Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He went into it super hyped and enjoying the hell out of it from minute one. Then they had a break before picking it up again (I think it was between parts 7 and 8?) and he'd had a complete heelturn.

It's hard to tell how serious he is, given his back and forth with Aaron Webber on the Sonic Twitter feed and the fact they're slowly making their way through all of the Sonic games. The first part of their Forces playthrough was pretty fun, although every let's play channel has fun when they've got a doofy OC to make.

Edit: Aww, the title screen post-completion is very sweet.

Holy moly, I hadn't even heard that happened. I was just joking since he was the one who coined then "Sonic was never good" meme in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It feels like they developed solely for the Switch then upscaled afterwards - the game is only 13GB in an age when the shiniest AAA titles are pushing 50GB+

Knock this off. Measuring quality in file size of all things just encourages lovely development practices like leaving in test videos and not bothering with compression at all.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The cutscenes are definitely weirdly compressed

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

The... 2 games they put out since then? Assuming you're talking about Sonic and not Puyo Puyo Tetris?

Technically, Sonic 4 episode 2 was after Generations as well. But we don't talk about Sonic 4.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He went into it super hyped and enjoying the hell out of it from minute one. Then they had a break before picking it up again (I think it was between parts 7 and 8?) and he'd had a complete heelturn.

That's weird, did he justify at all what the difference is? Aside from level length, it's not like the last several zones in Mania are worse than the first several.

Larryb posted:

almost all the levels after the first world range from tedious to downright infuriating (there's one where they basically took Silver's ball puzzle from '06 and made it the entire basis for a level), which doesn't help the fact that each level is on a time limit. There's a lot more instances where you're basically forced to use Wisp powers to progress as well.

That level indeed sucks and is infuriating, but uh the rest of the levels are much much better than that one. Compared to the Wii U levels, the 3DS ones actual have less dumb gimmicks, which is saying something cause the 3DS still has a bunch of gimmicky levels.

And the Wisp comparison is unfair because the 3DS ones actually....function? Even the dumb rock one that controls only through 3DS gyro is more functional than most/all of the Wii U ones. The saving grace of the Wii U's are that the levels don't require them, so you never have to engage the lovely lovely wisps.

Fun Note: Lost World 3DS uses the Sonic Heroes invincibility theme. For some reason?

Ventana fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 8, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That Egoraptor thing is pretty disappointing.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Egoraptor has bad game opinions, news at 11

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Egoraptor has bad game opinions, news at 11

ftfy

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

After seeing Forces is bad I bought a used copy of Unleashed instead because I had never seen or played that.

Which is worse?

Which Unleashed? There's two totally different games by that name.

Zelder posted:

The console wars never ended my friend.

Al-Saqr posted:

EXACTLY!

There's something fundamentally broken at the Sonic Team Development, it's no longer an excuse that a ragtag team of indies can outshine them in a single release when they've been rehashing the same mistakes forever!

There is no Sonic Team. It's basically a brand for whatever random people they throw into a pot. They keep making the same mistakes because they literally were not there to learn from them.

Zelder posted:

This reminds me: sonic team, if you're listening, the world is ready for Puyo Puyo Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon/Pokemon Puzzle League

:yeah:, though I'd also accept Puyo Vs Capcom.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Death to all youtube personalities

Speaking of youtube personalities, here's dunkey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxvQbKWVjyk

I forgot how weird Sonic Adventure is

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Keiya posted:

Knock this off. Measuring quality in file size of all things just encourages lovely development practices like leaving in test videos and not bothering with compression at all.

I didn't mean it as a criticism, just that along with everything else, like the 720p cutscenes, it definitely feels like they were working to a smaller limit, and as far as I'm aware the Switch cartridges are only 16GB. It doesn't really excuse them not using full HD on PC, whatever the case.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I feel like if Sonic Team was using the Switch as the main platform, they would've been able to do better than 30 fps/720 fps.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

After seeing Forces is bad I bought a used copy of Unleashed instead because I had never seen or played that.

Which is worse?

Unleashed is worse. It might have singular better levels (a few of the Sonic levels are fantastic) but the medal system is terrible, the hubs aren't great, and while i'm fine with the Werehog it's levels are never better than ok, are usually too long and just feel like barriers between more Sonic levels.

It's longer though by quite a bit and if Forces length was your biggest issue with it you might have a better time with it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Forces levels are also never better than ok. Unleashed has way higher highs and much lower lows, but I'll take that over completely mediocre any day.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

The Forces levels are also never better than ok. Unleashed has way higher highs and much lower lows, but I'll take that over completely mediocre any day.

I like them more than the Werehog levels by quite a fair amount, i'd say many are good. And I generally like the style of gameplay Sonic kinda formed in Colours that Forces uses more than that in Unleashed even if Unleashed has a couple really great levels. And just in general i think levels that are too short are much preferable to levels that are too long. Which Unleashed has some problems with. But that's a matter of taste and I should have mentioned that.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I didn't mean it as a criticism, just that along with everything else, like the 720p cutscenes, it definitely feels like they were working to a smaller limit, and as far as I'm aware the Switch cartridges are only 16GB. It doesn't really excuse them not using full HD on PC, whatever the case.

That doesn't make sense at all though because the Switch version is 6.6 GB.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zelder posted:

I feel like if Sonic Team was using the Switch as the main platform, they would've been able to do better than 30 fps/720 fps.

It just generally feels like they developed for portable play first and foremost - the price point, the short levels and side missions, the emphasis on OC dress up between levels, the use of talking heads between levels to advance the story, cutscenes that are heavy on dialogue without many big flashy moments, and so on. It's good for short bursts and for tidying up your OC when you have a minute, but ends fast if you sit down to play for a long stretch.

