Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

I just regurgitate poo poo on the internet. :shrug:

Welcome to the club, friend! (Do not eat poo poo, no wonder the stomach problems!)

I mean you bring up something I left out - defining/twisting the definition of gerrymandering. I don't want to devolve this myself into :matters: but good loving god it's hard to present a hypothetical argument when one side sidesteps reality when it does not agree with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This visual omg

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/928451192115613696

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

That first reply. :discourse:

I do appreciate this slow burn of the results getting under the conservatives' skins rather than the usual instant flash outrage.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Quorum posted:

Gerrymandering is super duper unpopular especially among Democrats for obvious reasons, so regardless of the morality of using it to banish Republicans for ten years to the outer darkness where there will be a great weeping and gnashing of teeth, doing that would be seen as a betrayal when they had the power to end it once and for all (and still win because the only reason Republicans have anything like the power they do is the dark electoral necromancy they did back in 2011).

In a lot of places the threat of a forbidding gerrymander will likely be very effective at getting whatever GOP votes might be needed to facilitate a redistricting commission or whatever, though, so by all means, push for the power to do it and then play that game of chicken.

IIRC Republicans kicked off the redistricting reform attempts in California while Schwarzenegger was governor, perhaps hoping it would end up benefitting them in this blue state. A nonpartisan redistricting proposition finally passed in 2010.

Instead it might have hosed them over even worse while still solving the gerrymandering problem.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 9, 2017

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

letthereberock posted:

Oh my god these people.

“I voted for Trump because he’s going to bring jobs back, build a wall, and repeal Obamacare!”

“Have any jobs come back?”
“No”
“Is there a wall yet?”
“No”
“Has Obamacare been repealed?”
“No
“So why do you still support Trump?”
“Because he does what he says he’s gonna do!”

(Like, that is not an exaggeration, that exchange happens almost verbatim in the article)

Yeah it's depressing. The really sad/bad part is people bitching about Obamacare when they have company provided health insurance. I could not get that through my neighbors head even though he is in a union and Obamacare was raising his premiums even though I pointed out that premiums have gone up every year since I entered the workforce in 2002 and that he's not enrolled in Obamacare.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

Gerrymandering is super duper unpopular especially among Democrats for obvious reasons, so regardless of the morality of using it to banish Republicans for ten years to the outer darkness where there will be a great weeping and gnashing of teeth, doing that would be seen as a betrayal when they had the power to end it once and for all (and still win because the only reason Republicans have anything like the power they do is the dark electoral necromancy they did back in 2011).

In a lot of places the threat of a forbidding gerrymander will likely be very effective at getting whatever GOP votes might be needed to facilitate a redistricting commission or whatever, though, so by all means, push for the power to do it and then play that game of chicken.

That makes quite a bit of sense.

e- But what about the places already tilted by republican redistricting? Is there a publicly palatable solution?

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 9, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Kerning Chameleon posted:

That first reply. :discourse:

I do appreciate this slow burn of the results getting under the conservatives' skins rather than the usual instant flash outrage.

Barbeque is always tastier than flash-fry.

A WhiteBoy flavor of BBQ that owns bones:

Steve'n'Seagulls - An amazingly talented blugegrass band that love to cover metal songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc

Accordian solo. Bon would be proud.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 9, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao this motherfucker is so goddamn dumb. Mueller probably already dumped his phones and emails, with how stupid he is he probably wasn't taking any precautions.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

lmao this motherfucker is so goddamn dumb. Mueller probably already dumped his phones and emails, with how stupid he is he probably wasn't taking any precautions.

The Grand Moff Tarkin quote from earlier is apt as hell. They were winning but never could consider that their logistics would ever be exposed to scrutiny.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
In reply to the many people who justifiably say "I hate it that epic shitbags David Frum and Rick Wilson get to go on TV now because they'll talk poo poo about Trump", let me share an example of their utility.

