Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Also Saru detected deception in Tyler. We're supposed think it's only of his and Burnham's plan. Not his entire mission on the Discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

cjg posted:

Was there anything in the show that implied that any Klingon (much less Voq) was going to infiltrate undercover or is that just a "hey this would be a cool plot point" that people are speculating on?

When L'rell told him that he would have to give up everything in order to fulfill his goal. His own self/identity/body would definitely qualify as "everything".

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

We are under attack by six Cling On vessels.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

pik_d posted:

When L'rell told him that he would have to give up everything in order to fulfill his goal. His own self/identity/body would definitely qualify as "everything".

I am viscerally, spergingly angry that they managed to somehow completely telegraph the twist without earning it.

A couple weeks/months is not enough time for an awkward homeschooled Klingon dork to learn to successfully pass himself off as a sexy human suaveguy.

I forget if it was this or the other thread where someone suggested that his "soul" is sort of chilling out in the Sunken Place and waiting to swap. TBH the whole Vulcan Katra thing is already too spiritually metaphysical for my sci-fis, we don't need Klingons doing the same thing.

I don't like it. I don't like the thing that's going to occur in my start trucks. :colbert:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That could be an interesting tack to follow: Klingons relying on a Vulcan soul technique for espionage.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Taear posted:

And that Shazad Latif's original surname was Shazad Iqbal as well as the fact that Shazad was originally cast as Klingon.
He's Voq, he is.

So actor gets shifted around to a different role and people assume characters are undercover. Got it.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

pik_d posted:

That could mean soooo many things, though, right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

cjg posted:

Of course, but that combined with the face actor name are pretty suggestive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cjg posted:

Yes, but he has not appeared on screen since that episode, which is more than a bit suspicious

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

As a casual viewer I probably wouldn't have guessed this twist if I wasn't reading Star Trek forums.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

What the hell is Voq's motivation again? Unite the empire or something? Do we have any indication what he might be hoping to accomplish?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What the hell is Voq's motivation again? Unite the empire or something? Do we have any indication what he might be hoping to accomplish?

They establish him as a sort of religious acolyte of Takuvma (PBUH) who wants to do just that in the name of Kahless, so yeah, that was my read.

Literally my read, because it's all lip smacking and glottal stops over subtitles.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

He’s generally hacked off at Klingon culture for being bigoted about his skin, and additionally personally hacked off at Kol because he hijacked T’kuvma’s revolution to unite the Klingons and disregarded that T’kuvma anointed Voq his successor. So he is presumably out to kill Kol and take his place.

e: Kol also stole his ship out from under him in hilarious fashion. So he probably also wants that back.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 8, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's funny to hear so many americans struggling with subtitles. In my country subtitles are the standard so the guttural orc language is just cool to me because I have no problem "reading"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't have an issue with the subtitles.

I do have an issue that the actors can't emote at all in their restrictive makeup and costumes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

skasion posted:

He’s generally hacked off at Klingon culture for being bigoted about his skin, and additionally personally hacked off at Kol because he hijacked T’kuvma’s revolution to unite the Klingons and disregarded that T’kuvma anointed Voq his successor. So he is presumably out to kill Kol and take his place.

e: Kol also stole his ship out from under him in hilarious fashion. So he probably also wants that back.

Oh yeah this nuance is def. part of it. Voq wants Kol to suffer for his mendacity, betrayal, and heresy. A unified empire, but he's a dominionist who wants it unified under Kahless, not some face painted warlord.

Voq's female henchman is named B'Rel, right? We know she must do something right since she gets a cool spaceship named after her in another decade or two.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Oh yeah this nuance is def. part of it. Voq wants Kol to suffer for his mendacity, betrayal, and heresy. A unified empire, but he's a dominionist who wants it unified under Kahless, not some face painted warlord.

Voq's female henchman is named B'Rel, right? We know she must do something right since she gets a cool spaceship named after her in another decade or two.

