Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

They need sixteen to tie, seventeen to win outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

15 with an additional 4 still up in the air.

drat. Thought we had at least 16 in the bag. How are the others looking?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mr Interweb posted:

drat. Thought we had at least 16 in the bag. How are the others looking?

We did have 16 but one flipped back.

No idea on the others.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There should be a final 4 bracket of Trump administration hires and secretaries to determine who is the worst.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

imagine they were foreign vessels

now imagine if they were the only foreign vessels granted exceptions to deliver goods to PR

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

evilweasel posted:

No, it's being passed by reconciliation. It can increase deficits no more than $1.5 trillion in the next 10 years, and not at all after that. The current House bill fails both. The Senate will get their bill to satisfy both before holding a vote.

Hmmm, I wonder where the Senate is going to find the extra reduction in expenditures / increased tax revenues. Might it be the middle class yet again, perchance??????

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Teddybear posted:

They need sixteen to tie, seventeen to win outright.

they really need to shorten the MLB season

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Overwined posted:

Hmmm, I wonder where the Senate is going to find the extra reduction in expenditures / increased tax revenues. Might it be the middle class yet again, perchance??????

repealing obamacare

no, seriously

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/antifa_ne/status/928392989298384897

Was about to post this in USPol, but they're a little bit preoccupied right now. So I'll just share this in the Trump thread, where nazis get covered, like this story featuring a nazi, where...

:stare:

Thank god they rounded up this loony, Muslim nazis with dirty bombs are about the last thing we need right now.

USpol scares me, I think some of them are on angel dust.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

LePage is looking rough

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There should be a final 4 bracket of Trump administration hires and secretaries to determine who is the worst.

Other than Trump himself, Jefferson Sessions is clearly the worst.

Reasons why:

1. He is in a position of power. Steve Bannon might have worse ideology, but no one cares about "Director of Strategy". Attorney General is one of the four most powerful positions in the administration. It has a wide ability to hurt people. Of the Big Four cabinet secretaries, Sessions is the only one who is really a Trump loyalist.

2. He should know better. Whatever condition Carter Page has, it is probably a pretty good excuse. Sessions was a US attorney, and was a senator, but he still thinks it is a cool idea to lie under oath repeatedly.

3. He just irritates me the most. Clearly.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sessions also knows what he's doing, unlike basically all the others.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

evilweasel posted:

repealing obamacare

no, seriously

Same difference.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

Sessions also knows what he's doing, unlike basically all the others.

I still say this is the truest to life rendition of Trump's presidency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esgLYzVAY6I

edit: I mean that video description :kiss:

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 9, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Our victory is like a torrent that will wash away the scum of the Republican party and the Trump administration! In the voting booths, our voice is heard like a divine wind! With great force, prudence, and protest, the 2018, 2019, and 2020 elections will mirror the onslaught of 2017 and ensure the defeat of evil and ultimate victory of good!

Also, the tax reform bill needs to be revised to go to reconciliation because its current form adds 1.7 trillion to the deficit thus allowing it to be filibustered!

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Petr posted:

We didn't get a majority, :matters:

are the results in? i tought it was 50 50 and 4 recounts?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Petr posted:

We didn't get a majority, :matters:

This is joke, yes?

dbukalski posted:

Not yet. Still back and forth. Essentially, we are looking at either R+1 majority (super weak), a tie, or a majority. poo poo is so razor thing that this will go back and forth for a while.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Our victory is like a torrent that will wash away the scum of the Republican party and the Trump administration! In the voting booths, our voice is heard like a divine wind! With great force, prudence, and protest, the 2018, 2019, and 2020 elections will mirror the onslaught of 2017 and ensure the defeat of evil and ultimate victory of good!

Also, the tax reform bill needs to be revised to go to reconciliation because its current form adds 1.7 trillion to the deficit thus allowing it to be filibustered!

Warlord Covok is alright.

:supaburn:

Covok
May 27, 2013

But a second ago, I was told by a Trump supporter that "the democratic party is exploding because of Brazile." Hah! I say "hah!" The fools who believe lies and rubbish as putrid and unfounded as this message will stand in awe of our unity and power at our moment of ultimate victory! Our enemies are divided, putrid, lazy, and foolish: they underestimate our capacity for glory! Let us show them the fool might of a perfectly working machine! Protest, phonebook, go door-to-door, make personal appeals, volunteer and run if you are able. I, for one, am doing many of these things and so should you! Victory lies on such a path!

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

Or continue doing what we can to dismantle gerrymandering as a concept and the left can just win because it's a fair fight and the right is significantly outnumbered.

i would like to see at least our side stick to decorum and let our actions draw good people to our side

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

So what’s the deficit cutoff where they can pass the tax bill via reconciliation?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

So what’s the deficit cutoff where they can pass the tax bill via reconciliation?

1.5 trillion.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

dbukalski posted:

some clerk screwed up a count so a narrow (and i mean narrow, like 30 vote) dem win flipped back to the gop.

total is 49 D, 47 R with 4 undecided.

a gain of 15 is still insane.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TARDISman posted:

1.5 trillion.

Is this true? The bill can add 1.5 Trillion to the deficit?

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Inferior Third Season posted:

Democrats going overboard with their own gerrymandering is probably the quickest route to dismantling it. It's like how when black people started walking around with guns in California, it got Reagan and the Republicans to implement gun control themselves.

