Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

Is this the ironic contrarian BvS/Suicide Squad was achktually good thread? BvS is dogshit, and SS was one of the worst major studio releases of the last decade.

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Suicide Squad is an odd duck. There's definitely a good movie in there somewhere, and obviously the majority of the cast is having a good time, but as a whole it just does not gel in any way, shape or form. But there are so many decent moments and just enough weird poo poo that I can enjoy it.

Also, I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but holy poo poo do the re-shoots stick out like a sore thumb, like "Mara's wig on Fantastic Four" bad. Kinnaman, in particular, just looks gaunt in random scenes.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

josh04 posted:

Suicide Squad won an Oscar.

Wow a bunch of sex predators and liberals called the set design outstanding, it was a good movie after all

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Is this the ironic contrarian BvS/Suicide Squad was achktually good thread? BvS is dogshit, and SS was one of the worst major studio releases of the last decade.

CineD is sacred land for BvS, Transformers and the prequel trilogy. I hope you enjoy your stay.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

Wow a bunch of sex predators and liberals called the set design outstanding, it was a good movie after all

It was actually makeup and hairstyling, buster!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

CineD is sacred land for BvS, Transformers and the prequel trilogy. I hope you enjoy your stay.

If only we weren't so persecuted everywhere else!

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

josh04 posted:

Suicide Squad won an Oscar.

big, if true

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Correct!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

K. Waste posted:

I have good news, then: Beavis has both.

For some definition of "good," I suppose it tries.

josh04 posted:

Have you considered reading books?

Have you?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ah, I'm being a jerk, sorry. I just meant that, given the visual aspect of films is the unique part, it's valid to enjoy a movie even if it scuffs up the plot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black Bones posted:

Suicide Sqwad rules so hard. I like it better than beavis, which is also extremely good. Sincerely.

Please. It's spelled "Skwad".

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

RBA Starblade posted:

Please. It's spelled "Skwad".

Maybe at your Hot Topic, but I shop at Spencer's Gifts

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Black Bones posted:

Maybe at your Hot Topic, but I shop at Spencer's Gifts

Ah, big fan of weed and novelty dicks eh?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Who isn't?

For real though, I enjoy how tame "naughty" stuff is. I'm not gonna wear it, but it's existence makes me glad for some reason. Teenaged nostalgia probably.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 8, 2017

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

While you jerked it hard when you learnt LoTR won13

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
shut up, Beavis

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Timby posted:

Suicide Squad is an odd duck. There's definitely a good movie in there somewhere, and obviously the majority of the cast is having a good time, but as a whole it just does not gel in any way, shape or form. But there are so many decent moments and just enough weird poo poo that I can enjoy it.

I felt like this movie got hacked to bits in the editing room. There could've been a good movie in there somewhere, but none of that is really evident in the movie we got. The first twenty minutes of the film is one character vignette after the other - it's an absolute chore to get through. Beavis looks like Citizen Kane compared to that movie, personally.

On the topic of Justice League, I found this article to be quite interesting:

The Guardian posted:

For those tired of the fighting, I have good news: a new trailer for Batman v Superman follow-up Justice League suggests this long and painful conflict might finally be entering its endgame. For there can be little point in taking sides when the tonal distinction between Marvel and DC movies has become almost non-existent...

And yet there is a danger that Marvel’s blueprint for success has now become so popular that audiences are unable to accept a superhero movie that does not wear its comedy superpowers on both sleeves. To a casual observer not versed in the difference between DC and Marvel’s films, Wonder Woman was also tonally indistinguishable from a Marvel episode.

URL: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/31/why-all-superheroes-look-the-same-marvel-dc-justice-league

I do think that The Guardian has a point - part of the DCCU's appeal, to me, was that it was trying to do something different with the mythos - but now it seems like WB is playing chicken and conceding to pressure. Everything I've seen regarding this movie is completely different in tone from the past DCCU movies, and it's jarring, to say the least.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jonny_Rocket posted:

URL: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/31/why-all-superheroes-look-the-same-marvel-dc-justice-league

I do think that The Guardian has a point - part of the DCCU's appeal, to me, was that it was trying to do something different with the mythos - but now it seems like WB is playing chicken and conceding to pressure. Everything I've seen regarding this movie is completely different in tone from the past DCCU movies, and it's jarring, to say the least.

quote:

...meat-headed, heavy-metal film-making of Dawn of Justice...