L’Rell

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

A couple weeks/months is not enough time for an awkward homeschooled Klingon dork to learn to successfully pass himself off as a sexy human suaveguy.

This is my problem with it. Maybe by the end of the war he would have learned how to successfully infiltrate Starfleet after years of constant training, but no way could it be done in a couple months.

The reveal is coming and it's going to be terrible.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

bull3964 posted:

I don't have an issue with the subtitles.

I do have an issue that the actors can't emote at all in their restrictive makeup and costumes.

Additionally, they take forever to say the simplest things. If this was a real foreign language, I'd assume the subtitles were leaving out some important nuance. I guess there are some people out there who'd actually understand what they're saying, right? Maybe we're really missing something here. :shrug:

Professor Shark posted:

This is my problem with it. Maybe by the end of the war he would have learned how to successfully infiltrate Starfleet after years of constant training, but no way could it be done in a couple months.

The reveal is coming and it's going to be terrible.

I figure Voq's entire body and personality has been exchanged with that of a real Starfleet officer. The guy isn't pretending to be human. For all intents and purposes, he actually is Ash Tyler, until L'Rell wakes him up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Are they speaking the official Klingon that was developed or just grunting and stuff?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

Are they speaking the official Klingon that was developed or just grunting and stuff?

According to the guy to invented the language, Discovery’s Klingon is supposedly even more accurate than TNG-era pronunciation. I need to find that interview

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

cjg posted:

So actor gets shifted around to a different role and people assume characters are undercover. Got it.

The actor who plays the klingon isn't at any cast meetings, has no interviews and no other credits on IMDB.
When Latif is asked about it he's evasive and a bit weird (see his radio times interview).

I dunno, what more proof do you need?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The only issue I got with Ash Tyler is taht his actor is poo poo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

The actor who plays the klingon isn't at any cast meetings, has no interviews and no other credits on IMDB.
When Latif is asked about it he's evasive and a bit weird (see his radio times interview).

I dunno, what more proof do you need?

Like at this point it would be a shocking twist if he wasn’t Voq

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This episode was okay, I still don't like Michael, she's just not very interesting. The planet looked good at least.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There is a jarring change in tone between Seasons 2 and 3 of Enterprise... but it's still much better than Discovery

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

david... posted:

I hope this clears things up for you.

'Airiam's nature has been subject to a number of divergent background statements. StarTrek.com described Airiam as being a "synthetic-Human hybrid", while Ted Sullivan tweeted that she was an alien. Meanwhile After Trek: "Episode 3" described her species as "augmented alien", while After Trek: "Episode 5", involving Gretchen J. Berg, Neville Page and Glenn Hetrick called her instead an "augmented Human".'

Do they even have a writers' bible worked up for this stuff? Even a single sentence written down somewhere for these characters' most basic biographical attributes, let alone their core characterization.

Once upon a time this franchise had its poo poo together.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fartbox posted:

It's funny to hear so many americans struggling with subtitles. In my country subtitles are the standard so the guttural orc language is just cool to me because I have no problem "reading"

smug AND clueless, yup we got ourselves a European goon alright

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

And More posted:

Additionally, they take forever to say the simplest things. If this was a real foreign language, I'd assume the subtitles were leaving out some important nuance. I guess there are some people out there who'd actually understand what they're saying, right? Maybe we're really missing something here. :shrug:

No, they're speaking extremely slowly, to the point of pausing to enunciate question particles at the end of sentences. That would be like Japanese speakers waiting a full stop before tacking the ka particle onto their sentence. Or Chinese speakers and the ma particle. Nobody does this.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

On one hand I'd kind of be all for the the excess Klingon design/language choices if it was to make some sort of narrative point about learning to see past superficial cultural differences. Unless there's something I'm missing so far, though, it just kind of all seems to be for the sake of theatricality.

