Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

He was retconned into the true rightful ruler, that he was burned is explained by him being more whimpy than his dad and not enduring the scorching flames for those extra seconds needed to get magically healed & anointed. This is the reasonable part, what is dumb is that the millennias of psychopathy, sadism, mass torture, brutal slavery and war of extermination, is wholly glossed over and ignored by the bulk of the players/factions.
When did Malekith become Illidan? When did Warhammer become World of Warcraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

Syncopated posted:

New Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn within 3 months of each other is pretty cool imo.

Wait, there's a new ghosts novel? How the gently caress did I miss that?!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

THE RAGGY posted:

Wait, there's a new ghosts novel? How the gently caress did I miss that?!

The Warmaster is finally coming out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After what, five years? Salvation's Reach was 2013, right?
E: holy poo poo it was 2011.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

It's probably a ~50 page novella and short story collection. Don't get too excited until we see some numbers.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Fellblade posted:

It's probably a ~50 page novella and short story collection. Don't get too excited until we see some numbers.

This is how I feel. There are only three Eisenhorn short stories. Two of which have been apart of the Omnibus, and the third one of the Black Library website only offerings for $2. Which means just about a page and a half of content.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Uh actually the Magos is going to be the size of the trilogy compendium, and involve Eisenhorn awakening the Emperor.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Zudgemud posted:

He was retconned into the true rightful ruler, that he was burned is explained by him being more whimpy than his dad and not enduring the scorching flames for those extra seconds needed to get magically healed & anointed. This is the reasonable part, what is dumb is that the millennias of psychopathy, sadism, mass torture, brutal slavery and war of extermination, is wholly glossed over and ignored by the bulk of the players/factions.

Eh, I think that's worse, I'd rather have characters with the defining trait "hubris" than "wussing out"

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
"Is Eisenhorn still a champion of the Throne, or has he been seduced by the very evil that he hunts?"

Well I don't know because I'm still waiting for the GODDAMN TRILOGY TO CONTINUE!!!!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dog_Meat posted:

"Is Eisenhorn still a champion of the Throne, or has he been seduced by the very evil that he hunts?"

Well I don't know because I'm still waiting for the GODDAMN TRILOGY TO CONTINUE!!!!
Well, Pariah suggested he's in cahoots with the Alpha Legion so clearly the answer is an unequivocal yes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MMAgCh posted:

Well, Pariah suggested he's in cahoots with the Alpha Legion so clearly the answer is an unequivocal yes.

Or is he?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/08/necromunda-classic-stories-new-editions/

I'm going to pick up the Kal Jerico Omnibus and comics (fan of the character) but i'm curious about The Redeemer comic and the mad donna novel survival instict. Has anyone here read either of them, or would recommend any of the other books?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Redeemer stuff is kind of like a cross between Judge Dredd and Adam West Batman, except instead of weird gadgets and corney sound effects there's chainblades and lots of fire.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's good to see Abnett back in the Warhammer horse but I wish he'd finish Pariah before starting a new series, even if it's Eisenhorn.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/08/necromunda-classic-stories-new-editions/

I'm going to pick up the Kal Jerico Omnibus and comics (fan of the character) but i'm curious about The Redeemer comic and the mad donna novel survival instict. Has anyone here read either of them, or would recommend any of the other books?

Oh now they decide to combine all of the Kal Jerico comics into one book. :mad: Last time around the only way you could get all the comics was via a Print on Demand omnibus that included all the novels too.
Because other than that you had the Underhive Bounty hunter collection, that didn't bother to include Kal's adventures with his Inquisitor mom against the Necrons.
Which pissed me off incredibly back then.

Haven't read any of the other Necromunda stories and even then the Kal Jerico books are iffy in quality and kinda weird in some regards from what I remember. Especially the way the first book decides to describe Yolanda occasionally. Only got a quarter into the second one I think.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Demiurge4 posted:

It's good to see Abnett back in the Warhammer horse but I wish he'd finish Pariah before starting a new series, even if it's Eisenhorn.

It's possible the Black Library didn't like Pariah and don't want him to continue. I really enjoyed the book but it wasn't a normal BL read.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Trast posted:

It's possible the Black Library didn't like Pariah and don't want him to continue. I really enjoyed the book but it wasn't a normal BL read.

It's Abnett, so I imagine that even if BL didn't care for it, it still sold like hotcakes. There could be a million reasons that we haven't heard about a sequel yet - Abnett could be busy with other projects, he may be stuck on a particular plot point, he strapped the manuscript to the back of his bicycle and it was lost in a tragic accident with a rogue sheep. The guy was pissed with BL, so I imagine all of his 40K books were put on the back burner for a while.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I started back up on the Horus Heresy novels. Next up is Nemesis, should I bother or go for First Heretic? I got no problem skipping bad ones after a few disappointments earlier.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Moose-Alini posted:

I started back up on the Horus Heresy novels. Next up is Nemesis, should I bother or go for First Heretic? I got no problem skipping bad ones after a few disappointments earlier.

I've not read Nemesis, but First Heretic is great.