David Frum just said this on MSNBC, in response to Lawrence O'Donnell getting all giddy about the victory in Virginia and how republicans must be making GBS threads bricks: (paraphrase) "I know these people. There are people in the whitehouse who woke up today and are thinking a whole lot about voter suppression. Limbaugh's monologue this morning was about all the felons who got their voting rights back and voted for democrats. Expect to see them start working hard to redefine who's an American."

There's value in getting actual, live, former-insider-republicans to call this poo poo out as it's happening. Even David Frum thinks Trump's a fascist.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

In reply to the many people who justifiably say "I hate it that epic shitbags David Frum and Rick Wilson get to go on TV now because they'll talk poo poo about Trump", let me share an example of their utility.

David Frum just said this on MSNBC, in response to Lawrence O'Donnell getting all giddy about the victory in Virginia and how republicans must be making GBS threads bricks: (paraphrase) "I know these people. There are people in the whitehouse who woke up today and are thinking a whole lot about voter suppression. Limbaugh's monologue this morning was about all the felons who got their voting rights back and voted for democrats. Expect to see them start working hard to redefine who's an American."

There's value in getting actual, live, former-insider-republicans to call this poo poo out as it's happening. Even David Frum thinks Trump's a fascist.

for some reason I always get Frum mixed up with James Fallows, the guy who wrote the outstanding 'Trump Time Capsule' series. I honestly don't know how Fallows managed to not go crazy.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

Tell us about your big red custom title, please.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Yeah, I usually read stuff by Frum and Friedersdorf at The Atlantic. Not because they're particularly insightful or clever, but because they offer a different perspective and aren't completely loony.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KickerOfMice posted:

It is in reference to the "Hillary owned slaves" argument, and JC arguing against it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They know that Trump and his brand are going to flame-out hard at some point, and they are maneuvering to pick up the pieces. Kasich is doing the same thing.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

It is in reference to the "Hillary owned slaves" argument, and JC arguing against it.

Ah.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KickerOfMice posted:

USPol is a complete madhouse with the lunatics running the asylum

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

It's getting to the point, alt least for me, of 'what mask is the republican party going to wear today?'

I expect that in an abusive relationship where someone asks an enabler to harm themselves for the benefit of.... oh yeah.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The weirdest thing to come out of the Virginia election results is definitely Bizzaro Covok.

Flynn and his son should be loving terrified that Mueller's going to come for them at any moment because they committed numerous crimes including literal goddamn treason. I hope that when Mueller comes for them they beg to be allowed to turn on others in exchange for immunity, only to be laughed at and tossed in a supermax and we never hear about them again except in the obituaries.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rand Paul will likely be a no on everything and if the GOP insists on inserting language to defund PP, which they obviously will, that seriously jeopardizes Murkowski and Collins.

The House bill includes language that grants personhood to a fetus at the moment of conception, iirc. That is one of the ways the white wing tries to ban abortion indirectly because if a fetus is a legal person with rights then abortion involves murdering them...etc.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There should be a final 4 bracket of Trump administration hires and secretaries to determine who is the worst.

Does it only include current members? If so:

Sessions, DeVos, Pruitt, Perry in no particular order except Sessions who is #1.

If we can include nominees then drop Perry for Gorsuch who claims #1 from Sessions by virtue of the fact that he's going to be tainting our judicial process for the next 40-50 years.

SLOSifl posted:

One thing i’ve found thanks to centipedes and crippling fear is that any spray will kill anything if you use enough.

Edit: to stay on topic, this also works with incels creeping around, negging you from a dark corner.

Your edit was unnecessary, you already said it works on centipedes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Evil Fluffy posted:

The weirdest thing to come out of the Virginia election results is definitely Bizzaro Covok.

Nah, he's been this way since the Skinny Repeal got killed.
(I mean this with no disrespect, Covok)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It is, at least, better than the "big bowl of chili" gambit.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
I can see how there might be some utility in Frum's and Wilson's criticisms but at the end of the day their disagreements are mostly about Trump's style and rhetoric.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell, USpol is what would happen if you put Hanntiy and Chris Matthews in a room with a pile of cocaine, red and blue straws, and brass knuckles.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

It is, at least, better than the "big bowl of chili" gambit.

