Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
From the globe. gently caress em I'm not linking

quote:

New housing starts tumbled in the Toronto region in October as builders slowed the pace of new project construction amid market uncertainty.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. said 2,438 new housing units were launched in the Greater Toronto Area in October, a 42-per-cent drop from 4,204 units in the same month last year. Starts were also down 21 per cent over September on a seasonally adjusted basis.

It's happening

At least in Toronto lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
How do I convince my wife that now is a really bad time to buy a house in the GTA? She wants to buy before January, we have our second child due in February.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just read her CI’s exhaustive treatise on the matter.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
But if you really convince her and then real estate rockets for another 4 years, you could end up married to a CI.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jet sanchEz posted:

How do I convince my wife that now is a really bad time to buy a house in the GTA? She wants to buy before January, we have our second child due in February.

She's nesting and is worried about a safe environment for the new child. Buy a new crib, babyproof your life. Distract her with shiny new stuff until the new kid arrives and then you'll be too busy to worry about a new house.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just buy her a house and teach her what losing money is like the hard way

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Definitely take investing advice from the 4 and a half year old thread that has been predicting an imminent collapse the whole time.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

You're right, hotlinking isn't sustainable long term

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Jordan7hm posted:

Definitely take investing advice from the 4 and a half year old thread that has been predicting an imminent collapse the whole time.

Bubbles are largely based on incorrect assumptions about future long term returns and emotion. Because they are not based upon reasonable parameters and are fundamentally irrational, their end can't be predicted by rational models.

I like this article:
http://www.holypotato.net/?p=1261

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Go ahead. Buy a house right now. I dare you

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Jordan7hm posted:

lol

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Buy as much house as you can afford right now. Max that poo poo out. Be sure to buy in a location based on current parameters and completely ignore any potential changes that may come from future development in your neighborhood or changes in overall society.

Your extremely expensive car dependant neighborhood at the edge of a metropolitan area with ever expanding subdivisions shunting more and more traffic on the roads leading in and out of the region will surely never drop in price.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Where do I sign up for EvilJoven's predictions on future development and changes in overall society? Do they have timelines, to make them actually useful?

namaste faggots posted:

#YOLO I GUESS LOL

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If housing does crash the government will probably just bail out the home owners anyways. Or maybe they will go the American route and give a bunch of money to banks because ??????

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DariusLikewise posted:

If housing does crash the government will probably just bail out the home owners anyways.

More likely they'll bail out the people with mortgages.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

More likely they'll bail out the people with mortgages.

My mortgage getting paid by you lot would be hilarious. I mean I probably won't mostly I made sure to buy well within our means so we would be able to weather rising interest rates or one of us experiencing a loss or severe reduction in income but if we still end up getting to ride the bailout train anyway that'd be awesome.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

My mortgage getting paid by you lot would be hilarious. I mean I probably won't mostly I made sure to buy well within our means so we would be able to weather rising interest rates or one of us experiencing a loss or severe reduction in income but if we still end up getting to ride the bailout train anyway that'd be awesome.

Yeah, I'd be a little jealous. It would pass quickly, though.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

THC posted:

vancouver's permit board denied a condo for the first time in living memory and richass developer shills are making GBS threads their diaps about it

no policy reason, except that thousands of people demanded it be spiked

The policy reason was that the design wasn’t good enough considering the importance of th me site in context with the surrounding Chinatown neighbourhood. (The Chinese war memorial is right in front of it)

This surely would have gone through were it not for the hundreds of locals against the project.

This isn’t the first time a project has been derailed for the same reasons though. I recall there was some office building proposal for waterfront that was pulled because a bunch of architects and planners wrote letters to the city about how the building didn’t respect the heritage waterfront railway station etc.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
In fairness that tower was stupid and cantilevered over the station by like 35% of its volume. Good visual metaphor for late stage capitalism tho.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

https://twitter.com/drex/status/928846949775695873

Fight over airbnb is getting hilarious and typically Vancouver.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

You tipped your hand by calling buying a home “investing”. It’s not.

PS I’m an American, I️ve seen this insanity before, it doesn’t end well!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

paternity suitor posted:

You tipped your hand by calling buying a home “investing”. It’s not.

PS I’m an American, I️ve seen this insanity before, it doesn’t end well!

But this time it's different

You don't know what you're talking about

We burned down the white house

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
CI have you been reading the RFD RE forums where people are complaining about banks not honouring pre-approvals because of debt ratios, cause :discourse:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao no. Hook a brother up

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh my god I need to read that thread.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/bank-declined-my-mortgage-2139014/

also good
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/friends-asked-make-shill-bid-home-2139732/

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 10, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Pre-approvals mean poo poo and the bank even prints that disclaimer on them, what a bumbling bunch of morons

I always enjoy the same 5 token idiots that comment on any upsetting customer service story with "maybe you should sue" like all you need to do is go down to a courthouse and ask the clerk "one lawsuit please"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is really nice.
God drat it's full of good advice and people pointing out the bank saying no to out of control dangerous debt is a feature not a bug, but then other people tell him one weird trick he can do to get his debt anyways and hey talk to this guy he'll totally hook you up.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 10, 2017

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

This is really nice.
God drat it's full of good advice and people pointing out the bank saying no to out of control dangerous debt is a feature not a bug, but then other people tell him one weird trick he can do to get his debt anyways and hey talk to this guy he'll totally hook you up.

apparently if you find the RFD user "kevin" and send him a pm he'll hook you up with a sweet mortgage, no questions asked.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

THC posted:

vancouver's permit board denied a condo for the first time in living memory and richass developer shills are making GBS threads their diaps about it

I kinda like "diaps" as a short form for diapers but the spelling really makes me want to read it as "di-aps". I suppose you could spell it "dipes" but then you have to rely on context for someone to know what it's short for.

