Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Inzombiac posted:

This was my first thought but I've never done felting before. Could I do it in a single day?
I'm hoping to bust it out this weekend.

A lot of the shops online that sell crazy hats like in your post go for $300+.

That I'm not sure about. I haven't done it before just read a lot about it. I was considering making a Gandalf hat but haven't gotten around to starting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My wife has felted hats in the past and I'm not sure if you could bust it out in a single day, especially if you haven't done anything like that before. Felting requires a lot of working at the wool, and I think there are periods where you have to let it dry/set that would mess with blitzing the project. The reason I suggested interfacing and buckram is that you can work them pretty rapidly and you can get them at most fabric stores - I'm not sure where you would get a felt blank accept online through a millinery supplier.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
So I'm putting together a quick Rick Deckard for Halloween (and the premiere of Blade Runner 2049), and I went to a mass-produced cosplay site--not amazing quality, but certainly good enough to throw together last-minute. That said, I have a few things that I'd like to fix, if possible, so I wanted to crowdsource ideas.

First: not sure how it happened, but the trenchcoat has a light-colored stain running from one armpit/shoulder all the way down the front of the coat. It happens to line up perfectly with the crease where the coat was folded for shipping, so perhaps it accidentally got something on it while it was being packed up. In any case, I dunno how it happened, but does anyone have any ideas for fixing or concealing it?

I had thought about spraying or dumping some liquid over the whole coat to make it appear damp (as it usually looks in the movie), which could possibly help to hide the stain. What might be good for this purpose? A waterproofing spray or something?

Second: the shirt is a custom-printed fabric, and while the pattern is nice, the print is overall somewhat faded and gray compared to the black shirt in the movie. Is there any conceivable way to darken the whole thing without messing up the color of the blue-and-pink pattern too much?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Inzombiac posted:

This was my first thought but I've never done felting before. Could I do it in a single day?

It will likely take longer than that. You could create the felt piece in a day assuming you have all the materials on hand including the resist. What takes longer is creating a custom hat form. I made one out of Styrofoam that I shaped with a disc sander and painted with pva glue.

Millinery suppliers typically only supply two basic hat blanks; A capeline which is a short cap and wide brim, and a cloche which is similar in size/shape to a modern beanie. Those would be soaked in hot water and stretched over a form but neither of them will be big enough to create both a wide brim and tall point.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I thought you guys might enjoy a few pictures of me and my wife from AWA 2017 this past weekend.

The TF2 Scout was a pretty easy costume to put together. It actually shares pants with two other costumes, a viking costume I wear to ren faires and my Kylo Ren costume. The headset is just a crap $4 headset from Amazon that I broke one ear off and spray painted part of it yellow. Blue tshirt with the sleeves rolled up with a few threads to hold them in place.

Trevor was a much bigger ordeal. The shirt is an off the shelf dress shirt that I had to remove the front pocket from. The shoulder details are felt sewn directly to the shirt. I used some red linen for the straps which are sewn in place where they meet the shoulders and in the center of the back under the felt. The yellow accents are more felt just to shape and sewn on over the black felt. The family crests on the front and the back were a bit tricky. I took a screenshot of the crest and printed it out to the size I wanted, cut it out, glued it to the felt, then cut the felt to shape, and finally glued in place with liquid stitch. The back piece didn't adhere correctly so I had to reattach it, lay the shirt flat in my truck, and place a brick on top of the crest. Luckily the glue cured in route to Atlanta. The gauntlets are brown linen with black cotton ribons sewn in a crisscross pattern of the top with each end lined in fake white fur. The gaiters are black stretchy denim and white linen with more fake white fur at the top. They are held in place with three elastic bands I measured out and sewed into loops that slip up over the boots. In the show he has two over the top of his boot but I added a third that goes up under the fur to keep them from falling down my leg. The belt is actually three belts, the big black one I made myself. I got some scraps from my local leather whole seller and cut it to the shape and length I wanted, dyed it, and added snaps so it could go on easily. The other two are just store bought belts from the flee market. The whip is store bought but I added a "guard" to it like the hunter killer whip in the show. it is just some PVC pip painted gold. Simple and it looks good. I cut an extra piece of leather with a snap on the end to function as a holster for the whip on my belt that way I don't have to carry it all over the con but easily get it out when someone wants a picture.

