Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Prop Wash posted:

Wulfband has a new single available on Spotify, "Full Frontal Sabotage." They've also got a picture on their Facebook that says 2017-11, so new Wulfband album coming, probably, or maybe a tour? Whatever, I'm in.

Speaking of spotify, Daniel Graves has a pretty good public playlist on there called "industrial pop" https://open.spotify.com/user/1120018927/playlist/30BUPgw52SWNm2ZWZZc86A Check it out, whatever, I know some people aren't big on his industrial pop schtick, but if it ain't your thing then post the best Spotify playlist u got

That single gives me hope. It's like old school EBM met KMFDM when they were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Biomute posted:

That single gives me hope. It's like old school EBM met KMFDM when they were good.

The preview for their upcoming album is just as awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE620-a8dQY

So much love for Wulfband. They're just relentlessly making deliberately aggressive and almost incoherently over the top EBM and doing it so well.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Sorry for the double post but the new ESA track is great, and the video is a great contrast to the frequent industrial guy-in-goggles-and-vaguely-military-gear-standing-moodily-on-a-building-site type thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1ZzBXkShg

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Sorry for the double post but the new ESA track is great, and the video is a great contrast to the frequent industrial guy-in-goggles-and-vaguely-military-gear-standing-moodily-on-a-building-site type thing.
Hahaha

I was going to add that one of the most unintentionally hilarious modifications was this, vaguely industrial guys singing about boats while on a boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtUi8d0DF1Q

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Hahaha

I was going to add that one of the most unintentionally hilarious modifications was this, vaguely industrial guys singing about boats while on a boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtUi8d0DF1Q

I love this video because everything about it is so weirdly terrible. It's like you can see what it's trying to do, but somehow it just fails completely.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh speaking of industrial pop there's a new :drac: BLUTENGEL EP :drac: out.

Both of the German language songs on it are ... pretty good! Okay they're nothing groundbreaking but it's Blutengel we're talking about. I watched some of their performance at the most recent M'era Luna and the sheer ridiculousness of them continues to win me over; via some kind of supernatural vampire embrace. I'd still get in the pit for Chris Pohl and none of you can stop me.

One song is called "Komm zu mir" and, well, the way he says it just makes me wanna komm.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 30, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
By the way, if you're reading this and haven't read Prester Jane's posts about the otherkin doomsday cult she was in that centered around VNV Nation you gotta read it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

By the way, if you're reading this and haven't read Prester Jane's posts about the otherkin doomsday cult she was in that centered around VNV Nation you gotta read it.

Link?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Found it!

Prester Jane posted:

What really put me over the edge was finding out that a bunch of the alt-right enjoys VNV Nation. For those who don't know VNV Nation is a spectacularly mediocre electropop band with a lead singer who cannot carry a tune in a bucket (and has a terrible singing voice even if he could). However the lyrics of VNV Nation songs appeal directly to the sensibilities of Narrativists and as a result Ronin (the lead singer for VNV Nation) was widely considered to be an angelkin who had come to Earth to write music meant to help us cope with the cruelty of saving humanity from itself. Back in the early aughts VNV Nation concerts in the midwest were practically Otherkin conventions- as in I was literally not the only Otherkin who went to a VNV Nation concert specifically to meet (and potentially recruit to my quasi-cult) other people who believed themselves to be Otherkin. More than once I wound up at a Denny's after a VNV Nation concert with a group of disparate social outcasts who were all trying to find recruits for our personal Inner narrative's/cults.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsjU4tYYVbY

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That's bad rear end

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Oh god the weird cliques around the alt scene are so embarrassing and crazy sometimes.

I'm kind of glad that when I was deep in the scene it was after the peak of Anne Rice vampire wannabes but pre-Tumblr insanity so was mostly just White Wolf RPG nerds, self-harming folk and livejournal drama.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Oh god the weird cliques around the alt scene are so embarrassing and crazy sometimes.

I'm kind of glad that when I was deep in the scene it was after the peak of Anne Rice vampire wannabes but pre-Tumblr insanity so was mostly just White Wolf RPG nerds, self-harming folk and livejournal drama.

Gutterpunks and greasepaint goths for me- I was in high school right before WW started taking off, so I missed that entirely.