Gerrymandering needs to be taken down on a national, federal level. Individual states that Democrats sporadically win temporarily can't do it themselves.

as soon as democrats are in position to gerrymander. the mere threat of doing it will convince the necessary gop votes to helpass the laws

were winning the hearts and minds of the public. if we stoop to the gop level people will be more likely to see both sides as equally bad and we lose the moral high ground

the moral path will see us to victory

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Covok posted:

Is this true? The bill can add 1.5 Trillion to the deficit?

Not immediately, but over the next decade.

That's still 150 billion per year though.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

evilweasel posted:

repealing obamacare

no, seriously

There just aren't enough people with "economic anxiety" to save them from doing something this stupid. Repealing the mandate for 300b to help pay for tax cuts on the wealthy is worse than their repeal and replace efforts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

BlueberryCanary posted:

Not immediately, but over the next decade.

That's still 150 billion per year though.

I see. So, at 1.7 Trillion, they need to make up .2 trillion?

This is worrying as removing the individual mandate removes 3 billion.

Bah! Worrying? What is the opposite of that? Putting in anti-obamcare language will only ensure final victory for righteousness!

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Dejawesp posted:

Finland is an eyesore for white supremacists because it's super white, super racist, has tons of guns but also high crime, violence and so on.

In fact Finish people are probably the single most openly racist people in the world. To the point where Finish people living in Sweden openly disapprove of their children race-mixing with Swedes.

thats interesting i had no idea finland was like that.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Removing the individual mandate should be enough to get it under the reconciliation limit but if kneecapping the ACA were that easy to pass they'd have done it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

Also pepper spray does nothing to spiders, snakes, and what other small creepy crawly stuff Australians have to deal with.
One thing i’ve found thanks to centipedes and crippling fear is that any spray will kill anything if you use enough.

Edit: to stay on topic, this also works with incels creeping around, negging you from a dark corner.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 9, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Covok posted:

I see. So, at 1.7 Trillion, they need to make up .2 trillion?

This is worrying as removing the individual mandate removes 3 billion.

Bah! Worrying? What is the opposite of that? Putting in anti-obamcare language will only ensure final victory for righteousness!

Well, you see before they were trying to repeal Obamacare and use the money to pay for tax cuts for the rich. That failed miserably, so now they're trying to give tax cuts to the rich and pay for them by repealing Obamacare. It's a perfect plan.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Feinne posted:

Removing the individual mandate should be enough to get it under the reconciliation limit but if kneecapping the ACA were that easy to pass they'd have done it.

Yea, not seeing the Senate (or House GOP members in districts that might in the last 24 hours have realized they're not invincible) suddenly being all "nurrmind, guess we'll repeal the individual mandate" in an election year.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

dbukalski posted:

as soon as democrats are in position to gerrymander. the mere threat of doing it will convince the necessary gop votes to helpass the laws

were winning the hearts and minds of the public. if we stoop to the gop level people will be more likely to see both sides as equally bad and we lose the moral high ground

the moral path will see us to victory

If the hypothetical here is waiting for the republican party to start pressing for anti-gerrymandering legislation, why not wait for that - and then agree that Oh poo poo that's a good idea, now that republicans argued their point, it makes sense!? I know the game of politics is labyrinthine and intentionally socially complicated and the republFOXNEWSicans would (my guess anyway) accuse democrats of being dishonest, betraying their values, hating america and lusting for full communism.

BUT. How could you possibly spin a pro-gerrymandering angle? I'm not saying it can't be done, my heart is just not enough of a shriveled, dishonest, corridor though corruption to imagine one.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Feinne posted:

0.2 trillion = 200 billion. If the individual mandate really is 3 billion then that’s nowhere near enough to get under the limit.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

in_cahoots posted:

0.2 trillion = 200 billion. If the individual mandate really is 3 billion then that’s nowhere near enough to get under the limit.

I saw a number like 300 billion earlier though for it. I don't know if that's accurate of course.

Covok
May 27, 2013

in_cahoots posted:

Sorry, I meant 300 billion. Typo, my bad.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KickerOfMice posted:

BUT. How could you possibly spin a pro-gerrymandering angle? I'm not saying it can't be done, my heart is just not enough of a shriveled, dishonest, corridor though corruption to imagine one.

I thought about this once, and the only remotely decent angle I could get from it is that you have a population of angry-as-hell white supremacists in a district that has a smaller Hispanic/African/[insert population here] that the angry-as-hell white supremacists hate. They start passing really lovely laws that are angled to torture the minority population (e.g. voter ID, tall/costly proof of citizenship for basic services, etc.) and make them miserable. So, you pack the Nazis into district 1488 and then draw the rest of the populations to have more fair districts. That's literally the only time I can see someone using it for the benefit of a population.

There was the weird example of Illinois's 4th district having this horseshoe shape, and the people who made it claimed that it better served the community as the district was made to be more homogenous for the population's ethnicity (I think it was Hispanic maybe?) and they could vote for a candidate that represented their views in the state's congress. Whether or not that is honest is beyond me, I just regurgitate poo poo on the internet. :shrug:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Only the best

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/928445810211205120?s=17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Gerrymandering is super duper unpopular especially among Democrats for obvious reasons, so regardless of the morality of using it to banish Republicans for ten years to the outer darkness where there will be a great weeping and gnashing of teeth, doing that would be seen as a betrayal when they had the power to end it once and for all (and still win because the only reason Republicans have anything like the power they do is the dark electoral necromancy they did back in 2011).

In a lot of places the threat of a forbidding gerrymander will likely be very effective at getting whatever GOP votes might be needed to facilitate a redistricting commission or whatever, though, so by all means, push for the power to do it and then play that game of chicken.

• Locked thread