Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

alf_pogs posted:

charge on in and get that Hyrule shield and an arsenal of good weapons. become unkillable

said Hyrule shield, i imagine it still breaks eventually right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

said Hyrule shield, i imagine it still breaks eventually right?

Yes but it takes a lot to destroy it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess I'll have a poke around if I can, then. I'm not sure I trust my gaming skills to take me through a nest of guardians and difficult 'blins, though :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What was it, 87 guardian laser blasts to break it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Calaveron posted:

What was it, 87 guardian laser blasts to break it

Wow, I remember practicing parries, and I think even the royal shields would only take a couple of lasers if I didn't get it right.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Wow, I remember practicing parries, and I think even the royal shields would only take a couple of lasers if I didn't get it right.

Hylian Shield had 800 hp.

Next highest is like 80 or something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It can be replaced.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I got the hylian shield first thing my second play through just to have an unbreakable surfing shield and I'm at the last beastie with all shrines done and it's still doing fine.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zore posted:

Hylian Shield had 800 hp.

Next highest is like 80 or something.

Nope, next highest is 29 (royal shields). It really is an absurdly sturdy shield.

Edit: Wait, no, I'm wrong. There's an Amiibo shield that has 90 hp, and in the base game Urbosa's shield with 60 hp.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 6, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Master Mode is fun for me because it incentivizes strategy. On normal mode, you can often just charge screaming into a fully staffed enemy camp and murder everything with no trouble. On Master Mode, that approach is much more likely to get you killed, especially once you unlock Gold enemies, which have a +40 attack bonus and faster attack animations for all weapons, as well as resistance to normal means of stunning or disabling them. You have to think about fights and plan things out so you kill enemies before they can regenerate. I like that challenge.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ancient Shield is the ultimate surfboard, because it takes very little damage from all surfaces, and it's a hoverboard.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Bongo Bill posted:

Ancient Shield is the ultimate surfboard, because it takes very little damage from all surfaces, and it's a hoverboard.

:stare: What?!

Guess I'll have to check that out after work.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Latest patch for the game is live. Contains support for the champion amiibo released tomorrow and the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 crossover quest.

The XC 2 sidequest rewards you with the three pieces of the Salvager set. They are 5 Def each and each come with Swim Speed up.. They are also not upgradable or dyeable sadly.

The sidequest itself is slightly more involved than the DLC stuff was, but not very much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there anything I quote enquote need from Kakariko or Hateno before I gently caress off on an early game sojourn into Hyrule? Only thing I can think of is the camera.

I’m not cut out for exploration games :saddowns:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

Is there anything I quote enquote need from Kakariko or Hateno before I gently caress off on an early game sojourn into Hyrule? Only thing I can think of is the camera.

Camera is about it. I'd also grab the stealth suit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You need nothing.

You might want to stop by the tech lab to upgrade your slate if you haven't. Also, get good at parrying lasers. Makes life much easier.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Ciaphas posted:

Get the shiekah slate upgrades and optionally the memory breadcrumbs. The former will enable tracking which is useful and the latter is just generally more fun to do while you're exploring than mop up after you're 90% done with everything. I filled in all the towers and like 50% of the shrines before I really even touched those places on my first runthrough and I really wished I did it earlier.

After religiously avoiding doing any story progression until the "end", I'm of the opinion that you may as well do main story stuff as it pops up, not avoid it. The game flows better when you're not actively avoiding Doing The Thing, killing Ganon perhaps excluded.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crawfish posted:

Latest patch for the game is live. Contains support for the champion amiibo released tomorrow and the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 crossover quest.

The XC 2 sidequest rewards you with the three pieces of the Salvager set. They are 5 Def each and each come with Swim Speed up.. They are also not upgradable or dyeable sadly.

The sidequest itself is slightly more involved than the DLC stuff was, but not very much.

The quest seems bugged. I'm 100% certain I should find one of the chests at Skull Lake but it's just not triggering. Gear seems worthless anyway so meh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I only wanna head for hyrule for supplies and to try to find that shield.

