Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

How on Earth would it be a positive move for Blum, though? He's Hollywood's golden boy right now, there's no way he'd slum it trying to reboot Universal's poisonous reboot.

I mean, he'd have access to the literal most iconic horror characters of all time, and Universal's in a position with this where if he went "okay let's scrap literally everything that already exists and just do it my way" they'd probably accept. It wouldn't even be the first time he's picked up a languishing, yet iconic franchise to try and revitalize it- we've got a Halloween remake coming from Blumhouse next year, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, the thing is, the old Universal movies were a shared universe already. We already had crossover movies and guest features and everything in between. It's the idea that you simultaneously have movies that "don't count" in the canon (in the case of stuff like that Dracula movie it's just because they straight up didn't work and nobody liked them), and you launched the universe with a Mummy movie... that people are unsure if it's supposed to be like a remake of a Karloff thing or Brendan Frasier reboot... Jekyll is in it for some reason and he's the one with the secret society of monster studying guys...

Then you get Tom Cruise to play some dude named like "Nick Morton"? The gently caress? And at the end he's the god of death I guess? Or another Mummy? The titular Mummy was also probably only a woman to break up the sausage fest of the rest of the creatures classically being dudes. It's just a loving mess.

\/\/\/ Russell Crowe is routinely pretty good, but the casting choices and the way the launched the thing was bogus as gently caress. Dracula Untold at least had the right idea without Thanos popping up in the credits for a stinger or whatever. Make a decent standalone movie, then explore from that space. I really don't get how they missed Van Helsing as a potential jumping off point. It's true that nobody liked the Hugh Jackman vehicle, but at the same time they don't seem to care about other movies using the characters and names anyway.

E: What I'm saying is maybe they should've watched Penny Dreadful. That brings together classic monsters in a much more fun, pulpy way.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 8, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Russel Crowe was good too, as dr chaos

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I can't say I've seen either of the booting attempts, but the Brendan Frasier Mummy was the perfect amount of fun that would work for say a wolf-man, or a Frankenstein.

I think the bigger issue is that they want to release several movies per year, vs having it revolve around a central set of characters encountering the monsters.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
League of Extraordinary Gentleman is a better Dark Universe movie than The Mummy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I don't even have a problem with the basics of the idea they had; turning the Universal Monsters into superheroes is the exact type of thing that's just batshit enough to work, if competent people had been handed the reins.

Unfortunately, they handed the reins to the most incompetent loving baboons they could find, and we got Dracula Untold and The Mummy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I want the Dark Universe because it's just the kind of stupid that should be a lot of fun.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Even if Dracula Untold was tepid and lovely, it's greasy as gently caress to not have Evans in a nice suit in that Dark Universe cast picture. I didn't even like the movie, but they should probably stand by their first entry and maybe make a better sequel or something. The idea of Crowe, Cruise, Bardem, Depp, etc. in one universe sounds cool and fun, especially if you can pull in some other talent that isn't currently wearing spandex for Disney. The potential is there, but constantly backsliding away from their plans just makes them look real bad.

That being said, it was wasted. Dracula should be the Thanos of Dark Universe.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Firstborn posted:

Even if Dracula Untold was tepid and lovely, it's greasy as gently caress to not have Evans in a nice suit in that Dark Universe cast picture. I didn't even like the movie, but they should probably stand by their first entry and maybe make a better sequel or something. The idea of Crowe, Cruise, Bardem, Depp, etc. in one universe sounds cool and fun, especially if you can pull in some other talent that isn't currently wearing spandex for Disney. The potential is there, but constantly backsliding away from their plans just makes them look real bad.

That being said, it was wasted. Dracula should be the Thanos of Dark Universe.

I'm guessing they're just trying to make it too dark and edgy instead of going for the tone of the Brendan Frasier Mummy

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Also Dracula was like 2014... then we get the Mummy.. then the next movie planned for 2019. Why even bother connecting them
Ok that's enough words about the Dark Universe. I'm a huge fan of the Hammer films, and I just needed to vent I guess.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the first thing you think of when you think of Dracula

uhhh... dragons????

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Dracul has been translated as "dragon" at times. He was also in the "Order of the Dragon".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

uhhh... dragons????

This kind of works, actually, but it needs a little historical context and/or knowledge of etymology.

Vlad III, the Wallachian voivode also known as Vlad the Impaler, was sometimes known by the sobriquet Dracula, or "son of Dracul." His father was Vlad II, or Dracul, who received that name as a result of membership in the Order of the Dragon.

e: if I'm going to be honest I mostly remember the Order of the Dragon thing because Iced Earth's Dracula song references it :v: It also loving rips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4snYxyejtw

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Overanalyzing it like that misses the point that most people think of Bella Lugosi Dracula through cultural osmosis alone.

EDIT:
The concept of vampires throughout film has mostly been aristocratic people who will steal your women and eat you.

EDIT 2:
It's a bit anachronistic these days with the Highway system, but before then road trips were scary (see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre), and it's a ripe setting to encounter a monster.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 8, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, the 1992 movie did the same thing with the dragon symbolism, iirc. It's not incompatible with the more standard Dracula stuff, and you almost kind of have to do it if you want to tie the character back to Vlad III.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, the 1992 movie did the same thing with the dragon symbolism, iirc. It's not incompatible with the more standard Dracula stuff, and you almost kind of have to do it if you want to tie the character back to Vlad III.

Yes, and the 1992 movie was great IMHO, it worked as part of a standalone adaption of the original story.

The character Dracula though is virtually a separate entity, it's really unnecessary if you're trying to make a new series of movies about Dracula.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Taintrunner posted:

uhhh... dragons????

