Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsterEnvy posted:

And he is very petty.

Also Bald.

Both true in BvS, so I guess you got everything you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

porfiria posted:

I still don't really get what's up with Lex Luthor in Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice. From what I remember:

1) He thinks Superman is a fake God because God can't be all powerful and all good (and this also how he sees his dad(?))
2) He thinks "devils come from the sky," so he also thinks Superman is a devil, but also knows about Darkseid and thinks he's a devil too (but kind of wants to ally with him?)
3) He decides to get Batman to take out Superman which will either prove he's not all powerful (because Batman kills him) or not all good (because he kills Batman (not sure how this would work if Superman's just defending himself...))
4) He also blows up Congress to make Superman look bad (?) (But by successfully blowing it up didn't he prove Superman isn't all powerful already?)
5) If Batman fails he'll just kill him with Doomsday
6) I won't even get into how much I didn't understand the Africa bullet thing but I feel that's ultimately neither here nor there

Is this correct?

It's almost like movie fans don't like movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

UmOk posted:

It's almost like movie fans don't like movies.

That's harsh, he asked questions in good faith.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's harsh, he asked questions in good faith.

It's weird; any other film by any other director, and you can have a back and forth discussion about the films here. But with Snyder's films, there seems to be some who are unwilling to harbor even the slightest criticism towards his work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
To be fair the flip side is the entire rest of the internet pretending he is a complete dumbshit who only gets the camera pointed at the actors through dumb luck.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/928452080817328128

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Davros1 posted:

It's weird; any other film by any other director, and you can have a back and forth discussion about the films here. But with Snyder's films, there seems to be some who are unwilling to harbor even the slightest criticism towards his work.

Suckerpunch sucks.

Is porfiria really asking questions in good faith?

porfiria posted:

"1) He thinks Superman is a fake God because God can't be all powerful and all good (and this also how he sees his dad(?))"

porfiria posted:

"He thinks Superman is a fake God"

No, he doesn't. He also doesn't think he is a real god.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ferrinus posted:

Both true in BvS, so I guess you got everything you wanted.

I know, But he does not feel or act like Luthor. When you look at him or see him talk on screen there is never one moment were you feel he is Lex Luthor. There is also the fact that he is not enjoyable to watch or listen to.

As a result I feel they wasted their Lex Luthor, similar to how they wasted their Joker.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

UmOk posted:

Suckerpunch sucks.

He is asking because he does not understand Luthor's motives.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is asking because he does not understand Luthor's motives.

Maybe because he's making up things that aren't in the movie?

Here is my question: If Batman's real name is Martha then why is Superman saying he needs to save him?

Guess I don't understand Superman's motivations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So as worrisome as the clips have looked so far, and as lame as Elfman's score sounds, I still love this cast and really hope JL ends up being good :pray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0WgQK54rY

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Danny Elfman posted:

Well, yeah. Styles change over the years. Back then I took it into what Tim used to call “the march.” Well, we wouldn’t do that now. That would be corny by today’s standards. So, I wrote stylistically how I would write now, not then, except for a few moments where Joss [Whedon] was very consciously like, “Let’s do the old thing right here!”

There are definitely nods throughout the movie to previous successors. I do use Hans Zimmer’s Wonder Woman theme a couple of times. Joss loves including a few of those moments in the music that you know the fans are going to love. So, there’s maybe, MAYBE one moment that’s dead-on 1989 Batman.

JOSSS!!!!!!! :argh:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/11/08/heroic-homecoming-danny-elfman-returns-to-score-justice-league?sf154766468=1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok so basically all the dumb scoring poo poo is from Joss and not Elfman. Makes a lot more sense.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Luthor in Beavis makes perfect sense when you realize hes a riff on New Atheist, alt right tech chuds who think that having a stem degree makes them qualified to run the world.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's interesting because people had reactions much like MonsterEnvy's to Man of Steel-the-comic's reinvention of Lex as an 80s Wall Street-esque business magnate who fought Superman largely with publicity and financial resources instead of mad science schemes and overt supervillainy.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

UmOk posted:

Suckerpunch sucks.

