Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Not pretending it's apocryphal. I'm recognizing that they're just much worse in quality than the original trilogy and TFA. Actors phoned in performances. The scripts for all three were atrocious. I'm not even leveling criticism like some nerd who's miffed that what they thought should happen didn't happen. I'm saying that what was released was poorly made and mostly incoherent with some good ideas sprinkled over and not on the same tier as the OT and TFA.
If you're intentionally not leveling criticism, and instead saying that it's "Just Bad," I think it's simpler if you just leave it at that. "Prequels = Just Bad." Why say any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

If you're intentionally not leveling criticism, and instead saying that it's "Just Bad," I think it's simpler if you just leave it at that. "Prequels = Just Bad." Why say any more?

You just quoted criticism. Writing was something from a first draft for all three and needed serious treatment. Key actors gave poor performances. Others were just hosed by how their characters were written.

Maybe you misread what I said about my type of complaint? I was stating that unlike many fans who have their ideal movie in their head of what it SHOULD have been, I was judging what we were given. It makes very little sense to fault a film for what YOU thought should have happened (which happens a lot around here). I just judge the film that is given to me.

As far as "why say more?" Because this is a film discussion forum. The gist of the premise is that you at least attempt to get specific with your complaints.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So, it's true, you narrow down from Prequels = Just Bad to (Writing and Acting) = Just Bad

I do not think that is specific. Things like "this seems like something from a first draft" and "I'm just recognizing that the quality is low" are just ways of adding words and obscuring the underlying point (that you just don't like it). It's not critique.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 9, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

So, it's true, you narrow down from Prequels = Just Bad to (Writing and Acting) = Just Bad

I do not think that is specific. Things like "this seems like something from a first draft" and "I'm just recognizing that the quality is low" are just ways of adding words and obscuring the underlying point (that you just don't like it). It's not critique.

I mentioned two specific elements of the films that were among the weakest -- acting and script. Endemic to all three movies. We can explore them both, but I kind of get the feeling like you don't even want to hear it because your entire comment comes across as argumentative.

RE: the script. The dialogue itself is really awful at times and there are generally well known examples (eg, sand; dialogue between Dooku and Yoda; et al.) so I won't dwell on that. I will mention that there are some good ideas sprinkled throughout but they are often mishandled to the extremes. I will just go through a few that stick out in my mind.

The pod race was one of the most well filmed and exciting sequences in the entire trilogy, and it and a few other elements keep TPM aloft / above the other two stories for me. It takes up a significant amount of time in the story. Only problem is that it doesn't do anything with the characters because the story never allowed it. Its entire purpose is to serve as a vehicle to put Anakin in custody of the Jedi and move the plot forward. The race is itself exciting, but instead of showing how Anakin is the child prodigy that he's made out to be with him doing hard work and figuring out how to succeed against all odds, winning the race just comes natural to him with near-zero effort. It was portrayed as a fluke. No time in a simulator. No test runs. He's an auto-mechanic that wings it. That's a weak rear end character. Notice what I'm not saying? I don't hold it against Jake Lloyd at all; he was a child actor that acted like a child should. We're not shown that Anakin is special, we're only told that. What we see happen during the race doesn't actually support that claim. I'm emphasizing the pod race here because it's given a lot of weight in the film, but it happens during the entire movie and trilogy -- "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" *stumbles rear end backwards into blowing up a mothership like one of the three stooges.* By the end of the first film, we're left with the impression that Qui-gon might be a creepy uncle with his insistence that Anakin be trained. Because he sure doesn't seem like anything other than a lucky pilot. The whole "overcoming an impossible" challenge didn't happen. He's just some lucky kid who Qui-gon might have eventually gone to jail over.

