Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Which brings me to another frustrating thing about Hollow Knight as a metroidvania style game; more than any other nearly every other ability in the game is just a glorified key. The vast majority of them have no practical purpose in combat because they're garbage, you can't really use things like that super dash to cross rooms because you will always inevitably hit a strategically placed platform (seriously, I've tried it. The only rooms you can clear in one go are room specifically designed to be dashed through) and the end result is that you just get a dozen keys you'll use a handful of times to reach the next area, and the rest of the game just kill enemies with your sword.

Personally, Aquaria is still my favorite indie metroidvania but Axiom Verge was still good too. Shadow Complex is on steam if you haven't played it yet, by the way.

Axiom Verge does quite well in making the keys change how you move around in exploration, but they don't really mix up the combat. It also has the opposite problem - a bajillion different weapons and upgrades that are mostly all useless, or essentially hard-requirements for certain bosses (the scorpion boss is basically impossible without the wibbly projectiles, the wasp boss is basically impossible without the piercing shot that goes through its stinger). Finding a weapon, trying it exactly once, then going back to the disruptor/kilver really took the buzz out of exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I refunded that game when I saw that the protagonist was a dork.

Metroid: Fusion is a good game but it has my most hated video-game trope, which is when you are forced through a long, linear-sequence and cut off from the rest of game-world. In Fusion there's a really hard part in the middle where you have to fight a Giant Spider that's ages from a save-point, then you have to run away from your evil-twin, and finally you have to defeat an evil tree in a zone full of bugs that eat your health quickly. Only then can you explore and back-track except not long after you can easily bypass the point-of-no-return without warning. You're forced to fight to final boss and only in the post-game can you get the 100 percent unmolested. The sad part is that this game has the best story and villain in the series, but the director keeps stepping on the brakes.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Nov 7, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Axiom Verge becomes monumentally more impressive when you find out that one guy made the entire thing, including the kickin' rad music, and the grungy Metroid 1 art style looks phenomenal. I'm not a huge fan of the arsenal either, I think the movement is kind of crappy, and the boss fights are terrible, but I'm absolutely willing to cut a lot of slack because it's one amateur doing the entire process and he did a great job. It's worth playing, once, but I didn't really like it all that much.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Really let down by Shadow of War.

Maybe I just have rotten luck, but the "organic" feel of the nemesis system from the first game is was missing for me. Only four times maybe(in a 20-odd hour playtime) did it feel like I'd been ACTUALLY hunted down or accidentally stumbled across an Orc. All of the others were triggered spawns by something I'd done. It was cute at first, like when I poisoned some grog and "Grundig the Poisoner" sneaks up behind me and starts making fun of how I used too much arsenic I used or whatever.

Then "Blizlibs the Treasure Hunter" pops up when I pick up a gem.
"Arseface the Gaug Lover" pops up when I kill a Gaug.
"Jim the Proclaimer" appears saying, "Walked 5000 miles, eh, Manfilth?"
Ahhh, I see where this is going.

Same thing with the brothers system. As SOON as I kill one Orc who has a brother he spawns IMMEDIATELY and swears to cut me down too. Not once did an Orc turn up later on unsuspected saying he's been hunting me down for vengeance. Just an immediate spawn.

Hunting Orcs in the first game felt pretty natural too. It'd say they were in *this* region and you'd have to look around for them. In Shadow of War 9 times out of 10 you'd have to "activate" the hunt by finding out they were having a feast or on the hunt. Whether they spawned before inspecting the activation point is up for debate, but it all feels very sterile compared to "Mordor".

As I say at the top, maybe I have rotten luck. I know in the first game I found some incredibly weird and funny Orc and had a fantastic back and forth power struggle with some of them whereas a friend of mine didn't have anything like that and wasn't as sold on the Nemesis system because of it. (He was on the PC I was on Xbone) So MAYBE karma is paying me back, but I doubt it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Agents are GO! posted:

No it wouldn't.

