Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Adrian Pasdar eventually became one of the best side characters on SHIELD, so it all ends up alright.

Very true. He does need more screen time, though.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

oh my god I totally forgot about that nugget :psyduck:

As you should have. Remembering it seems to be my curse to bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

oh my god I totally forgot about that nugget :psyduck:

My favorite was when Sylar was becoming a sort of anti hero, and he was hanging out with Kristen Bell and they were kind of cute together, and she taught him how to use his powers without murdering people. Then he randomly was like, eh, I'm bored with being a good guy so instead I'm gonna murder you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk_wDY-cAlM

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Was Heroes the show with the superpowered god-fight behind a closed door?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RareAcumen posted:

that was awesome, because every one at the time accepted it because of course they were gonna save the budget and not give away that fight before the season finale...

Then the season finale happened and lol...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember season 3 briefly became good again when Bryan Fuller came back for like 4 episodes where Zeljko Ivanek was playing a bounty hunter, but then Fuller left yet again and of course it quickly went to poo poo yet again.

I literally remember nothing about season 4. But I remember season 5 had Robert Knepper all like "HAHA I HAVE THIS BIG PLAN WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE IT HAPPEN" and then nothing happened because his plan was foiled and that was it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RareAcumen posted:

I never can find a good gif of the man heroically holding that door shut

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Heroes also could not stop itself from going back to the “person with vision of future sees apocalypse and must prevent it” well, to the point where they kept introducing more dudes who could paint/see the future, or having existing characters gain the power temporarily for ~reasons~

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Remember when that one guy brought some woman to a dystopian future and just sort of forgot her there?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Remember when that one guy brought some woman to a dystopian future and just sort of forgot her there?

That would be Peter and his Irish girlfriend.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

And they changed the future so presumably she got blinked out of existence!

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Season 2 also introduced a young girl with Taskmaster's power who didn't really use her power except once near the end of the season and I'm pretty sure didn't connect to the main plot in any way at all and then she just never showed up again with no explanation, not even a passing "She went back to her home planet" line.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Why are you guys making me remember Heroes?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

STOP

please, I'm begging you :negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaay back on page 173 someone mentioned Heroes Reborn as Inhumans news was coming out and then someone kept bringing it up throughout the thread.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope they really push the limited run tv mini series thing, and then it turns out it ends on like a giant cliffhanger.

The MSJ posted:

Kinda like Heroes Reborn. They said they have no plans for another season, then the series ended with a tease for another season.

Gorilla Salad posted:

They didn't even have a plan for the season which aired.

God that was such a loving trainwreck I couldn't even hate watch it to mock it.

hamsystem posted:

I can tolerate some pretty terrible TV and even I bailed on Heroes Reborn after the second episode.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Heroes Reborn was AAA amazing television compared to peak poo poo Heroes, like Season 3. (Season 2 was loving terrible but mostly boring and slow, Season 3 was 'Make up new dumb poo poo every 20 seconds')

The third season is my gold standard in bad TV, bad none. I once tried to count the plot holes in the first episode having seen the whole season and stopped when I hit like 80. Yes, 80 plot holes in 40 some minutes of television. It was like "Holy loving hell they're throwing out dumb poo poo at 2-3 a minute!"

Seriously. Dexter tried. American Horror Story's third season gave it a real run. But holy fuckballs was season three, in my humble opinion, the most incoherent and stupid TV to ever be aired. Layers of stupid. A fine cake of stupid. The kind of stupid to be studied, to make writers compose essays about so they learn from it's mistakes, so that we may never repeat that poo poo again.

Anyone who never saw Heroes, just watch season 1, pretend it's a miniseries, and forget anything else exists. There was some actual good poo poo in season 1 and it was meant to rotate the cast every season so it's pretty contained. You know that scene in every zombie movie where someone sees a loved one looking like a gnawed on, torn apart corpse shambling at them? Yeah that's how you'll feel about the rest of the show is like that if you don't stop there.