Perhaps the best ideas among the entire prequel trilogy were the political plots. Completely wasted potential due to bad writing / storytelling. I actually liked that TPM was set into motion because of a massive intergalactic battle of good and evil a loving trade dispute??? What the gently caress? It was original. It had great potential. But nothing is done to actually get us from dispute -> blockade -> ground invasion. No one does anything to make anything happen. Things just happen. The queen wants to defend Naboo but just kind of says things and complains. The Jedi are established as being political diplomats / spies because??? They decide to go to Naboo and basically act like jerks to everyone and generally suck at their jobs. We're shown that there is a literal phantom menace pulling the strings of the trade federation and are to assume they have a competent plan, but at the same time Palpatine wants to force a treaty to be signed so that he can legalize an occupation of his home planet and remove the reason for him to advance to chancellor??? How in the gently caress did that even make it into a first draft without someone noticing a glaring problem from point A to point B? The entire premise was mishandled and didn't even make sense on a basic level. It actually annoys me that people choose to complain about Jar Jar instead of the fact that the whole plot makes zero sense. Have they even explained this poo poo in the EU? Just kidding, I don't care if they did. If they missed the boat with the film, I'm not going to give a poo poo about a dumb comic to retcon it.

The political plot in AOTC was handled better, but it still had the problem of not affecting the characters. It was just Palpatine rising to power and the Jedi being a bunch of incompetent weirdos. The thing that most affected Anakin in that one was his mother's death at the hands of sand people. He reacts by being a complete psycho and is alienated from the audience because of it. This weakens his change from child prodigy to the dark side. Why not write a script with elements of actual tragedy? In great tragedies, the audience can at least sympathize or identify with the fall of a hero. You can at least root for them and be saddened when they hit that point of no return. We're not given a good reason for Anakin to have his views soured on the world / society due to the death of his mother or <insert pet issue to establish actual motivations>. It's just "I killed their loving children Padme... honey... baby.. don't you love me?" Jesus Christ then she marries the dude after he talks about sand and murders loving children. Do I really need to keep going on about this and how the writing is loving atrocious?

anticipating "so film needs more politics?! porg"

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Red Tails was actually a good movie with a positive message.

I know this because the 2012 national champion Alabama football team watched it during their team meeting and proceeded to beat the everloving poo poo out of Notre Dame on live television the next day.

Maybe they were just so mad that that movie existed that they decided they had to punish someone for it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

instead of showing how Anakin is the child prodigy that he's made out to be with him doing hard work and figuring out how to succeed against all odds, winning the race just comes natural to him with near-zero effort. It was portrayed as a fluke. No time in a simulator. No test runs. He's an auto-mechanic that wings it. That's a weak rear end character. Notice what I'm not saying? I don't hold it against Jake Lloyd at all; he was a child actor that acted like a child should. We're not shown that Anakin is special, we're only told that.
It is impossible for me to read this as anything but you saying "this isn't the movie I thought it was supposed to be." I bring this up only because you were claiming that you're not doing that.

We're shown that Anakin repeatedly succeeds effectively by accident. He is incredibly lucky. How is that not special? Was Luke able to hit the one in a million shot on the death star because of training, or because he's always been incredibly gifted for no good reason? Anakin's repeated successes are precisely showing how the Force works, just like it makes Jar Jar stumble into helping in the big battle "just because."

quote:

The queen wants to defend Naboo but just kind of says things and complains.
What else do queens do?

Sorry for repeated edits, but what do you mean about Palpatine's plan in Naboo? How does that remove the reason for him to advance to Chancellor?

Martman fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 9, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Martman posted:

What else do queens do?

Sometimes they band together with the planet's native population and then personally lead a task force to capture the leaders behind the subjugation of their people.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Sometimes they band together with the planet's native population and then personally lead a task force to capture the leaders behind the subjugation of their people.
Well yeah, but she only convinces the Gungans by saying things! And complaining.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Martman posted:

It is impossible for me to read this as anything but you saying "this isn't the movie I thought it was supposed to be." I bring this up only because you were claiming that you're not doing that.

This is kind of an obnoxious way to talk to porgs if you're trying to actually have a discussion.

quote:

We're shown that Anakin repeatedly succeeds effectively by accident. He is incredibly lucky. How is that not special? Was Luke able to hit the one in a million shot on the death star because of training, or because he's always been incredibly gifted for no good reason?