Noice

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
For the kinda non-game time-waster it is, Tower Unite is neat to fiddle with when watching/listening to something. What bugs me is you can't play the Minigolf minigame alone, you have to have two players even though when you do play, you all play at the same time. Unlike bowling that you can play solo and more players slow it down.

Also I can't let this pass.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've seen dark souls completed with a drum kit, I've seen ornstein and smough beaten with voice commands, none of you have an excuse to complain about dodgy controller layouts. All those things will be lost like tears in rage. Time to git gud.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

No it wouldn't.

I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oddly enough for all the issues I keep running into with Hollow Knights patches breaking things, the magic system always seemed real handy. Possibly because I saw how much damage that first Hadoken you get does to enemies and immediTely devoted most of my Charms to enhancing it.

Its how I basically every enemy with a shield, for instance.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just every enemy by bonking on their heads 90% of the time. Granted I'm probably still in the first half of the game, but once I got the weird timing of that move down it worked well.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions

No you haven't.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

All those things will be lost like tears in rain. Time to die.

Nah, they're all on youtube.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nah, they're all on youtube.
Youtube counts as tears in rain.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FactsAreUseless posted:

Youtube counts as tears in rain.

I think that might be giving youtube a little too much credit.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Yakuza 0. After playing Majima sections going back to Kazuma sucks because Majima's fighting styles are much more fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I think that might be giving youtube a little too much credit.
Well yeah. The only thing you Youtube that has ever mattered is Tiny Fuppets.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Oldstench posted:

Yakuza 0. After playing Majima sections going back to Kazuma sucks because Majima's fighting styles are much more fun.

Amen. Majima has better options for both crowd control and single target damage, Kazuma's Rush style just felt like garbage compared to Breaker.

Content: Shadow of War answered complaints about Mordor's QTE finale by instead throwing in lovely ringwraith bosses that require you to do the same exact inputs over and over to whittle down their health. This is all in service to a loving trashfire finale which caps off a game that was ultimately 15% fun orc nemeses and 85% awful mechanics and dreadful storylines. Talion feels like poo poo to control, traversal of the labyrinthine maps sucks rear end, and the overlord boss fights were more often frustrating than challenging.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oldstench posted:

Yes, but Kazuma actually has multiple styles, whereas Majima only has the baseball bat. Now, granted, the bat is objectively better than all of Kazuma's styles combined, and other theoretical styles that Majima could have had, but that's the difference between them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

I just every enemy by bonking on their heads 90% of the time. Granted I'm probably still in the first half of the game, but once I got the weird timing of that move down it worked well.

This was my strategy and it never stops being the best. Bounce off a head, they attack and miss completely as you soar back into the sky, bounce again and repeat.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Glukeose posted:

Talion feels like poo poo to control

I don't know how on this one, like especially with the inclusion of the double jump thing to correct any accidents or just get extra distance, I don't feel like I ever had any problems with the controls this time.

That and Iunno, I liked the maps a lot better than the wide open spaces with occasional shanty town of the first.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Yardbomb posted:

I don't know how on this one, like especially with the inclusion of the double jump thing to correct any accidents or just get extra distance, I don't feel like I ever had any problems with the controls this time.

That and Iunno, I liked the maps a lot better than the wide open spaces with occasional shanty town of the first.

The double jump hosed me over a LOT before I "got" it. You use it when lower or level to where you want to be otherwise you overshoot the platform you were aiming for by MIIIILES and land rear end first in a gang of angry orcs.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

The boosted running was tedious and the double jump was finicky. In combat, targeting orcs felt loose and sloppy, and a lot of times an input to try and dodge a captain's attack or a thrown spear would lock Talion into a vault over a nearby orc, who would more often than not throw me off. Too often I'd be running and then Talion would hit a specific ledge that would bring him to a screeching halt despite previously being willing to leap off giant towers.

If the movement worked for you then fine but I hated the way the game controlled and was just generally disappointed by the game overall.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Glukeose posted:

Amen. Majima has better options for both crowd control and single target damage, Kazuma's Rush style just felt like garbage compared to Breaker.