Will have to give it some more thought.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
When we got our morgage, TD bank in downtown Vancouver "ran out" of bank draft paper at noon (more in safe but it's on timer) so we had to get it from another bank. When they called us in to sign the forms they didn't actually have the forms in hand to sign so we spent half an hour waiting while they tried to get another branch to fax them over.

At RBC branches in downtown cores they would never have any USD or Euros on hand and would tell me to call a couple days ahead. Also when I went in to inquire about a small loan they never asked me about assets, I assume they just assumed all my money was in my chequing account or something.

So you know, one neat trick to get a mortgage in Canada might actually work because they are so loving incompetent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cowofwar posted:

At RBC branches in downtown cores they would never have any USD or Euros on hand and would tell me to call a couple days ahead. Also when I went in to inquire about a small loan they never asked me about assets, I assume they just assumed all my money was in my chequing account or something.

TD does something similar. Is it incompetence or some kind of policy of security or something? I know that whenever I used go to my local TD branch to get USD or Euro they had little to none and would refer me to a location in the Financial District until I just started going directly there.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lobok posted:

TD does something similar. Is it incompetence or some kind of policy of security or something? I know that whenever I used go to my local TD branch to get USD or Euro they had little to none and would refer me to a location in the Financial District until I just started going directly there.
They're cheap as gently caress and don't want to keep any cash in the safes because it comes under a different accounting line which has an effect on their profits. All banks are FYGM parasites.

The funny thing is when I use my Tangerine mastercard at restaurants and whatever people comment that they've never seen one before. A population of 35 million people just shoveling cash in fees to banks for the privilege of being bent over.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Banks usually only have foreign currency if someone else has brought it in to exchange for CAD. I'm surprised they even bother offering the service considering how little they seem to care about it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Any bank will send foreign currency to your branch if you call and ask beforehand.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/11/10/b-c-now-more-dependent-on-real-estate-than-alberta-is-on-oil_a_23273530/

quote:

B.C. Now More Dependent On Real Estate Than Alberta Is On Oil
It's a sign of the economic times.

If Alberta is Canada's oil country, then British Columbia is ... real estate country?

New government data released this week shows that British Columbia has become more economically dependent on real estate transactions than Alberta is on oil.

According to Statistics Canada, mining, oil and gas accounted for 17 per cent of Alberta's economy in 2016, while real estate accounted for 18.4 per cent of British Columbia's economy.

The economic milestone was flagged by University of Calgary economist Trevor Tombe on Twitter.

Tombe says this is about prices. While real estate has been growing as a share of B.C.'s economy for years, oil is shrinking as a share of Alberta's economy, thanks to oil prices that today are about half what they were at the start of 2014.

"That sector is generating a lot less income," he told HuffPost Canada in an interview.

That falling share of oil income helps explain why Alberta's economy shrank by 3.7 per cent last year, while the national economy as a whole grew by 1.4 per cent and B.C.'s economy led the way with 3.5 per cent growth, according to StatsCan data.

So should Alberta be diversifying its economy? Tombe says it's not quite so simple.

Contrary to popular belief, "Alberta is among the most diversified provinces already when it comes to employment," he said. Where there's not enough diversification, he says, is in income. That's especially problematic for Alberta's government, as it relies heavily on oil revenue.

That concentration "exposes you to risk," he says. The government should seek out other sources of revenue, he suggests.

So what about British Columbia and its heated housing market?

The latest data from the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver suggests the city is bouncing back from the slump it experienced last year, after the foreign buyers' tax was introduced. Home sales were up 35.3 per cent in October, compared to the same month last year.

And reports indicate foreign buyers are returning to the market as well, suggesting that the foreign buyers' tax may not have had the cooling effect the provincial government had hoped for.

So has the housing market gone too far in B.C.? Tombe doesn't want to speculate on that.

"It's impossible to know whether you're in a bubble until after it pops," he said.

alternate interpretation: "I'm too much of a loving pussy to say lol this is loving retarded because I care about my precious academic reputation so much"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Let's see what happens to schroedinger's housing bubble when everyone's buying power is cut by 30%

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Looks like an increase of 16% to 18% over a decade? That doesn't imply a bubble but they might not be considering all of the associated real estate industries?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://credbc.ca/role-energy-sector-bcs-economy/

from 2014

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.fin.gov.bc.ca/tbs/Financial%20and%20Economic%20Review,%202016.pdf