Porg to unnamed Rebel porg: "I used to bullseye porgs in my T-16 back home, and they weren't bigger than two meters..."

The impression I get is that Porg got plenty of target practice, and the Porg provided extra guidance. In contrast, young Porg has the Force basically take over in order for him to get out of jams.

quote:

Anakin's repeated successes are precisely showing how the Force works, just like it makes Jar Jar stumble into helping in the big battle "just because."

The Porg works in seemingly arbitrary ways, if that's the case.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 9, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
spoiler thread?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TheMaestroso posted:

This is kind of an obnoxious way to talk to someone if you're trying to actually have a discussion.
It's also kind of obnoxious when people hide criticisms behind "look I'm just recognizing that the quality is objectively low" etc., but hey I don't mind.

The Force having an arbitrary quality to it is one of the big revelations of the prequel trilogy I think. What are midiporgians if not an acknowledgement that Anakin is powerful for no real reason except dumb genetic luck (or engineering, but whatever)? It's explicitly saying that this power is just straight up in your DNA.

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 9, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

^^ Oh, sorry - I fixed my post to reflect that.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Consume porgflesh to grow strong

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Jeb! Repetition posted:

By the way there's no point in trying to decide whether the prequels or TFA are worse because the ways they're bad are so different. Maybe even the exact inverse of each other.

That's how I view them. Neither of them particularly do anything for me as entertaining films. The prequels feel like there's passion behind them, even if they misstep and botch things. The sequels feel bland and safe but I doubt there'll be anything in them that make for interesting readings like the prequels can.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Once again Star Wars toys spoil something about the movie.

They're baby porgs!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Huh, so they lay their eggs within the human body.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
"In a hole in the ground there lived a porg. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a porg-hole, and that means comfort" – J.J.R. Abrams, The Starwar

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MSJ posted:

Once again Star Wars toys spoil something about the movie.

They're baby porgs!

This is some David lynch poo poo

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

That's how I view them. Neither of them particularly do anything for me as entertaining films. The prequels feel like there's passion behind them, even if they misstep and botch things. The sequels feel bland and safe but I doubt there'll be anything in them that make for interesting readings like the prequels can.

Not sure I buy the idea that people working on the first SW movie in a decade - something people thought would never happen - wouldn't be passionate as gently caress about it. I think you're misconstruing the things in the prequels that you view as the result of "passion" when they're more likely coming from Lucas' auteur style. For better or for worse.

Fake edit: Not to say there wasn't passion in the art department, because of course there was. That's true for just about every big movie.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

It's also kind of obnoxious when people hide criticisms behind "look I'm just recognizing that the quality is objectively low" etc., but hey I don't mind.

oh look he just decided to act like I didn't write a really lengthy post on how atrocious the writing was

What a loving child.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

It's explicitly saying that this power is just straight up in your DNA.

gently caress this would have been so much easier to just have a character say this in Empire instead of showing Luke working his rear end off to get better :rolleyes:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

TheMaestroso posted:

Fake edit: Not to say there wasn't passion in the art department, because of course there was. That's true for just about every big movie.
Yes, they were very passionate about resurrecting and re-hashing rejected Ralph McPorg OT concepts instead of coming up with new ideas.

TFA was like porgitry in regards to the OT; it rhymed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

oh look he just decided to act like I didn't write a really lengthy post on how atrocious the writing was

You wrote a post describing the basic plot of the films but with a lot of question marks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Red Tails was actually a good movie with a positive message.

I know this because the 2012 national champion Alabama football team watched it during their team meeting and proceeded to beat the everloving poo poo out of Notre Dame on live television the next day.

I never saw it, but I found it funny when George Lucas gave an interview about it, and said it was time their story was finally told, or something like that. And I thought, "Um, there's already a movie about them, called "The Tuskegee Airmen". I mean, I know it's only a TV movie, but you might want to ask your Red Tails star Cuba Gooding, Jr. about it...because he was in that one, too.