The bowl of chili thing was what i immediately thought of when I saw this. "It was father's day, and my kids had made me a big bowl of chili...."

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Covok posted:

I see. So, at 1.7 Trillion, they need to make up .2 trillion?

This is worrying as removing the individual mandate removes 3 billion.

Bah! Worrying? What is the opposite of that? Putting in anti-obamcare language will only ensure final victory for righteousness!

I like this belief that a democratic govt is going to be anything but the same accelerationism but at a slower pace.

Nocartax
Feb 12, 2016

Oh, this is bad, this is really bad! You work, and you slave, and you steal just enough for a sweet lick of that shiny brass ring.

Don't I get a lick?

Doesn't Gil get a lick?!
:siren: Breaking: Carter Page found dumb-responsive in Congressional overtestimony :siren:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Flynn and his son should be loving terrified that Mueller's going to come for them at any moment because they committed numerous crimes including literal goddamn treason. I hope that when Mueller comes for them they beg to be allowed to turn on others in exchange for immunity, only to be laughed at and tossed in a supermax and we never hear about them again except in the obituaries.

While I'd love for the Flynns to be locked away for the next hundred years, their information is probably going to be extremely valuable w/r/t potentially bringing down Trump, and we definitely don't want to be turning that down.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

JeffersonClay posted:

Republicans have essentially abandoned what shreds of neoliberalism that defined their policy objectives. Frum is a good base character for the right leaning neoliberals to deify. Their/his agenda is to relegitimise conservative thought.

Frum wasn't complaining when voter suppression was happening during the bush years.

Frum is playing the long game. Dont be a dumb cumboy pls.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

so you're forced to carry crappy swivel blades that'll close while you use them and are hard to open one handed.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissTools/SwissTool-Spirit-XC/p/3.0227.L locks the tools once exnteded - it's nice and I feel safer using it.

http://www.multitool.org/tools/miscellaneous/kershaw-a100-review locks the knife at least and having a pocket-sized vice grip is great. Too bad you can only get them used now

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/katherinemiller/status/928477241155211264

Look what you did, you guys, you made Sean Spicer sad

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

dbukalski posted:

thats interesting i had no idea finland was like that.

Me neither, and I've lived in Finland all my life.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DaveWoo posted:

Your Boy Fancy made Sean Spicer sad and got Zoro banned

a true american hero

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

:dunkedon:

Enjoy your "retirement," Sean. At least the minifridge will always love you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DaveWoo posted:

Spicer doesn't even deserve pity at this point.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DaveWoo posted:

Hmmm now that you mention it.... what ARE your party's policies, Spicer?

What DOES repeal & replace mean?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I hope Covoking eventually comes to be synonymous with the brutal dismantling of crony capitalism.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

:dunkedon:

Enjoy your "retirement," Sean. At least the minifridge will always love you.

If you want a friend in Washington, get a minifridge.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pakled posted:

Nah, he's been this way since the Skinny Repeal got killed.
(I mean this with no disrespect, Covok)

Covok has become the light of democracy in our darkness.

The beacon of hope in this gilded fog of ammonia and sorrow.

When all others gave in to lol nothing matters he persisted.

And at last we finally secured our first victory.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Julio Cruz posted:

While I'd love for the Flynns to be locked away for the next hundred years, their information is probably going to be extremely valuable w/r/t potentially bringing down Trump, and we definitely don't want to be turning that down.

Oh definitely. If there's the slightest chance Flynn can provide info that sinks Trump there's no way Mueller passes it up. Considering how much Trump likes Flynn I'm sure he was privy to plenty of info too.

I'd still like to see them go away forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mustached Demon posted:

Covok has become the light of democracy in our darkness.

The beacon of hope in this gilded fog of ammonia and sorrow.

When all others gave in to lol nothing matters he persisted.

And at last we finally secured our first victory.

I mean, I gave into "lol nothing matters" from day 1 of the Trump Presidency, gave in to insane dystopian fantasies for months, was such a petulant little poo poo I was the 10th most ignored user and got a term named after me, and only changed after the health care bill finally died and I finally felt like victory was possible.

• Locked thread