Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Bye raja, I still can't believe your smiled at that system running Vega and suckered me in.

I believed in you, rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Linus dropping another graphics card just broke the poor man.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Realistically speaking what does this mean for AMD/RTG in the short and medium term?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Short term I bet their price goes down. The announcement came after hours but I bet there's a dip tomorrow morning, the stock market hates anyone getting fired. Long term I think they're going to rise, Su has been super successful all over the electronics industry and Raja has like a decade worth of unsuccessful projects. She was the one in charge of Ryzen and that turned out well.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nyaa posted:

I hope he went straight to work with Nvdia.

why

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Realistically speaking what does this mean for AMD/RTG in the short and medium term?

Realistically we're probably ascribing too much importance to the person at the top vs the team making the hardware.

It's hard for me to believe that GCN has any gas left in the tank anymore, and Su has to know that as well. MCM-based GPUs are an additional increase in efficiency, but NVIDIA can make the same leap so they're not going to compensate for NVIDIA having >2x the performance-per-watt, and there's a lot of additional technical challenges that come with MCM designs.

They need a new uarch next time around. If I were them, I would come out with a 750 Ti first - something to prove their uarch on a small scale. Ideally you would want it to have an appropriate Infinity Fabric interconnect so that you could start playing with MCM designs as early as possible, assuming that it doesn't consume an excessive amount of die space. If that's viable you stitch together a midrange product. Then you start taping out a bigger version for your flagship.

But, this is all speculation, only AMD knows what they're going to do. I think they realize that while RTG may be struggling, they get a whole bunch of really important synergies from it. Although I guess nowadays Intel has the same synergies... I am actually still surprised about that. And it was Kyle Bennett of all people.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 8, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Kyle Bennett also said there was some friction between Lisa and Raja IIRC, seems Raja lost, but what the fight was about remains to be seen based on Lisa's moves. If Ryzen is an indication, Lisa wants to target the high end first, both in consumer and commercial, and let everything else trickle down from there. I think this makes some sense if we assume the reason Raja is leaving is Vega did not deliver on that target, while Raja wanted to go back to R700 and Cypress bang for buck days.

Paul MaudDib posted:

They need a new uarch next time around. If I were them, I would come out with a 750 Ti first - something to prove their uarch on a small scale.

Depending on how Raven Ridge performs, they may already have their 750 Ti in Small Vega, it's just that it scales for poo poo. If 24CUs @ 1190Mhz can be done inside a 55W TDP then it kind of seems Vega can match Pascal in perf/watt (48CUs would be under 130W, 64CUs @ 180W), but hates going beyond 1300Mhz and bottlenecks like crazy past 48CU it seems. Maybe the new process solves the former issue but you obviously need a redesign of some sort to address the latter.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Should have sold to samsung

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Nyaa posted:

I hope he went straight to work with Nvdia.

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-raja-koduri-will-seeking-new-horizons-intel/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD literallly just hired former Micron CEO Mark Durcan a hot minute ago, one wonders if he's taking over Raja's old office.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/11/01/1172200/0/en/AMD-Appoints-Mark-Durcan-to-Board-of-Directors.html

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AMD literallly just hired former Micron CEO Mark Durcan a hot minute ago, one wonders if he's taking over Raja's old office.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/11/01/1172200/0/en/AMD-Appoints-Mark-Durcan-to-Board-of-Directors.html

didn't someone make that call in a thread about a week ago?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yes. Me. =P

And everyone just kind of skimmed over it and nobody said anything. =P

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
who :confused: i thought this thread was up to date

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Depending on how Raven Ridge performs, they may already have their 750 Ti in Small Vega, it's just that it scales for poo poo. If 24CUs @ 1190Mhz can be done inside a 55W TDP then it kind of seems Vega can match Pascal in perf/watt (48CUs would be under 130W, 64CUs @ 180W), but hates going beyond 1300Mhz and bottlenecks like crazy past 48CU it seems. Maybe the new process solves the former issue but you obviously need a redesign of some sort to address the latter.

Supposedly NGG fast path is not active yet, although this is probably just False Hope #3267 at this point.

Frankly one thing I am concerned about is that a bunch of TBR/DSBR gains supposedly come from cache locality - i.e. having the thing you want cached into L2. Does that still happen if you have multiple chips? I wonder...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Can I just stop here for a moment and mention how great the signal-to-noise ratio is on this forum? Y'all rock :glomp:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wrong thread, raja sucks share price going nowhere but up

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Kyle Bennett also said there was some friction between Lisa and Raja IIRC, seems Raja lost, but what the fight was about remains to be seen based on Lisa's moves. If Ryzen is an indication, Lisa wants to target the high end first, both in consumer and commercial, and let everything else trickle down from there. I think this makes some sense if we assume the reason Raja is leaving is Vega did not deliver on that target, while Raja wanted to go back to R700 and Cypress bang for buck days.