Not saying we can't have another. But that comment made me think he hadn't actually heard of the first movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I will admit it was lengthy.

Having to train to make your super powers work better is not some kind of fundamental quality of good writing vs. bad writing. And anyway, Luke has to train to learn how to move stuff with his mind, yes... but in order to actually succeed he basically rejects everything he's taught and relies on Darth Vader being strong enough to save him. When he makes a seemingly suicidal jump away from Vader in ESB, is he not saved by a random act of Force luck?

Martman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 10, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Cheesus posted:

Yes, they were very passionate about resurrecting and re-hashing rejected Ralph McPorg OT concepts instead of coming up with new ideas.

TFA was like porgitry in regards to the OT; it rhymed.

I was talking about the prequels, duder

Anyway, in actual news that's not stupid "my movie is better" talk, Rian Johnson is getting his own SW trilogy set somewhere else in the universe with new characters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I support more Star Wars movies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/928756341908430848

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Rian Johnson to helm new trilogy

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rian-johnson-is-developing-a-new-trilogy-of-star-wars-m-1820310672

Pro: Rion johnson
Con: Yet more of these Star Wars

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

sounds cool

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I fully expect by next year Disney will just announce “films” are coming and people will go insane with hype.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I like this guy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My favorite Risk tweet is the one where he said that he respected and feared RLM.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Rian Johnson seems like a cool guy

https://soundcloud.com/thedirectorscut/episode-96-blade-runner-2049-with-denis-villeneuve-and-rian-johnson

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The pessimist in me says he got this trilogy deal by shutting the gently caress up and doing exactly what Disney told him to do.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jose Oquendo posted:

The pessimist in me says he got this trilogy deal by shutting the gently caress up and doing exactly what Disney told him to do.

And because JJ wasn't interested.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I never saw it, but I found it funny when George Lucas gave an interview about it, and said it was time their story was finally told, or something like that. And I thought, "Um, there's already a movie about them, called "The Tuskegee Airmen". I mean, I know it's only a TV movie, but you might want to ask your Red Tails star Cuba Gooding, Jr. about it...because he was in that one, too.

Not saying we can't have another. But that comment made me think he hadn't actually heard of the first movie.

lol actually I was wrong. They watched "Zero Dark Thirty" the night before Notre Dame. They watched "Red Tails" before the 2012 rematch championship against LSU that everyone hated so much. I'd honestly love to hear the story about what made Nick Saban decide to phone up George Lucas and ask for permission to have a private screening of the film. Wasn't released for another half a month.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/10/red-tails-movie-inspires-alabama-lsu-bcs-trailer_n_1195756.html

quote:

In the aftermath of Alabama’s dominating 21-0 triumph over LSU in the BCS National Championship Game, reporters were hoping to hear Nick Saban expound on his team’s historic performance on defense, the aggressive offensive passing scheme or even his own place in college football history.

Instead, the Alabama head coach offered a movie recommendation when addressing the media from the postgame press room.

"We went to see the move Red Tails last night, which I would recommend to anybody. But, you know, those guys’ motto was “to the last plane, the bullet, the last man, the minute we fight and we always stay with the mission.” And I think that kind of described the spirit of that group extremely well, but it also describes the spirit of you know the group of players that we have on our team this year."

it's a good thing he went with a movie about the Tuskegee airmen instead of the Tuskegee experiments.

Humor aside, I brought up the story because when I finally watched Red Tails a year or two ago I thought it was great and clearly motivated these guys to kick the poo poo out of LSU. That's what a good movie should do -- make you identify with the characters and provide an escape and/or reflect on life issues, big or little. Lucas clearly has a gift for storytelling. Those things just didn't happen with the prequels, and I wish he'd continue with projects outside of Star Wars or Indy instead of locking himself away in a cinema Howard Hughes-style and making experimental films for "no one else to see."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

RIan is cool

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/562725239982161921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The right answer is "laser sword"

• Locked thread