What does that even mean?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

part of the DCCU's appeal, to me, was that it was trying to do something different with the mythos -

This I don't get at all. Nothing in MoS or BvS is different. It's almost all from various existing Superman and Batman stories, sometimes shot-for-shot. Even things like Batman shooting KGBeast is a homage to the Dark Knight Returns. If that was the appeal for you then the DCCU failed miserably because it's got very little new ideas.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Snyder did a good job of selling MoS with his Terrence Malick trailers, but if you watched the movie without knowing the trailers, it'd probably feel a lot like more of the same.

e: David Goyer also deserves a lot of the blame for the shittiness of Warn Bros movies. Unfortunately they keep getting the job.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 8, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jimbot posted:

That Zack Snyder is handsome and has amazing biceps.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

This I don't get at all. Nothing in MoS or BvS is different. It's almost all from various existing Superman and Batman stories, sometimes shot-for-shot. Even things like Batman shooting KGBeast is a homage to the Dark Knight Returns. If that was the appeal for you then the DCCU failed miserably because it's got very little new ideas.

It is different from the Marvel formula, not different from the source material.

Ironically, one of the main criticisms towards the films is that it wasn't faithful enough to the source material.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jimbot posted:

"I don't like this."

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It is different from the Marvel formula, not different from the source material.

Yes, exactly my point.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I don't really buy it. Wonder Woman and JL were always going to be tonally different than their predecessors, as the former is intended as an uplifting, inspirational tale and the latter is a synthesis between many individuals, rather than MoS or BvS, which were about tormented dudes confronting their demons.

By and large and with few exceptions, Marvel movies are overproduced, sterilized pop culture nuggets intended for mass consumption. They're film media delivered through an autotuner. DC's offerings, while stumbling in execution, aim for a darker and grittier tone and an atmosphere that doesn't automatically discount all possibility of failure. In this respect, I think it would be rather difficult to conflate even WW for a Marvel offering.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Habibi posted:

I don't really buy it. Wonder Woman and JL were always going to be tonally different than their predecessors, as the former is intended as an uplifting, inspirational tale and the latter is a synthesis between many individuals, rather than MoS or BvS, which were about tormented dudes confronting their demons.

By and large and with few exceptions, Marvel movies are overproduced, sterilized pop culture nuggets intended for mass consumption. They're film media delivered through an autotuner. DC's offerings, while stumbling in execution, aim for a darker and grittier tone and an atmosphere that doesn't automatically discount all possibility of failure. In this respect, I think it would be rather difficult to conflate even WW for a Marvel offering.

I'll have the mass consumption Big Mac rather than the gritty poo poo Sandwich on moldy bread, please.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I'll have the mass consumption Big Mac rather than the gritty poo poo Sandwich on moldy bread, please.

It's better if you wash it down with a jar of piss

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it sucks this has to be a big ol avengers-thing because goddamn I'd have loved a straight-up standalone Batman film by Zack Snyder. The imagery and elements in BvS paired with just one character story would have been fantastic. I can't even begin to imagine how insane batman villains would be sans the loving dumb Joker we were given.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Habibi posted:

lmao

I too want my children's movies to be dark, gritty, down to earth, but also swarming with magic robots because I'm incapable of understanding the world except through mass media and aligning myself with brands

Imagine this guy at parties, or deciding coke vs pepsi

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Clearly you never saw Watership Down.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I still don't really get what's up with Lex Luthor in Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice. From what I remember:

1) He thinks Superman is a fake God because God can't be all powerful and all good (and this also how he sees his dad(?))
2) He thinks "devils come from the sky," so he also thinks Superman is a devil, but also knows about Darkseid and thinks he's a devil too (but kind of wants to ally with him?)
3) He decides to get Batman to take out Superman which will either prove he's not all powerful (because Batman kills him) or not all good (because he kills Batman (not sure how this would work if Superman's just defending himself...))
4) He also blows up Congress to make Superman look bad (?) (But by successfully blowing it up didn't he prove Superman isn't all powerful already?)
5) If Batman fails he'll just kill him with Doomsday
6) I won't even get into how much I didn't understand the Africa bullet thing but I feel that's ultimately neither here nor there

