Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That is the most serious trailer. Are we getting the new FMP anime soon? Mecha anime has been so lovely lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Rascyc posted:

That is the most serious trailer. Are we getting the new FMP anime soon? Mecha anime has been so lovely lately.

Spring 2018

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
A compilation movie of the series and a season.. 4? I guess is coming sometime next year. Was supposed to be Fall 2017 but it was delayed.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rascyc posted:

I don't know anything recent outside IBO and Thunderbolt. Did the new Code Geass ever materialize?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't know anything recent outside IBO and Thunderbolt. Did the new Code Geass ever materialize?

The new code geass doesn't have an air date yet but it's not vaporware or anything, they're making compilation films of the original series to lead up to it. They even have some staff announced for it, including people that didn't actually work on the original series. It'll probably happen late next year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Geass is coming it just isn't out yet. Lelouch is comin' back and all.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Knights and Magic was pretty enjoyable though it doesn't really lend itself well for an SRW story.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Not sure what the new season is about, to be honest. Kallen already murdered everything in six dimensions alongside her buddy Chirico Cuvie.

Edit:

Ryoga posted:

Knights and Magic was pretty enjoyable though it doesn't really lend itself well for an SRW story.

Hmm, let's give it a look...

Google posted:

The series tells the story of a young Japanese man who dies in a car accident and ...

Hard pass.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 31, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
While playing Dark Souls 2, I noticed that there were so many bosses that were variants of 'dude in big armor suit with glowing eyes who jet boosts at you' that I started wondering if I was playing a Gundam game. Then I started thinking about how awesome a Gundam Souls game would be. I mean it's all Bamco now right? The player could be a mobile doll who gains sentience and is looking for meaning on an endless battlefield. Instead of dodge rolling and i-frames the player would have to get used to jet boosting out of danger and the game could have a more 3D element with more aerial maneuvers possible. It'd be fun making a Franken-Gundam like in the old PS2 RPG.

Someone here has an uncle that works at Bamco right? Get them on the horn!

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Pursuer is literally an Armored Core.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The game you're describing is Armored Core, which is what From Software were probably most famous for before making Dark Souls.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Where would I start if I wanted to experience the high points of Armored Core?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Getsuya posted:

Where would I start if I wanted to experience the high points of Armored Core?
I really don’t know. All the AC games I have played have had all kinds of drastic flaws. There is no comparison with the Souls games afaik.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I'd probably say 2 but the 3 gen 1 games are pretty enjoyable as well (Well, maybe not project phantasma). The gen 3 games are sorta hit-or-miss in my experience but 3 was allright and Silent Line is probably ok

I've never played the 4 games and I've heard nothing but bad about 5

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
2nd OG stream going live in a few.

Edit: Stream over, I killed two dogs out of three

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 5, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hivac posted:

I'd probably say 2 but the 3 gen 1 games are pretty enjoyable as well (Well, maybe not project phantasma). The gen 3 games are sorta hit-or-miss in my experience but 3 was allright and Silent Line is probably ok

I've never played the 4 games and I've heard nothing but bad about 5

The 4 games were pretty cool but they were a really radical departure from the original 3, it focuses a lot more on going FAST.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The entire AC1 series is a PS1 classic, and worth giving a shot.

AC2 is amazing, my personal favorite. AC2AA is literally a mission expansion pack for all the pros and cons that you could possibly associate with that concept.

3 is solid but slower, and 3SL is even better, if a 100%er's nightmare.

Nexus is slower again, but has dual analog control if you're into that sort of thing, but also had some pretty heavy nerfs to sighting to make up for it. NB is a full game of training missions and time/score attacks. LR is probably the final love letter to the classic style and exists purely to break people.

4 is an embarrassment, made up for a bit by 4A being pretty alright.

The portable games are alright for portable and V/VD didn't happen.