Sometimes I think it's kind of cool and appreciate the extra effort, sometimes I see vampirish Klingons manipulating touch screens with big rubber claws and get a bad "Nemesis" vibe.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
What I don't get is why The Captain dude allowed the Klingon lady to live. He loving merc'd everybody in his way... but he was satisfied enough with just burning her face for some reason?

But then again if the Captain guy was the Klingon Spy dude, then they would have probably acted like they still had him captive or whatever and then the Klingon lady would just be able to approach the Discovery on her prison ship instead of having to go to the new Klingon boss guy. So yeah idk.

edit-- Also it makes sense that the new Security Officer "fell in like" with Michael. When the Voq dude was stranded on that Shenzou ship all he had to keep him company was that personnel file thing with Michael's face and background information emblazoned all over it or whatever. It must just be a super convenient plot thing that the Captain guy allowed the Klingon lady to live.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 9, 2017

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

skasion posted:

L’Rell

Because you're worth it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Nullsmack posted:

Because you're worth it.

lol'ed

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

No, they're speaking extremely slowly, to the point of pausing to enunciate question particles at the end of sentences. That would be like Japanese speakers waiting a full stop before tacking the ka particle onto their sentence. Or Chinese speakers and the ma particle. Nobody does this.

smug AND clueless, yup we got ourselves an Otaku goon alright

Just seeing if that phrase applies to multiple things.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I am viscerally, spergingly angry that they managed to somehow completely telegraph the twist without earning it.

I forget if it was this or the other thread where someone suggested that his "soul" is sort of chilling out in the Sunken Place and waiting to swap. TBH the whole Vulcan Katra thing is already too spiritually metaphysical for my sci-fis, we don't need Klingons doing the same thing.

I don't like it. I don't like the thing that's going to occur in my start trucks. :colbert:

God forbid star trek handle spirituality with anything other than awful stumbling awkwardness reminiscent of someone suffering from asperger's syndrome like everything that came before it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

basic hitler posted:

God forbid star trek handle spirituality with anything other than awful stumbling awkwardness reminiscent of someone suffering from asperger's syndrome like everything that came before it.

Put down the code red, i can't make head or tails of that

Unrelated:

On Joe Rogan this week, he had the real Paul Stamets, Mycologist, talking about the wonderful world of Fungi.

Eye opening to say the least. He mentions Star Trek in the last 15 mins, and Hannibal. Potential spoilers.... i sort of zoned out at work because i was leaving.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 9, 2017

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think it's pretty obvious that if Ash is Voq, he's got fake memories and probably isn't aware of who he really is. That doesn't seem too outrageous for Trek tech - there's "The Inner Light", those guys in DS9 that gave O'Brien fake memories of a prison sentence, there were aliens in one Voyager episode that traded in black market memories, there's that TNG episode where aliens wipe the crew's memories and tries to convince them to attack their enemies, NOMAD wiping Uhura's memory on a whim...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry Salami posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that if Ash is Voq, he's got fake memories and probably isn't aware of who he really is. That doesn't seem too outrageous for Trek tech - there's "The Inner Light", those guys in DS9 that gave O'Brien fake memories of a prison sentence, there were aliens in one Voyager episode that traded in black market memories, there's that TNG episode where aliens wipe the crew's memories and tries to convince them to attack their enemies, NOMAD wiping Uhura's memory on a whim...
Yeah there’s no way he’s conscious of the fact he is a Klingon, like say when we have had aliens on past shows surgically altered to look human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also if he's a completely fake identity versus a brain/soul transplant/trojan horse; we have to assume that the Klingons are not good enough at information warfare and Fed culture to plant an entire, plausible biography in the Federation database, but that the Federation is incredibly reckless with background checks to work on their universe-saving Manhattan Project.

If you join the US military today and qualify for something as sensitive as like nukes or presidential protection, they will have investigators contact and interview employers, family, and relations for at least the past decade. If they were at least as careful 200 years from now, there's no way to fake that much lived background even if you insert a completely perfect personnel file undetected.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 9, 2017