Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hahahaha wow. loving really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

More people should wear sashes with their job titles. I just think it would make the world a better place somehow.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Buck wants YOU to stop comic book art forgery!

Apartment 3-G

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SuperKlaus posted:

the bus is so good you guys

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yes, poo poo-talk your son in front of the small child he acts as a positive role model to. That'll show him which one of you is the real adult here. :jerkbag:

Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

The Amazing Lizard/Florida-Man

Nancy
:barf:

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Nekonaughey

Wikipedia posted:

Wanko Soba (わんこそば) is a style of Japanese soba noodles originating from Iwate Prefecture in Japan, particularly Morioka and Hanamaki. It consists of a small serving of soba noodles in small bowls. In this soba experience, you quickly eat your soba noodles and get your bowl immediately refilled in repetition.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ylKL7Be16Q&t=45s

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pretty much this strip would improve if they wrote the Grandmother out of it.
Also, gently caress you. I don't know what the hell Fleek means either but you can get from the context that it's a compliment/ is saying that it looks good.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, gently caress you. I don't know what the hell Fleek means either but you can get from the context that it's a compliment/ is saying that it looks good.

Isn't "on fleek" more than a decade old now, anyway?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

I actually assumed it was the name of an online shopping portal. Does this mean someone's going to come and take my millennial card away?

Please; I've tried fire, acid, nothing gets rid of this thing.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
^^ That's perfect.

Is this Gilchrist's first disgustingly pious strip? Is this the turning point? How much longer does Brad bother to keep his name on it?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that an actual thing that's happened in proper Batman comics?

Sort of. There's a Mexican Batman (Bat-Hombre) who rides a horse. And Batman proper rides one during the climax of Dark Knight Returns.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

This comic has been growing on me, but I think "Guess What? Chicken Hut!" finally put it over the top.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Huh. At first I was wondering why they didn't just use the bridle on the dead horse as their string, but the inability of anyone to vocalize that option makes a lot more sense in light of that twist. It wouldn't surprise me if the Colonel brings it up now that Modesty's knocked out and can't martyr herself to save him.

Tracksuit

Another Game of Death reference, which seems especially obscure considering this is a movie that technically doesn't even exist. I rather suspect this is just an excuse to draw random copyrighted characters.

The punchline makes a lot more sense this time though.

Mother From Another Country

I was really hoping for a hat trick of untranslated reaction shots but unfortunately the third one isn't as intuitive as the first two. I really love the lettering in this comic but I'm the only one who ever gets to see it.

edit: the next Tracksuit is another Mencius parody. Could someone remind me what his actual name in Chinese is? I would have quoted it if I'd thought this would come up again...

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 9, 2017

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Does the colonel not use boot-laces?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Does the colonel not use boot-laces?

Those seem a bit too short to detonate an explosive with safely.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

Pop Team Epic

Kitty Tonight

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, neither does she. Who still says "on fleek"?

I see what you did there. :golfclap:

Haifisch posted:

2004 Spiderman
I love the reaction of the two people in the lift to Peter's sudden outburst. :roflolmao:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Quick and dirty edit...

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Aardmania posted:

Quick and dirty edit...

So much better. Gilchrist sure didn't wait long to poo poo allllll over bushmiller's work did he?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth (with notes on Googling funeral homes and Jim Keefe notes)

Skippy (September 10-11, 1930)

Peanuts (November 6-7, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 12-13, 1930)

Thimble Theater (May 29-30, 1931)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set can't get there from here.

Working Daze downsizes.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix brings me a higher love.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life references a 1930's song for a punchline.

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I like how Brock Lesnar is included with all the fictional monsters.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack
I know some people really hate these comics, but I usually don't mind them. They're weird, but not offensive. One thing that always annoys me though is how Dethany is supposedly covered in piercings but they're not actually drawn. Even in close-ups.

I know the excuse, that they're too fiddly and would be too small to see properly anyway, but god dammit, make the attempt or give up on the idea entirely! If you can't draw piercings on your character then your character can't have piercings. It's that simple!

Also, for all I know "ornaments" is actually the correct term, but it sounds really dumb.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into newspaper comics, but the Intelligent Life Vietnam Vet comics reminded me of a pattern that I've noticed.

Newspaper comics seem to treat all Vietnam War vets as white men in abject poverty. This is a cheap way establish a character as being respectable in spite of being poor. Otherwise, the author would have to flesh out their characters' backstories to demonstrate that they're "respectable". It also provides a mouthpiece for the authors' to share their opinions about war and the USA. As if those opinions get extra legitimacy because they're coming from a drawing of a veteran.

Maybe this isn't as common as I think. I could swear this pops up in other comics but the only other example that comes to mind is Nancy.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 2, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 19, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 15, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 15, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Barney Google (April 18, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 18, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 13, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 26, 1933)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

What the gently caress

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

What the gently caress

Everybody's always looking at their phones these days like a bunch of zombies instead of talking to each other - no I don't know what phones are for, something called "apps" apparently... back in my day we didn't have apps, we all had to talk to each other because no one had invented newspapers or magazines yet and we were better for it, everyone was highly informed and intelligent back then, not like these millennials with their "safe spaces" and smart phones turning them all into a bunch of zombies who never talk to anyone and don't know anything - no I told you I don't know what phones are for, something called "apps", which I'm sure are all completely pointless wastes of time... my grandson showed me this snappychat thing and it just made perfectly good photos look stupid but I hear it's all the rage with these millennials, all just staring at their phones taking "selfies"... no one ever took a photo of themself before the invention of the smartphone, you know, we only took photos to commemorate important occasions and everyone dressed nicely and smiled, not like these millennials with their torn jeans and facial piercings - well of course earrings are perfectly fine, that's not the same thing at all, earrings make a girl look nice, but these millennials wouldn't know anything about that, they're all too busy staring at their phones like a bunch of zombies to bother trying to attract a spouse... that is if they can even make up their minds whether they want to be boys or girls in the first place and if they're gay or straight or six of one and half a dozen of the other - oh, sorry that's my phone, I've got a Facebook notification.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cicadalek posted:

What the gently caress

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 3, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 3, 1996)

Garfield Classic (April 3, 1986)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that an actual thing that's happened in proper Batman comics?

There was this:

• Locked thread