Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Have there been good Zeldas with like modern or scifi settings? Aside from MML.

Arkham Asylum. I'm serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Does Bloodborne count as science fiction?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

Have there been good Zeldas with like modern or scifi settings? Aside from MML.

Not that I can think of, there's one or two indie games that are sci-fi-y and borrow stuff from 2D Zeldas, like Hyper Light Drifter, but I wouldn't really call them Zelda-like games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

Arkham Asylum. I'm serious.

I was thinking of AA but it's much closer to Metroid than Zelda to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

yea

i hear this game is great but i haven't tried it yet, it's billed as a procedurally generated sci fi zelda:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367080/Songbringer/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tap my mountain posted:

Does Bloodborne count as science fiction?

Not science fiction and also nothing like Zelda

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Not science fiction and also nothing like Zelda
Bloodborne is a little bit sci-fi, but yeah it doesn't really count.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think you'll find that Zelda and souls games have 1:1 similarities if you ignore the elements that make Zelda unique.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That recent Zeldaish roguelike, Songbringer, had heavy sci-fi elements. It was also really bad

Forever now people on the internet have wanted a grimdark sci-fi actual Zelda game which just goes to prove that people in the internet are loving stupid.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'm replaying Secret of Mana on the SNES classic (yes I know the remake is coming) and oh man the old impulse to skill up every weapon / magic is back, baby

The remake looks like poo poo anyway, so might as well play the original.

al-azad posted:

But if you like the fluff et al of Zelda then MML is Conan/Laputa wrapped in a hilarious package.

I can't speculate on MINT IN BOX toys with Threads of Fate.

BFM is a game that was just a couple tweaks shy of being 9/10. The terrible rear end steam factory levels for starters. But bonus points for beating Ocarina and having a far better clock system than Majora. Why did it take video games so long for a REST FOR X HOURS function to be a thing?

Ultima IV had that feature in 1985

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

I think you'll find that Zelda and souls games have 1:1 similarities if you ignore the elements that make Zelda unique.

Hey now, you also have to ignore the elements that make DS unique.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

And Gurumin is actually best Musashi, also a Falcom game nobody played.

i really don't like gurumin. it feels really floaty and slow and the translation feels very weird in that it's not really super stiff but also not very funny or memorable, while zwei 2 and nayuta are much more in line with how musashi plays and have way more memorable writing and fun gameplay (though uh, the actually good translation for nayuta is a long long way off)

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 9, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

That recent Zeldaish roguelike, Songbringer, had heavy sci-fi elements. It was also really bad

Forever now people on the internet have wanted a grimdark sci-fi actual Zelda game which just goes to prove that people in the internet are loving stupid.

I don't care about grimdark unless it leans in so far it wraps around to being goofy like 40k, but scifi is cool and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

"hi welcome to my 70 minute video about why mario good"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sci-fi is cool but Zelda doesn't really need to be sci-fi.

Like I wouldn't mind a Zelda like game in a scifi setting but I also don't see what it being actually Zelda would add.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

I think it's a zelda, there's one overworld and a series of dungeons you go into in a fixed sequence that don't connect to each other.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
People have been making fanart of Scifi Zelda with an Epona bike ever since OoT, it's one of those insane things that a lot of people just happen to agree with

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Like I wouldn't mind a Zelda like game in a scifi setting but I also don't see what it being actually Zelda would add.

Yeah I meant Zelda like there, not explicitly Zelda. Zelda-like just sounds as dumb as Souls-like.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Yeah I meant Zelda like there, not explicitly Zelda. Zelda-like just sounds as dumb as Souls-like.

Yea, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was talking more about the above mentioned fan art of badass bike Epona and things like it that I still see people online bring up from time to time as a thing Zelda needs to do.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Botw is scif-fi

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ostentatious posted:

"hi welcome to my 70 minute video about why mario good"

Game Maker's Toolkit did something similar but it's only 12 minutes and more informative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KVEjhT4wQ

Olive! posted:

Botw is scif-fi

Both BOTW and Splatoon are post-apocalyptic games, which I really dig

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean Skyward Sword was already halfway there

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BotW is already sci-fi in that clockwork robots and indecipherable-from-magic Miyazaki way.

Now if someone wants all my dollars they'll make a Dying Earth game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

link's sick bike in mario kart is pretty good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yea, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was talking more about the above mentioned fan art of badass bike Epona and things like it that I still see people online bring up from time to time as a thing Zelda needs to do.

homeless snail posted:

link's sick bike in mario kart is pretty good

When Nintendo revealed the concept art Link is literally riding a motorcycle so if the next Zelda game is Metal Max I'm down. Just please don't have Zelda turn into the motorcycle like Metal Max.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

When Nintendo revealed the concept art Link is literally riding a motorcycle so if the next Zelda game is Metal Max I'm down. Just please don't have Zelda turn into the motorcycle like Metal Max.

Fi is now the Master Cycle

I detect a 90% probability of sweet jumps

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A Zelda that is ZoE, with Fi as Jehuty/ADA, though she'd never deliver as much sass.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else find it hilarious comparing Odyssey to Sonic Forces and seeing the massive quality disparity

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Doesn't really seem hilarious to me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone else find it hilarious comparing Odyssey to Sonic Forces and seeing the massive quality disparity

The flagship title of a billion dollar videogame console producer was better than a budget title from Sega?!?!?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

just compare it to the other sonic game that came out this year

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Both Sonic and Mario have had pretty good years.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Mario vs Sonic hasn't been relevant since 1996

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if nintendo wants to make a sci-fi game they can always bring back Mach Rider and do a dystopia cyberpunk thing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they make a new f-zero game except between races captain falcon gets out of his machine and walks around mute city and its just yakuza

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Mario vs Sonic hasn't been relevant since 1996

They already settled it at multiple olympic games

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Surprised there wasn't a Nabbit cameo in Odyssey given all the other rabbits.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

They already settled it at multiple olympic games

This gif looping before the finish of the race aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

raditts posted:

The remake looks like poo poo anyway, so might as well play the original.

looks like poo poo AND will cost forty american dollars, don't forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nabbit :clap: deserves :clap: his :clap: own :clap: game :clap:

• Locked thread