Kiryu's Rush is WAY better for single target encounters though, due to the chained speedy dodges and his quick jabs; pretty much every boss in Kiryu's chapters can be beaten incredible easily by using Rush to pop in and out and flanking, then switching to Brawler and using counters/guard breaks when they get to their Heat stage.

TBH I thought both characters were a lot of fun to play as, Kiryu's great for owning fools in a proper fighting style and ducking and weaving in and out, and Majima's fun for just steamrolling group encounters with his bat and sick dance moves.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that I thought just didn't work out was the Contraptions in Wolf2. Partway through the story you're given the option of one of three devices, which sounds interesting at first but then you continue playing and realize that since they don't know which one you chose it never really feels like anything was designed to take advantage of them.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

muscles like this! posted:

Something that I thought just didn't work out was the Contraptions in Wolf2. Partway through the story you're given the option of one of three devices, which sounds interesting at first but then you continue playing and realize that since they don't know which one you chose it never really feels like anything was designed to take advantage of them.

The very next chapter you almost immediately run into a high platform, tiny hole, and cracked wall clustered together and I made the most disappointed sigh I could manage.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Stardust Speedyway 2 boss in Sonic Mania is annoying may rear end, and I'm reasonably sure I'm going to burn off all my collected lives before I discover how to consistently get the grey sonic robot to actually bounce towards Metal Sonic. So far my going rate is 1 every 3-5 minutes.

e: gently caress, managed to get it the next time through (difference in what I did, zero-point-zero), die on the second part, and now I have to do the whole thing over again.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Nov 9, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

The Stardust Speedyway 2 boss in Sonic Mania is annoying may rear end, and I'm reasonably sure I'm going to burn off all my collected lives before I discover how to consistently get the grey sonic robot to actually bounce towards Metal Sonic. So far my going rate is 1 every 3-5 minutes.

e: gently caress, managed to get it the next time through (difference in what I did, zero-point-zero), die on the second part, and now I have to do the whole thing over again.

Are you just sitting in a corner and spinning? That'll cause him to bounce off every time he spins at you.

That boss frustrated the poo poo out of me until (perhaps this thread!) someone told me that trick. The grey robot still bounces everywhere with no consistency, however and it's still a lovely boss fight.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Are you just sitting in a corner and spinning? That'll cause him to bounce off every time he spins at you.

I was pretty much doing everything I could; I just could not get solid, consistent bounces. Hell, half the time they'd just not come back down. You'd think a strange multi-ball situation would be easier, but nope.

Another Sonic Mania bitch, kinda influenced by another game I recently played: lives, game overs, and continues-from-the-first-stage. Coming off Super Mario Odyssey, where death was trivial and you could genuinely trial-and-error issues, it's really frustrating to return to an archaic system of you-only-get-so-many-attempts.

e: dammit, I think I just have to be done with Sonic Mania, because I'm sure as hell not going to buy a 70 dollar controller so that I can have a workable down-control that conveys Go Down to Sonic during the Hydro 2 boss, instead of "do not go down, get hit, and die because the rings don't stay around to collect".

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Nov 9, 2017

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Played Horizon: Zero Dawn recently. It's alright. Setting is good, gameplay is mediocre with occasional interesting bits.

The upgrade system loving dire, though. Nearly everything beyond the first tier is either useless or just a boring numbers increase. I don't think I ever used the ledge kills or shot any arrows from a tightrope - it feels like that last one was from an earlier version of the game.

It's not like there wasn't space for upgrades, either - I would've killed for an upgrade to make my slide more useful.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

e: dammit, I think I just have to be done with Sonic Mania, because I'm sure as hell not going to buy a 70 dollar controller so that I can have a workable down-control that conveys Go Down to Sonic during the Hydro 2 boss, instead of "do not go down, get hit, and die because the rings don't stay around to collect".