Although now that you mention it, I bet I still have a lj somewhere. I was on that way early

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd say I was one of those White Wolf nerds but the past tense would be a lie. I'm from small towns and IDK if I'd have ever discovered goth/industrial music if not for the people I met at LARPs.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
For me it was watching The Crow with my AD&D friends.

:rip: Brandon Lee

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I was at a show tonight with Chelsea Wolfe and Youth Code. I brought a friend who doesn't know anything about goth or electro-industrial music, and he instantly got into Youth Code as soon as they played. Also as a bonus because it's Halloween, I ran into a Jesus, a Crow and an Old Gregg.

The show was rad as hell, and everyone needs to see Youth Code and/or Chelsea Wolfe live.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I will!

Also, getting into stuff like Ad:Key, Orange Sector and Sturm Cafe. Any particular albums I should start with?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

I will!

Also, getting into stuff like Ad:Key, Orange Sector and Sturm Cafe. Any particular albums I should start with?

Sturm Cafe's Europa album is absolutely great. I don't mean this in a bad way, but Ad:Key and Orange Sector's albums tend to be quite samey (because they have a sound and stick to it) so you can't go wrong with the most recent ones.

You might also like Spark! (their recent album Maskiner is really good)

If you want to find more bands similar to the ones you mentioned, take a look at past lineups for the Familientreffen festival. Most of the bands who play that festival have a similar sound to the three you mentioned.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Rein got her first wide (well, for EBM) exposure working with Spark!, so if you like her stuff they're a great place to go next.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rein is great stuff, I just heard her for the first time because of that playlist I posted above. I didn't know she'd done stuff with Spark!. Actually, I knew almost nothing about Spark! or anything at all going on in Sweden, I just learn about acts when they travel down to Germany and melt my face off like Wulfband and Spetsnaz. Not unless you guys post about them, anyway, so thanks for throwing out some other names!

Speaking of Spark!, looks like they got signed up for E-Tropolis next year. Anyone else planning to go? It's an easy sell for me because it's relatively cheap and close, but I can understand not wanting to travel further. For what it's worth I went last year and the infrastructure is pretty decent, good crowd size and lots of energy in the venue.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm still unhealthily obsessed with Mix This Song into A23's "Maps of Reality" by the Gothsicles, especially the A23 remix.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's a great remix even before Tom starts singing. That just pushes it over the top.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh speaking of industrial pop there's a new :drac: BLUTENGEL EP :drac: out.

Both of the German language songs on it are ... pretty good! Okay they're nothing groundbreaking but it's Blutengel we're talking about. I watched some of their performance at the most recent M'era Luna and the sheer ridiculousness of them continues to win me over; via some kind of supernatural vampire embrace. I'd still get in the pit for Chris Pohl and none of you can stop me.

One song is called "Komm zu mir" and, well, the way he says it just makes me wanna komm.

I didn't and still don't like Black itself too much, but there's some good stuff on the new EP. Komm zu mir and There's No Place are completely generic but the three other new tracks (Seele, Blood Rain and Der letzte Kampf) are all great and better than 90 % of the tracks on Leitbild - I think mostly because they're all slightly unusual tracks for Blutengel. Apart from the opener, the title track and, I dunno, Waste my Time, Leitbild is entirely forgettable. If Pohl is looking into moving into a kind of an old-school Blutengel sound that I feel this EP suggests, I'd be a lot more interested in that than another Omen / Save Us or Leitbild, neither of which I found particularly great.

Also, that glitching on Blood Rain is endearingly amateurish. I love it

edit: Also, speaking of which - I saw Gothsicles just over a week ago! A local goth club brought Graupner in to Helsinki for a show. I can't say Gothsicles is an act I listen to a lot or am a massive fan of or anything (it gets a bit grating after an album or so, I'd say), but god drat was Brian an energetic dude. He put on an awesome show just on his own with his power glove (with a local DJ doing the laptop duties).

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 4, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sturm Cafe's Europa album is absolutely great. I don't mean this in a bad way, but Ad:Key and Orange Sector's albums tend to be quite samey (because they have a sound and stick to it) so you can't go wrong with the most recent ones.