Yeah I didn't word that well but I think the meaning was pretty clear. Everything I typed was in good faith if a bit snarky--feel free to respond to that. Or continue to make an rear end out of yourself (because you rear end-umed I was smarter than I am, idiot).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

porfiria posted:

Yeah I didn't word that well but I think the meaning was pretty clear. Everything I typed was in good faith if a bit snarky--feel free to respond to that. Or continue to make an rear end out of yourself (because you rear end-umed I was smarter than I am, idiot).
Lex is a hypocrite and has gone pretty crazy before the start of the movie. At his fundraising event he starts rambling about books and how knowledge is power and he's amassing the most knowledge and therefore (implicitly, he is the most powerful man in the world!!)..... and realizes he's lost track of his train of thought. He may literally be one of the most powerful men on the planet (and knows it), but he somehow still feels weak and powerless (because the memory of his father haunts him... kinda like Batman!).

All he seems to be able to do is escalate his exercises of power: he's not just creating Doomsday as a backup plan to kill Superman, he's creating Doomsday because "gently caress you, dad!!" I think by the end he basically sees himself as a vessel of what DC comics tends to call the Anti-Life Equation; basically he has convinced himself he has no real agency and instead exists only to be/create the most powerful dude (or, to be powerful enough to impress Darkseid?). In his mind, gently caress Batman and Superman because they are trying to work outside the system and are therefore obviously idiots. Doomsday being mindlessly, increasingly destructive makes sense to me as an extension of Lex's insanity. The whole point is that he has no "legitimate" goal; he just wants more control and more power.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Davros1 posted:

This isn't exclusive to Snyder films at all, some of the complaints and responses could have happened in any of the Nolan Batman threads.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Lex is insane so to him the ends completely justify the means. Sure he killed everyone in Congress but at least he made Superman look bad in the public eye. Yes Doomsday will probably wipe out a large chunk of humanity before he’s stopped but at least he’ll kill Superman in the process.

I think Lex hates Superman because Superman has all this power and yet he doesn’t use it for his own benefit. He uses it to help the world and people look up to him for it. Lex never got any love as a child and even though he has all this money and power he doesn’t have anyone fawning over him for who he is.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Mr. Apollo posted:

Lex is insane so to him the ends completely justify the means. Sure he killed everyone in Congress but at least he made Superman look bad in the public eye. Yes Doomsday will probably wipe out a large chunk of humanity before he’s stopped but at least he’ll kill Superman in the process.

I think Lex hates Superman because Superman has all this power and yet he doesn’t use it for his own benefit. He uses it to help the world and people look up to him for it. Lex never got any love as a child and even though he has all this money and power he doesn’t have anyone fawning over him for who he is.

I think the jar of piss shows that he enjoys the means a lot as well. He's having a lot of fun throughout the film even when he's ostensibly losing because he's beating everyone else at 4D chess most of the time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
His speech at that event is a nice little character moment for Lex. I like how he rambles and lets his guard down and everyone else is super uncomfortable. You can tell he tries to present a "cool tech genius" look, wearing sneakers and sinking baskets, because the real him freaks people the gently caress out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Martman posted:

Lex is a hypocrite and has gone pretty crazy before the start of the movie. At his fundraising event he starts rambling about books and how knowledge is power and he's amassing the most knowledge and therefore (implicitly, he is the most powerful man in the world!!)..... and realizes he's lost track of his train of thought. He may literally be one of the most powerful men on the planet (and knows it), but he somehow still feels weak and powerless (because the memory of his father haunts him... kinda like Batman!).

All he seems to be able to do is escalate his exercises of power: he's not just creating Doomsday as a backup plan to kill Superman, he's creating Doomsday because "gently caress you, dad!!" I think by the end he basically sees himself as a vessel of what DC comics tends to call the Anti-Life Equation; basically he has convinced himself he has no real agency and instead exists only to be/create the most powerful dude (or, to be powerful enough to impress Darkseid?). In his mind, gently caress Batman and Superman because they are trying to work outside the system and are therefore obviously idiots. Doomsday being mindlessly, increasingly destructive makes sense to me as an extension of Lex's insanity. The whole point is that he has no "legitimate" goal; he just wants more control and more power.

I think you're giving David Goyer waaayy too much credit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's another thing, Lex seems to be mad at Superman/God for being there now instead of when he really needed him. It's not that God takes sides that bothers Lex, it's that God never took his side and protected him from daddies fists and abominations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Davros1 posted:

Weren't you complaining about low standards of discourse surrounding Snyder's films?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
"I don't understand Lex Luthor's motivations, the movie doesn't elaborate very well upon it" "He's insane!!!!!!!! It doesn't have to make sense!!!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

josh04 posted:

Weren't you complaining about low standards of discourse surrounding Snyder's films?