I haven't played Sonic Mania, but can't you just do this bit on a keyboard or something? It's a platformer so it can't be too hard to control.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I haven't played Sonic Mania, but can't you just do this bit on a keyboard or something? It's a platformer so it can't be too hard to control.

It's Bibs who you're talking to. Remember he posted about not wanting to lose progress when you game over by having to start at the start of the level instead of death being a slap on the wrist.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metroid: Samus Returns has an awesome take on the Surface of SR388, which in the original game was a reoccurring theme, but now you don't hear it past the first level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfiaLM0APa4

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Thing dragging Destiny 2 down, all my friends play on PC, but my PC's a hot trash fire that can't run it, and I can't bring myself to buy it for PS4 since none of my friends are on that platform :smith:

Like it's not the game's fault or anything but :smith:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Danaru posted:

Thing dragging Destiny 2 down, all my friends play on PC, but my PC's a hot trash fire that can't run it, and I can't bring myself to buy it for PS4 since none of my friends are on that platform :smith:

Like it's not the game's fault or anything but :smith:

There are some 800 goons who play it on PS4 if you need fireteam bros. Check the D2 thread in games for the discord address.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is all about making deductions and picking the right suspect in a case - but its reasoning doesn't make sense.

In the first case, Prey Tell, I'm being hunted through the woods by a man with a rifle who continually yells at me and quickly chases me down as he shoots. My choices for the suspect are a former soldier with a grudge against the rich and an (apparently) charitable aristocrat that I've proved has tuberculosis. I reasoned that there's no way a dude that's wheezing and coughing up blood was sprinting after me while yelling, so I picked the soldier as the suspect. I was wrong and the game never explains why.

Booooo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The three-key maximum input generally makes platforming on a keyboard a pain in the rear end.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is all about making deductions and picking the right suspect in a case - but its reasoning doesn't make sense.

In the first case, Prey Tell, I'm being hunted through the woods by a man with a rifle who continually yells at me and quickly chases me down as he shoots. My choices for the suspect are a former soldier with a grudge against the rich and an (apparently) charitable aristocrat that I've proved has tuberculosis. I reasoned that there's no way a dude that's wheezing and coughing up blood was sprinting after me while yelling, so I picked the soldier as the suspect. I was wrong and the game never explains why.

Booooo.

theres a big reveal when you get to the veteran's hideout that the special work program the rich guy founded was actually a people hunting club that had killed the veteran's war buddies, and the rich guy contracted tuberculosis through a combination of being in a freezing cabin and dismembering bodies. i caught it the first time through, you should observe more carefully in those games

*e for the record it IS the war vet chasing you

im pooping! has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Nov 9, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Booooo.
The explanation is the game is loving terrible.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

im pooping! posted:

theres a big reveal when you get to the veteran's hideout that the special work program the rich guy founded was actually a people hunting club that had killed the veteran's war buddies, and the rich guy contracted tuberculosis through a combination of being in a freezing cabin and dismembering bodies. i caught it the first time through, you should observe more carefully in those games

*e for the record it IS the war vet chasing you

I got all that - the game explains it to you pretty clearly no matter what choice you pick.

And anyway... if the war vet is just after justice for his fallen friends why is he pursuing me through a swamp in a homicidal rage while yelling insane psychopath stuff?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tunicate posted:

The three-key maximum input generally makes platforming on a keyboard a pain in the rear end.

#notallkeyboards

Seriously tho this isn't true of most modern keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Booooo.

I'll spoiler this since you're a few hours away from it, but...

gently caress the Mayan temple. I skipped through most of it because it was dumb bullshit that didn't even fit the premise of the game. That case was also nothing but loose ends. How the gently caress did a Brazilian dwarf move those mechanized statues, and how the gently caress wasn't the guy who built those statues with super spear throwing action responsible for the corpse at the beginning of the case getting a statue's spear through the back?!

It seems like for every interesting mystery and story beat there was a bullshit part. The best part of the game was the realization that Jon Hamm would make a good Sherlock Holmes, since they obviously modeled Holmes off of Hamm.