I was blitzing through this to make it in time for AWA. I even had to pull an all nighter the day before the con to finish in time. Here are a few pictures of the process:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Inzombiac posted:

I'd follow a tutorial like this-

http://www.deliacreates.com/make-witch-hat-in-any-size-tutorial/

you can put wire in the edge of the brim if you want to add some movement.

I'd love to do Lup but the though of wearing ears puts me off of the idea.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Funhilde posted:

I'd follow a tutorial like this-

http://www.deliacreates.com/make-witch-hat-in-any-size-tutorial/

you can put wire in the edge of the brim if you want to add some movement.

I'd love to do Lup but the though of wearing ears puts me off of the idea.

Just wear a wig. I'm not going to bother with ears until next year's conventions.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
A friend of mine is thinking about cosplaying as Ruiner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg2uB60DFS0

Basically, the helmet is the key - a LED display on the helmet that can display graphics and/or video. I found this tutorial for a similar thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBOrmM351pg

But does anyone know of a LED panel or something with the right shape for a Ruiner helmet?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

clockworkjoe posted:

A friend of mine is thinking about cosplaying as Ruiner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg2uB60DFS0

Basically, the helmet is the key - a LED display on the helmet that can display graphics and/or video. I found this tutorial for a similar thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBOrmM351pg

But does anyone know of a LED panel or something with the right shape for a Ruiner helmet?

A lot of options here:

https://www.adafruit.com/category/63
https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/89
https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/76

"e-textile" controllers, wires, light strings, etc:
https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/204

Probably your best fit for something that'll match the curve of the lens:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13304

Best you'll be able to do is the simple "text in the lens area" displays with color and simple graphics. The full facemask display things is...well not technically possible right now.

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 10, 2017

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I made a flexible LED matrix for a Daft Punk helmet by hand. It worked pretty well, but was incredibly annoying to build.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FeKzhzb7oZlbWCn2

Basically, plastic cross-stitch canvas has almost the exact spacing you need to put 5mm LEDs in. Wire them into a matrix, and you're good to go. Because the canvas is flexible, it's easy to shape it to fit. I used the HT16K33 board from AdaFruit, which let me do a 16x8 matrix. You can chain them together, as they're I2C boards, so you could make them as big as you like.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Inzombiac posted:

Just wear a wig. I'm not going to bother with ears until next year's conventions.

I may do it for Denver Comic Con. I think I could get away with making myself tall enough by wearing some platform boots.

Funhilde fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 15, 2017

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
So. I decided that I'm just going to make myself a Lup cosplay anyways. I have a friend that wants to start doing prosthetic so he is going to help me sort out some ears.

I do realize though that Being a different Adventure Zone character could be better suited to me so maybe I'll do that too.

For Halloween we are doing a riff on the beach scene costumes from Sweeney Todd and I'm pretty excited about that if I can actually start sewing on that.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Anyone going to Blizzcon? Been stalling out on my costume this year, so I really hope I finish.

Need to put a few final details on this, but my baby's first cosplay is done!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Omg I'm not going to the con but I look forward to your little one stealing the show. Pics in costume, please! :kimchi:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Alright so I drew up a little concept drawing for a The Adventure Zone theme costume. Basically I'd be The Hunger. Pardon the not wanting to draw hands part of this. Not sure exactly what the outfit would be other than I would wear some platform boots to make me look unnaturally tall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaapfkpjA-s/?taken-by=funhilde

Inside of the cape would be something like this fabric and have the ability to open fully like Isis wings they use in Bellydancing.
https://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/2909493-eyes-black-white-eye-fabric-eye-pattern-eye-fabric-halloween-scary-eyes-fabric-by-andrea_lauren

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The cape idea is great but why not dress as John with that cape? You know, have it always looming behind you.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Inzombiac posted:

The cape idea is great but why not dress as John with that cape? You know, have it always looming behind you.

My husband is going to be John.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I'm building a generic Night's Watchman costume. I'm channeling this guy's take on it, and I'm trying to keep it cheap. I already have a $5 leather Goodwill jacket, and my local IKEA has the requisite $15 rug, but I'm not quite sure what to do about the padded/quilted parka(?) under their leather smock/vests:

Cheapest thing I can think of is a bathrobe. Any thoughts?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Funhilde posted:

My husband is going to be John.

Normal outfit or late game, cracked skin and all that?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Inzombiac posted:

Normal outfit or late game, cracked skin and all that?

