Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Countries that switched sides in WWII.

Proud commies

Close enough, national subreddit that have hammer and sickle flair.

E: Didn't click the spoiler, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Countries Father Camillo has visited?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Countries Father Camillo has visited?

Did he really go to Russia?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Interesting observation re: this map of religion in Romania when contrasted against an ethnic map of Romania.

Obviously the islands of non-Orthodoxy largely coincide with where the non-Orthodox ethnic minorities live, that's not too surprising. What's interesting is the belt of Reformed churches that is contiguous, but doesn't coincide, with the "belt" of smaller Romanian majority just to the west of it, outside of Székely Land proper. The religion map just shows it as Orthodox but I wonder if those Hungarians there are Catholic or Reformed.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

yaffle posted:

Did he really go to Russia?

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=15552.html

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
How did that little island of Hungarian/Magyar majorities come to be? I know the Hungarians gained it (and a landbridge to it) during WW2 but subsequently lost it but it always struck me as odd. Was the land between it and Hungary historically Hungarian majority, but gradually subjected to Romanian immigration? If so, why did so few Romanians likewise move to the 'island' area?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Transylvania was part of Hungary for 1000 years. Hungarians and Germans were settled there to fight the Turks, although I'm not sure that necessarily explains why their majorities were so large. The Germans mostly got deported/left after WW2 though. The Romanian areas were always Romanian

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Hungary

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Blut posted:

How did that little island of Hungarian/Magyar majorities come to be? I know the Hungarians gained it (and a landbridge to it) during WW2 but subsequently lost it but it always struck me as odd. Was the land between it and Hungary historically Hungarian majority, but gradually subjected to Romanian immigration? If so, why did so few Romanians likewise move to the 'island' area?

I think you're asking the question "Why do Szekelys exist?" And there is no conclusive answer to this question.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_Sz%E9kelys

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think you're asking the question "Why do Szekelys exist?" And there is no conclusive answer to this question.

To horrify female comics by cornering them and jacking it, if the rumors are true.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Interesting. Sounds like the border guard theory is the most likely.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

sad map of the range of lions

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Only in Kenyaaaa...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

rear end struggle posted:

sad map of the range of lions
I'm the sporadic Adriatic Sea Lions, the Iberian Lions, and the Provencal Lions :haw:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

No Safe Word posted:

and the Provencal Lions :haw:

Disappointed there are no Lyon lions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mojo1701a posted:

Disappointed there are no Lyon lions.

But are there iron lions in Zion?

There were lions in Europe, but they were hunted to extinction during the antiquity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_lions_in_Europe

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Keisarillisen Suomen mikä?

e: Oh just spotted the political load so angery.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This would have probably been the best possible 20th century outcome for the poor Szekelys

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

To be fair they at least got to keep their land after WW2 and didn't get forcibly repatriated to Hungary. They did a bit better than the Eastern European German minorities in that regard.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Blut posted:

To be fair they at least got to keep their land after WW2 and didn't get forcibly repatriated to Hungary. They did a bit better than the Eastern European German minorities in that regard.

The nazis did much the same with their lebensraum policies, and (though the occasional brutality of it was not) it was sanctioned by the UN following the war.

Wait you're one of the German nationalist posters, why am I replying to you.

e: because this is the political maps thread:

quote:

The German concept of Lebensraum (German pronunciation: [ˈleːbənsˌʁaʊm] (About this sound listen), English: "living space") refers to policies and practices of settler colonialism which proliferated in Germany from the 1890s to the 1940s. First popularized around 1901,[2] Lebensraum became a geopolitical goal of Imperial Germany in World War I (1914–1918) originally, as the core element of the Septemberprogramm of territorial expansion.[3] The most extreme form of this ideology was supported by the Nazi Party (NSDAP) and Nazi Germany until the end of World War II.[4]

