Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I take it back. Bring back map guessing, anything other than this. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rumda posted:

And people that starve to death after being striped of all there possessions and marched away from the only home they ever knew?

Very few people starved, seeing as they were in internment camps and then admittedly dumped in Germany, but it's not like they were shipped off to woods and left to die.

And those possessions were very likely unjustly earned in the number of years prior to that when they benefited from explicit germans-first policy.

If it were Israelis expulsed from parts of the West bank, would you still see it the same way? Beacaue that is a decent example of a modern-day equivalent.

But I'll stop now, I don't even know what I'm arguing about anymore.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jehde posted:

I take it back. Bring back map guessing, anything other than this. :negative:

Then post content instead of whining.

Private Speech posted:

If it were Israelis expulsed from parts of the West bank, would you still see it the same way? Beacaue that is a decent example of a modern-day equivalent.

That's not an equivalent situation a large majority of the German minorities had been there for generations

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Private Speech posted:

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's hard to understand why it happened, and that people then had reasons for it. The life under Nazi occupation was really exceedingly unpleasant for non-Germans.

There's A fine line between "understanding" a crime to empathize with its perpetrators, and justifying one. You are well past that line.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rumda posted:

That's not an equivalent situation a large majority of the German minorities had been there for generations

E: you know what nevermind, will keep the map for the map thread

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 9, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Digging to China is a lie (unless you live in Argentina or Chile). The world and its antipodes.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Thank you for assuring me that my fears of Austrialians bursting from the earth at any given moment are unwarranted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Digging to China is a lie (unless you live in Argentina or Chile)

:wrong:

You could also live in parts of Bolivia, Paraguay, or Peru.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
What if you just don't dig straight down?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Digging to China is a lie (unless you live in Argentina or Chile). The world and its antipodes.

This map shows very well just how much of the earth is ocean.

Also: where did this "digging to china" thing come from? As a kid I got it from Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

:wrong:

You could also live in parts of Bolivia, Paraguay, or Peru.

If you dig in Bolivia you’re going to hit Atlantis, dummy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pik_d posted:

Then hopefully you don't dig through an extremely hot and extremely radioactive lump of iron.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Count Roland posted:

This map shows very well just how much of the earth is ocean.

Also: where did this "digging to china" thing come from? As a kid I got it from Bugs Bunny cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4wZja2uu1M

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

pik_d posted:

But I want my bullet train that connects Spain and New Zealand!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, it would make it a lot easier to deliver the trains that Auckland city just bought from Spain.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Petition to rename New Zealand to Nuevo Mancha.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I was going to laugh at independent Ireland in 1880, but that's small beans. What the hell is going on with Austria-Hungary?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Vote share for the NSDAP in the last reichstag election with more than one party.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the soon-to-be-expelled Germans.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So the later-expelled Germans were the biggest Nazis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the clean hands Westphalia.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Autonomous Monster posted:

I was going to laugh at independent Ireland in 1880, but that's small beans. What the hell is going on with Austria-Hungary?

Ha, forgot that.

In case anyone cares, while it might make some sort of sense to distinguish Ireland from the rest of the UK in 1880 the northern border that shows up in the map absolutely did not exist then and such a concept was not even considered, there were no major political divisions within the country which was treated as a mostly single entity.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jehde posted:

Are we back to thinking guess the map posts are good for some reason?

Because I liked them and thread turned to poo poo once they were gone. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol at Finland being blue.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I but who made the map if Finland is blue but Hungary is not? Estonians?!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Also, shouldn't the Basque country be purple as well?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Swedish is quite understandable if you can speak English :colbert:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Also, shouldn't the Basque country be purple as well?

Idk but northwestern Latvian should be burned out of the map.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fabulous Knight posted:

Swedish is quite understandable if you can speak English :colbert:

But why is Swedes' English always completely unintelligible :thunk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

But why is Swedes' English always completely unintelligible :thunk:

You don't like having a poo poo shat with Swedes?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You don't like having a poo poo shat with Swedes?

They keep using my name in conversation when talking to me which is really annoying and more than a bit creepy. I know who I loving am what the gently caress is wrong with you?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

They keep using my name in conversation when talking to me which is really annoying and more than a bit creepy. I know who I loving am what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Sagebrush posted:

One of my favorite posts on these forums was someone talking about making fun of their Russian friend for saying things like "get in car" instead of "get in the car"

Her response to that was "maybe in America you have to say get in the car because you are all stupid retards and you might get in some other random car but in Russia we are smart and know which car you mean so we don't have to waste time with useless words"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah articles are completely redundant about 100% of the time. Even other common determiners are mostly useless rubbish. Like the possessive determiner in "I lost/couldn't find my keys" where in around 102% of the instances that phrase has ever been uttered in the history of the cosmos the my has been redundant due to context providing all the necessary information on whose loving keys you lost anyone could ever want.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why do we need words at all, just use grunts and gestures, pretentious fucks

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Phlegmish posted:

Why do we need words at all, just use grunts and gestures, pretentious fucks

The Office is way ahead of you:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

If online gaming is any indicator (it's not), then Americans don't have anything to fear on the collective IQ front.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

If online gaming is any indicator (it's not), then Americans don't have anything to fear on the collective IQ front.

Yeah American pubbies are consistently the worst and the dumbest.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Autonomous Monster posted:

And also, why does the projection shift south slightly in the second map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah American pubbies are consistently the worst and the dumbest.

Nah.