Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

Lol yep my friend's in-laws pay his rent because their daughter married a fragile little man who literally told me that effort feels like "being zapped by an electric shock," and in science experiments the rat learns to stay away so

This conversation just happened two hours ago and my blood pressure is through the roof, I'm speechless and am giving up on offering any type of advice or helping hand

His wife just got her first job in her field making a slim 30k, at least she can help her parents in supporting the embarrassment of a human that my once competent friend has morphed into

:lol:

If he's got a medical condition he better get that poo poo sorted out. Everything is too much :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KingSlime posted:

Lol yep my friend's in-laws pay his rent because their daughter married a fragile little man who literally told me that effort feels like "being zapped by an electric shock," and in science experiments the rat learns to stay away so

This conversation just happened two hours ago and my blood pressure is through the roof, I'm speechless and am giving up on offering any type of advice or helping hand

His wife just got her first job in her field making a slim 30k, at least she can help her parents in supporting the embarrassment of a human that my once competent friend has morphed into

I'm always amazed at how someone this worthless can find someone to marry them and support them.

For the greedy step-daughter one, she better at least come back into the fold because grandfather is probably still good for gifts for the grandkids. Incredibly lovely to just assume that your dad is going to pay for your kids' education, but if dad paid for everything growing up, that entitlement was definitely trained into her.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I don't see them a lot but a couple of my friends are getting married and they're looking at renting a castle two states away that costs $10,000 just for the venue (and that's the price before any food costs!) and they have also been talking about the house they are going to buy. Neither of them make close to what my wife and I make together so I have no loving clue how they plan to manage those things (hint: it's probably crippling debt). If I have a chance to find out more details later I'll report.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Devian666 posted:

:lol:

If he's got a medical condition he better get that poo poo sorted out. Everything is too much :effort:

Yeah to be honest I'm wondering if he's struggling with an unseen mental issue because holy poo poo he sounds so sincere when he spouts insanse justifications to explain Why My Life Is So Hard

He asked me about outsourcing filling out job applications the other day because the mental toll is too much...

He was always kinda dumb in his rationale but absolutely not like this until the last 12 months

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe they're planning to drop the portcullis once they get into the castle and just hold off the collectors for 7 years. I think that's how that works, right?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Maybe they're planning to drop the portcullis once they get into the castle and just hold off the collectors for 7 years. I think that's how that works, right?
Yeah but how would they afford their own personal militia? If you're going to hold a castle, you've got to have your own personal militia.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

Yeah to be honest I'm wondering if he's struggling with an unseen mental issue because holy poo poo he sounds so sincere when he spouts insanse justifications to explain Why My Life Is So Hard

He asked me about outsourcing filling out job applications the other day because the mental toll is too much...

He sounds like some of my friends with clinical depression. Best to manage that with some help.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hoodwinker posted:

Yeah but how would they afford their own personal militia? If you're going to hold a castle, you've got to have your own personal militia.
I would have to check in with Ms. Manners, but I think technically that's what groomsmen are for?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I would have to check in with Ms. Manners, but I think technically that's what groomsmen are for?
I won't be standing in this one so I'm safe from the tireless burdens of chivalry at least.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So my buddy and I generally have a laugh every three months at the bwm idiots who bought Snapchat stock, which doesn't allow you to vote and doesn't pay dividends. And the company is a me-too product that won't be able to stand up to the facebook juggernaut but people went nuts over the IPO and it's generally been sinking ever since and it's all good fun. Anyways, this morning he tells me this:

:v: wanna hear something really funny?
:v: 3 weeks ago
:v: I was drunk
:v: and put in a short for snapchat
:v: for 50k
:v: at like 2 in the morning
:v: which would be dope
:geno: Jackpoooot
:v: except I was drunk
:v: and I shorted SNA instead
:geno: Hahahahahha
:v: and they had a share buyback that same week and it went up 15%

Between SNA going up and SNAP going down I think the swing would have been a $20k difference for him, the maniac.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Probably doesn't matter much if you're the kind of guy who can afford a drunk 2 AM short for 50k

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Probably doesn't matter much if you're the kind of guy who can afford a drunk 2 AM short for 50k

Yeah...