After you've read the first three novels, there's no reason not to skip a few. Especially if they're written by James Swallow or Gav Thorpe or anybody that isn't Aaron Dembski-Bowden or Dan Abnett.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Don’t read Nemesis. It’s stupid. Read First Heretic or Mechanicus or something fun.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Check out battle for the abyss instead

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moose-Alini posted:

Nemesis was the first HH novel I skipped FWIW and yeah First Heretic is good.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Moose-Alini posted:

Skip skip skip it's an atrociously bad HH book that really doesn't go anywhere, the only other book that even has a tie in to it is vengeful spirit and even that can simply be explained by a team of assassins is gonna kill Horus a bunch of them die and then get told no bad assassins by the big E, the vindicare of the group goes barmy and ends up on the vengeful spirit somehow, his adventures continue as a minor sideplot in the vengeful spirit.

I read it when it first came out so I may have misremembered things there slightly, but it being a poorly written worthless book hasn't faded.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If you're reading them from a library or something (don't laugh, my local public library has almost the entire series in the YA section), Nemesis isn't terrible. Eversor dude is funny if nothing else. I mean, you know they're all going to fail, but the big evil thing they do kill is so hilariously over the top stupid it's actually kind of fun.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cythereal posted:

If you're reading them from a library or something (don't laugh, my local public library has almost the entire series in the YA section), Nemesis isn't terrible. Eversor dude is funny if nothing else. I mean, you know they're all going to fail, but the big evil thing they do kill is so hilariously over the top stupid it's actually kind of fun.

It's not badly written, and you're right it is fun in points. My biggest complaint is that it has almost no consequence on the plot as a whole and could probably have been a short story or novella and done the same thing.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I wish my library had any BL novels, trust me I checked. Thanks, skipping for now at least.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Goddammit, for a minute I thought a sequel to Pariah was finally coming out!

spootime
Oct 31, 2010
Guys wtf?? I havent read any 40k stuff at all since last year but I was really into it. I just started trying to come back to it and Guilliman is alive? Super space marines? Is there a good summary I can read?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

spootime posted:

Guys wtf?? I havent read any 40k stuff at all since last year but I was really into it. I just started trying to come back to it and Guilliman is alive? Super space marines? Is there a good summary I can read?

Some screwups on the Eldar side shake out sort-of-alright, and they create the avatar of Ynnead, the Eldar death god. Meanwhile, Archmagos Belisarius Caul has been working on space marine mark II for the past ten thousand years and Saint Celestine is leading the defense of Cadia against the 13th Black Crusade. Some stuff happens there, all of these factions end up there at the same time because of Fate, the Eldar help the Imperials escape Cadia before Abbadon blows it up, and they end up back on Ultramar, where they revive Guilliman using a combination of mechanicus super-science armor, Eldar witchcraft, and Celestine's holy power. Guilliman leads a new crusade using Caul's new breed of Primaris marines to help stabilize the Imperium, which is reeling from the massive warp rift that the destruction of Cadia and the last of the warp-suppression pylon network has slashed across the galaxy. Primarchs are returning on both sides, with Mortarion leading a counter-offensive in Ultramar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Necrons are also expanding, and recently beat the poo poo out of the Tau. And the Tyranids are so annoyed by this Chaos thing they've taken part of Kraken and turned it into a new hive fleet of its own with the sole purpose of hunting Chaos, daemons, and sealing warp rifts - to the point that Imperial forces have been repeatedly saved by Tyranids attacking Chaos forces in preference to anything else, which the Imperials used as a convenient distraction to retreat from.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Can't wait for the tyrannids to wind up being one of the lost legions, thrown into the warp way back into history and mutated and evolved into the emperor's most perfect killing machines.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hopterque posted:

Can't wait for the tyrannids to wind up being one of the lost legions, thrown into the warp way back into history and mutated and evolved into the emperor's most perfect killing machines.

Funny, but no the codex notes that Hive-Fleet Kronos is specifically a new development, expressly a reaction by the Hive Mind to Chaos becoming a greater and greater threat. Kronos specializes in ranged combat, since daemons and their allies tend to be choppy and largely can't be consumed for biomass, and has a lot of tricks to shut down warp shenanigans.

Other new Hive Fleets mentioned:

Hive-Fleet Gorgon: A splinter of Behemoth, known for extremely rapid adaptations. Beat the poo poo out of the Tau before a Tau-Imperium alliance seemingly killed it but stragglers of Gorgon remain and may return to full strength.

Hive-Fleet Hydra: New arrivals to the galaxy, Hydra behaves very strangely. Tyranids attacking each other isn't unknown, sometimes the Hive Mind recycles splinters that are no longer needed or hive-fleets commit to a survival of the fittest trial to see which brood's adaptations are superior. Hydra seems to downright prefer attacking Tyranids, though, to the point that the Inquisition is wondering if Hydra's connection to the Hive Mind is faulty.

Hive-Fleet Jormungandr: Seemingly a part of Leviathan that's become its own thing, been attacking the Imperium. Has a real thing for tunneling and ambush tactics - known to be unusually subtle and crafty for a bunch of Tyranids.