ED: I will say the interviews with Bryan Singer from his brief return and the other writers on Heroes are loving amazing. The most dysfunctional poo poo ever going on there (Singer left during the writer's strike with the rest of the team and they got terrible people to replace them after the strike). But long story short, Tim Kring is a moron who likes people to "make up stuff on the fly," and actively encouraged each writer to try to gently caress up the story and put the next writer that had to continue it in a corner. This combination and the fact this turned the writing room into a battle ground was just fascinating.

I remember reading an interview one week when Sylar got shapeshifting powers that season. "We carefully setup ground rules, spent a lot of time establishing them. He can't change his clothes this way, or size drastically. We didn't want this to become overpowered." They were very sincere. The VERY NEXT episode he turns into a little kid, with new clothes, complete with backpack and functional removable items.

And it just kinda kept trotting along.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Where's The Hatian when we need him?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Where's The Hatian when we need him?

The actor had a small, but important, part on Claws this year, and I was legitimately shocked to see him talking.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's some new characters we meet in the upcoming season of AoS: http://www.superherohype.com/news/407197-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-season-5-first-look-at-the-new-cast-members

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

RareAcumen posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaay back on page 173
I love the way this thread is reflecting the medium this show is based on.

Everyone, please start including Editor's Notes in your posts.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I will not be held accountable for my poo poo posts, you see it was a Strombot the whole time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gently caress YES Pruitt Taylor Vince is always a joy to see.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Still no Ken Marino, dammit.

Also I had to chuckle at the earthbender named Flint.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Disney.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

That would give them Fantastic Four? At least a Dr Doom in good hands would be pretty great. An Evil Tony Stark, pretty much.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Nope.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...flow-twitter-tv

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: I will say the interviews with Bryan Singer from his brief return and the other writers on Heroes are loving amazing. The most dysfunctional poo poo ever going on there (Singer left during the writer's strike with the rest of the team and they got terrible people to replace them after the strike). But long story short, Tim Kring is a moron who likes people to "make up stuff on the fly," and actively encouraged each writer to try to gently caress up the story and put the next writer that had to continue it in a corner. This combination and the fact this turned the writing room into a battle ground was just fascinating.

You mean Bryan Fuller, not Singer. The one who doesn't molest young boys.

I think he left to do Pushing Daisies and returned briefly once that was over, basically took one look at what he'd come back to and went, "Nope, actually I'm good."

It's a bit too easy to play the "Remember something stupid that happened on Heroes" game, e.g. Remember Nathan's wife and kids? Well, that's good, because the writers certainly didn't!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If anyone haven't read about it yet, that New Warriors series featuring Squirrel Girl is not going to be on Freeform anymore. Despite doing very good in test screenings, Marvel or Disney thinks it's not suitable for the Freeform demographic or something. No channel or streaming service have been announced for it yet.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Matt Parkman with a wife and kid falling in love with Daphne a woman at least 15-20 years younger than he is and in some flashforward or future having a child with her.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The MSJ posted:

If anyone haven't read about it yet, that New Warriors series featuring Squirrel Girl is not going to be on Freeform anymore. Despite doing very good in test screenings, Marvel or Disney thinks it's not suitable for the Freeform demographic or something. No channel or streaming service have been announced for it yet.

No, Freeform said they didn't have room to air it until later and Marvel wants to get it out ASAP because of it testing so well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dexo posted:

Matt Parkman with a wife and kid falling in love with Daphne a woman at least 15-20 years younger than he is and in some flashforward or future having a child with her.

The twins whose only powers were literally crying stress poison, and stopping the other one's aforementioned crying stress poison.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Maelstache posted:

Well, not that we know of yet.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Well, not that we know of yet.

Easy Tiger, that's not cool. He's never let us down.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

sticklefifer posted:

The twins whose only powers were literally crying stress poison, and stopping the other one's aforementioned crying stress poison.

