Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

WampaLord posted:

You order multiple sizes and return the ones that don't fit. Many online clothing retailers allow you to do this.

this, realistically clothing should start dropping in price and anything that doesn't fit proper could just be tailored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

you say this as retail malls have peaked and there hasn't been a new specialty store for strip malls that actually brings in people nowadays and amazon is a namebrand online shopping destination

that doesn't address what i said at all though?

"when will malls be unprofitable"

"never, they have built in advantages"

"but you ADMIT they aren't growing, yes?"

thats two different arguments broham

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Where do you live that you can't get Prime shipping?

Canada. I had prime free for a couple months and spent those months actively looking for anything to buy that I needed/wanted and was a good deal and came up with zero things. Also searching on amazon is such a pain that it was literally faster to go to a shop and physically browse for the things I wanted than use their terrible mostly uncategorized search system.

The only time buying online makes sense and is cheap is if I'm buying poo poo direct from China or something and don't mind waiting a month or more on shipping. Like if I need 100 pre-soldered micro LED's or some other electronics parts I can save about 75% vs buying from a local electronics source. If I need hobby supplies like paints and model and poo poo, buying online is usually a better deal than buying from a local brick and mortar hobby shop if I'm doing a big order. For smaller orders the minimum shipping and handling makes buying online more expensive. Like sure that paint that's $5 at the hobby shop is $3.50 online but they charge $8 shipping. If I just need one or two it's so much easier to just pop out the door and be back in 20 min with what I need. I don't wear glasses but my wife does and she uses clearlycontacts and saves a ton, the markup on glasses at retail is insane. She can buy one get one free for about 2/3 of what she's pay for a single pair retail, and they offer free returns if you don't like how they look on you which takes a lot of the worry out.

The only other things I spend money on are clothes and food. I've not found any online sources for clothing that end up cheaper than retail or have a free return policy if I don't like the fit, nor have I found an online replacement for grocery shopping that ends up cheaper or more convenient. Online grocery is still very much a "pay for the convenience" sort of service here and gently caress trusting someone else to pick my produce.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magius1337est posted:

Because more retail is changing to that new outdoor lifestyle experience poo poo or possibly into urban centers where there's more foot traffic, the greater square footage also gives them more opportunity to sell a larger variety of clothes

Those are largely doing bad like indoor malls, because they're just overgrown strip malls and have the same issue as normal malls (namely: too many were built in too many places that couldn't sustain enough of a customer base long-term). Also there's no guarantee that your slot in one of those is going to be less expensive or larger than a slot in an indoor mall.

Not to mention that tons of brands have no interest in spending the massive amount of money to develop their own retail store chains to replace what the retailers do for them now.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

that doesn't address what i said at all though?

"when will malls be unprofitable"

"never, they have built in advantages"

"but you ADMIT they aren't growing, yes?"

thats two different arguments broham

the only thing malls have is the allure of brands but realistically the way fashion is turning into cheap mass produced poo poo anyone can make its inevitable people would rather buy that poo poo online, once that happens clothing and fashion turns into a commodity and there's going to be a rush to the bottom for prices and the money mall stores bring in aren't going to cover rent

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Baronjutter posted:

Canada. I had prime free for a couple months and spent those months actively looking for anything to buy that I needed/wanted and was a good deal and came up with zero things. Also searching on amazon is such a pain that it was literally faster to go to a shop and physically browse for the things I wanted than use their terrible mostly uncategorized search system.

The only time buying online makes sense and is cheap is if I'm buying poo poo direct from China or something and don't mind waiting a month or more on shipping. Like if I need 100 pre-soldered micro LED's or some other electronics parts I can save about 75% vs buying from a local electronics source. If I need hobby supplies like paints and model and poo poo, buying online is usually a better deal than buying from a local brick and mortar hobby shop if I'm doing a big order. For smaller orders the minimum shipping and handling makes buying online more expensive. Like sure that paint that's $5 at the hobby shop is $3.50 online but they charge $8 shipping. If I just need one or two it's so much easier to just pop out the door and be back in 20 min with what I need. I don't wear glasses but my wife does and she uses clearlycontacts and saves a ton, the markup on glasses at retail is insane. She can buy one get one free for about 2/3 of what she's pay for a single pair retail, and they offer free returns if you don't like how they look on you which takes a lot of the worry out.