No. I was pointing out how some people don't like to hear any criticism, no matter how valid, of Snyder's films.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

No. I was pointing out how some people don't like to hear any criticism, no matter how valid, of Snyder's films.

Would you prefer if people just not respond to criticism?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CharlestonJew posted:

"I don't understand Lex Luthor's motivations, the movie doesn't elaborate very well upon it" "He's insane!!!!!!!! It doesn't have to make sense!!!"

Luthor's motivations make sense, and he is insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luthor's motivations make perfect sense except for the last minute Darkseid stuff which is pretty dumb and best left on the cutting room floor because it distorts his story and makes it less interesting, but that is basically Cinematic Universes in a nutshell. It's very rare when trying to set up a future film is to the current film's benefit. (Looking at you, 30 seconds Justice League Trailer.mp4 at the climactic scene in the film.)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Funny, people who do that at least make an effort to defend his films and explain their point of view. People who can't stand to hear Snyder do something right don't even bother to elaborate anything and simply call the fanbase deluded contrarians who convinced themselves they like garbage from a dudebro fascist objectivist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Funny, people who do that at least make an effort to defend his films and explain their point of view. People who can't stand to hear Snyder do something right don't even bother to elaborate anything and simply call the fanbase deluded contrarians who convinced themselves they like garbage from a dudebro fascist objectivist.

Thanks for proving my point.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, it's a reaction to crap like:

an adult beverage posted:

Is this the ironic contrarian BvS/Suicide Squad was achktually good thread? BvS is dogshit, and SS was one of the worst major studio releases of the last decade.

and the first response to that list of questions being "it's just bad and they ruined their characters". UmOk may have been a little harsh but it can be hard to distinguish good faith criticism/questions when you have "you guys are weirdo idiots and everyone knows these movies are terrible" peppered into the conversation.

Davros1 posted:

Thanks for proving my point.

lol, how?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

That's another thing, Lex seems to be mad at Superman/God for being there now instead of when he really needed him. It's not that God takes sides that bothers Lex, it's that God never took his side and protected him from daddies fists and abominations.

And of course, the very first thing that Superman does when Doomsday awakens is to protect Lex from the fist of an abomination.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inescapable Duck posted:

And of course, the very first thing that Superman does when Doomsday awakens is to protect Lex from the fist of an abomination.

That's the best part of the movie outside of Batman watching Superman and Zod gently caress the city up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

That's the best part of the movie outside of Batman watching Superman and Zod gently caress the city up.

I also love any of the scenes where Batman is just hanging out in his Ex Machina style bachelor pad brooding while Alfred nags him.

Basically any scene with Batman is good in BvS. Shame about Affleck being a sexual predator though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Nah, that's just how Goyer writes scripts. All that stuff is in every single one of his other superhero movie collabs.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Not only that, but that very brief moment goes a long way to clarifying Lex's motivations, if his literally deploying the Epicurean paradox/problem of evil to blame Clark for his father abusing him wasn't enough. Lex turns away from Clark to look upon his creation, but there's no pride or estimation that his creation is under his control. Indeed, he closes his eyes, waiting for it to kill him.

RBA Starblade posted:

This is where we come back to the weird complaint that Beavis relies too much on foregrounding Bruce's psychological anguish, rather than effectively using "story arc and plotting."

So, with the first two sequences of the film, we have young Bruce being orphaned, looking up into the sky, and ascending into "a light... a beautiful lie" in a vortex of bats; followed by Bruce embracing a recently orphaned child, as he looks up into the sky and sees fire and devils raining down.

Again, Beavis's greatest sin is that character comes first, and that story arc/plotting follows from how characters perceive and interpret the world around them. There is no 'objective reality' muting the disturbing events of the film, rationalizing how we should 'relate' to Bruce. In that moment, he sees the world as Lex sees it, with demons coming from heaven.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Review embargo lifts tomorrow. :ohdear:

[edit] For Social Media. Lifts 9AM PST.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 9, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nevermind, I misunderstood your post. 9am PST tomorrow for social media takes.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What do they mean by a social media embargo? The review embargo lifts at 2:50 am on November 15. Like what kind of stuff can’t you discuss on social media prior to the review embargo lifting?