All cracked up. It was the first suggestion he was into. We have a pretty big height difference so couple cosplay ideas are challenging . Also he doesn't want to shave his beard usually.

scandoslav posted:

I'm building a generic Night's Watchman costume. I'm channeling this guy's take on it, and I'm trying to keep it cheap. I already have a $5 leather Goodwill jacket, and my local IKEA has the requisite $15 rug, but I'm not quite sure what to do about the padded/quilted parka(?) under their leather smock/vests:

Cheapest thing I can think of is a bathrobe. Any thoughts?

Try to find an old woman's houserobe and dye it black. They are often padded a bit like that. I know I've seen a bunch in the Halloween sections at the thrift stores.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
You can also buy pre-quilted fabric. If you only need the visible bits you could probably get away with remnants which are cheaper. http://www.joann.com/quilted-solids-black-diamond/6670715.html

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Funhilde posted:

Try to find an old woman's houserobe and dye it black. They are often padded a bit like that. I know I've seen a bunch in the Halloween sections at the thrift stores.

wheatpuppy posted:

You can also buy pre-quilted fabric. If you only need the visible bits you could probably get away with remnants which are cheaper. http://www.joann.com/quilted-solids-black-diamond/6670715.html

Excellent excellent, thanks y'all. This gives me a ideal case and fallback (for when it gets to Thursday and I haven't found a houserobe yet)

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Hello everyone. Just wanted to share with you my first foray into cosplaying.

Now, while I'm a comic-book fan, I don't have the sewing talent to do justice to any of my favorite characters. And I also wanted to do something more original than being just one of like fifty Deadpools.

So I decided on cosplaying the main character of one of my favorite indie videogames, Punch Club!

I already had the blue sneakers, and finding the red shorts was easy. Then I just had to purchase a yellow t-shirt and find a smiley face image that was close enough to the one from the game, use some Photoshop to improve a little and get it imprinted on the shirt.

White bandages were also easy enough to acquire, but I felt that altough faithful to the design, it still lacked a little... bling.

So I decided to make the magic medallion that is the game's McGuffin: a solid gold mystical dragon thing that got broken in half.

Luckily, I found a place with a laser cutter, and after some more time in Photoshop to get the right shapes, I got all the pieces I needed.

Then it was a matter of painting it gold, glueing it together, and adding some details, like painting some black stripes to make it look more like the one from the game. I know it could've been done with the laser cutter, but it is my first time using one and didn't know I could do it that way. Maybe if I decide to make another one it will turn out better.

Fun fact: I wanted to add some extra detail and put some gems in the dragons eyes, but forgot until I had glued everything together. After a lot of patience and fiddling with a sewing needle, I put them in place. Now I have a mystical artifact that can give the wearer ultimate power!

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Newbie help: I'm trying to dye white fake fur (100% poly) to a medium purple. Following the Rit directions left me with barely pink fur ( doubling up to two bottles in six gallons of hot tap water). Soak the poo poo out of it, go berserk with the dye/water ratio, or do I need some additives?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I would try iDye Poly if you can find a place to buy it. I've had much much better luck with it than with Rit.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Dying polyester is kind of a not ideal, never ends up great. You need to keep the heat very high throughout. If you have a way to dye it while on the stove that would be ideal.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Fake fur and heat do not mix! You're gonna damage the fibers and end up with a matted mess. Don't do anything that requires high heat.

You can use watered-down acrylic paint to color the fur, by saturating the poo poo out of it and brushing it out constantly as it dries flat, but it might alter the texture and never truly soaks into the fibers. Honestly there is no good way to dye fake fur and sometimes you just have to settle for a color that isn't 100% accurate. Would any of these be close to what you're going for? (If you only need a small piece for your project, protip: fabric.com's swatches are very generous, like almost as big as a piece of paper.)

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Squarely Circle posted:

Fake fur and heat do not mix! You're gonna damage the fibers and end up with a matted mess. Don't do anything that requires high heat.

Good to know!! Sorry for bad rec. But I was just thinking in terms of fabric. My bad.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I had a hell of a time trying to dye white cotton black using Rit. It is crap. I have sworn off trying to dye stuff. It'll never turn out the correct color. Better to buy it as close to the color you want as possible.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 26, 2017

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Had to change my Halloween plans up from my usual since I'm still recovering from a broken leg but I'm having a good time with this so far! Gonna go as San from Princess Mononoke since I can thrift or BS a lot of the outfit haha. And I have almost all the materials I need.

e. I am very proud of the fact that the eye and mouth ports are rubber toilet gaskets jacked in worbla bwahahahaha

Tonight I'm hoping to bang out accessories big time.