Obviously, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQuihD0hoI

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Never having seen the Munsters, I always wondered how did Rob goddamned zombie misspelled "Dracula".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
There was an old PS1 (maybe PS2) where you raced and did tricks on snowmobiles. They used Dragula on the soundtrack and that poo poo was my jam when playing that game.

E: Sled Storm! That's the game

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Vincent posted:

Never having seen the Munsters, I always wondered how did Rob goddamned zombie misspelled "Dracula".

What does it have to do with the Munsters?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Dragula is the name of the drag racing car

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

feedmyleg posted:

Also how any person from a future generation who decides for whatever bizarre reason to watch The Mummy will have a moment of "what the hell is this?" when all the context is lost around the Dark Universe.

Most likely someone will have heard that The Mummy is a really fun campy movie from the turn of the century. Then accidentally watch the wrong The Mummy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ALFbrot posted:

Dragula is a car from The Munsters.

e: good lord I get ninja'd a lot in this thread :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ALFbrot posted:

Been ages since I seen the video, but the car he driving is the one from The Munsters.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They should make an Abhartach film seeing as he was probably one of the main inspirations for Dracula.

Abhartach, for those not in the know, was a warlord in ancient Ireland. He was a tyrant, a sorcerer and a dwarf. His tyranny was ended when a rival warlord called Cathrain ( or in some versions the legendary hero Fionn mac Cumhaill*) kills him. However it is not long until Abhartach rises from his grave and enacts an even greater reign of terror than ever before on his subjects even demanding a blood tax. he hero seeks the advice of a wise man, a druid in the older tales and a saint in the more recent ones, who tells him that the fiend will never fully die unless he runs it through with a wooden sword, buries the body with the head facing down and plants a hawthorn on the grave. He does this and the monster finally stays dead.

You could even get Gary Oldman to play the vampire.

*This is probably a latter bastardization caused by people confusing Abhartach with Ábartach a tricksterwho has some dealings with Fionn Mac Cumhaill.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FreudianSlippers posted:

They should make an Abhartach film seeing as he was probably one of the main inspirations for Dracula.

Abhartach, for those not in the know, was a warlord in ancient Ireland. He was a tyrant, a sorcerer and a dwarf. His tyranny was ended when a rival warlord called Cathrain ( or in some versions the legendary hero Fionn mac Cumhaill*) kills him. However it is not long until Abhartach rises from his grave and enacts an even greater reign of terror than ever before on his subjects even demanding a blood tax. he hero seeks the advice of a wise man, a druid in the older tales and a saint in the more recent ones, who tells him that the fiend will never fully die unless he runs it through with a wooden sword, buries the body with the head facing down and plants a hawthorn on the grave. He does this and the monster finally stays dead.

You could even get Gary Oldman to play the vampire.

*This is probably a latter bastardization caused by people confusing Abhartach with Ábartach a tricksterwho has some dealings with Fionn Mac Cumhaill.

Mods, change my name to Mac Cumhaill

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So did you think Robert Zombie meant to say that he slams Dracula from behind?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dracula is a top.

This is established in both the original novel and the stage play.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Obviously when Robert Zombie says "Islam in the back of my DRAGULA" he is referring to the fact that he is a devout Shia Muslim.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mr Zombie is my dad, please call me Bob. Do you mind if I burn like an animal?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If they make an Invisible Man movie starring Johnny Dep, guaranteed he would only turn invisible for the last 5 minutes of the movie

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Fried Watermelon posted:

If they make an Invisible Man movie starring Johnny Dep, guaranteed he would only turn invisible for the last 5 minutes of the movie

Well, in keeping with the superhero-movie trend they're trying to cling to, obviously the first Invisible Man would be his origin story.

The sequel is when he loses his powers during the first act and only gets them back after some soul-searching in time for the final battle (it's not the invisibility that's his power, it's determination! etc).

The third movie is when an impostor shows up and challenges his worldview and also the impostor is played by Johnny Depp so we kind of get TWO origin stories for the character and he can be on screen again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

He would wear a Darkman-esque fake skin.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I liked Rango, a movie where you didn't see Johnny Depp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

I liked Rango, a movie where you didn't see Johnny Depp.

They actually recorded all the dialog for the movie by having all the actors in the same room and acting it out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MacheteZombie posted:

Dragula is the name of the drag racing car

I was at amusement park last month and Butch Patrick was there signing autographs at $25 a pop. Unsurprisingly there was no one getting autographs. They'd walk close enough to read the sign with the pricing info and they'd promptly turn around.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MacheteZombie posted:

There was an old PS1 (maybe PS2) where you raced and did tricks on snowmobiles. They used Dragula on the soundtrack and that poo poo was my jam when playing that game.

E: Sled Storm! That's the game

There were a bunch of PS1 games that used Dragula on the soundtrack and I hated it. :argh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You know what's better than Dragula?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69KmroCfzSo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't say I've seen either of the booting attempts, but the Brendan Frasier Mummy was the perfect amount of fun that would work for say a wolf-man, or a Frankenstein.

I think the bigger issue is that they want to release several movies per year, vs having it revolve around a central set of characters encountering the monsters.

I always said the problem was making a "Mummy 2" instead of having Frasier, Weisz, and Hannah face off against a different monster.

That, and setting it ten years later and having Frasier and Weisz's characters have a kid.

Edit: Just announced, Christopher Plummer is reshooting all of Kevin Spacey's scenes in "All the Money in the World"

https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/928434850381553665

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

I always said the problem was making a "Mummy 2" instead of having Frasier, Weisz, and Hannah face off against a different monster.

... :aaaaa: HOW DID I ONLY JUST NOW FIND OUT THAT BATIATUS WAS IN THOSE MOVIES AS THE DOPEY SIDEKICK

• Locked thread