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
uh, this is a thread sometimes about people who get in beyond their means and continue to go further beyond.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

People who plan to rely on grandparents to pay for their children's education - without a clear offering along these lines - are scum and are the reason wealth often doesn't last 2 generations. The Millionaire Next Door calls this "Financial Life Support."

Wait, grandparents paying for college is enough of a thing to be in a book?

I’ve never heard of people doing that. I guess I assumed if the grandparents are wealthy enough to pay for everyone’s college then their kids would have had enough life advantages to afford their own offsprings’ education.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m the first person in my family’s history to be getting a four year degree.

Someone else paying for college is more foreign than space aliens to me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just like how many of us who are born into poverty were able to elevate ourselves past those limitations, plenty of people choose to manage their priveleged circumstances very poorly

They usually then go on to blame foreigners or something for their shortcomings but yeah not everyone uses what they have effectively

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 9, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve never heard of people doing that. I guess I assumed if the grandparents are wealthy enough to pay for everyone’s college then their kids would have had enough life advantages to afford their own offsprings’ education.

Yeah, you've got to be real careful to avoid BWM kids if you're quite well off. Can't let them think you'll support them past basic subsistence living or they'll be BWM assholes, basically.

Personally, I like the idea of a trust that will match whatever they have in IRAs and 401k when they're 30, and donate the rest to charity.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
On the flip side, if you're going to let them into the family's finances eventually(even if that 'eventually' is just inheritance), it's a good idea to make sure they have some idea of wtf is going on, why it's being done that way, and why they're a goddamned idiot if they blow through that in a year or five.

Otherwise you end up with a situation like that OP whose wife didn't realize her wedding was being funded by her own accounts & that withdrawing from them incurred a tax hit.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post478189404

quote:

Forums revenue is now currently 8% of what it used to be, right now it takes roughly half a month *just* to pay for hosting costs, and I've had to take out loans to cover bills, and I've had to take a $10,000 penalty to withdraw $10,000 from my IRA to cover costs

I am sure there was a better way to finance than paying a 100% fee to take $10,000 from your IRA. perhaps Moneyball could offer to help...

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Foma posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post478189404

I am sure there was a better way to finance than paying a 100% fee to take $10,000 from your IRA. perhaps Moneyball could offer to help...
Perfection.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Foma posted:

Does Lowtax have a day job? I guess I kind of assumed that most people running old-style forums like this had a day job, since Places To Post Stuff On The Internet have never been a high-revenue business. At best you might just barely cover hosting cost with ads(or in this case, avatars/reregs/smilies).

Then again, places like reddit and twitter have proved that new-style Places To Post Stuff On The Internet aren't profitable either.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
whoops wrong thread

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 9, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Well here I went and found regular BWM since I thought you were telling us to not post about Lowtax.

Have it anyway:
I make 70K a year, why am I broke?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7avtpq/i_make_70k_a_year_why_am_i_broke/ posted:

I am married. My wife does not work. I have a teenage boy. We are making payments on a small house, have two cars both of which are paid off. I make 70K and I can't seem to save any money month to month.

I get paid twice a month. This is what my paycheck looks like These are all approximate values.

Gross Pay $2700

Fed Tax -403

State Tax -110

Medical -160

Dental -44

Vision -13

401K -250

HSA - 154

Parking -45

Net $1550

Monthly bills:

House: 762

Internet: 50

Water/waste: 112

Electricity: 130

Gas: 40

Napster: 10

Life Insurance: 47

Braces: 190

Car Insurance: 94

Mobile phones: 134

Netflix: 10

Home phone: 18.

So I guess that means we spend $1350 a month on food, necessities, extra medical bills the HSA doesn't cover, dog and cat food/medical, necessities, clothes, gas for cars, ect ect ect.

