Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/922841535384666113 The article the nazis are mad about : http://www.eugeneweekly.com/20171019/lead-story/antifa

I'd recommend against watching the video in the article from the tweet, since they didn't rehost it; it's on the nazis' account, and you don't want to give them YouTube views

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anthonypants posted:

https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/922841535384666113 The article the nazis are mad about : http://www.eugeneweekly.com/20171019/lead-story/antifa

I'd recommend against watching the video in the article from the tweet, since they didn't rehost it; it's on the nazis' account, and you don't want to give them YouTube views

I frequently use a few pages of the willamette week to start my charcoal for BBQing. How Nazi am I?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Don't forget to get your ballots in, you lazy shits!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We still have another day. I like to treat it like a HS book report.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HEY NONG MAN posted:

We still have another day. I like to treat it like a HS book report.
you have less than twenty-four hours

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Where are you guys that anything important is on your ballot?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Vancouver.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pander posted:

Vancouver.

Jesus, you guys have a lot on that ballot for an off-year election. No wonder Vancouver skews conservative.

Nocts
Apr 22, 2008
Soiled Meat
Seattle is choosing its mayor, too.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Nocts posted:

Seattle is choosing its mayor, too.

Yes, and it's terrible. It's like Hillary vs. Bernie all over again, except if Bernie had never held elected office and had only demonstrated activism in ways that benefited his property values.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
King County voter turn out is only 20% right now

http://www.king5.com/news/politics/low-voter-turnout-heading-into-election-day/489734877

I figure at least for Seattle, the whole mayor thing might be incentive to get out and vote. Maybe alot of people don't see big difference in Moon v Durken I guess? ugh.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

therobit posted:

Where are you guys that anything important is on your ballot?

Everett is electing a mayor and the city council.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

therobit posted:

Jesus, you guys have a lot on that ballot for an off-year election. No wonder Vancouver skews conservative.

During MNF last night there were several times where both port commissioner candidates had commercials running back-to-back.

There's a LOT going into that race because it'll basically determine if the port becomes an oil terminal or not.

Comparatively a lot of other races are laughers, and it doesn't necessarily skew conservative. The conservative mayoral candidate was on the ballot but had withdrawn from the race two months ago. One of the races for city council is between a sensible liberal and a lolbertarian who wants to institute a local currency based on precious metals. Pretty sure the liberal's gonna win.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm expecting Cary Moon to lose badly today, sadly.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pander posted:

One of the races for city council is between a sensible liberal and a lolbertarian who wants to institute a local currency based on precious metals. Pretty sure the liberal's gonna win.

oh god it gets even better

The Columbian posted:

Her opponent, meanwhile, does not possess the same deep understanding of the issues facing the city. Justin Forsman is an unconventional candidate who has an earnest desire to help improve city management, but that desire is overshadowed by Topper’s community involvement and the insight she has gleaned from it.

For example, one of Forsman’s campaign planks this year is to advocate for the creation of a city currency, backed by silver. “If it caught on, it could branch out to the county,” he told the editorial board. “It happens all the time.” The Columbian has reported, however: “While community currencies do exist across the U.S., no city has replaced the dollar with its own currency.” In the past, Forsman has appeared before the city council to complain about chemtrails from airplanes poisoning the populace.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/oct/17/in-our-view-re-elect-topper-to-vancouver-city-council/

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

He's very connected with Clark County; for instance, he saw the graffiti under all the freeway overpasses.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I'm expecting Cary Moon to lose badly today, sadly.
Yeah, it's hard to say for sure due to the lack of effective polling (sorry, landline-only polling company that said Hasegawa and McGinn were going to win the primary, you don't count), but I'm pretty confident it's gonna be a beat down.

May as well have re-elected Nickels.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, it's hard to say for sure due to the lack of effective polling (sorry, landline-only polling company that said Hasegawa and McGinn were going to win the primary, you don't count), but I'm pretty confident it's gonna be a beat down.

May as well have re-elected Nickels.

Because we definitely need more single family nimby bullshit *sighs*

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gently caress the Stranger forever for endorsing Moon in the primary. We get to vote for the millionaire who knows what's best for poor people over the one who does what the chamber of commerce says.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

George posted:

gently caress the Stranger forever for endorsing Moon in the primary. We get to vote for the millionaire who knows what's best for poor people over the one who does what the chamber of commerce says.