I think the decision to go with HBM2 runs counter to that, unless you think Raja was naive enough to believe that HBM2 was viable in a midrange product and potentially in downmarket as the tech matured/production ramped. I do think AMD bet super hard on that... but they were moving on it as a high-end product. If Samsung had delivered 1.5 GT/s HBM2... if the whole primitive shader/DSBR gimmick had worked (whatever that ends up being in terms of driver/hardware fixes)... they probably would have smoked the 1080 Ti. This is a story where the design fell apart at every seam and is delivering 30-50% of what it was supposed to. They went flagship-first, they bet hard and had no plan B (in terms of overbuilt/"wasted" die), and they faceplanted. At the end of the day some of the stuff like "do we spend an extra 15mm^2 on spare memory controller" comes down to leadership calls.

Somebody gets to fall on the sword when the performance is 1/3 of its design spec when your competitor is exceeding theirs.

I'm sure they were super hard up for devs... and once you are behind you are behind, it actually temporarily saps your productivity to read even a few newbies in let alone increase your team by a factor of 10 or whatever. And Raja was kinda hosed given the budget. But he's the guy who's got to say "I need more". And... it probably doesn't speak well of his leadership overall that he wasn't able to pull it together even given an extra 11 months.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 8, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You know you hosed up when.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, is it really loving up when you leave AMD to go to Intel? Raja's experience will help Intel with Nervana _at least_.

Semiaccurate weighs in on AMD + Intel: https://semiaccurate.com/2017/11/06/intel-gpus-officially-dont-work-amd-rescue/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, is it really loving up when you leave AMD to go to Intel? Raja's experience will help Intel with Nervana _at least_.

Semiaccurate weighs in on AMD + Intel: https://semiaccurate.com/2017/11/06/intel-gpus-officially-dont-work-amd-rescue/

"That brings us to the most interesting bit, what OEMs have been telling SemiAccurate that about Intel’s pitch for Kaby-G."

That is the last paragraph, but I'm not even sure it qualifies as a sentence or a complete thought...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Because that's where the paywall cut off the rest of the article.

repiv posted:

Have they given any hints as to the interconnect they're using? Is it just an on-package PCIe connection or something more elaborate?

Finally found the question to reply to: That semiaccurate article says PCIe from CPU to GPU, EMIB from GPU to HBM.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 8, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Because that's where the paywall cut off the rest of the article.

Yeah but the second "that" isn't even correct grammar. They expect me to pay for that lousy editing? :colbert:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So Intel just got a license to use Polaris and poached Raja? :lol:

Kyle Bennett said Raja was really pushing to sell RTG to Intel... which I guess is starting to sound a little more plausible right now.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think the decision to go with HBM2 runs counter to that, unless you think Raja was naive enough to believe that HBM2 was viable in a midrange product and potentially in downmarket as the tech matured/production ramped. I do think AMD bet super hard on that... but they were moving on it as a high-end product. If Samsung had delivered 1.5 GT/s HBM2... if the whole primitive shader/DSBR gimmick had worked (whatever that ends up being in terms of driver/hardware fixes)... they probably would have smoked the 1080 Ti. This is a story where the design fell apart at every seam and is delivering 30-50% of what it was supposed to. They went flagship-first, they bet hard and had no plan B (in terms of overbuilt/"wasted" die), and they faceplanted. At the end of the day some of the stuff like "do we spend an extra 15mm^2 on spare memory controller" comes down to leadership calls.

Somebody gets to fall on the sword when the performance is 1/3 of its design spec when your competitor is exceeding theirs.

I'm sure they were super hard up for devs... and once you are behind you are behind, it actually temporarily saps your productivity to read even a few newbies in let alone increase your team by a factor of 10 or whatever. And Raja was kinda hosed given the budget. But he's the guy who's got to say "I need more". And... it probably doesn't speak well of his leadership overall that he wasn't able to pull it together even given an extra 11 months.

I guess? Kyle's article on the whole thing seems to paint a picture of Raja being this rogue who wanted ATI back and free reign to make his own design decisions. He also spoke of backwards thinking on Koduri's part as well, maybe in a nostalgia sense but also implying Koduri saw the CPU side as some albatross that had no vision, hopefully cutting the tether and sailing away with the GPU division and all its IP. Kind of indicates to me that he was sure of and/or satisfied in the design of Polaris and Vega, so he own their failure as products, and indicates to me that all of the GPU divisions decisions since Fiji have been his. So Either Greenland was some spectacular galactic dumpster fire that it took them an additional 11 months to launch or Raja put priority on trying to recapture the old HD 4870 magic.