It could all be coincidence of course and the reality is that they just made a slightly underwhelming game, but it does make me wonder. I guess their intention is a moot point ever since it was announced for all platforms though.

Edit: Switch version is even smaller? Weird. I'll leave my rambling up there intact, but I guess it really is just weirdly half-assed in some ways.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Keiya posted:

Which Unleashed? There's two totally different games by that name.

I got the 360 one. Apparently the PS3/360 one is worse, and the PS3 is the outright worst of them all?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I wouldn't say that all of Forces levels are "only ok" but that's a matter of opinion. Egg Gate is a really gorgeous, fun ride and I'm pretty fond of Prison Gate. Heck I'm even partial to the Crazy Gadget style gravity nonsense in Avatar's city stage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like them more than the Werehog levels by quite a fair amount, i'd say many are good. And I generally like the style of gameplay Sonic kinda formed in Colours that Forces uses more than that in Unleashed even if Unleashed has a couple really great levels. And just in general i think levels that are too short are much preferable to levels that are too long. Which Unleashed has some problems with. But that's a matter of taste and I should have mentioned that.

My biggest issue is that the stages seem to end right as they're getting started. Colors was mostly short stages too, but it had at least one semi long stage per zone and forces has zero, period. I'm not looking for super long stages like the tropical zone in unleashed but man, there is barely anything to the stages in forces. I'm going to go through and get all the s-ranks and red rings before I completely judge the game but I doubt I'll come back to it like I do with my favorite generations stages, the unleashed project and the regular levels in lost world.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im glad that we finally got sonic 4 episode 3

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

My biggest issue is that the stages seem to end right as they're getting started. Colors was mostly short stages too, but it had at least one semi long stage per zone and forces has zero, period. I'm not looking for super long stages like the tropical zone in unleashed but man, there is barely anything to the stages in forces. I'm going to go through and get all the s-ranks and red rings before I completely judge the game but I doubt I'll come back to it like I do with my favorite generations stages, the unleashed project and the regular levels in lost world.

I guess i'm just generally ok with short levels, i'd like some longer Modern Sonic levels at least but I thought the levels were fun and cool. At the very least I think having shorter levels for Classic and Avatar was a good idea, because I don't think the team is as good at designing classic stages and I think trying out this new gimmick in a bunch of short stages is a pretty ok way to do it.

The stage lengths for Modern Sonic is one of the things that make me put it below Colours and Generations but it didn't really kill the game for me. I still like those levels.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
quick reminder that Forces has good music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpTELma-Fc

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It is a matter of taste, yeah. I think on almost all of these accounts I'd disagree, but yeah at this point it just gets into personal preferences.

The short level vs long level question is weird, since it's very contextual. Sonic colors's side levels were very short, but the main acts were decent length, so I don't mind the short levels there. Forces's main levels are short, which makes the difference for me. And yeah, personally I'm fine with the longer levels as long as they are engaging and diverse enough, which of course is not a view everyone would have (it's why some complaints about Titanic Monarch Act 2 in Sonic Mania didn't gel with me either).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I wouldn't say that all of Forces levels are "only ok" but that's a matter of opinion. Egg Gate is a really gorgeous, fun ride and I'm pretty fond of Prison Gate. Heck I'm even partial to the Crazy Gadget style gravity nonsense in Avatar's city stage.

the levels in Forces look very pretty in a lot of cases, but the level layout and the camerawork leave a lot to be desired and the big cinematic setpieces during levels are nowhere near as good as they were in Colors or Generations

they're just kind of weak overall. theyre not terrible, just okay

the music is usually pretty good though, and that helps

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The dumb "a cool vaguely cinematic thing is happening now have a slow qte to do a jump" is probably my least favourite thing about the levels, yeah.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so let's post our avatars, I guess

His name is Torque. He's a bear.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

so let's post our avatars, I guess

His name is Torque. He's a bear.

Please tell me he fixes motorcycles in his spare time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, actually. The backstory in my head is that he's a mechanic.

I hope there are boots that'll compliment his colorscheme better later.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Sonic Team, if you are listening, if you make another game with Tetris leave out the annoying puyo anime poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Puyo owns.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Sonic Team, if you are listening, if you make another game with Tetris leave out the annoying puyo anime poo poo.

The opposite of this.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

Sega got that license from Compile (Heart) as collateral. They're going to use it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope we can all agree in this sonic thread that puyo puyo is very good.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Release Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine HD

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Two Beans posted:

Holy gently caress get out

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So hey, turns out that theatre mode uses the last selected avatar and outfit.

God I love OC dressup; this is my Chao Garden.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Sega put out a survey about Sonic Forces.

If you got Feelings about this game, I encourage you to go fill it out and give them some constructive feedback. Who knows how or if it will get used but it can't hurt to let your thoughts be known anyways!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Holy gently caress get out

Pii piipii pii!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Pii piipii pii!

That was a tetris character my friend

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Two Beans posted:

Not even I can muster an opinion this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

FINALLY MY BRO GOT OFF SO I CAN PLAY IT ON THE PS4!

Starting Episode Shadow and as always the music IS lit! And did I already mention Kirk Thornton has improved so much and is actually doing a fantastic job as Shadow compared to that terrible generic evil guy voice he has in Sonic Boom? Yeah I did but man this is Shadow! He sounds so good!!! Four for you Kirk Thornton, you deserve the gold stars for showing such great improvement!