Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Funko had $426M in sales last year :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yawgmoth posted:

How much do you make that $30 for an ugly chunk of vinyl that only vaguely resembles the thing it's advertised to be is cheap?

They're like :10bux:, which is like perfect zero effort present range?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

They're like :10bux:, which is like perfect zero effort present range?

They have be dirt cheap to produce since 90% of them are just different colors.

E: I'd say most of the cost in producing a new one is acquiring the licensing rights.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

JB50 posted:

LOL if you dont think some people see them as investments.

Theyre the new Beanie Babies.

They make special editions that you can only get if you attend a Con. But yeah, in 10 years they will be worthless and 25 years from then they will popular again because of nostalgia.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

They make special editions that you can only get if you attend a Con. But yeah, in 10 years they will be worthless and 25 years from then they will popular again because of nostalgia.

So only applicable as a long term investment strategy is what you're saying.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The "Comic Con" exclusives get sold nationwide in normal retailers anyway. Those Pops are a plague. A woman in the next office over has a bunch, including one for dead Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks wrapped up in the tarp. Why would anyone want that!?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nerds weird hatred of funko pops will never make sense to me.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Same reason they hate anything, it's taking something that's "theirs" and making it for everyone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm rather indifferent honestly. I have no desire for them and I think they're just bland and/or meh at best. If anything my biggest gripe is that I'd much rather have something a bit less homogenized if I wanted to display something pop culture on my work desk.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've bought my share of plastic crap. Funko Pops are just bland and ugly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Funko is kinda annoying overexposed and so painfully generic I can see why there's people sick of them. Also they've made some less than stellar choices like Twin Peaks getting a Laura Palmer....'s corpse wrapped in plastic...figure and all.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Do people still buy McFarland action figures? At least those had articulating joints.

Funkos just look so weird. Like if you wanted all your favorite characters to look like they had fetal alcohol syndrome.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do people still buy McFarland action figures? At least those had articulating joints.

Plus they were detailed as gently caress, that reminds me I have a Good Ash and a Bad Ash somewhere in a box.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Do non-nerds really get into funko pops?

Anyway, there was a thriving inde scene growing around vinyl figures and funko pops totally crushed it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's more apathy coupled with a mild bafflement over what people choose to spend their money on :shrug:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Glazier posted:

Same reason they hate anything, it's taking something that's "theirs" and making it for everyone.

Look at these two acting like theyre not the nerds theyre talking about.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

there wolf posted:

Do non-nerds really get into funko pops?

Anyway, there was a thriving inde scene growing around vinyl figures and funko pops totally crushed it.

well I've never heard of them before this thread. :colbert:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

well I've never heard of them before this thread. :colbert:

Living a life free of Gamestop is probably a happier path.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

there wolf posted:

Living a life free of Gamestop is probably a happier path.

Speaking of, it surprises me that Gamestop exists, like who really shops there? I don't think I've set foot in one for at least 6 years, and it's not like there was anyone else there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I walked by the toy department of a supermarket just yesterday where the pops were on heavy display. I noticed among them were ones for Cars 3. Which yeah okay, that's a viable line I suppose, but they're cars, not people, without even heads separate from bodies to make into the super deformed shape that those figures are. I didn't examine them too closely but they were just...toy cars in a funko box. Like to the point where I wonder if they just rebranded a set of toys into the line to sell them to fools.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Iron Crowned posted:

Speaking of, it surprises me that Gamestop exists, like who really shops there? I don't think I've set foot in one for at least 6 years, and it's not like there was anyone else there.
I went to a Gamestop to get one of the Pokemon download codes they had as store exclusives last year and there were like five people in line ahead of me all buying at least one actual new video game.

I don't know who these people are, but they exist.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I went to a Gamestop to get one of the Pokemon download codes they had as store exclusives last year and there were like five people in line ahead of me all buying at least one actual new video game.

I don't know who these people are, but they exist.

People with bad internet?

Edit: Wait nevermind I forgot that Amazon was a thing for a second there. I got nothing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I like to have the actual discs because my stepson and I trade games. But now that half the store ....poo poo...3/4 of the store, is not games I rarely stop in.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Gamestop is about to launch signups for a rental service. $60 for 6 months, you get one used game at a time and trade it out whenever you want, and apparently you get to keep the last game you have when your 6 months expires.

