Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Coydog posted:

What's everyone's read on the bars, as well as the height. I've never had what could be rally height bars before. Should I lower them back down or try to find a taller seat?

If you want the bar a smidgen lower, try simply rotating it downwards in the clamp. (Then rotate the hand controls upwards so they're all facing you again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They seem pretty drat sensible to me

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
flip them over for that cafe racer look on the cheap!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I washed my DRZ. I realized that it probably won't be above 70 for a while and I haven't washed it since sometime last year, so today was a good day to squeeze that in.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slide Hammer posted:

If you want the bar a smidgen lower, try simply rotating it downwards in the clamp. (Then rotate the hand controls upwards so they're all facing you again)

I've got it as far as possible without it getting all wonky :(

Slim Pickens posted:

flip them over for that cafe racer look on the cheap!

I want to do this and post it to ADVrider just to see how angry everyone gets.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

They seem pretty drat sensible to me

I'll give them more of a chance, then!

Deeters posted:

I washed my DRZ. I realized that it probably won't be above 70 for a while and I haven't washed it since sometime last year, so today was a good day to squeeze that in.
I washed the DR recently and was shocked at how good it looked. I'm not sure it's ever been washed. Poor dirtbikes, they live up to their name by never getting clean.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog why do you need validation about your handlebars? Like how can internet people give you better information than your own limbs on this?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
:justpost:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Coydog why do you need validation about your handlebars? Like how can internet people give you better information than your own limbs on this?

As if you could give me anything except the opposite of validation, oval office.

What I meant is that the bars are kinda high and I'm extremely picky but maybe someone would say "oh yeah all the x bike riders use that height and you get used to it" or "nah man thats way too high for a bar to be, and you need to get on low barring". Or something like that.

But also don't hate me for wanting validation because internet validation is still something and life is hard you know

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Since Halloween is over and it already snowed it is now officially Christmas. In honor of the holiday I decided to turn my bike into a luxury business card for adventure dentists an ornament commemorating the cold cold winter it is about to enjoy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

As if you could give me anything except the opposite of validation, oval office.

What I meant is that the bars are kinda high and I'm extremely picky but maybe someone would say "oh yeah all the x bike riders use that height and you get used to it" or "nah man thats way too high for a bar to be, and you need to get on low barring". Or something like that.

But also don't hate me for wanting validation because internet validation is still something and life is hard you know

The best bars are the ones where you don't feel uncomfortable or tired after using them and can operate the bike competently.

FWIW my sherpa had very similar looking fatty bars on it with the associated risers and I preferred it over the factory setup, it felt like I had better control in the fast corners (where it would cheerfully skip and wobble the front wheel when you pushed hard enough) because my forearms would be perfectly horizontal in a crouch.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Ride standing up. Treat every commute as if it’s Dakar. That’s not gps, it’s a roadbook and you’ve just passed bam bam.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Since Halloween is over and it already snowed it is now officially Christmas. In honor of the holiday I decided to turn my bike into a luxury business card for adventure dentists an ornament commemorating the cold cold winter it is about to enjoy.

That’s a good ornament.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MX bars with a crossbrace or nothing!

That’s completely an aesthetic thing but I love the way crossbraces look and can’t bring myself to use fatbars despite them probably being objectively better.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

The best bars are the ones where you don't feel uncomfortable or tired after using them and can operate the bike competently.

FWIW my sherpa had very similar looking fatty bars on it with the associated risers and I preferred it over the factory setup, it felt like I had better control in the fast corners (where it would cheerfully skip and wobble the front wheel when you pushed hard enough) because my forearms would be perfectly horizontal in a crouch.

After riding around more these are straight up painful. I shifted them back a bit and it's better, but I'm gonna just put stock height mounts on the bike and bring things back to stock ergos. :( But you make some good points and I appreciate your perspective on this.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

MX bars with a crossbrace or nothing!

That’s completely an aesthetic thing but I love the way crossbraces look and can’t bring myself to use fatbars despite them probably being objectively better.

I hate the cross brace, and think it clutters things up. Even when I had 7/8 bars on the SV, I removed the cross brace. It's subjective, though, for sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It comes from being motocross obsessed as a kid in the 90’s. Most of my life decisions can be quantified with “what would Jeremy McGrath do”

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

After riding around more these are straight up painful. I shifted them back a bit and it's better, but I'm gonna just put stock height mounts on the bike and bring things back to stock ergos. :( But you make some good points and I appreciate your perspective on this.