Does it matter whether I bomb or sword/hammer mining spots?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Bombing spreads the drops further but using a weapon eats some durability. :shrug:

Also yeah, there's a memory in the castle so you should activate that breadcrumb with Impa before you go. It'll also lead you to Zelda and the King's diaries.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Ciaphas posted:

i bombed 99% of ores before i realized hitting works.

would still bomb as to save weapon durability, unless you already upgraded the master sword

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Lodin posted:

The quest seems bugged. I'm 100% certain I should find one of the chests at Skull Lake but it's just not triggering. Gear seems worthless anyway so meh.
Right place, Wrong eye.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa Xenoblade armor? Didn't know about this, and it seems useless...but hey, something to find!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Keep a Drillshaft or two around for mining. Good durability and less chance of throwing gems off a cliff than a hammer.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

chiasaur11 posted:

You need nothing.

You might want to stop by the tech lab to upgrade your slate if you haven't. Also, get good at parrying lasers. Makes life much easier.

Reminds me of how I got to the final boss in this game and was trying to figure out how to drop his forcefield. Friend next to me was commenting.

Them: You just need to parry his laser back.

Me: Yeah, I never really got the hang of how to do that.

Them: ...how the hell did you get past the 8000 Guardians up until this point then?

Me: Carefully.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Reminds me of how I got to the final boss in this game and was trying to figure out how to drop his forcefield. Friend next to me was commenting.

Them: You just need to parry his laser back.

Me: Yeah, I never really got the hang of how to do that.

Them: ...how the hell did you get past the 8000 Guardians up until this point then?

Me: Carefully.

I was the same way. The guardians are so easy to kill, there was never any need to attempt the laser parry. Needless to say it took about 15 seconds to learn how to do it for the final boss.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I never had trouble parrying the Guardian lasers, outside of Master Mode, where the fuckers change their timing.

I guess a lot of folks do? While I was streaming, one of my friends told me about the laser parrying thing, and the timing for it, and then... seemed disappointed when I got it right away? I think he was actually hoping I'd gently caress it up and burn up my shield so he could laugh at me. :mad: I did gently caress up an awful lot so it wasn't a vain hope.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really feel like hammers have better durability for mining than swords do and axes have better durability for chopping trees than they do for fighting etc

Is this just some sort of confirmation bias or is this accurate?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I was never much good at parrying, I forgot it existed for half the game, I'm aces at dodging though and i activate flurry rush nearly every time. So my shields never break cause I never use them. The arrow trick was my go-to for Guardians. That and cutting their limbs.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Bloop posted:

I really feel like hammers have better durability for mining than swords do and axes have better durability for chopping trees than they do for fighting etc

Is this just some sort of confirmation bias or is this accurate?

Accurate. Hammers and the goron drill spear and rock swords break rocks in one hit dealing very little durability damage and axes will chop trees super quickly

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I couldn't get parrying or dodging to really work that well so I have never tried to use them.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hey dudes, I am thinking about picking this game up for the Wii U, but I want to learn more before I do. I’ve read through a bunch of the earlier part of this thread but am stopping before I get to anything post release.

I don’t want to be spoiled though. I don’t trust game review websites opinions very much, so I thought I’d ask this crew.

Is this a good Zelda?

Can it be played in small increments? I have one of those family things now so I can’t binge on video games anymore.

I have played through OoT and MM multiple times, WW once. Got partway through TP on wii but lost interest.

Can a 12 year old who normally just plays Skylanders type games get through this?

Any non-spoilery reviews/input would be much appreciated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

Is this a good Zelda?

This depends entirely on your definition of what makes a good Zelda. I think it's an incredibly good game, but if what you're looking for is something in the Ocarina of Time vein, you're not going to find it here. The dungeons are small puzzle boxes, for example, and there's no progression of steadily finding new items and opening up new places to explore with them.

That said, what I like about it is how open-ended the exploration and puzzle solutions are. Most of the game's puzzles are more physics-based than anything, so you can get really creative with how you solve them, and it's a lot of fun to play the game's physics rules off of each other to get past obstacles.

DoctaFun posted:

Can it be played in small increments? I have one of those family things now so I can’t binge on video games anymore.

Yes, definitely. There are over a hundred mini-dungeons called shrines scattered all over the place and it's pretty easy to go hunt down a few, have some fun doing them and fighting monsters along the way, and then stop playing for the night feeling like you accomplished something.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DoctaFun posted:

Hey dudes, I am thinking about picking this game up for the Wii U, but I want to learn more before I do. I’ve read through a bunch of the earlier part of this thread but am stopping before I get to anything post release.

I don’t want to be spoiled though. I don’t trust game review websites opinions very much, so I thought I’d ask this crew.

Is this a good Zelda?