I'm kind of intrigued but probably not enough to actually sign up. RIP Gamestop, you were always bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fumaofthelake posted:

Gamestop is about to launch signups for a rental service. $60 for 6 months, you get one used game at a time and trade it out whenever you want, and apparently you get to keep the last game you have when your 6 months expires.

I'm kind of intrigued but probably not enough to actually sign up. RIP Gamestop, you were always bad.

I used to do this, using their return policy

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

MacheteZombie posted:

I used to do this, using their return policy

I bet whatever marketing guy came up with this got a firm handshake and a half chub.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pr0zac posted:

So only applicable as a long term investment strategy is what you're saying.

hodl

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JB50 posted:

Look at these two acting like theyre not the nerds theyre talking about.

I don't hate funko tho?

They are trinkets that I wouldn't buy but a lot of nerds act like concerned parents from the 90s about.

Like nerds of all people being surprised other nerds like useless trinkets.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

one thing I've learned in the last few months is don't question anyones addiction to cheap ugly funko toys. if you don't get it, you never will, NERD!!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

People with bad internet?

Edit: Wait nevermind I forgot that Amazon was a thing for a second there. I got nothing.
In fairness, Amazon has been really bad with release-day shipping for specifically Nintendo games for the last year or so.

(they have had bad blood between them and Nintendo for some time now, and while it's improved it's not that good)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In fairness, Amazon has been really bad with release-day shipping for specifically Nintendo games for the last year or so.

(they have had bad blood between them and Nintendo for some time now, and while it's improved it's not that good)
Yeah but you still don't have to go to Gamestop to buy games in a brick-and-mortar store. Pretty much any big box store has major releases these days. You might even be able to pick up your preorder at midnight, depending on the release.

The only things that kept Gamestop afloat this long are selling overpriced used games(which are slowly dying out along with physical copies of games) and pushing subscriptions to their stupid gaming magazine. No wonder they're scrambling at anything vaguely game-related to keep the money coming in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It’s not so much that Funkos exist, more that no one knows what a reasonable number are. Like you never see just one Funko. It’s always an uncomfortably large nest of Funkos. I’d feel similar even if it was something cool like LEGO.

Also I have to keep reminding myself that Funko heads don’t bobble and it disappoints me. Like that might be cool.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sir Lemming posted:

The last time I was in a K-mart they were definitely playing '90s music.

But then again, it was the '90s.

Went to a K-Mart last Black Friday in a harebrained scheme to avoid the mobs. They were playing Christmas songs like most department stores but they were all instrumentals and seemed to be performed on an outdated 90's era MIDI machine like when you opened up a geocities site. There was also a giant tire-tread skidmark in the main aisle as if a pick-up truck had come through. That K-mart closed 2 months later.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
The Gamestop rental program is nearly the same thing Blockbuster tried before I quit in 2006.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s not so much that Funkos exist, more that no one knows what a reasonable number are. Like you never see just one Funko. It’s always an uncomfortably large nest of Funkos. I’d feel similar even if it was something cool like LEGO.

Also I have to keep reminding myself that Funko heads don’t bobble and it disappoints me. Like that might be cool.

Look at that poo poo, WTF?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JB50 posted:

Look at that poo poo, WTF?

At least b9 of those boxes have who I assume to be Spiderman on them :psyduck:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Iron Crowned posted:

At least b9 of those boxes have who I assume to be Spiderman on them :psyduck:

The 6 in a row are Deadpool, and I think the ones below and to the left are maskless Deadpool, for a combined total of 10 different deadpools.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Count Uvula posted:

The 6 in a row are Deadpool, and I think the ones below and to the left are maskless Deadpool, for a combined total of 10 different deadpools.

Actually the correct pluralization is 10 Deads Pool.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Funko is an autistic thing right? I guess all collections of weird obscure things are to a large degree tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Pretty sure they're all in alphabetical order with the last few starting with 'J'. The pic is only half the collection! :psyduck:

EDIT: Nevermind, now that I look at it more I see some that wouldn't fit in that sort of order.

Doggles has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Nov 9, 2017