There you go, ten second AC series primer.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Last Raven was my first AC :shepicide:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Armored Core V and Verdict Day have a really good soundtrack though so check that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvBmhJe_L4

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The main thing that sucks about Armored Core is that for almost all of them the controls are horrid(seriously I'm amazed anyone can get any actual enjoyment out of any of the pre 4 games due to it, and even 4 & 5 have pretty mediocre controls)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Armored Core V and Verdict Day have a really good soundtrack though so check that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvBmhJe_L4

I really like this one, especially in the context of the fight it plays in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6gOSF5SR-s

For those who are curious, you're basically fighting a reference mecha from the 4 games. Which are way bigger, way faster and way stronger than what you're piloting in 5/5V. It really gives that feeling of being a mook pilot vs the protagonist machine. The song itself is a remix of a song from 4, too.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If you have to pick one of the PS1 games, go for Master of Arena. The story kinda retreads the first game but better, and the amount of arena fights is probably the best in the series (and it also has a bunch of legit Japanese tournament ACs or something like that). The first and Phantasma are... okay.

I loved AC2 and Another Age because I was a kid that knew no better at the time. But they are alright; Another Age does have a few missions that are like "you didn't equip hover legs for this 99% ocean level? Get hosed and go into debt in repair fees loser." Gameplay is also a bit slower than the PS1 games.

Can't really go wrong with AC3 and Silent Line; gameplay is faster and they introduced some poor man's funnels that never really caught on (especially when you have to trade it for your temporary overboost). Story is okay, and the music is pretty rad.

I am convinced that Nexus, Ninebreaker, and Last Raven were solely designed to instill as much suffering as possible for the series's loyal fans.

AC4 was clearly one of those early 360-gen proof of concept games. For Answer is a lot more enjoyable in comparison. Also has a story route where you can murder 90 million people for the equivalent of $50,000.

If From could have gotten the games to run above 10fps, V and VD actually might have worked.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, the entire series has great music if you're into synth/techno stuff. Kota Hoshino is a glorious madman who just does whatever he wants when composing and somehow his experiments turn out great. Having played the series from the start, watching his evolution in real time has been crazy, especially now that he's made FreQuency into its own sort of synth pop/rock band.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Getsuya posted:

While playing Dark Souls 2, I noticed that there were so many bosses that were variants of 'dude in big armor suit with glowing eyes who jet boosts at you' that I started wondering if I was playing a Gundam game. Then I started thinking about how awesome a Gundam Souls game would be. I mean it's all Bamco now right? The player could be a mobile doll who gains sentience and is looking for meaning on an endless battlefield. Instead of dodge rolling and i-frames the player would have to get used to jet boosting out of danger and the game could have a more 3D element with more aerial maneuvers possible. It'd be fun making a Franken-Gundam like in the old PS2 RPG.

Someone here has an uncle that works at Bamco right? Get them on the horn!

It is UC 0179. Somehow, a lone battle AI has become self-aware, and must find it's way in the deadly battlefields of the Universal Century.

Bonfires are computers where you can back-up yourself. Initial class is an old One Year War-era suit (Zaku, GM, etc.) and you customize yourself with parts you gain along the way. Multiple endings depending on how much empathy you show during the game. Plenty of hidden suits/parts to find, including some from alternate timelines as DLC/secrets.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bonfires are computers where you can back-up yourself. Initial class is an old One Year War-era suit (Zaku, GM, etc.) and you customize yourself with parts you gain along the way.

I mean, this part here is basically MS Saga :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I just started Moon Dwellers and I'm wondering if there's any secrets tied to having enough SR points, I've been doing as many as I can but some are pretty annoying.

Also are there any stand-out mechs I should definitely use? So far Calvina is an absolute monster, but both of Hugo and Aqua's mechs are pretty unwieldy and hard to use (which sucks because they're cool :().

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Neo_Crimson posted:

I just started Moon Dwellers and I'm wondering if there's any secrets tied to having enough SR points, I've been doing as many as I can but some are pretty annoying.

Also are there any stand-out mechs I should definitely use? So far Calvina is an absolute monster, but both of Hugo and Aqua's mechs are pretty unwieldy and hard to use (which sucks because they're cool :().

I don't think theres anything tied to SR points, no. They're only there for PP.