Following Adolf Hitler's rise to power, Lebensraum became an ideological principle of Nazism and provided justification for the German territorial expansion into East-Central Europe.[5] The Nazi Generalplan Ost policy (the Master Plan for the East) was based on its tenets. It stipulated that most of the indigenous populations of Eastern Europe would have to be removed permanently (either through mass deportation to Siberia, death, or enslavement) including Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, and other Slavic nations considered racially inferior and non-Aryan. The Nazi government aimed at repopulating these lands with Germanic colonists in the name of Lebensraum during World War II and thereafter.[6][7][8] The entire populations were to be decimated by starvation, allowing for their own agricultural surplus to feed Germany.[6]

Hitler's strategic program for world domination was based on the belief in the power of Lebensraum, pursued by a racially superior society.[7] People deemed to be part of inferior races, within the territory of Lebensraum expansion, were subjected to expulsion or destruction.[7] The eugenics of Lebensraum assumed the right of the German Aryan master race (Herrenvolk) to remove indigenous people they considered to be of inferior racial stock (Untermenschen) in the name of their own living space.[7] Nazi Germany also supported other "Aryan' nations" pursuing their own Lebensraum, including Fascist Italy's spazio vitale.[9]

Not saying it wasn't a bad thing, and it's mandatory to spend a month learning about it in school in at least some parts of Eastern Europe, but on the whole it always strikes me as kinda silly how some Germans treat it as some grave injustice compared to what they did for years in the first place. Particularly when a lot of Germans were relatively recent immigrants, though most weren't.

And it happened in northern France too, because of some woo Nazi science splitting French people into two ethnic groups, uhh, somehow.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 8, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Are we back to thinking guess the map posts are good for some reason?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jehde posted:

Are we back to thinking guess the map posts are good for some reason?

It's lions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What if forced population transfers and ethnic cleansing was wrong when Germans did them AND also wrong when they were done to reasonably innocent German civilians? What if two things could possibly be wrong and bad at the same time, without either being excused?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Private Speech posted:

The nazis did much the same with their lebensraum policies, and (though the occasional brutality of it was not) it was sanctioned by the UN following the war.

Wait you're one of the German nationalist posters, why am I replying to you.

e: because this is the political maps thread:

Not saying it wasn't a bad thing, and it's mandatory to spend a month learning about it in school in at least some parts of Eastern Europe, but on the whole it always strikes me as kinda silly how some Germans treat it as some grave injustice compared to what they did for years in the first place. Particularly when a lot of Germans were relatively recent immigrants, though most weren't.

And it happened in northern France too, because of some woo Nazi science splitting French people into two ethnic groups, uhh, somehow.

What? I'm not even German?

Its also a bit of a jump to call me a German nationalist because I said Szekely Hungarians did better than ethnic Germans after WW2, I wasn't making any comment on whether ethnic Germans deserved their repatriation or not. The ones who supported the Nazis almost certainly did, if only to prevent any potential future German revanchism. But thanks for the slightly odd attack I guess.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What if forced population transfers and ethnic cleansing was wrong when Germans did them AND also wrong when they were done to reasonably innocent German civilians? What if two things could possibly be wrong and bad at the same time, without either being excused?

I think it's not that simple. A lot of the german civilians enjoyed very privileged positions under Nazi rule, often given management positions, confiscated property, all companies must have had ethnically clean owners, etc. This made it so that some form of restitution was inevitable, but there probably should have been exceptions for people who lived in the area for a long time.

You can't possibly expect people to accept that German civilians would keep their property and positions as have been acquired under the occupation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: You know what? Let’s not engage.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Blut posted:

What? I'm not even German?

Its also a bit of a jump to call me a German nationalist because I said Szekely Hungarians did better than ethnic Germans after WW2, I wasn't making any comment on whether ethnic Germans deserved their repatriation or not. The ones who supported the Nazis almost certainly did, if only to prevent any potential future German revanchism. But thanks for the slightly odd attack I guess.

Oh sorry, I have you on ignore for some reason, which is a place you share with kapparomeo, hakimashou, Gaussian Copula and Geriatric Pirate, so I just assumed.