I hate the cross brace, and think it clutters things up. Even when I had 7/8 bars on the SV, I removed the cross brace. It's subjective, though, for sure.

ProCycle sells handlebar relocator hardware. Maybe there's something in there that would help. Maybe offset risers?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It comes from being motocross obsessed as a kid in the 90’s. Most of my life decisions can be quantified with “what would Jeremy McGrath do”

Fair, but have you considered flexx bars? https://www.fasstco.com/products/flexx-handlebar

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have not considered $360 handlebars, no lmao

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have not considered $360 handlebars, no lmao

Free for McGrath 'cause he's sponsored. :colbert:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

builds character posted:

That’s a good ornament.

Thanks. Screwing around with a few styles. Who has a layer dan in their life with a christmas tree that has yet to express peak freedom?

Gotta move the stars over more and unfuck the engraving toolpath

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Don't; those are the rays of the freedum-sun. Or bullet trails.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Figured I'd change the oil in my Grom before the winter gets here and I can't be bothered.

Also swapped out the stock clutch springs/plate for some heavier ones.

Not too much poo poo on the screen but also it's a 125 so how much could it really make.

Stock clutch and oil spinner if anyone was curious about Grom innards.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slide Hammer posted:

Don't; those are the rays of the freedum-sun. Or bullet trails.

This checks out.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

oil spinner

Don't tell me that the Grom engine is so basic, that it doesn't even have an oil pump.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Buhbuhj posted:

Figured I'd change the oil in my Grom before the winter gets here and I can't be bothered.

Also swapped out the stock clutch springs/plate for some heavier ones.

Not too much poo poo on the screen but also it's a 125 so how much could it really make.

Stock clutch and oil spinner if anyone was curious about Grom innards.

That's neat! I did want to see that, actually, as I'll have to do it myself sometime. I still think the oil spinner is the worst dumbest thing, and can't understand why honda wouldn't use an oil filter. I'd get a kitaco clutch cover, but I just spent 200 on a seat and 70 on a headlight and 275 on a high output stator and oh god it's bleeding me dry.

The seat is totally worth it and fantastic, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

That's neat! I did want to see that, actually, as I'll have to do it myself sometime. I still think the oil spinner is the worst dumbest thing, and can't understand why honda wouldn't use an oil filter. I'd get a kitaco clutch cover, but I just spent 200 on a seat and 70 on a headlight and 275 on a high output stator and oh god it's bleeding me dry.

The seat is totally worth it and fantastic, though.

The oil spinner works just fine for the highest selling motor vehicle of all time that the grom engine is derived from.

They don't use a filter because the service interval is so short and the engine so low powered that there isn't much to accumulate in the oil to even bother with a filter. Most ~125cc bikes and scooters just have a screen.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd be interested to know more about what it's based on, as well as your experience with them. I've heard people at meets say "oh it's based on an old honda engine" but never what it was based on exactly. I also didn't know they brought the oil spinner design over from that.

Intervals are pretty normal at 2500 miles, but they might have been shorter in whatever it was based on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is based on the SOHC super cub/postie but with a normal gearbox instead of the auto slipper 3 speed setup posties have. Locally at least, posties have a service interval of 3,000km but you could easily push that to 4-4.5 and have no issues whatsoever. They're the closest you can get to a corolla with two wheels, I've seen them run with about 100ml of oil and have no issues. It's also something you see on really ancient air cooled traillies that have no power but keep trucking despite the farmer's best efforts.

Basically if the entire engine is running roller bearings you don't actually need oil pressure at all, you just need oil to be present in the vicinity of the bearings. Harley engines are probably the single best example of this as they'll happily run at ~5psi because there isn't a single pressure lubed bearing anywhere. And when they put one in (camshafts on twincam) they got bearing failure like clockwork every 30,000-odd km. The only reason you have high pressure pumps that can't ever be starved is because modern high performance (compared to the 60's) engines have a lot of plain bearings everywhere that can't survive without a pressurised film of oil keeping things from touching eachother.