Don't particularly remember who's considered way ahead of the pack, but from my experience/memory:

Calvina can solo most of the game given half a chance. Touya's pretty good and tanky, Excellen is sort of a lesser Calvina and if you pair the two of them up they'll tear bloody swathes across the map. Ing is pretty great. Anyone with a combo attack is good damage output, really. I did get good mileage out of Fortegigas later on when I dumped a bunch of armour upgrades onto it. One of the late game characters is as hilariously broken as Calvina. Soulsaber's worth upgrading a bit to save some headaches later on. Hyperlion is pretty good as well because it has two pilots with combat spirits. People with MB Activate or SP Regen are usually worth bringing along and keeping current. There's a Grungust at some point with two pilot slots that makes a good home for otherwise-good characters who have bad default mechs (Katina). Alt and Flickerei makes a decent combo I think, especially with a Range Up skill.

Do try not to lean too hard on Calvina though, just because she can blow through most of the game easily doesn't mean you should let her. You will eventually need more force than she alone can bring to bear.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Touya is in the bottom half of units in terms of goodness for most of the game, but it only really matters if you're going for SR points and even the worst legit unit isn't actually super terrible.

Anyone with a Team Attack is a safe bet, just don't put them in the same twin, SRX team and anyone that can start Maximum Break are solid choices. Touya, Calvina, SoulSaber are good choices for upgrades because they have a lot of forced deploys. The Exexbein is also amazing, especially with Ing in it, but you can do any Nendo pilot that isn't already in SRX. Hugo's Garmraid should be pretty solid, but Aqua definitely wants hit and away iirc.

You want Continuous Action on pretty much every pilot so you can blow up a twin to activate it switch to the guy in the back, blow up another twin to use up his one and then go a third time.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Yeah Touya is stats wise a total powerhouse, however his terrible range and movement pretty much make him unusable without putting some serious work into forcing him into combat. He's pretty goddamn amazing once he gets his upgrade though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yep! He's slow, with no range post movement until high will, negative accuracy modifiers and an energy hog that bleeds SP to get anything done. You can solve any two of these problems but anything you do would make anyone else a god whereas it puts him at regular Grungust level. Once he gets his upgrade he's outrageous and straight up invincible to the final boss with even a modest amount of armour upgrades. Hopefully next game he'll get to have as rad a time as Calvina does in MD!

Again though, if you're not going for SR points then you can use anybody and have a nice time.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh hey a remake of Yamato just popped up on Crunchyroll. I guess putting it in V was partially in prep for this? It’s pretty good, not that I’ve seen the original to compare it.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Oh hey a remake of Yamato just popped up on Crunchyroll. I guess putting it in V was partially in prep for this? It’s pretty good, not that I’ve seen the original to compare it.

Yamato 2199 is the show that was in V. Shame it's region-locked to US and Canada, but having marathoned it before V came out I'd say it's a very good show on its own non-remake-based merits.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

EthanSteele posted:

You want Continuous Action on pretty much every pilot so you can blow up a twin to activate it switch to the guy in the back, blow up another twin to use up his one and then go a third time.

I can't remember which map it was exactly, but I remember doing this first turn with Calvina and Excellen after propping up their WIll a bit with spirits, Accel > Move > Kill > CA > Switch > Accel > Kill > Hit&Away > CA > Love-powered MAP attack from Calvina on a group of enemies in literally the perfect formation.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Yamato 2199 is the show that was in V. Shame it's region-locked to US and Canada, but having marathoned it before V came out I'd say it's a very good show on its own non-remake-based merits.

Oh. Huh. I wonder why Crunchy is releasing it an ep at a time like it’s new then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A sequel to Yamato 2199 started airing in theaters this year, Crunchy may be preparing to release that eventually.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To sync with funimation's "simuldub" I guess.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Also I'm pretty sure the original guys who picked up died before the could release the last block of episodes.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

The GIG posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the original guys who picked up died before the could release the last block of episodes.

who died?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Google says Voyager is the company who licenced it but it looks like they're still going, they just dropped the show out of nowhere in 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Good English subs for 2199 have existed since the Japanese blu ray release, there's just very few people crazy enough to throw down the $300 you'd need to own those.

• Locked thread