I have played through OoT and MM multiple times, WW once. Got partway through TP on wii but lost interest.

Can a 12 year old who normally just plays Skylanders type games get through this?

Any non-spoilery reviews/input would be much appreciated.

What's a good Zelda for you? I've always most loved the exploration aspects of Zelda, it's why a game like MM (which is small but incredibly detailed) or WW (which is almost all about exploration and has some easy as poo poo dungeons) are my two favorites because they reward in-depth exploration. BotW is the king of Zelda exploration.

If you prefer the puzzle aspect of Zelda i.e. tough dungeons, a feature in OoT and MM and most 2D Zeldas, then... BotW is pretty bad about this. The main "dungeons" are very lackluster and while there are a lot of smaller areas that are meant to re-create the experience, they're merely passable, fulfilling the role but not really wowing the player in their design.

Combat is as fun as you make. It can be grindingly repetitive/easy or it can be tough, it's worth noting very few fights are mandatory and most can be escaped from. I think the combat is done as well as could be expected, considering the parameters the game set on itself.

The game has an instant save feature which allows you to stop where-ever/whenever. It can definitely be played in small increments, though I know I often would play on longer than I expected, if only to see what was beyond the crest of the next hill. Actual quests in game can be done fairly quickly if you're doing them at time, though you can also stop mid-quest and not worry about it, I know there're quests I got early on that I never bothered to complete till the end.

I don't know how Skylanders goes, but this isn't a tough game. You may run into a few hiccups in the beginning, but once you figure out the combat there's no reason why you should ever feel like your in a particularly tight spot. The game lets you overpower yourself as much or as little as you like so, you can make it as easy or hard as you want. Keep in mind it's one save file per profile so your kid will want to make his own profile otherwise you'll either be re-starting anew each time or just be missing content done by someone else.

I'd say the only deal-breaker in the game could be if you hate the idea of weapons breaking. ALL weapons in this game will break eventually. Better weapons last longer, weaker ones break quickly. There's plenty of weapons to be found, whether through fighting enemies holding them or just lying around in chests or in the game-world so you're never really lacking for anything but I know I found that mildly annoying especially once I found gear I liked. But if you can get over that it's a fantastic game particularly if you just like exploring.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, weapon durability is a dealbreaker for some people so it's a good idea to be aware of that going in. Early game weapons are probably more fragile than they should be, in my opinion, even though I generally like the durability system.

If you're on the fence, I think it might be better to look at it like guns in one of those FPS games where you don't get to carry your whole arsenal around all the time. You use what you have ammo for and if you can't get more ammo for that gun, you switch it out for the next one you find. You're meant to treat weapons as disposable tools and not equipment, basically. Armor doesn't have durability, thankfully, so you don't ever have to worry about repairing things.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctaFun posted:

Is this a good Zelda?

Yes, with caveats, as others have explained above.
It leans more toward open world exploration than the typical Zelda formula of overworld-dungeon-overworld-dungeon, so if that's what you want from a Zelda you may be disappointed. Fortunately it does exploration very, very well.

DoctaFun posted:

Yes, it's actually very well designed around both short and long play sessions.

DoctaFun posted:

Of those games, BotW is most like WW, or rather, WW feels like an early prototype of BotW.

DoctaFun posted:

An 8 year old can beat this game. If a kid at 12 can't beat it, it's because he doesn't want to engage with it and figure out how it works. Skill level matters less than determination.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

DoctaFun posted:

Is this a good Zelda?

If puzzles, temples, and boss fights comprise a good Zelda for you, this probably going to be a disappointment. If you dig exploration, discovery, and making your own rules, there's probably not a better game out there, and certainly not a better game out there for the Wii U. I was bummed about the absence of real temples and memorable boss fights, but so completely overwhelmed by the game's expansiveness in every other area that it didn't really matter. Even if the game gave you the coolest temple in the history of Zelda, it would not be the thing that you'd remember most fondly about the game.

Your kid will be really frustrated with the combat for a few hours, particularly if he's familiar with other Zelda games.

10/10. Go buy it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you want a linear dungeon-fest? Then BOTW will suck for you

Do you want an open world zelda that prioritizes finding your own way and doing things your way with minimal handholding ? Then BOTW is GOTY.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s the best Zelda ever, hth. Go buy the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's one of those games that even this far out from its release and with the internet, people still manage to turn up something new and go "Wait I didn't know that was a thing that could happen". Pretty incredible