous project to put between these pieces

I made a small scale version to test fit everything and it ended up being rather fun . I ended up giving a version of it to a mate as a birthday present.

https://youtu.be/F7birzUZ4I0

And I eventually got around to doing the full-size print

And the money shot
https://youtu.be/-zt1GGC8a4g

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I had a box of cranes in the closet so decided to string them up with yarn and put them in a shadowbox. I was surprised that I could actually thread a normal needle with yarn which is what I used to get the yarn through the cranes. I used a staple gun to hold the yarn down on bottom and top of box. Then I covered the staples with black paint to hide them. Overall it took about 2 to 3 hours to finish, but that included a lot of planning and measuring.

I will probably make another and it should only take an hour. This is assuming I don't have to fold more cranes (120 in total). If I did decide to go with another pattern of paper or ran out, it only takes maybe a minute per crane to fold. Super happy with the outcome!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yooooooooooo thats dope as hell

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

I had a box of cranes in the closet so decided to string them up with yarn and put them in a shadowbox. I was surprised that I could actually thread a normal needle with yarn which is what I used to get the yarn through the cranes. I used a staple gun to hold the yarn down on bottom and top of box. Then I covered the staples with black paint to hide them. Overall it took about 2 to 3 hours to finish, but that included a lot of planning and measuring.

I will probably make another and it should only take an hour. This is assuming I don't have to fold more cranes (120 in total). If I did decide to go with another pattern of paper or ran out, it only takes maybe a minute per crane to fold. Super happy with the outcome!

I don't know of cranes but this poo poo is amazing. Drive on creative goon...

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is great.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Nothing major. But I bought some second hand furniture and I'm cleaning, sanding and oiling it. Came up pretty well I think.

Bought it for a new deck and it looks good.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Booger Presley posted:

I don't know of cranes but this poo poo is amazing. Drive on creative goon...

https://www.origamiway.com/origami-crane.shtml

These are the cranes. I fold mine slightly differently, but everyone folds differently anyway.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Been kicking this around in Sketchup, trying to come up with something simple and uncomplicated. 1x4's seemed to work out with the least amount of math. Pretty much all straight cuts. Roughly 30" tall, 36" wide, 23" deep. Considering making the cooler part out of 2" polyiso rigid foam insulation with a food safe resin or fiberglass coating. I wanted a bit of a table surface on the side, but I'm not sure of the proportions.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hard to tell from looking, does it allow for wood movement?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

FogHelmut posted:

Been kicking this around in Sketchup, trying to come up with something simple and uncomplicated. 1x4's seemed to work out with the least amount of math. Pretty much all straight cuts. Roughly 30" tall, 36" wide, 23" deep. Considering making the cooler part out of 2" polyiso rigid foam insulation with a food safe resin or fiberglass coating. I wanted a bit of a table surface on the side, but I'm not sure of the proportions.

You could use tongue and groove planking for some of the structure on that, and go thinner than 1" on those bits. This might save you a bit of money too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wormil posted:

Hard to tell from looking, does it allow for wood movement?

Well, no. When you Google "country cooler" no one else seems to either. I could probably accommodate for this with the tongue and groove planking mentioned.