The only other things I spend money on are clothes and food. I've not found any online sources for clothing that end up cheaper than retail or have a free return policy if I don't like the fit, nor have I found an online replacement for grocery shopping that ends up cheaper or more convenient. Online grocery is still very much a "pay for the convenience" sort of service here and gently caress trusting someone else to pick my produce.

ok well you're in canada where poo poo has to be shipped to the arctic and a polar bear will kill your package deliverer

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magius1337est posted:

the only thing malls have is the allure of brands but realistically the way fashion is turning into cheap mass produced poo poo anyone can make its inevitable people would rather buy that poo poo online, once that happens clothing and fashion turns into a commodity and there's going to be a rush to the bottom for prices and the money mall stores bring in aren't going to cover rent

No, this isn't true.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

fishmech posted:

No, this isn't true.

jc penny, nordstrom, and macys are failing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

malls also have geographic proximity, a legit customer experience, not needing to wait or pay for shipping, being able to physically handle your merchandise before you pay for it, etc.

all kinds of tactile things which people other than you preference because i kind of suspect you spend most of your day staring at a screen

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Magius1337est posted:

ok well you're in canada where poo poo has to be shipped to the arctic and a polar bear will kill your package deliverer
I mean, I have no idea how awful Prime shipping is outside the US (and I assume it's fine in western Europe as well thanks to population density?)

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

malls also have geographic proximity, a legit customer experience, not needing to wait or pay for shipping, being able to physically handle your merchandise before you pay for it, etc.

all kinds of tactile things which people other than you preference because i kind of suspect you spend most of your day staring at a screen

I literally live right next to a mall and the only reason I'd ever go is to shop for clothes

I can drive over there and spend an hour walking around and trying on clothes at each store because each retailer has a different size for medium and large

instead now I just either try on one thing that fits and buy direct from the brand online or through amazon by searching for my size or something that's cheap enough where size won't really matter

either way in both those cases the store isn't getting revenue to pay its rent

and besides when you're buying clothing even if you have to wait a week for it to ship it's much nicer to get the actual clothing you wanted since you're going to be wearing it for the rest of your life than trying to buy whatever else the store had in stock since everyone else bought the size you needed

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Magius1337est posted:

I guarantee you nowadays you're more likely to find exactly what you're looking for the first time instead of trying to think of what you want and heading to a retail store and seeing if what they offer is anything close to what you want. And most people are paying for prime nowadays anyways. Also you can just print a new label at home and drop it off outside your house and it'll get picked up.

I dont have amazon prime, or a printer

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
really the only thing that kept retail alive in the past was baby boomers buying poo poo for their children and now that millenials know its cheaper and easier to buy online the lifespan of these stores is measured in baby boomer birthdays

how many people do you know that would willingly pay bestbuy prices for electronics?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

I literally live right next to a mall and the only reason I'd ever go is to shop for clothes

I can drive over there and spend an hour walking around and trying on clothes at each store because each retailer has a different size for medium and large

instead now I just either try on one thing that fits and buy direct from the brand online or through amazon by searching for my size or something that's cheap enough where size won't really matter

either way in both those cases the store isn't getting revenue to pay its rent

and besides when you're buying clothing even if you have to wait a week for it to ship it's much nicer to get the actual clothing you wanted since you're going to be wearing it for the rest of your life than trying to buy whatever else the store had in stock since everyone else bought the size you needed

ok sorry about your abnormal consumer spending habits that you're trying to extrapolate across an entire economy for some weird reason

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"i am an extreme couponer and i only eat bulk pasta and beans, if these trends continue i would expect the fresh produce industry to collapse in a decade or so"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

got any sevens posted:

I dont have amazon prime, or a printer

That's fine and all, but as of the beginning of last year nearly half of all US households were subscribed to Prime. I suspect those numbers are way the gently caress higher when you start cutting out older demographics too. It's okay to talk about Prime as if its a really common thing because it is.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

ok sorry about your abnormal consumer spending habits that you're trying to extrapolate across an entire economy for some weird reason

my baby boomer mother can buy a 3 pack of collard shirts on amazon for my dad for cheaper and easier than looking and buying it at a mall

retail right now has fallen into the death trap of trying to rely on impulse purchases, the problem is this is unsustainable as more and more people find out buying online is better so in order for these retail models to work youre going to need to build stores in more densely populated areas

a few years ago bestbuy tried building a store about 5 minutes away from another one that was in the heart of a suburb because they thought that having one on a major crossroad would be able to sustain it in this big shopping center

fastforward and the one in the suburb is barely holding on since everyone shops online and the new one closed within 3 months

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
...i dont know if i, let me put this politely, find you to be a credible descriptor of how the typical person interacts with retail, guy

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

...i dont know if i, let me put this politely, find you to be a credible descriptor of how the typical person interacts with retail, guy

yes I loved the immediate retail experience when I tried to buy an audio controller at guitar center where I had to drive to the one store in the city that had it for the price I wanted, looked around the store, and then spent 10 minutes having the cashier harass me for my phone number, email, and then finally physical address just to buy the god damned thing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ok

e: i flicked my ponytail, said "you'll never see me in this store again, i'm shopping on-line and as the mook stood there mouth agape everyone else in the store (which was only two people) applauded

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Baronjutter posted:

How do you make sure clothing is a perfect fit and the colour is right and everything just sits on you nice when buying online??