I'm pretty sure poison girl was one of the only characters to get a happy ending in that awful show. In that she gave up her power and....was normal and went home?

So any guesses for S5 plots?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maelstache posted:

Holy poo poo how the gently caress did I mix up these two. Apologies to Mr. Fuller.

Dexo posted:

Oh that was so loving awkward the entire time. Neither actor look comfortable with it either. The guy who plays Parkman seems like a nice guy, and you could tell he did NOT want to go there.

Not one of the millions of total plot train wrecks that show had, just... uncomfortable and not only that, it had that fun syndrome where it makes the previous season feel like a complete waste since he's just dumped anyway.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

There's so many what the fucks in that show I could probably write a book of nothing but going on about how loving insanely bad the writing was.

My favorite stuff was what they kept doing to Sylar every other episode with no idea what they wanted to do with him. He spent an entire season with absolutely no powers whatsoever and is an evil crazy gently caress who still murders people, then suddenly no, it's the powers that made him an evil crazy gently caress because of THE HUNNNNGER but wait no he totally can control his powers and not be an evil crazy gently caress but wait there's an event that takes his powers away for a few hours and he's not an evil crazy gently caress but then it's over and he immediately murders his girlfriend because now he's a crazy evil gently caress again but wait Parkman sends him a mental prison thing for an hour and now he's not an evil crazy gently caress anymore I guess he's a hero now the end

If that sounds like the gibberings of a mad man blame Tim Kring not me

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's so many what the fucks in that show I could probably write a book of nothing but going on about how loving insanely bad the writing was.

My favorite stuff was what they kept doing to Sylar every other episode with no idea what they wanted to do with him. He spent an entire season with absolutely no powers whatsoever and is an evil crazy gently caress who still murders people, then suddenly no, it's the powers that made him an evil crazy gently caress because of THE HUNNNNGER but wait no he totally can control his powers and not be an evil crazy gently caress but wait there's an event that takes his powers away for a few hours and he's not an evil crazy gently caress but then it's over and he immediately murders his girlfriend because now he's a crazy evil gently caress again but wait Parkman sends him a mental prison thing for an hour and now he's not an evil crazy gently caress anymore I guess he's a hero now the end

If that sounds like the gibberings of a mad man blame Tim Kring not me

I read that he had his writing team actively working against whatever the previous writer had put down. Like purposefully end in corners you can't write your way out of and let the next person come up with a CRAZY TWIST to save the day.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bring back old gbs posted:

I read that he had his writing team actively working against whatever the previous writer had put down. Like purposefully end in corners you can't write your way out of and let the next person come up with a CRAZY TWIST to save the day.

Is Agent's of SHIELD back on Nov 17?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aleph Null posted:

Is Agent's of SHIELD back on Nov 17?

December 1st, from what I can see.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

I never watched that show because it looked bad and dumb.

Now, Firefly on the other hand...

😈

RareAcumen posted:

Still no Ken Marino, dammit.

Also I had to chuckle at the earthbender named Flint.

What's an earth-bender?

EDIT: I am contextually aware of what an Earth-bender is, I am making a joke similar to the comment about the earth-bending.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 8, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What's an earth-bender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bring back old gbs posted:

The way I understand it from one of the interviews of Adrian Pasdar or Zachary Quinto is that they literally filmed the later seasons twice. After the writer's strike, the majority of the original staff vacated for sunnier climes and NBC was left with a group of people who were fans of the show (which is really not the writing staff you want). Each writer would have their own particular favorite character and the writers didn't communicate plot points or try to mesh things up like a normal writer's room operated. NBC threw money at the problem (since Season 2 was still extremely popular for the time, and the wheels didn't fall off until late Season 3) so that they could rewrite scripts and refilm episodes in order to mesh into some coherent storyline. This continued until the final season when Bryan Fuller was suckered back into the NBC writer's room after Pushing Daisies was cancelled.

• Locked thread