Fun fact: old husqvarnas had a 4 stroke derived from a 2t bottom end. The oil sump was in the gearbox (separate to the crank case cause 2t) and they had a reverse reed joining the crankcase to the gearbox. Eventually blowby pressure would build up in the crank case and bleed into the gearbox via the reed. Then there was an oil line running from the bottom of the 'box to the head, that slight over-pressure was enough to drive oil uphill and into the head wherein it would trickle back down into the crank-case and the cycle could begin again.

e: and while I'm here why the gently caress not post this which I got to work/on ride recently:

The only difference I could see compared to a modern postie engine is no efi and philips screws instead of 8mm hex for the covers.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 9, 2017

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

The only difference I could see compared to a modern postie engine is no efi and philips screws instead of 8mm hex for the covers.

:kiddo: oh my god it's adorable. I want one. I'd look like a gorilla on a tricycle but I give no fucks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slide Hammer posted:

Don't tell me that the Grom engine is so basic, that it doesn't even have an oil pump.

The Honda horizontal engines usually have one to get oil to the head, but the bottom end is all splashing all the time.

Lets also remember that Honda horizontal engines are the best selling engine in human history. There are very few engineering gotchas left in those motors.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Can't see it in that image but yes there's also a very small oil pump beneath the spinner. If you do big bore or just want to wheelie all day there are aftermarket ones available, as well as lightweight spinners.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tonight, I rode 2.5 hours round trip so someone could trade their brand new Seat Concepts Tall/Rally seat for my worn out corbin I got for $125. It's blown my mind in every way. The KTM bend bars and 1inch rise that were uncomfortable the other day just fell perfectly into place with the new seat. My legs are unbent and supremely comfortable, and I can actually grip tank. I love it.

The best part is that I'm sitting on the bike instead of in it, now, and it looks and feels like an agressive enduro while riding. I found myself cornering sumo style on the way home. It's amazing.

Slavvy posted:

This is so fascinating thank you.

Seriously, that was really cool to read. Thanks for elaborating. Ironically I loath how those trail 70s and other monkey bikes look. But clearly they are good machines. I love how every time someone brings up an engine with roller bearings (like the DR), they are like "It needs *some* oil of *eh* consistancy changed at *an* interval, and it will be fine".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The way I think of it is: your gearbox is running exclusively rollers/low pressure bushes and makes do pretty well with flicking and wicking and it isn't even dedicated gear oil on most bikes, so there's no reason the engine can't do the same.

This also explains why hyosung 250's are able to be a quad cam v-twin with like a 1L oil capacity and still be pretty reliable (QC issues aside). Roller bearing cams.

Also re: monkey bikes, what they have over your grom is those little quick-release knobs at the base of the bars, the bars can swing down so the whole thing can fit in the back of your wagon.

They also have two clutches in one: a centripedal one for taking off/disengaging at a stop, and a multiplate for changing gears. The gear shifter pawl has a second arm sticking out the side which pushes on a roller-style release plate (adjusted by the nut and screw you can see sticking out the side there) so the clutch disengages just before the dogs start moving. It looks horrible when you see it, and it's a oval office to assemble unless you lay the bike on it's side, but it works really really well.

That stamped steel ramping plate in the middle has 3 balls in a cage that sit in the depressions and butt up against the inside of the engine cover, when you change gear the arm turns the plate 1/3rd of a turn and that disengages the clutch. You can see the grom's lineage pretty easily here.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Good idea or great idea?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that some sort of tubeless knobby? I don't understand.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Good idea or great idea?

Will it kill you if it fails -> yes -> bad idea
|
V
No
|
V
Best idea

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Is that some sort of tubeless knobby? I don't understand.

Tubliss 2.0 system with trials tire. Runnin 6 PSI for this weekends race, which is of the greatest and best format:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How do you like those tubliss thingies? I've had zero contact with them personally but everyone I know who's tried them really likes them.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

How do you like those tubliss thingies? I've had zero contact with them personally but everyone I know who's tried them really likes them.

They're not half as good as bib mousse, but as long as you don't puncture a tire in the line of duty you can run down to 4psi. Tire changes are much easier too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just set valve clearances on the DR350. Exhaust were in spec, but a little tight (.004, where .003 to .005 is spec). Intake were way loose, .006 and .007, where .002 to .004 is spec. I put them back at .004.

What would cause intakes to get so loose? I thought valves usually tightened themselves over time. What should I expect the next time I ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It has screw type adjusters right? Those often go looser cause the screw foot part and rocker pivot etc are getting pounded.