Probably because you post about AfD and such a bunch, say like this:

quote:

I'm sure for the right price somewhere on the European periphery could be convinced to set up a 'holding area' for those stateless convicted illegal immigrant criminals who refuse to admit where they're from. Let them stay there until they admit where they're actually from, then send then home. The Australian system that does this seems to work rather well.

Anyway yeah nevermind.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 9, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Private Speech posted:

I think it's not that simple. A lot of the german civilians enjoyed very privileged positions under Nazi rule, often given management positions, confiscated property, all companies must have had ethnically clean owners, etc. This made it so that some form of restitution was inevitable, but there probably should have been exceptions for people who lived in the area for a long time.

You can't possibly expect people to accept that German civilians would keep their property and positions as have been acquired under the occupation.

Hello, dude who talked to relatives who survived being in Nazi concentration camps speaking here, the ethnic cleansing of Germans was wrong. A rather insufficient amount of Nazi shooting was done wrt the actual Nazis, and I'm not a fan of compensating with 6 year olds.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

my dad posted:

Hello, dude who talked to relatives who survived being in Nazi concentration camps speaking here, the ethnic cleansing of Germans was wrong. A rather insufficient amount of Nazi shooting was done wrt the actual Nazis, and I'm not a fan of compensating with 6 year olds.

My relatives have too been in a Nazi concentration camp, incidentally. I didnt even particularly like them when they were alive, and I don't see why it really matters.

Also there's a difference between murder and resettlement, but you know what whatever, I don't really care. I don't have anything against Germans who have stayed or who I have met abroad. In fact my former landlady was one of the people who were expulsed after the war, and I have spoken with her about it in a mutually amiable way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Private Speech posted:

there's a difference between murder and resettlement

If you accept.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

my dad posted:

If you accept.

Depending on where that got you dragged off in cuffs. Admittedly it wasn't exactly the case in Poland or Ukraine.

It was a lovely thing done in a brutal manner, but I don't think it was entirely unjustified. Though just the expropriation of property would have been enough.

And technically anyone who could prove they were not supporters of Nazism (amittedly to biased courts and ... this is really perhaps just how it was in Czechoslovakia) were allowed to stay.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 9, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Private Speech posted:

i have an ethnically cleansed friend

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Private Speech posted:

My relatives have too been in a Nazi concentration camp, incidentally. I didnt even particularly like them when they were alive, and I don't see why it really matters.

Also there's a difference between murder and resettlement, but you know what whatever, I don't really care. I don't have anything against Germans who have stayed or who I have met abroad. In fact my former landlady was one of the people who were expulsed after the war, and I have spoken with her about it in a mutually amiable way.

There generally tends to be lots of murder involved with forced resettlement at the point of a bayonet, funnily enough.

For someone who "doesn't really care" you seem to be trying awfully hard to argue about how these civilians deserved to be murdered because of their ethnicity. Perhaps....you are the racist nationalist after all? :aaaaa:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'll say most if not all mass resettlement probably ends in at least some light genocide

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Less then 1% were murdered, at least in Czechoslovakia, and that includes a large percentage of suicides? A lot of those by Soviet soldiers and people settling grudges, more than just in the process of expulsion.

Its difficult for me to really understand what it would have meant had it not happened. I suppose, given the Soviet takeover, all the property would have been nationalised sooner or later anyway. So perhaps it was completely senseless after all.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 9, 2017

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Private Speech posted:

that includes a large percentage of suicides?

Which of course don't count as actual deaths...

gently caress off man.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rumda posted:

Which of course don't count as actual deaths...

gently caress off man.

Well, not murders. At least according to the German red cross quoted on wikipedia.

Of course a fair number of those were probably caused by what happened.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's hard to understand why it happened, and that people then had reasons for it. The life under Nazi occupation was really exceedingly unpleasant for non-Germans.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Private Speech posted:

Well, not murders. At least according to the German red cross quoted on wikipedia.

Of course a fair number of those were probably caused by what happened.

And people that starve to death after being striped of all there possessions and marched away from the only home they ever knew?