From everything I can tell, she mainly ran for mayor to boost her Civic profile. Suddenly she gets a big newspaper endorsement and get second place. Then she realizes she has to campaign, and isn't very good at it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Vancouver went pretty progressive today. Greene got crushed, gently caress yeah.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Seattles mayor race sounded like a pair of poor options, for once I was glad not to be registered in Seattle.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In probably tonight's most important race in Washington (arguably the most important on the West Coast), Manka Dhinghra is beating Jinyoung Lee Englund 55-45 in early returns. if I had to choose one race to win, that would have been it.

Given that Dhingra is the lefty, that bodes exceptionally well for her; later votes are unlikely to skew right, so we may very well finally have an actually Democratic majority in the Senate, assuming nobody Rodney Tom's them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

George posted:

The Stranger is complete and total poo poo and folks in this area need to recognize that being sarcastic isn't a replacement for being actual journalists or otherwise taking the time to really understand local politics.

They used to actually move voters but not anymore.

George
Nov 27, 2004

The primary was close enough that had the Stranger endorsed Oliver she would have gotten in the race.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

George posted:

The primary was close enough that had the Stranger endorsed Oliver she would have gotten in the race.

Is it possible that people liked Moon's platform over Oliver's?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

George posted:

Does anyone think Oliver would have beaten Durkan though? I'd prefer Moon or Oliver over Durkan, but I don't see that Oliver had a path to victory that wasn't available to Moon.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

twodot posted:

Does anyone think Oliver would have beaten Durkan though? I'd prefer Moon or Oliver over Durkan, but I don't see that Oliver had a path to victory that wasn't available to Moon.

It would have been a different race especially given how easily Durkan liked to use Oliver as a prop. Lots more handwringing from people since I don't think Oliver would have been any less outspoken either. I think we would have witnessed a lot of really really gross poo poo from a lot of different corners of the city.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

twodot posted:

I know several people, myself included, who disliked Moon's lack of credentials in leadership or government service enough to vote Durkan but wouldn't have had the same problem with Oliver. So maybe.

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 8, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Memnaelar posted:

I know several people, myself included, who disliked Moon's lack of credentials in leadership or government service enough to vote Durkan who wouldn't have had the same problem with Oliver. So maybe.
But Oliver didn't possess any credentials in leadership or government service? Like this isn't a dig on Oliver, Moon didn't either, I just don't understand someone saying the educator/attorney has more credentials than the urban planner/business manager.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

twodot posted:

But Oliver didn't possess any credentials in leadership or government service? Like this isn't a dig on Oliver, Moon didn't either, I just don't understand someone saying the educator/attorney has more credentials than the urban planner/business manager.

She had pro bono attorney work, she's actually set foot (and teaches) in Seattle public schools, and her community organizing, unlike Moon's, doesn't have any question of ulterior motives in my book. While Durkan still has more experience over both of them, Oliver's was enough to give her my vote over Durkan's, whereas Moon's was not.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think Oliver would have rallied more leftist votes but ultimately would have fallen short of Durkan's money machine.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

seiferguy posted:

I think Oliver would have rallied more leftist votes but ultimately would have fallen short of Durkan's money machine.

It wasn't just the money. It would have been falling short behind a white candidate promising to keep the fragile people of seattle safe from the dirty homeless people.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I voted for Moon because she had concrete ideas instead of the buzzword laden political responses from Oliver like "we're taking a multifaceted approach to the housing crisis". Moon talked about real policy changes that would improve the housing situation like re-zoning and increasing the mandatory affordable housing laws/taxes for developers.

Doesn't matter now but it would've been nice to have someone with practical ideas who doesn't turn every response into political drivel intended to make people feel good but doesn't actually say much. Also I don't see how a teacher/attorney is more qualified to run a city than an urban planner/engineer...

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 8, 2017

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Moon wasn't nearly aggressive enough. She should have had the Murray endorsement plastered everywhere, especially after Durkan was citing the McGinn endorsement incessantly.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Moon wasn't nearly aggressive enough. She should have had the Murray endorsement plastered everywhere, especially after Durkan was citing the McGinn endorsement incessantly.

Endorsed By Child Rapist Ed Murray

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I don't watch a lot of TV but my girlfriend does. She said Durkan ran a ton of attack ads on Moon that got kind of nasty. Moon could have easily done that, but I guess chalk that up to lack of experience, lack of funds or trying to be above attack ads. Oh well. Cary Moon got what she wanted, though. Everyone in Seattle knows who she is now.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The one ad I saw this season was Durkan saying that Moon saying she would stop sweeping homeless camps was anti-progressive. Imagine voting for the person who put out that bullshit.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Dhingra has it in the bag, but you guys need to check out this "attack" ad if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjjZmn-7IAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

Either way it's bizarre to me that we basically reelected Nickels. Did people really only vote against him because he didn't salt roads?