You might also like Spark! (their recent album Maskiner is really good)

If you want to find more bands similar to the ones you mentioned, take a look at past lineups for the Familientreffen festival. Most of the bands who play that festival have a similar sound to the three you mentioned.

Thanks! Did some digging, and I really love Europa, their other stuff not so much.

I heard the same thing about those bands, hah - must be the straight dope. I hadn't heard about Familietreffen, though - thanks a bunch!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So the new Xenturion Prime is out. It's suitably over-the-top trance and good. Makes me want to play one of those spaceflight games like Elite: Dangerous.

extradite THIS! posted:

I didn't and still don't like Black itself too much, but there's some good stuff on the new EP. Komm zu mir and There's No Place are completely generic but the three other new tracks (Seele, Blood Rain and Der letzte Kampf) are all great and better than 90 % of the tracks on Leitbild - I think mostly because they're all slightly unusual tracks for Blutengel. Apart from the opener, the title track and, I dunno, Waste my Time, Leitbild is entirely forgettable. If Pohl is looking into moving into a kind of an old-school Blutengel sound that I feel this EP suggests, I'd be a lot more interested in that than another Omen / Save Us or Leitbild, neither of which I found particularly great.

Also, that glitching on Blood Rain is endearingly amateurish. I love it
I agree about Omen / Save Us but I'm fine with Leitbild since it has actual hooks on it. Conventional pop hooks of course, but at least there are hooks! Omen / Save Us has no hooks. Blutengel is all about the hooks, and I'm a cheap date.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anyone else into rhythmic noise might want to be aware that it has just been announced that next year's Maschinenfest will be the last. :smith:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Boy Harsher in London has sold out already. Arse.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

divabot posted:

Boy Harsher in London has sold out already. Arse.

Dude, that show is going to be sick. Definitely try to hustle for a ticket outside the venue.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DasNeonLicht posted:

Dude, that show is going to be sick. Definitely try to hustle for a ticket outside the venue.

curse you!

so yeah, their reputation has outdone their venue. I think it sold out a few weeks before I even heard about it. The Facebook event page is a sea of people desperately begging for tickets. Gah.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Anyone else into rhythmic noise might want to be aware that it has just been announced that next year's Maschinenfest will be the last. :smith:

Frrrrrrk now I have to go

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

New Faderhead album "Night Physics" is up on Spotify. Distinct synthwave flavor, same mumbly-vocals taste. Leads with "Know Your Darkness," but the title track "Night Physics" is pretty great. I'm also a fan of "Demons Go" and "This is Your World." It probably won't win you over if you aren't already a fan, but I'm looking forward to seeing some of the tracks live to see what that adds.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVquWcLfYaI

DAF has a new song out that I somehow missed. It owns.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Revco advance Front Line Assembly in Denver tomorrow! I'm pretty loving excited!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hedenius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVquWcLfYaI

DAF has a new song out that I somehow missed. It owns.

that's really good! It's not in the video, but is that the sound of Robert playing ... actual drums?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Speaking of drums, apparently Mark Jackson has left VNV Nation. I'm interested to see what he does next (if anything) since as I understand it, he'd had little to no musical input in years and basically just been there to play live.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Speaking of drums, apparently Mark Jackson has left VNV Nation. I'm interested to see what he does next (if anything) since as I understand it, he'd had little to no musical input in years and basically just been there to play live.

Yeah, Mark wasn't there when i saw them a few months ago. I missed the big lug.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

mennoknight posted:

Yeah, Mark wasn't there when i saw them a few months ago. I missed the big lug.

Years back I saw VNV do an amazing live cover of Nitzer Ebb's Getting Closer, with Mark and the bloke from SITD both singing instead of Ronan and it was amazing. They seemed to only do it on that one tour from what I can tell.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I'm being exposed to some nu-aggro mix of Joy division right now please send help

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
They forgot mics for FLA. Had to go back and grab one from back stage

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I've never really listened to much Coil stuff after Love's Secret Domain so I was pretty surprised today to discover they covered Nancy Sinatra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSoS2FIDzfE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

divabot posted:

that's really good! It's not in the video, but is that the sound of Robert playing ... actual drums?

Anything before Alles ist Gut featured live drumming pretty often! Die Kleinen und Die Boesen is still a killer album and you should listen to it.