I just went through the past couple months and our biggest expense is food. Between eating out and groceries it's like $800 a month.
OP seems to be confused about what year this is.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had some cousins that leaned on my grandparents to pay for college because their mom (my aunt) burnt through her savings on her lovely 2nd husband. So, it happens, and at least anecdotally it does a number on the relationship with the rest of the family.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Foma posted:

I would pay :10bux: a year to post here since the entertainment and research value I get is worth at least that.

I'm not going to just buy an avatar every year though because I want to make sure I'm not just pissing money away while the forums continue to run at a loss.jpg.

If Lowtax moves to a yearly subscription model for all users, I'll sign up today.

Also this post is a prime example of why taxes are needed instead of depending on charity to provide the needful.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Haifisch posted:

Well here I went and found regular BWM since I thought you were telling us to not post about Lowtax.

Have it anyway:

Wait Napster still exists?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Weatherman posted:

I would pay :10bux: a year to post here since the entertainment and research value I get is worth at least that.

I'm not going to just buy an avatar every year though because I want to make sure I'm not just pissing money away while the forums continue to run at a loss.jpg.

If Lowtax moves to a yearly subscription model for all users, I'll sign up today.

Also this post is a prime example of why taxes are needed instead of depending on charity to provide the needful.
Hell, I would pay $10 a year to make sure some people couldn't post here.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Stop volunteering ways for other people to spend money, fuckos

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Haifisch posted:

Have it anyway:

Your comment made me laugh more than it had any right to, so thanks for that.

Also love that OP definitively answered his own question with the first 13 words plus his salary.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Brian Fellows posted:

Your comment made me laugh more than it had any right to, so thanks for that.

Also love that OP definitively answered his own question with the first 13 words plus his salary.

He's still making 10k more than the US national median household income, though.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 9, 2017

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Stop volunteering ways for other people to spend money, fuckos

TENBUX CURES NUKES CURE NORKS

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

FrozenVent posted:

He's still making 10k more than the US national median household income, though.

And he's got two cars paid, no noted debt aside from his mortgage, good money going to his 401k, and assuming his $300/month health insurance and corresponding $300/month into an HSA are covering his wife and kid, then he's not in an awful situation there either.

Of course, one major car repair or a health issue would gently caress him over, but that's just the price of freedom in the USA.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I like this new trend of people owning homes, cars, health insurance, paying into retirement accounts, and generally living happy all while supporting spouses, kids, and pets, only to turn around and whine that they aren't miraculously saving $5000 a month somehow.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Don't forget the Napster.

I'll be honest, I mostly posted that out of confusion that a)Napster still exists, and b)Napster is something you can pay for.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Does Lowtax have a day job?

He makes youtube videos and has a patreon. I think that's it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Don't forget the Napster.

I'll be honest, I mostly posted that out of confusion that a)Napster still exists, and b)Napster is something you can pay for.

They're a music streaming service now. Like Spotify?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Inept posted:

He makes youtube videos and has a patreon. I think that's it.

He is v bad at Patreon. I listen to a podcast / YouTube channel for whom a video with 1k views is good... that pulls in 4K / month. Blows me away SA can’t get more than that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FrozenVent posted:

They're a music streaming service now. Like Spotify?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the brand got bought and they're just another $10/mo streaming service like Spotify, Play Music, etc. So, replace Napster with Spotify and it's not a thing.

I assume the home phone is a bundle call with internet and it's otherwise effectively free.

Jordan7hm posted:

He is v bad at Patreon. I listen to a podcast / YouTube channel for whom a video with 1k views is good... that pulls in 4K / month. Blows me away SA can’t get more than that.

Seriously, I'd donate to a These Dead Gay Forums patreon since I assume Radium Code makes it impossible to buy a recurring anything, and all of the SA merch is garbage I wouldn't want to buy. Instead we have The Lowtax Show patreon where I'm supporting some awful podcast.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 9, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, for a while I was paying $10/month for a phone line I never plugged anything into.

Because it got me a $20 discount on cable. Somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

"Having to tell my story is kind of painful," she said. "But I believe that if I share my story, perhaps I can prevent other people from being victims."

Time to sit your parents down and explain the birds and the bitcoins.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/bitcoin-scam-york-1.4393318