Is this correct?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's just stupid and they utterly ruined Lex Luthor for their cinematic universe. Same with Joker. They should just mulligan.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

porfiria posted:

I still don't really get what's up with Lex Luthor in Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice. From what I remember:

1) He thinks Superman is a fake God because God can't be all powerful and all good (and this also how he sees his dad(?))
2) He thinks "devils come from the sky," so he also thinks Superman is a devil, but also knows about Darkseid and thinks he's a devil too (but kind of wants to ally with him?)
3) He decides to get Batman to take out Superman which will either prove he's not all powerful (because Batman kills him) or not all good (because he kills Batman (not sure how this would work if Superman's just defending himself...))
4) He also blows up Congress to make Superman look bad (?) (But by successfully blowing it up didn't he prove Superman isn't all powerful already?)
5) If Batman fails he'll just kill him with Doomsday
6) I won't even get into how much I didn't understand the Africa bullet thing but I feel that's ultimately neither here nor there

Is this correct?

Lex Luthor is a rich fuckhead who has never faced consequences for anything, and can't stand the existence of anyone who won't debase themselves to his money. All the sophistry is just about how up himself he is. There's no real meaning to his dilemma that he sets up other than that he gets off on manipulating the most powerful being on the planet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's just stupid and they utterly ruined Lex Luthor for their cinematic universe. Same with Joker. They should just mulligan.

Nah, it's not "just stupid". They tried something new and gave him a bunch of psychological problems and made him "clever" in that self-satisfied smug tech bro way. It largely works if you accept it on its own terms.

The key is realizing that he's obfuscating his real motives 99% of the time, just yammering on making puns and references and subjecting people to a blizzard of bullshit. The scene at the party where he starts to actually describe what he really thinks and then trails off and looks scared is evidence of that. You realize that Luthor was abused as a child, this makes him feel weak and powerless, and so when a truly powerful being comes along it snaps his mind. When he meets with Superman face-to-face he's the "real" Luthor, by which I mean he's actually saying what he truly believes. I enjoy the scene because Luthor is 100% right in his own sad way. For example, he says that God can not be all-powerful and all-good, and chooses to believe that Superman is thus not good, not realizing that his logic is right but his conclusions are wrong - Superman *is* all-good, but he's not all-powerful. His other contention is that God chooses sides, when Superman has deliberately been trying to NOT choose sides (that's why he only deals with natural disasters) and be a Universal figure (and failing). That's where Snyder plays the Jesus angle, Superman can only become a universal figure of hope and redemption and all that stuff by dying for all of us.

Luther is obsessed with people's perception of Superman as a Good God, and so his plan is to force Superman to rip Batman's head off, thus exposing him to the world as a Bad God (the Devil, in other words). Failing that, he's going to unleash Doomsday to kill Superman because, like all versions of Lex Luthor, he gambles the world on insane plots to destroy the Man of Steel, whose power he is insanely jealous of.

The Africa bullet thing is Lex Luthor being a sociopath and using his experimental bullets on live humans in Africa and other far-flung nations because he deduces (correctly!) that his flacks at the DoD will stonewall any investigation.

I hope this helps.

Edit: you can also read it like josh04 although I think the movie takes pains to give him some actual motive for his behavior beyond "dilettante"

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 9, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He still does not work as Luthor. I feel the actor would have worked better as Jimmy Olsen.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 9, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
All you gotta know about any incarnation of Lex Luthor is that the basic character is a dude hiding his massive inferiority complex under a thick layer of superiority complex.

Everything else follows from that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

All you gotta know about any incarnation of Lex Luthor is that the basic character is a dude hiding his massive inferiority complex under a thick layer of superiority complex.

Everything else follows.

And he is very petty.

Also Bald.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

WRONG!!!
\

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

josh04 posted:

WRONG!!!
\

Was honestly not a huge fan of his portrayal ether. (Though I believe he is stated as wearing a wig in universe)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I mean, originally Luthor's beef with Superman was because Superboy caused an accident that made Luthor bald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean, originally Luthor's beef with Superman was because Superboy caused an accident that made Luthor bald.

Granny's Hair Tonic