It all kind of backfired though; Raja is gone and Lisa has control of all of RTG now. Yeah, he's jumping ship to Intel like he threatened years ago, but with uh, what exactly? Intel hasn't gotten a single bit of IP, and Intel has no plans to release dGPUs. So what he's going to twiddle his thumbs on loving KL iterations? This isn't some prelude to RTG being bought by Intel because that is just not happening, that's suicide for AMD and they know it.

Paul MaudDib posted:

So Intel just got a license to use Polaris and poached Raja? :lol:

Kyle Bennett said Raja was really pushing to sell RTG to Intel... which I guess is starting to sound a little more plausible right now.

No license at all, rather Intel is taking orders for custom Polaris chips (they're not Vega apparently, but a fork just like the XBOneX). That's it, no transfer of IP at all.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 8, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

It all kind of backfired though; Raja is gone and Lisa has control of all of RTG now. Yeah, he's jumping ship to Intel like he threatened years ago, but with uh, what exactly? Intel hasn't gotten a single bit of IP, and Intel has no plans to release dGPUs. So what he's going to twiddle his thumbs on loving KL iterations? This isn't some prelude to RTG being bought by Intel because that is just not happening, that's suicide for AMD and they know it.

You just missed where I said that Intel is poaching Raja most likely to put him to work on Nervana. You know, Xeon Phi, which are basically GPGPU compute cards in all but name? That's where Intel is probably going to put him to work fighting against Nvidia's compute monopoly

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 8, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I think, for Raja, this is just a situation where all the pieces have fallen into place for him to keep working and actually continue upwards, regardless of his actual performance at (ostensibly) running a PC gaming graphics brand. He's got the HBM, compute and integration know-how which Intel lacks - and in some sub-areas straight up desperately lack.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This whole thing is some bizarre Game Of Thrones poo poo. So is this all basically a grudge from the ATI days? If I have the chain of events right...

• He's old-guard ATI, he wanted ATI to go to get picked up by Intel instead of AMD, then hosed off to Apple for a couple years
  • Comes back in 2013, picked a fight for command of RTG, tried and failed to get it spinned off
  • Put out a couple mediocre processors, gets disenchanted with AMD's continued lack of interest in giving RTG what it needs
  • Made a deal to sell Radeon chips to Intel
  • Fucks off to India to make a VR movie with his cousin during much of the leadup to Vega's launch
  • After Vega bombs, he's put on "administrative leave" so to speak, pending his resignation
  • He goes and finds another job, which is Intel, and he will be doing... Knight's Landing?

Like... what? My brain is full of gently caress :psyduck:

So has he been deliberately halfassing it/sandbagging, and/or sabotaging AMD from the inside? Does making a very strange deal with Intel and then joining Intel really not raise any questions of ethics/fiduciary responsibility? I kinda have a hard time believing he really had AMD's best interests at heart, one potential interpretation here is that he has been wrecking ever since he got back...

I guess it's no wonder he got fired-ish then, Su has to be fuming mad about this whole thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 8, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cant wait for larrabee 2: koduri boogaloo

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Also, Raja has already been replaced by Scott Herkelman apparently. I have no idea who the gently caress that is, but Kyle Bennett says he's an excellent replacement, and well Kyle's crystal ball seems to loving work.

EDIT: I don't think there was any kind of sabotage on Koduri's part. It'd make him extremely poisonous to hire, and I don't think Intel would want that kind of liability.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 9, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kyle Bennett went to the Himalayas to find enlightment after he transformed into a salt statue for Netburst

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Intel to Develop Discrete GPUs, Hires Raja Koduri as Chief Architect

repiv posted:

cant wait for larrabee 2: koduri boogaloo

dreams do come true

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This has been the most buck wild week of GPU news

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
This works in any situation, lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What the everloving gently caress is this timeline.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What the heck

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if I want a GPU with blue LEDs... they're really harsh at night time.

Does this mean they might be able to put out their first discrete GPU products at 10nm?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

FaustianQ posted:

It's me guys, I'm the one who used up the monkeys paw.

FaustianQ posted:

Look man if I am stuck in this dumpster fire reality made only of the wrong choices on the probability tree I demand it at least entertain me.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Zero VGS posted:

I don't know if I want a GPU with blue LEDs... they're really harsh at night time.

Does this mean they might be able to put out their first discrete GPU products at 10nm?

All LEDS are terrible and shouldn't be allowed on computers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Raja got a big pay day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I’m so confused