I know this should get me the guillotine.....but the Indochino made to measure model is pretty great.

WampaLord posted:

You order multiple sizes and return the ones that don't fit. Many online clothing retailers allow you to do this.

This too. It's becoming pretty standard.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

You're both doing the incredibly human thing of thinking your own experience is "the norm" but you're being smugger about it, so good job I guess.

Maybe you should post some stats showing that physical retail is expanding and online shopping is dying down if you want to actually prove anything instead of pointlessly snipe at someone.

E: VVV So your argument is that there exists a silent majority of people who secretly love physical retail and you're not even one of those people?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 9, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

You're both doing the incredibly human thing of thinking your own experience is "the norm" but you're being smugger about it, so good job I guess.

no? i'm not the norm either, i hardly ever buy anything. lol that you think i have to position myself in the middle in order to point out that someone else is abnormal tho, that's good logickin' there chief

VV i'm not sure you're aware of how or why i'm making fun of you, this is getting a little sad

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 9, 2017

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

ok

e: i flicked my ponytail, said "you'll never see me in this store again, i'm shopping on-line and as the mook stood there mouth agape everyone else in the store (which was only two people) applauded

anything I want that's audio I can get exactly what I want for cheaper on amazon

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

no? i'm not the norm either, i hardly ever buy anything. lol that you think i have to position myself in the middle in order to point out that someone else is abnormal tho, that's good logickin' there chief

would you like to buy an extended warranty?

would you like to sign up for our exclusive rewards card?

can I interest you in a high interest credit card?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The worst thing about Amazon is the fact their store is chock full of fake products.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
you guys can add sports retailers to the list, if you're not selling something expensive or exclusive like snowboards or guns or something you can either go to walmart or target and get a football and equipment or buy it online

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magius1337est posted:

jc penny, nordstrom, and macys are failing

And Wal-Mart and Target are succeeding and tons of malls have them now.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

fishmech posted:

And Wal-Mart and Target are succeeding and tons of malls have them now.

these stores aren't charging mall brand prices for their clothes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I see we've reached the "anyone who goes to a physical store to buy anything is abnormal" part of the thread cycle.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Badger of Basra posted:

I see we've reached the "anyone who goes to a physical store to buy anything is abnormal" part of the thread cycle.

how long until gamestop disappears?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magius1337est posted:

these stores aren't charging mall brand prices for their clothes

Yeah they are.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

WampaLord posted:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. How much money do you have that you can just order three of everything? If I want a shirt that costs $20 I'm not paying a loving $40 security deposit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. How much money do you have that you can just order three of everything? If I want a shirt that costs $20 I'm not paying a loving $40 security deposit.

It'd be completely transparent to you if you had a credit card. Like a hotel's or rental car company's security deposit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

hobbesmaster posted:

It'd be completely transparent to you if you had a credit card. Like a hotel's or rental car company's security deposit.

This is some capitalism.txt nonsense.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

WampaLord posted:

Yeah this wouldn't be a pain in the rear end at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Magius1337est posted:

EB Games down under sells more game themed merchandise than actual games at this point. Plus hardware accessories.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Presto posted:

Yeah this wouldn't be a pain in the rear end at all.

As someone who runs the e commerce marketing for a UK fashion brand, this is the norm. Free returns are a standard on the majority of online fashion retail. Its essential for women and becoming that way for men. A 30% return rate is the gold standard in industry, and some stores like Next have upwards of a 60% return rate as people buy multiple options, not necessarily in size but also style when the intention is always to only keep one.

Get your order, put the ones you don't like in the provided returns bag and either drop it off at a local store that doubles as a collection point, or fling it in the post.

Its pretty normal now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

serious gaylord posted:

As someone who runs the e commerce marketing for a UK fashion brand, this is the norm.

i can see this for fashion and people who buy and sell a high volume of clothes yearly but i dunno how well this would work for like, cheapo work slacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Magius1337est posted:

To this day, I still don't understand why the mall near me back in late high school had three GameStops.