Hive-Fleet Tiamat: Took over a jungle planet near the galaxy's edge and... stopped. Tiamat has dug in and seems to be converting the entire planet's surface into some sort of Tyranid organism or structure. Whatever it is, it's broadcasting a massively powerful shadow in the warp, enough so to fry eldar and Deathwatch librarians that have set foot on the planet.

Hive-Fleet Ouroboros: May actually be the first Hive-Fleet to reach the galaxy, Ouroboros' creatures and mutations are very primitive by Tyranid standards and do not feature many recent adaptations. Ouroboros may have been in the galaxy for a long, long time - long before the Tyranid threat was recognized.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Some screwups on the Eldar side shake out sort-of-alright, and they create the avatar of Ynnead, the Eldar death god. Meanwhile, Archmagos Belisarius Caul has been working on space marine mark II for the past ten thousand years and Saint Celestine is leading the defense of Cadia against the 13th Black Crusade. Some stuff happens there, all of these factions end up there at the same time because of Fate, the Eldar help the Imperials escape Cadia before Abbadon blows it up, and they end up back on Ultramar, where they revive Guilliman using a combination of mechanicus super-science armor, Eldar witchcraft, and Celestine's holy power. Guilliman leads a new crusade using Caul's new breed of Primaris marines to help stabilize the Imperium, which is reeling from the massive warp rift that the destruction of Cadia and the last of the warp-suppression pylon network has slashed across the galaxy. Primarchs are returning on both sides, with Mortarion leading a counter-offensive in Ultramar.

Thanks for the summary. Have there been hints that other primarchs will return to the empire along w/ Guilliaman?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Pretty much all the Loyalists who aren't definitely dead (and maybe one or two who were thought dead) are coming back, just like how the Daemon Prince Primarchs are returning too.

(Boop the snoot)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arguably, Vulkan is already back and has been back several times.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The only three Primarchs confirmed to be active and interested in realspace that haven't "officially" returned (i.e gotten a model update) are Fulgrim (doing something around the Eastern Fringe), Angron (tried to invade Terra, got banished. Is currently trying to manifest on Armageddon) and Logar (just re-entered realspace, location unknown).

Perty's around but is currently just chilling in the Eye, got into a slapfight with Morty and got dunked hard.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cythereal posted:

Other new Hive Fleets mentioned:

Huh, the tyrannids actually sound interesting!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Huh, the tyrannids actually sound interesting!

Behemoth, Kraken, Leviathan, Kronos, Jormungandr, Hydra, and Gorgon are the ones with actual rules. Tiamat and Ouroboros get a page of fluff and a color scheme but no special rules - Tiamat specializes in defense and is characterized by heavy, ultra-dense carapaces that take a lot of firepower to blast through. Ouroboros uses primitive, archaic variants of Tyranid organisms and weapons, entirely lacking recent developments like hive guards, zoanthropes, and biovores, preferring instead air-focused tactics using endless swarms of flyers.

More minor hive fleets, almost all of which are just splinters of the big three that developed their own color scheme or distinctive behavior. These are just the ones with something interesting about them.

Hive-Fleet Colossus: Tyranids capable of talking, which they used to trick and con their way into positions of strength. Believed eradicated by the Space Wolves, but who knows if a tendril escaped to rebuild...

Hive-Fleet Naga: Origin of the Zoanthropes and Malceptors after devouring multiple Eldar worlds and even a Craftworld before being destroyed by a coalition of Craftworlds, Exodites, and Harlequins.

Hive-Fleet Dagon: Behemoth splinter, the Tyranids created for the Inquisitor/Rogue Trader/etc tabletop games and not particularly remarkable.

Hive-Fleet Lotan: Annihilated by Mortarion and the Death Guard, even Tyranids are no match for the virulence of Papa Nurgle.

Hive-Fleet Megalodon: First known large-scale battle between Necrons and Tyranids when Megalodon attempted to consume a dormant Tomb World that had since been terraformed and rich with life. Necron victory.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Cythereal posted:

Hive-Fleet Colossus: Tyranids capable of talking, which they used to trick and con their way into positions of strength. Believed eradicated by the Space Wolves, but who knows if a tendril escaped to rebuild...

I believe back in the 4th ed books this fleet was all but stated to be the Zoats. Yes, those Zoats. There was even a WD article showing you how to convert one up out of some Dragon Ogres and 'Nid bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Vadoc posted:

(Boop the snoot)
"OH OH OH OH OH!" *splat*
"YOU ARE DUMB, VULKAN! DUUUUUUUUUUUMB!"

I'm really interested in what Lorgar will be doing. His position as THE philosopher and Chaos-worshiper among the Traitors makes me wonder about his methods and goals.

Cythereal posted:

Hive-Fleet Lotan: Annihilated by Mortarion and the Death Guard, even Tyranids are no match for the virulence of Papa Nurgle.
Aren't Mortarion's creations too virulent even for the Unholy Grandfather?

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 13, 2017