Also I adopted some weird little boogers. This has nothing to do with cosplay and everything to do with cute kittens.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 26, 2017

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

Ended up getting some of that stuff, a $5 leather jacket from goodwill, and a hooded, long-sleeved t-shirt ($15). Also the $15 IKEA rug. Also $12 surplus black gloves.

"Cheap," but still feels like :homebrew:

Now to cut/sew a cloak, attach a dyed rug to it, and figure out how to approximate the skirt-part of a gambeson(?)

I was gonna give up on weathering it (and just claim to be a relatively well-washed wandering crow), but MY GIRLFRIEND refuses to let me do so. Bleh.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

scandoslav posted:

Ended up getting some of that stuff, a $5 leather jacket from goodwill, and a hooded, long-sleeved t-shirt ($15). Also the $15 IKEA rug. Also $12 surplus black gloves.

"Cheap," but still feels like :homebrew:

Now to cut/sew a cloak, attach a dyed rug to it, and figure out how to approximate the skirt-part of a gambeson(?)

I was gonna give up on weathering it (and just claim to be a relatively well-washed wandering crow), but MY GIRLFRIEND refuses to let me do so. Bleh.

Weathering will probably be the easiest part. It is my favorite part of any build.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Squarely Circle posted:

You can use watered-down acrylic paint to color the fur, by saturating the poo poo out of it and brushing it out constantly as it dries flat, but it might alter the texture and never truly soaks into the fibers. Honestly there is no good way to dye fake fur and sometimes you just have to settle for a color that isn't 100% accurate. Would any of these be close to what you're going for? (If you only need a small piece for your project, protip: fabric.com's swatches are very generous, like almost as big as a piece of paper.)

Thanks. I'm trying the acrylic soak. If that doesn't work out, then one of the fabric.com fabrics looks exactly what I'm going for.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I went out this weekend in my Ash Williams cosplay that I've been wanting to do since last year.
Here's a link to the imgur album where I tossed a bunch of photos: https://imgur.com/a/3MrDM

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any pictures of the complete costume with blood & all the props on, and the ones where I do don't look nearly as badass without the blood and dirt I added before heading out. I'm gonna hold onto all the props and reuse it when costumes are needed in the future, although I'd like to rework the shotgun, the holster (which was literally stuff I had laying around my room banged out in 45 minutes) and switch the harness to be over the correct shoulder.

Next, I'd like to do some Nier stuff. I might not do a complete 9S cosplay, but I at least want to make the blindfold & necklace. Necklace should be easy enough, I'll think I'll 3D print the charm part. But the blindfold is a little trickier. I've never worked with fabric before and I still want to be able to SEE out of the drat thing. I was thinking maybe layers of silk, or layers of black-painted cheese cloth? I absolutely want to include the stitching on the higher-res models, but might change it to gold stitching?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Anyone doing cosplay at BlizzCon? Not sure what day I'll bring Tracer out and if there's a goon or goons to hang with, then that's all the better.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

The Electronaut posted:

Anyone doing cosplay at BlizzCon? Not sure what day I'll bring Tracer out and if there's a goon or goons to hang with, then that's all the better.

Just saw this. I was at Blizzcon as Eonar, with my baby as whelpling Ysera.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Just saw this. I was at Blizzcon as Eonar, with my baby as whelpling Ysera.

I think I saw you wandering around one day.

Here's me as Overwatch's Tracer in her Slipstream skin. I only brought her out on Friday as I was spent after 4 hours wearing the whole ensemble.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Could someone recommend me a good metallic gold spray paint and primer? :)

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to weather a polyester flag? I'm planning on doing an NCR Ranger outfit next year and want to have a well worn NCR flag to go along with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Commissar Canuck posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to weather a polyester flag? I'm planning on doing an NCR Ranger outfit next year and want to have a well worn NCR flag to go along with it

Polyester is a bitch to weather in a convincing way.
Watered down brown die, black dye for flecks, razor scrape the edges, crumple it up and blast it with a hair dryer.

Just be patient.